Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 0:43 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
I liked the idea of not being to see.

Just close your eyes mate

I like that idea more when you’re in the room.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

I know it's hard to take, but her mind has been made up.
There's plenty more fish in the sea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Oh :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 17:21 
Unpossible!

Taking the family to see Spiderverse as an end-of-holidays treat. I've been off for so long, I don't think I even remember where I work

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 17:28 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
Taking the family to see Spiderverse as an end-of-holidays treat. I've been off for so long, I don't think I even remember where I work

Let us know what you think. I'm keen to take the kids, I think 7 yo Fop would be fine, but suspect it may be a bit violent for 2.5 yo Fop.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 18:49 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:

Hey yo!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 21:56 
Unpossible!

Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Let us know what you think. I'm keen to take the kids, I think 7 yo Fop would be fine, but suspect it may be a bit violent for 2.5 yo Fop.

It was AWESOME. My kids are nearly-eight and just-turned-six and they both loved it. There's no graphic violence but there are a few on screen deaths. It is rather long too, so maybe the youngling might struggle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 0:02 
Sleepyhead

KovacsC wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Oh :(

That was a shot at Mop, not you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:57 
Bad Girl

So I saw Bumblebee.

I went in with low expectations and I was not disappointed. It’s 40% a girl and her special car, ala Herbie, and 60% typical Transformer movie.

By far the best bits of the film are the Herbie bits as the new girl discovers Bumblebee and they have a jolly time as Bumblebee gets to grips living on earth with the humans. All of these are funny and endearing and I could have watched much more of this. The bit where they get back at the bully was genuinely hilarious. Oh and the soundtrack is excellent.

The worse bits are just generic smashy robot shit. These bits are better than the Michael Bay movies, as the action isn’t always a jumbled mess of CGI screen splooge, thankfully, but they are always kinda meh to watch. There’s no risk or tension in the action either as Bumblebee dies only to be revived 2 minutes later. I said the same with Black Panther and the same goes here: I have no idea why they do this crap time and time again. I’m not invested because I know he’ll be back straightaway. And he was. And they set up this crap where the main girl is a world class diving champion and hasn’t done a dive since her dad died. I nudged my mate and said “I bet she does a dive in the last 5 minutes” and she did. Yawn.

Worst still is that the film has two main baddies that are all but made up for this film: Shatter and Dropkick. Never heard of them. Me neither. And they’re boring. And what’s worst and really fucked me off was that in the beginning of the film you see all these cool Gen.1 Autobots and Decepticons that you actually know that aren’t in the actual film. Mind you, Ravage shoots out of Soundwave and he’s white. Fucks sake. And that female robot from Transformers: The Movie is in the background. That was fun. Cliffjumper is in it for a minute. Blitzwing is in it for a bit and he’s also the wrong fucking colour - he looks like Starscream and I actually thought it was Starscream until he spoke and it wasn’t him so I had to look up who it was supposed to be afterwards. Wasters.

And of course the military is involved and led by fucking morons. They are annoying, pointless and should have been completely cut from the film. Especially John Cena. Urgh, he’s so stupid. When he saluted at the end of the film I punched myself in the nuts to make sure I was still awake and that actually happened.

4/10 because the 40% of the Herbie film was great.

Y’know, what they should have done is made it into a Herbie style film. I’d have bloody loved that. Bumblebee helping his gal pal out at school and with her bullies and stuff, pushing her towards her love interest and getting up to mischief. No Decepticons, no battles, just a girl and her Transforming car. Now that would have been a fantastic film. They clearly had the chops to do it because all of these bits are hilarious. Ah well, you get this crap instead. Maybe next time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:08 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

It was AWESOME. My kids are nearly-eight and just-turned-six and they both loved it. There's no graphic violence but there are a few on screen deaths. It is rather long too, so maybe the youngling might struggle.

Jolly good, will bring to the Fop table.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 16:45 
Sleepyhead

Saw 'Ralph Breaks the Internet'.

Really enjoyed it. Loads of nice little gags in the background, fun story, just an enjoyable movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 

Satsuma wrote:
So I saw Bumblebee.

I went in with low expectations and I was not disappointed. It’s 40% a girl and her special car, ala Herbie, and 60% typical Transformer movie.

