Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 14:45 
Master of dodgy spelling....

An interesting article on support and the expiry of support.

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insights/arti ... C500AD42A2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 
Noob as of 6/8/10

KovacsC wrote:

Interesting. I've just received my new laptop from my new employer. I was dreading having to use Win 10, but it's got Win 7 Enterprise on it. Clearly they haven't considered, or aren't aware of the impending end of the updates.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 13:13 
Excellent Member

Warhead wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Interesting. I've just received my new laptop from my new employer. I was dreading having to use Win 10, but it's got Win 7 Enterprise on it. Clearly they haven't considered, or aren't aware of the impending end of the updates.

You can very easily make Win10 work exactly the same as Win7; there's nothing to fear from it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 13:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also if they have a premier support account with MS, there is no pending end of updates for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 13:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

But it's going to get expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 14:37 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Bamba wrote:
Warhead wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

You can very easily make Win10 work exactly the same as Win7; there's nothing to fear from it.

Not sure that the severe lock down that my new employer has on its kit would allow that IF we had Win 10, but we dont, so its all academic.

And I don't fear it, I just think it a pile of foetid dingos' kidneys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 15:36 
Excellent Member

Warhead wrote:
Not sure that the severe lock down that my new employer has on its kit would allow that IF we had Win 10, but we dont, so its all academic.

The only thing you need to do is remove all the junk they nail onto the side of the Start Menu by default; you'd hope that any lockdown would still allow that amount of trivial customisation.

Warhead wrote:
And I don't fear it, I just think it a pile of foetid dingos' kidneys.

Fair enough. I've had no issues with it myself and I came straight from Win7.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 15:51 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I have to admit I've hardly had any experience of it, apart from my sis-in-law's laptop that she bought a couple of years ago.

There were two things that pissed me off; the way that Edge just hung when I tried to do anything with it, but worse was the lack of a facility to import contacts from her old machine in to the native mail client. That's completely pathetic. Oh, and the general design which I still think looks cheap and nasty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:24 
Excellent Member

Warhead wrote:
the way that Edge just hung when I tried to do anything with it

I mean, there's an easy and obvious solution to that...

Although, I don't think it's entirely fair to hold that against the OS when it's an app level thing.

Warhead wrote:
but worse was the lack of a facility to import contacts from her old machine in to the native mail client. That's completely pathetic.

Again that's arguably an issue with that single app rather than an OS level; though it obviously doesn't help to give a brilliant first impression.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:32 
Unpossible!

Windows (and Android) have very often been fucked in the First Impressions department by OEM bloatware.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:33 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Windows (and Android) have very often been fucked in the First Impressions department by OEM bloatware.

Indeed, though Warhead's issues are with natives apps so it seems Microsoft are looking to get in on that action themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:35 
Unpossible!

Yeah, Windows 10 does through a huge heap of crap at you on first run. Easily removed, though

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:39 

I've tried everything I can, but no matter how much fiddling with its innards I try, '3D Objects' still appears as one of my favourite places. Grrr...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 21:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Kern wrote:
I've tried everything I can, but no matter how much fiddling with its innards I try, '3D Objects' still appears as one of my favourite places. Grrr...

Titling the fuck out of that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 16:17 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Bamba wrote:
Warhead wrote:
the way that Edge just hung when I tried to do anything with it

I mean, there's an easy and obvious solution to that...

Although, I don't think it's entirely fair to hold that against the OS when it's an app level thing.

Warhead wrote:
but worse was the lack of a facility to import contacts from her old machine in to the native mail client. That's completely pathetic.

Again that's arguably an issue with that single app rather than an OS level; though it obviously doesn't help to give a brilliant first impression.

I take your point on both issues.

From my POV I was just trying to get my sis-in-law's new laptop ready to use. She's in her 70s an not very tech savvy, so anything that fails to work as advertised gets dumped on me.

