Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 14:12 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
But isn't that just Freesync then? The whole kerfuffle about G-Sync was that the monitor needed the (expensive) G-Sync module in it, if 'G-Sync' works with a Freesync monitor, then to my mind that's just rebranded Freesync.

Yes. The non hardware version of Gsync is basically Nvidia GPUs just running the standard Freesync in the way that it runs. They still swear blind their hardware works better than that of course, but won't state why. Still dude, it is still a proper adaptive sync tech and not a soft one (that basically uses Vsync but disables it when you don't need it) and thus comes with all of the trappings of Freesync.

So far the only fully supported monitors do not have a G sync equivalent. Like, they still have not officially approved my 240hz Alienware Freesync monitor, even though it should have been one of the first on the list (highest refresh and lowest response at 1ms).

Whilst I am very happy with them right now a part of me knows exactly why they did it. I will explain my theory...

AMD come along and say "Hey, we are going to make what Nvidia are making to make syncing better than ever, and we're going to give you it completely free. Not at the £150 or so Nvidia charge". People go "Oh wow, that's awesome" and then invest into a Freesync panel. Then Vega comes out and they all go "Oh crap, that was a bad mistake". Thing is? near on everybody on OCUK forums who bought a Vega basically confessed that the only reason they had bought a Vega was because they had committed to Freesync (kinda like back in the day when you had to commit to either a Crossfire or SLi motherboard, then stick with it). As such AMD sold more Vegas than they probably should have, because of this choice you had to make.

Thus, I think the reason Nvidia are finally loosening their grip on G sync is to basically take away *all* sales from AMD and stop giving people any reason at all to choose them.

Remember though, that is just my theory.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 14:21 

No, it's because

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
All this shit goes away with HDMI 2.21, by the way, which bakes variable refresh rates into the entire standard.

https://displaylag.com/hdmi-2-1-brings- ... esh-rates/

Nvidia can't not support that, which means the writing is on the wall for G-Sync's expensive hardware-based approach. So it loses little by not supporting Freesync today.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 15:11 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
No, it's because

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
All this shit goes away with HDMI 2.21, by the way, which bakes variable refresh rates into the entire standard.

https://displaylag.com/hdmi-2-1-brings- ... esh-rates/

Nvidia can't not support that, which means the writing is on the wall for G-Sync's expensive hardware-based approach. So it loses little by not supporting Freesync today.

Aye, and gains sales to people who bought a Freesync monitor.

I loved Gsync when I first used it on my Acer. I mean really, it was totally a game changer because it operates right where you need it to. It pained me to get a monitor without it, but a 32" decent monitor with Gsync then was nearly three times the cost of the one I bought. With the 240hz screen it was easy because I got a Vega 64. Of course I never see 200FPS or more, but it does hover around 100-120 in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider and I can definitely feel the hike in response over my 7ms screen. So this is my FPS box, and my large more reserved monitor is for slow paced games and RPG.

It's a lovely little bonus is this :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 16:27 
Esoteric

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... ort-tested

Decent article there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 16:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes I read that earlier, I'm going to give it a go this evening, my panel does 40-60Hz in Freesync which should cover the framerate variance I'm seeing in Sniper Elite 4 perfectly.

My exact panel isn't on the Reddit megalist linked in the article but other LG panels seem to be performing fairly well despite not being on the Nvidia certified list.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 17:23 
Esoteric

Only issue I've seen so far was a Freesync 2 monitor and it was strobing. Mine was fine though, and I always drive it to 4k using DSR and mostly play Fallout 4 which has to be capped at 70hz or it starts acting really odd.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 18:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Crikey, this works really, really well.

PRO TIP - You won't see the G-Sync option in the Nvidia Control Panel unless you've put your monitor into Freesync mode first, or at least that's what I had to do.

Once enabled Windows 'helpfully' put my scaling up to 150% (for REASONS) and set my default sound output to the monitor's speakers (for REASONS), but once I'd put those back to HOW THEY WERE FUCKING SET BEFORE, all was fine.

Literally just enable Freesync through the monitor's OSD, check the box in Nvida's Control Panel - boom, Freesync.

Tried Sniper Elite 4 and it works perfectly, the horrible dips into the 40s and 50s come when I'm hiding in deep foliage and everything goes into a sort of translucent mode. Also when there's loads of shit blowing up. With normal V-Sync this really did get quite unpleasantly juddery, with Freesync turned on, I still get the framerate dips, but none of the juddering as of course my monitor is refreshing at the same rate as the graphics card's frame rendering.