By far the best bits of the film are the Herbie bits as the new girl discovers Bumblebee and they have a jolly time as Bumblebee gets to grips living on earth with the humans. All of these are funny and endearing and I could have watched much more of this. The bit where they get back at the bully was genuinely hilarious. Oh and the soundtrack is excellent.

The worse bits are just generic smashy robot shit. These bits are better than the Michael Bay movies, as the action isn’t always a jumbled mess of CGI screen splooge, thankfully, but they are always kinda meh to watch. There’s no risk or tension in the action either as Bumblebee dies only to be revived 2 minutes later. I said the same with Black Panther and the same goes here: I have no idea why they do this crap time and time again. I’m not invested because I know he’ll be back straightaway. And he was. And they set up this crap where the main girl is a world class diving champion and hasn’t done a dive since her dad died. I nudged my mate and said “I bet she does a dive in the last 5 minutes” and she did. Yawn.

Worst still is that the film has two main baddies that are all but made up for this film: Shatter and Dropkick. Never heard of them. Me neither. And they’re boring. And what’s worst and really fucked me off was that in the beginning of the film you see all these cool Gen.1 Autobots and Decepticons that you actually know that aren’t in the actual film. Mind you, Ravage shoots out of Soundwave and he’s white. Fucks sake. And that female robot from Transformers: The Movie is in the background. That was fun. Cliffjumper is in it for a minute. Blitzwing is in it for a bit and he’s also the wrong fucking colour - he looks like Starscream and I actually thought it was Starscream until he spoke and it wasn’t him so I had to look up who it was supposed to be afterwards. Wasters.

And of course the military is involved and led by fucking morons. They are annoying, pointless and should have been completely cut from the film. Especially John Cena. Urgh, he’s so stupid. When he saluted at the end of the film I punched myself in the nuts to make sure I was still awake and that actually happened.

4/10 because the 40% of the Herbie film was great.

Y’know, what they should have done is made it into a Herbie style film. I’d have bloody loved that. Bumblebee helping his gal pal out at school and with her bullies and stuff, pushing her towards her love interest and getting up to mischief. No Decepticons, no battles, just a girl and her Transforming car. Now that would have been a fantastic film. They clearly had the chops to do it because all of these bits are hilarious. Ah well, you get this crap instead. Maybe next time.

Wow, you are the yardstick to measure films with
If you hate them, I know I will enjoy them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:12 
Can you dig it?

'Sully' was really really good good. Well acted and directed. Aaron Eckhart had an awesome 'tache.

It captured the confidence, worry, and doubt after a truly
remarkable event exceedingly well, I thought, and at 90 minutes it didn't outstay it's welcome, staying pretty tight and focused. The crash bits were really quite tense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 18:06 
Bad Girl

I watched a film I enjoyed!

Inside Out - it’s a Disney Pixar one init. It’s lots of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 22:37 

Satsuma wrote:
I watched a film I enjoyed!

Inside Out - it’s a Disney Pixar one init. It’s lots of fun.

It is really good. Angry guy is great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 23:50 
Comfortably Dumb

Saw Suicide Squad yesterday and have already forgotten large chunks of it. Only thing that really stood out was how lazy the soundtrack was. Some of the classic rock songs were rather jarringly shoehorned in it seemed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:09 
Sleepyhead

Just watched ‘Split’, which was great fun.

Sequel comes out next week, which ties it together with Unbreakable. Should be fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 18:56 

Went to see Aquaman. it is sort of Underwater Superman, meets tron, meets Jurrasic park. A really silly plot, it was great.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 
Bad Girl

Oh god, I’ve just turned on C.I.A. with Kevin Hart and The Rock and The Rock is making me cry! This could be the highlight of his career.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:39 
Bad Girl

I’m big into ‘corns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 13:25 
Bad Girl

How the hell did Kevin Hart get a lead role in a film? Who is he sucking off?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 13:55 
Bad Girl

Oh, that was a trachea.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 14:12 
Bad Girl

Turns out it was called Central Intelligence.

Anyway, it’s shit but The Rock is amazing. There’s very few laughs but every single one of them comes from The Rock just being this daft childish character.