MS were bleating on about how Edge was their browser beater and all it did was hang her machine whenever I used it, so I just advised her to avoid it. Updates probably fixed it later, but I wouldn't have seen them as it wasn't my laptop. Whether these problems were app or Windows based was an irrelevance to us on the day of purchase. The apps were bundled with Win 10 and didn't meet our expectations.

It didn't help that her old PC was completely dead so I had to take the HDD out and stick it in a caddy to be able to extract her contacts details and manually reinput them into the native mail client. There wasn't any facility to import contacts in any format. I call that fundamentally crap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 23:26 
Hello Hello Hello

So the 1809 'October' (LOL) update hit the Minecraft server late last night aaaaaaand.......

It's broken the backup. The Microsoft Windows backup, not a third party backup, their own fucking backup tool.

I know this because the nightly backup just tried to run at 10pm this evening and failed horribly, complaining of a 'write protected disk'.

Cheers Microsoft, you useless cunts.

Known issue, here's the thread, they've fucked their own backup tool.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 283?auth=1

(This will also break the backup on Mrs Hearthly's and Hearthly Jnr's PCs when they get infected by Microsoft's own fucking malware.)

EDIT - And as was noted here, backups can be important..... It's a good thing I keep an eye on this shit, imagine if the backup started failing and I didn't notice for a week......

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 5#p1007235

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 15:18 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Ok

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 
Hello Hello Hello

How about you fix all the fucking bugs first, eh? Before replacing things THAT ALREADY WORK PERFECTLY WELL.

Fuckrags.

Attachment:
pissoffyoubastardarseholes.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Christ, I use snipping tool constantly, it's one of the best things in Windows.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:12 
Comfortably Dumb

Cras wrote:

:this:

I particularly like the fact that once you've snipped the image you want, it's automatically copied to the clipboard ready to paste into an email/skype etc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Over £100 for a Windows 10 licence and Microsoft basically just come in at will, vandalize my computers, break things, and remove things.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:30 

Cras wrote:

The new tool is neat though: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... 018-update The addition of markup/annotation alone makes this a justifiable change.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:30 

Hearthly wrote:
Over £100 for a Windows 10 licence and Microsoft basically just come in at will, vandalize my computers, break things, and remove things.

Oh come on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:51 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:

Old_Man_Shouts_At_Cloud.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 13:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

The new tool is neat though: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... 018-update The addition of markup/annotation alone makes this a justifiable change.

Snipping tool has markup and annotation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 13:29 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Old_Man_Shouts_At_Cloud.jpg

Try looking after all the shit that I do, the PCs, iPads, phones, laptops and other devices plus the smooth running of every single piece of hardware attached to them, and software installed on them, and all interactions between them, including backups, restore, cloud etc, 24/7/365, and see how much patience you have for the purveyor of one of your operating systems swooping in and, for example, completely breaking THEIR OWN BACKUP SOLUTION on your Minecraft Server. (Jnr trashed the house before I got home to recover the server from a backup, now magnify that by 'the server could not be recovered and Jnr's world was lost'.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 13:35 
UltraMod

Epic tantz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 13:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh gee, you're right, none of us look after computers.

Unpossible!

You're so unique and special. How dare the world change without your permission!

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Although you'd better believe we have off-site backups because we're not insane.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 13:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Oh gee, you're right, none of us look after computers.

Yeah because I didn't know that and the news comes as a complete surprise to me.

I don't think it's OK for Microsoft to break their own backup solution without so much as an acknowledgement or warning, for me to only realise they'd broken it because I check on this shit daily (because I essentially have zero trust or faith in Microsoft at this point), and to then have to implement an alternative because they broke their own shit.

The 1809 update has been a rolling clusterfuck from the start, and even now it still doesn't work properly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 14:08 
Esoteric

About the only thing I don't like is how you can't stop the updates. Or can you? IDK.

I had an older rig running on a 60gb SSD. It worked perfectly for gaming at my mother's. Any way, it updated itself to the point where it ran out of drive and then started compressing files (without asking) and then slapped an arrow on all of my icons and folders etc to show they were compressed. Performance then tanked. I know 60gb SSD is rather small but the prices they were when I built the rig? I simply couldn't afford anything bigger.