I'm also not seeing any of the stuff that can apparently go wrong such as ghosting or strobing or the other one which I've forgotten.

Oh yes and Nvidia can fuck off with calling it G-Sync. If I turn on an option on my monitor called Freesync - (a monitor which doesn't support G-Sync and doesn't have the module in it) - and my Nvidia graphics card then works with it, that's Freesync.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:17 
Esoteric

Yeah, you can still feel the action slowing down a bit but it's really smooth. That was what struck me when I used it on my Titan Blacks in SLi on a 4k monitor. Moments at 30 FPS were common, and especially quite large dips down from 60. But your aim and reactions don't go to crap like they do on Vsync.

Like, on my GTX 470 there was a level on BF3 that had me completely stuck. It was the bit where you are in a mall with a sniper rifle. Well I was getting terrible input lag which meant I kept dying. I swapped out the card for one with more VRAM (and thus able to hold the FPS better because it wasn't texture streaming) and bang, straight through that level first try.

Did you notice how Eurogamer refused to call it Gsync? that did make me chuckle. "Nvidia Freesync support" haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:39 
Hello Hello Hello

TBH my dips in SE4 are mainly into the 50s so scarcely perceptible with Freesync, whereas standard V-Sync caused visible and nasty juddering (of course you really want a totally solid 60FPS if you're using V-Sync).

The 40s dips tend to come when I'm in heavy cover, which by definition is either crouched or prone, moving very slowly or still, so the drops into the 40s coincide with low movement anyway, so once more it doesn't really impact gameplay with Freesync on.

I can see this making my 1080 a 'full 4K' card, it can do 4K in most games, most of the time, with a bit of nipping and tucking to graphics options (DOOM being the exception with its astonishingly well optimised engine in Vulkan, which is a solid 4K@60FPS@ULTRA across the board), but there are always those areas where framerate tanks and with normal V-Sync that's pretty unpleasant.

I'm glad Nvidia have added it to their drivers, although as DocG noted it's coming anyway as part of the standard so they had to anyway really, but I shall carry on calling it Freesync for now, because that's what it is - and then whatever the agreed name for it is once it's part of the standard.

40-60Hz is a pretty poor range and is all my monitor is capable of, but it's perfect for my scenario as the 1080 is never going to push out many more frames than 60FPS at 4K anyway, and drops below 40 are basically non-existent - so I've got a bit lucky there since I didn't consider the Freesync specs at all when I bought it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 14:24 
Esoteric

Well at least you shouldn't get any tearing lower than 40 FPS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 15:02 
Gogmagog

Jaggies!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 21:27 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
Jaggies!

Yup, of the worst kind :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 0:18 
Prince of Fops

Look at dem jaggies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 23:29 
Can you dig it?

G-Sync is totally a better name though, ain't nothing like a G thang, baby

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 23:33 
Can you dig it?

I was in a uni lecture about some DNA/RNA stuff (dunno the exact details) and the lecturer mentioned that this particular way of producing mRNA always ended in it being 'capped by a G'

BBBRRRRRRAP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 
Prince of Fops

Apologies for the likely noobish question, but I've not been able to find a satisfactory answer to this online:

I have an external hard drive I used to back up my old, broken Macbook.

I no longer need that back up.

What I do need is an external drive to back up my home PC. Therefore I want to format the external drive for Windows and copy the contents of my PC to it.

I plug the drive into my PC, it doesn't show up, presumably because it's formatted for Mac.

I launch diskmgmt.msc

It appears.

I right-click on it and the only option it gives me is: Convert to Dynamic Disk.

What is that going to do? Is it the step I need to take to achieve my bolded text, or should I be doing something else?

P.S. I cannot use my Macbook to do any of this, it's broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, go ahead and convert to dynamic, then it should allow you to format it.

You don't want any of the data on there, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 
Excellent Member

The stuff about using the diskpart utility here claims to sort it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/195530/how-to ... ows-drive/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:58 
Prince of Fops

Cheers!

Nah I don't need anything off the hard disk, I copied the important stuff off the Macbook itself when I moved to PC.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 16:03 
Esoteric

Pre ordered that just now for £34.99. Amazon etc prices are mad.