Thinking about it, I’d like to see The Rock in a remake of BIG. Or Kindergarten Cop. Actually, no, never remake that. Mind you, I reckon he needs a straight film to really boost his career - something nasty and gritty. Like, real shit. Something like The Departed. I’d love to see him really tested cause I think he’s got it in him. It’s just a shame that he can’t escape the fact that he’s a massive bodybuilder looking guy.

Anyhoo, it needed a funnier and better script. All the funny stuff was front loaded. And it needed to get rid of Kevin Hart: he’s terrible. In everything he’s ever been in ever. And he was shit in SNL. I suppose they were trying to find another Rush Hour-esq pairing. It just didn’t work for me though.

3/10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 15:02 
Excellent Member

Yeah, Kevin Hart's entire career continue to confuse me; he's fucking awful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 15:08 
SavyGamer

Bamba wrote:
Yeah, Kevin Hart's entire career continue to confuse me; he's fucking awful.

He sure knows how to scream and shout though.

That and make the same joke about how short he is over and over again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 15:17 
Unpossible!

He was good in Jumanji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 20:30 
Sleepyhead

The Rock was good in Pain and Gain, where he got to do some real acting at times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 22:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

He got to do proper real acting in Snitch.

And Ballers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 0:17 
Can you dig it?

This weekend we watched two whole films on Internetflicks

Lady T's Choice: Left Behind
Have you ever wondered how hard it is to make a good film? There are so many good ones now, that must be because it's easy to write a plot with interest and drama; characters that are realistic and interesting, dialogue that is natural and relevant to the plot; music that suits the tone of the film (although no one really notices the soundtrack, do they)... right?
Wrong! This is a bad film... it's not even offensively bad or hateful, just bad, boring, poor, wooden dialogue and acting, characters pinched from elsewhere (imagine Brad Pitt's investigative journalist [or whatever it] was from World War Z but reduced to nothing but holding a camera and having some 'insight'), and the music stands out so badly as it just doesn't fit.
I fell asleep twice in this film and didn't miss much, and still felt bored. Poor Nic Cage, it's like he was tranquilised or something. Still, the IMDB trivia, which I must read after every film says he got paid 3mil for 10 days work on this.

My choice (based on Hearthly's comments): Escape Plan
After Left Behind, trying to pair up the lids with the tupperware pots would have been a blessed relief, so the bar was low. It was a decent film, fun, bit cheesy, and a bit silly in places but I was just about able to suspend disbelief. Reminded me a bit of the Christopher Lambert Fortress film, which I'm a sucker for. A solid 73%.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 22:44 
Bad Girl

I watched a “YouTube Original”.

It’s called Bodied. Co-signed by Eminem (and his film company Shady Films?) it’s another film about Rap Battles. But not those 90’s battles where you freestyled over a beat: the modern rap battles where you speak to people in rhymes.

8 Mile was terrific mainly cause the characters were believable, the acting was on point, the story was relatable and the rap battles were just the icing on the cake. You watched it to see what happened to the character and ocasionally they rapped at each other. It’s a great film.

This is the opposite. You don’t care about the characters who talk to each other like Dawson’s Creek rejects performing a weak facsimile of Good Will Hunting. The rap battles are decent and there’s some funny lines but you’ll be skipping the bits inbetween. The characters aren’t likeable or relatable, the actors are universally terrible (the main star I hated), the story isn’t even there ... half way through white boy gets kicked out of university for being homophobic and racist in a rap battle that’s on, you guessed it, YouTube, and there’s a rally to protest him. His dad is the dean and won’t take him in, his girlfriend hates him, he’s homeless, he doesn’t have a job and... he does a rap battle for $5000 which won’t last him long. He wins the battle of course but then it ends. What was the consequence of all the shit that happened to him? Not that I cared but it isn’t like he landed a cush job or something. And his dad...he’s a lecturer at university who has a flock of young ladies preening around him like he’s a rockstar because...fuck knows. It doesn’t go anywhere. It’s just a weird thing that’s in a film. And it’s two fucking hours long. Two fucking hours. Oh, but the cinematography is alright for the subject matter that rarely strays outside of ‘an empty basement.’