Doesn't matter too much now as the GPU certainly in that rig was hanging on for dear life (Fury X, really old) so I just replaced it with something a bit newer with a better GPU and £21 120gb SSD.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 15:00 

Hearthly wrote:

I don't think it's OK for Microsoft to break their own backup solution without so much as an acknowledgement or warning, for me to only realise they'd broken it because I check on this shit daily (because I essentially have zero trust or faith in Microsoft at this point), and to then have to implement an alternative because they broke their own shit.

Of course it isn’t. But it’s a bug that slipped through testing and will probably be fixed shortly. You’re talking like it was deliberate. I’m not saying it’s good that this happened, but let’s keep a sense of proportion.

There’s an alternate universe Hearthly ranting this very second about how his computer was lost to ransomware because Microsoft don’t update often enough and didn’t close a critical security hole.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 15:07 

Hearthly wrote:
(Jnr trashed the house before I got home to recover the server from a backup, now magnify that by 'the server could not be recovered and Jnr's world was lost'.)

Is Microsoft’s consumer-grade on-premises backup the only defence you have against data loss?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 15:15 

Where by “consumer grade” it turns out I mean actually deprecated.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 16:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
(Jnr trashed the house before I got home to recover the server from a backup, now magnify that by 'the server could not be recovered and Jnr's world was lost'.)

Is Microsoft’s consumer-grade on-premises backup the only defence you have against data loss?

Nope, the Minecraft Server is backed up weekly to OneDrive and I also maintain an encrypted offsite backup of all files (including the Minecraft server), this is refreshed every 2 months. (These are protection against 'the house burned down' scenario.)

Internally I maintain various backups onto internal hard drives, external hard drives and a NAS. These are done via scripted robocopy jobs, Goodsync and up until a couple of nights ago, Windows Backup. (The total backup real estate now runs into terabytes, hence flinging the whole lot up into the cloud isn't viable yet, but I'm hoping we'll be there in a year or two. Manx Telecom are laying fibre around the island at the moment but it's not to our house yet, and cloud storage needs to come down in price a bit. For now we're on VDSL with only 10meg up.)

We also all have our own 1TB OneDrive space which does Documents, Desktop and Pictures for each of us.

So for the Minecraft server, for example, I have three local copies, one cloud copy, and one encrypted offsite copy. The point of having the local backups available is for a quick restore of the server when required, which has been needed several times over the last 2-3 years, the most recent being when the server corrupted a couple of weeks ago.

Another one that springs to mind is when Mrs Hearthly asked for command blocks to be enabled on the server. 'Are you sure you know what you're doing? You can really break things badly with command blocks you know', and Mrs Hearthly is like, 'Yes of course I am I've looked it up', one failed experiment with portals later and she literally managed to annihilate the entire world apart from the little cave that her and Jnr were standing in. 'Would you like a restore from backup then?', I enquired.....

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Where by “consumer grade” it turns out I mean actually deprecated.

Yes I was very much aware of this, which leads me to fear they might not fix it, even though they've broken it accidentally.

I might just buy some extra Goodsync licences and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
There’s an alternate universe Hearthly ranting this very second about how his computer was lost to ransomware because Microsoft don’t update often enough and didn’t close a critical security hole.

But this was a feature update, not a security update. Yes I know the lines are probably blurred in all sorts of ways but they can keep Windows 7 current and secure with security updates without adding or changing its functionality at all, however with Windows 10 you get the new features whether you want them or not.

I'd like the option for the user to put the OS into one of two modes:

1) Security updates only (a mandatory minimum)
2) Feature and security updates (user choice)

I suspect this is probably achievable, as MS deliver the security CUs and updates separately to the feature updates - they just don't want to. (There's also the fact that the major feature updates essentially just reinstall the OS, which leads me to think they could support the other branches with security updates only, especially as many enterprises do exactly this.)