Having looked at the required specs it seems I'm OK for 1080p with the Vega 64 machine, and 1440p with the Titan XP.

Quite excited now. I loved Last Light, I thought it was one of the best games I've played yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 23:50 
Prince of Fops

Hubba hubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 20:27 
Hello Hello Hello

So my Chromebook is getting a bit long in the tooth now, it still works 'OK' for what I need but it struggles with graphics-heavy websites, can be somewhat laggy doing Google docs/drive stuff, and is very much in that space where it's often not pleasant to use. (The Celeron processor and 2GB RAM were clearly the constraining factors.)

Now don't get me wrong here, I bought it 4 1/2 years ago for £200 so I'm not complaining at all, but it needed to be replaced.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 12#p834912

Initially I was going to replace it with a better Chromebook, but to get out of the 'junk spec' range (i.e. at least at i3) you need to spend a few hundred quid, and you're still making the 'Chromebook Compromises' in the process. I was looking at spending £400-£500 on a nicely specced model, when this turned up on special offer for £300 at EBuyer. (Picture below.)

Allegedly it was reduced from about six billion pounds (£629 IIRC) but saner prices seem to put it around the £400-£450 mark, which is exactly what I was looking at spending on a Chromebook of similar (or lesser!) specs, at which point you may as well get full-fat Windows really.

Anyway it turned up today and it's pretty nifty. First off it didn't come pre-loaded with too much crap, just McAfee and a Cyberpower Suite of bollocks to uninstall as the main offenders. Thereafter it was the usual Windows rigmarole of updates and configuration, but it's all a lot less painless than it used to be, and the nippy processer plus 256GB SSD made it pretty quick to do.

Got it signing in with my Microsoft account for OneDrive and that, plus signed into Chrome for all the Google side of things. It runs Hearthstone nicely, Spotify is installed with my playlists stored locally, and overall it runs like an impressively snappy Windows system.

4GB RAM is a bit mean but OK for what it will be doing, however the main headlines are the dual-core i3 with hyper-threading at 2.4GHz, and that 256GB SSD which is (a) A nice amount of storage and (b) Very fast.

It's even got some aluminium in the build for the main keyboard part of the shell, the rest is plastic though.

Oh yes proper 1080p screen too.

Unfortunately EBuyer have sold out now (they cleared their entire stock on the special offer day), but if you see them pop up again at this price point there or anywhere else, they're a proper bargain IMO.

Chromebooks stop making sense when you can get a nicer specced Windows 10 machine for the same (or less!) money.

Attachment:
noters1.JPG

Attachment:
noters2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 14:42 
Esoteric

Just moved three of my PCs. That taught me a very valuable lesson, and that is that it's best just to have one. Yes.

It's also not a good idea to keep every single last box for every PC component you own, or have owned that may have died and gone in the bin. My wardrobes have no clothes in them, they were just packed from bottom to top with PC boxes and headphone boxes ffs.

If I was sensible I would have a laptop like you. Heck, I may even need to get a cheapo one for when the move goes down. Hoping for now I can get away with the Blackberry, but we'll see. I had a lovely little Macbook Air I sold. Should've kept it really.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 18:01 
UltraMod

GTX 1660 Ti ties with 1070 and 20-25% faster than the similarly priced RX 590.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidia-gefor ... ti-review/

Great midrange card for those still with 1080p displays, but can struggle at 1440p on newer titles, much like the 1070.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 18:35 
Esoteric

Great if not for the fact the Vega 56 just dropped to £250-£270 and utterly demolishes it.

I'd rather buy a 2060. At least you get something exclusive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 18:38 

“Utterly demolishes it.”

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 18:45 
UltraMod

It demolishes it in the way a wrecking ball made of rubber demolishes a rubber house, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 18:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

The eye can't perceive anything above 24fps anyway, so it's just wasted money either way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 19:05 
Esoteric

It's quite common knowledge that out of the box the 56 is awful. It needs under-volting quite substantially and then it boosts and manually overclocks high giving it much better performance and thermals.

It also depends on which games you look at, not an overall average. In ground up DX12 titles and not "patch in" titles the Vega is much better. In certain DX12 titles the 64 is now nipping at the heels of the 1080ti. Mostly because that is what Vega was designed for and thus is better at.

Moving into the future I would guess that we will see more DX12 titles than DX11 ones, unless a game has been in development for years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 19:07 
Hello Hello Hello

At least I didn't just buy a mini-GTX1060 for Jnr's PC. That was only £200 though, whereas the 1660Ti starts at £260.