It’s like the film version of Eminem’s Revival album. 2/10 for the battle raps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 23:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The final boss in 8 Mile (Clarance) is played by the same dude that plays Falcon in the Marvel movies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 
Bad Girl

Giphy "i can only get so erect":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/zKsfeEYZI4Ku4/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:20 

Wait that's a teaser trailer for a trailer

literally

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 

I picked the latest movie that we watched: Swimming With Men.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81028345? ... d=13752289

Rob Brydon accidentally joins a men’s synchronised swimming team whilst going through a midlife crisis. It’s great. Funny and warm, a couple of poignant moments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night I watched INCEPTION which has turned up on Netflix and somehow I've never seen before. I figured its dream within a dream within a dream surrealism would be a refreshing dose of reality when compared to the world of Brexit.

It's pretty good, albeit total hokum if you even begin to think it through, it sort of sets up the rules of its world and obeys them but they're so nonsensical you may as well just strap yourself in for the ride and enjoy it.

As ever with Nolan it's all very well put together with great action, effects and setpieces, strong cast, good script, compelling narrative, and characters we care about, although it suffered a bit as a PG-13/12 and would have benefited from some R/15 style shenanigans IMO.

Also it dragged a bit in a couple of areas, I could have done without the extended sequence where the dude gets everyone out in zero gravity to the lift so he can do the 'jolt' thing, for example.

So yeah, kind of what I was expecting it to be really, very good but not exceptional.

740/1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
Last night I watched INCEPTION which has turned up on Netflix and somehow I've never seen before. I figured its dream within a dream within a dream surrealism would be a refreshing dose of reality when compared to the world of Brexit.

It's pretty good, albeit total hokum if you even begin to think it through, it sort of sets up the rules of its world and obeys them but they're so nonsensical you may as well just strap yourself in for the ride and enjoy it.

As ever with Nolan it's all very well put together with great action, effects and setpieces, strong cast, good script, compelling narrative, and characters we care about, although it suffered a bit as a PG-13/12 and would have benefited from some R/15 style shenanigans IMO.

Also it dragged a bit in a couple of areas, I could have done without the extended sequence where the dude gets everyone out in zero gravity to the lift so he can do the 'jolt' thing, for example.

So yeah, kind of what I was expecting it to be really, very good but not exceptional.

740/1000

I rewatched that too recently and every time I see it, the bit that drags for me is the whole snowy shootout stuff... it goes on way too long. Still a very good film though.

Other recent watches/rewatches -

2:22. The synopsis is - "A man's life is derailed when an ominous pattern of events repeats itself in exactly the same manner every day, ending at precisely 2:22 p.m." which sounded potentially interesting, but ended up being a dull romantic drama instead.

First Blood - Bought the HD Remaster on Amazon and it still doesn't even have subtitles. Still a great film and I'm surprised it took me so long to make the connection between it and some of the Golden Axe sound effects

The Running Man - Haven't seen it in ages and expected it to have dated visually, but it still holds up very well

Sneakers - If you're on Amazon Prime and sign up for the Studio Universal Classics channel trial thingy, you can watch this. Obviously some of the hacking bits are nonsense, but it's still an enjoyable film with a great cast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 
Hello Hello Hello

devilman wrote:
I rewatched that too recently and every time I see it, the bit that drags for me is the whole snowy shootout stuff... it goes on way too long. Still a very good film though.

Ahh yes that section got rather tedious, it didn't help that the fighting and shooting weren't amazingly well choreographed and completely bloodless, if it'd been 'John Wicked' a bit more, I might have been more on board with it.

As ever with many modern films, 15-20 minutes (at least!) could have been lost from the runtime to make a tighter, tauter experience.

Nolan is often guilty of this though, I'm still looking at you, The Dark Knight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:
The Running Man - Haven't seen it in ages and expected it to have dated visually, but it still holds up very well

That's set in 2019, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:17 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:

Yup, 2017-2019 apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I always thought that would be an excellent candidate for a remake, given how far from the book the current version is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WELL NOW WHAT AM I THINKING ABOUT DOING, CRASTER?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:01 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:

Holly Willoughby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WELL I AM NOW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:20 
Unpossible!

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:21 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

DavPaz meet Grim…

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:21 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:

Remaking the movie?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Walking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:57 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:

Eating a pizza naked or having a shit on a train.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 14:18 

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:

Also has the greatest Arnie line ever.

"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your goddamn spine!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 14:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Walking.

Yuuup.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364 ... 422  Next