All the PCs in the house would be on Windows 7 were it not for the fact it's on borrowed time. (We do still have two Windows 7 machines in the house, which are a lot less of a faff than the Windows 10 machines.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:06 
Unpossible!

Not a bad idea, keeping the updates voluntary, but it would massively fracture the install base, similarly to the problem that Android faces

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:07 
Sitting balls-back folder

They already do that. Enterprise, for example, has long-term support branches. They deliver security and other critical fixes to the last 2 or 3 feature releases (so yeah, "long term in quotes"). Dunno what other SKUs have similar. Embedded, probably.

But home and Pro users are the beta testers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 19:37 

BikNorton wrote:
They already do that. Enterprise, for example, has long-term support branches. They deliver security and other critical fixes to the last 2 or 3 feature releases (so yeah, "long term in quotes"). Dunno what other SKUs have similar. Embedded, probably.

But home and Pro users are the beta testers.

Pro allows for feature updates to be deferred for up to a year, which I make full use of. (Along with the Group Policy Editor, which I've used to stop auto-updates).
Haven't had Windows 10 installed on single PC for as long as a year yet to test if the group policy changes stop them, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 17:47 

My surface pro 4 was finally offered 1809 - a march build!

The WiFi was fucked after, connected but no internet. Eventually I figured out it was something to do with the hyper-v bridge it was in, removed it and it worked.

Could be something to do with visual studio 2017 or 2019 I guess?

Well done Microsoft, after 6 months you still fucked up a completely MS situation!

Trying to recreate the bridge gave an error so now I've no idea what to do when I want a VM to do internets.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 14:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Windows 10 is such a dick. I take my laptop home with me every couple of weeks so it can do whatever update shenanigans it wants to, as when it's at work it's on a wifi hotspot served up by my phone on a 15GB monthly data limit. I have set my wifi hotspot network to be a metered network, and this works well in that (for example) OneDrive doesn't sync when it's connected to the hotspot, and it doesn't download Windows Updates, and then when it's back at home on the network there, it all syncs up as usual, does its Windows Updates etc.

I most recently took the laptop home with me the weekend just gone, and allowed it to sit there and do whatever stuff it wanted to, to the point where it was cheerfully informing me that 'your device is up to date'.

THREE DAYS LATER I have the laptop sat on my desk next to me, connected to the wifi hotspot, and my phone flashes up a warning to say that the hotspot has breached its daily data warning limit. A quick data usage check shows that the fucking thing has just chewed through 3.5GB of mobile data in less than 60 minutes.

I am bemused, wondering what on earth has just eaten so much data, but all is revealed when a Windows box pops up to let me know it wishes to do a reboot and will do so in 30 minutes unless I tell it not to.

Several reboots later (it's become clear it's a major feature update at this point), and I am presented with a welcome screen greeting me to....... THE APRIL 2018 UPDATE.

Two questions.

1) Why did it just decide to ignore the fact it's on a metered network and hoover up 3.5GB of mobile data, completely unannounced and with no intervention on my part?
2) Why the shitting bastard fuck didn't it download the APRIL FUCKING 2018 UPDATE three days ago, when it was sat at home on a normal network for hours and hours, merrily insisting it was up to date? I even did a couple of extra reboots throughout both Saturday and Sunday, because I know how much of a cunt Windows is, and it still fucked me.

Fucking computers.

Attachment:
rubbishshitbastardwindowso.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 15:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I know the answer to 2) but im eating a burrito so I only have one hand to type with.

Someone else tell him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 15:28 

Microsoft still haven't invented a time machine?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 15:33 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
I know the answer to 2) but im eating a burrito so I only have one hand to type with.

Someone else tell him.

If it because Microsoft hates him?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 15:41 
Hibernating Druid

Something, something, data centres and/or teraflops.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 16:03 
UltraMod

BikNorton wrote:

To go forward to April 2018?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 16:05 
Hibernating Druid

Lonewolves wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Yeah, still a good few years off in the Isle of Man.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 22:33 

Lonewolves wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Ha! Jesus!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:

Someone else tell him.

Have you finished the burrito yet?

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next