Actually, the performance/cost ratio of the 1060 versus the 1660 isn't that far out really, so I basically got what I paid for.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 19:09 
Esoteric

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu ... i_review/4

Example 1. Also

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu ... i_review/9

Both ground up DX12 titles.

Oh and Hearth, considering you can get a 1070 right now for £270 there's no value in the 1660 at all. It's literally the same for the same.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 19:48 
UltraMod

It's not literally the same, as the Eurogamer points out if you read past the graphs and pay attention to the words.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 19:57 
Esoteric

Lonewolves wrote:
It's not literally the same, as the Eurogamer points out if you read past the graphs and pay attention to the words.

Whenever any new hardware launches I make sure to check as many reviews on as many sites as possible. This way I can eliminate any issues, and, get the big picture.

I also rate cards based on performance per £ and, in the titles that give me the big picture for the future. Even in SOTTR the 56 wins. Not by a big margin, but big enough when you consider it is a NVIDIA title. I don't count older games as I would not be looking to buy a new card to play old games on.

Eurogamer tend to favor NVIDIA. That's fair enough, as there are places that favour AMD (well, as much as they can).

Also consider that until the price cut for £299 you could get a 56 with FC5 (which it is also faster than the 1660 at) RE2 and another top end game.

Right now most £ per performance NVIDIA offer no value anywhere apart from where they have no competition and can charge whatever they like, which they seem to be doing lately.

Edit. Today was a first for something in a long time. Let me explain. Today Asus sent OC3D their low end card as well as the top end one (the £330 Strix. I know right? Same price as a 2060). Now usually these companies only send out their top end cards for review. Which means in the cold light of day what you bought is usually a chunk slower than the more expensive model.

Personally I would stump up the extra and buy the cheapest 2060 you can. In heavy DX12 titles it's still slightly slower than the 56 but it's easier to live with and as I said, you do at least get something exclusive.

This card is like the Turing variant of the Pascal 1050ti, only for twice the cost. It's also ironic being that it's expensive because it's Turing, yet has been robbed of what makes Turing new.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 21:53 
Bad Girl

See, literally the exact same.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 22:17 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
See, literally the exact same.

Without counting frames on one hand it's pretty much a 1070. As the resolution increases so does the Vram use and it has been argued lately that 6gb is just enough for 1440p. So the 1070 has the advantage there.

Either way it's highly doubtful you could possibly use it for 1440p as it's not man enough, and thus that makes it a 1080p card. It's no 2060, which seems to be what everyone was expecting from it (2060 without the RT).

I've looked over the OC3D review time and again, and the difference is almost non existent to the 1070.

I don't find it terribly exciting. In fact I think that NVIDIA over estimated their audience and now they're not selling cards they released this as a cash cow.

And it's not. I would argue that for 1080p a cut price RX 580 would be more than enough. Or, I would stump up the £299 asking price for the cheapest 2060 as it is much quicker. And has RTX and DLSS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 23:07 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Either way it's highly doubtful you could possibly use it for 1440p as it's not man enough, and thus that makes it a 1080p card.
Thousands of words later and you’re back to where myp started:

Lonewolves wrote:
Great midrange card for those still with 1080p displays, but can struggle at 1440p on newer titles, much like the 1070.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 
Hello Hello Hello

It's annoyingly expensive for what it is, I remember getting my GTX970 for £240 and that was in kicking range of the GTX980, which was the top of the range card at the time.

I should have probably got a mini 1070 for Jnr's PC since they're £260, the 1060 is a good card but struggles in Apex Legends at 1920x1200 (which is the native res of her screen), the extra horsepower of the 1070 (or 1660Ti) would have been useful.

The adaptive resolution takes care of it and maintains the 60FPS lock, but the resolution decrease is definitely noticeable in some scenes.

(Not that she's playing the game anyway, so it's kind of a moot point really.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 14:07 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Either way it's highly doubtful you could possibly use it for 1440p as it's not man enough, and thus that makes it a 1080p card.
Thousands of words later and you’re back to where myp started:

Lonewolves wrote:

If what I said (yet again) had not been taken out of context there wouldn't be the words.

JohnCoffey wrote:
I also rate cards based on performance per £

Let's look at that shall we, and why I said this.

JohnCoffey wrote:
Great if not for the fact the Vega 56 just dropped to £250-£270 and utterly demolishes it.

I'd rather buy a 2060. At least you get something exclusive.

And why I said it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-rade ... 43-ms.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire ... 8f-sp.html

OK so £248 or so with RE2 (£30+ on CDKeys) The Division 2 (not checked, but £40+ alone) and FC5 (still £25 on key sites).

That means you are getting nearly a ton's worth of games with it, that it's quite likely you would buy any way (I've bought one and am buying another, not a RE fan) and thus I consider that quite the demolition, given that it's nearly £100 cheaper than this with all said and done.

Maybe if people understood me (and autism) a little better and stopped jumping down my throat upon my every word the text would not happen. Remember, I am wired completely different to you are and I see and understand things differently. In my initial appraisal I took how I feel about GPUs and how I rate them into account, probably not how you would see it. That doesn't make any one wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 14:31 
UltraMod

I do not understand autism, obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 14:36 
Esoteric

Lonewolves wrote:
I do not understand autism, obviously.

I don't have this problem anywhere else. I am still very much a forumite, as I don't do Facebook groups, and I have none of the issues I have here on other forums. If people don't understand what I said they just ignore it. If I realise what I said doesn't make sense? I simply correct it, after I've had hours and hours to think about it.

That's the new Dirt game.

I think a lot of people are ill informed about Vega, and how well it performs in proper DX12 titles.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 14:52 

JohnCoffey wrote:
OK so £248 or so with RE2 (£30+ on CDKeys) The Division 2 (not checked, but £40+ alone) and FC5 (still £25 on key sites).
Those games are only worth that if one was about to buy them anyway. To anyone who doesn't want them or already has them, they have little to no value. To simply say "that's a hundred quid's worth" is nonsense.
Quote:
Maybe if people understood me (and autism) a little better and stopped jumping down my throat upon my every word the text would not happen.
I don't have this problem anywhere else. I am still very much a forumite, as I don't do Facebook groups, and I have none of the issues I have here on other forums. If people don't understand what I said they just ignore it. If I realise what I said doesn't make sense? I simply correct it, after I've had hours and hours to think about it.
So the only two possibilities you have here are "I'm not explaining myself" and "people aren't understanding me." You appear to have left out the possibility that you are ever just wrong abut stuff. We know you have a stick up your arse about Nvidia because you spent many thousands of pounds on multiple dozen top-of-the-range GPUs and then got buyer's regret, but we can give the Team Green Versus Team Red To The Death stuff a rest now.

Quote:
That's the new Dirt game.
This graph, apart from being in Russian, doesn't even have the 1660 on it.

Quote:
I think a lot of people are ill informed about Vega, and how well it performs in proper DX12 titles.

Sure, maybe you're the lone voice of reason and the rest of us sheeple are living in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 15:20 
Esoteric

Or maybe it's the fact that you simply don't like AMD?

Last edited by Grim... on Sat Feb 23, 2019 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Erased some text like some kind of technomancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 15:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

/unplugs server

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 16:06 
Esoteric

Grim... wrote:
/unplugs server

I tried to edit that four times but it just keeps putting the quotes back. Maybe you can take a look at it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 16:20 
Bad Girl

Quote:
That means you are getting nearly a ton's worth of games with it, that it's quite likely you would buy any way (I've bought one and am buying another, not a RE fan)

I like all the Resi’s I’ve played apart from Veronica. Y’know what doesn’t get enough love? The two Wii lightgun games. They were both fab.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 16:42 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
Quote:
That means you are getting nearly a ton's worth of games with it, that it's quite likely you would buy any way (I've bought one and am buying another, not a RE fan)

I like all the Resi’s I’ve played apart from Veronica. Y’know what doesn’t get enough love? The two Wii lightgun games. They were both fab.

What was that Namco game with the pedal? I loved that. Oh and Gunbullet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 16:42 
Hello Hello Hello

That'd be Time Crisis I think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 16:56 
Comfortably Dumb

JohnCoffey wrote:

What was that Namco game with the pedal?

Attachment:
prop-cycle.PNG

;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 17:02 
UltraMod

I almost did this. And now I will.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 17:11 
Bad Girl

JohnCoffey wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
Quote:

What was that Namco game with the pedal? I loved that. Oh and Gunbullet.

Ridge Racer?

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 119  Next