Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: DOOM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:03 
Hibernating Druid

"increasingly dire scenarios fueled by rage and the spirit of heavy metal."

Same

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Nice video about this absolutely STUNNING MASTERPIECE of a game.

It makes me want to play it again, even though I've completed it three times already.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:21 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm going to reinstall this (77GB.....) and see if my PC can run it at 4K, and if it can I'm going to play through it again (which will be my fourth playthrough).

It's had that fucking Denuvo shit taken out of it which might have hurt performance and induced the occasional crash first time around.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:59 
UltraMod

I still need to restart the level with the boss which has autosaved halfway through the fight and as I’ve used all my BFG ammo it’s almost impossible to beat. But I just can’t be bothered.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 13:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Ooohhh baby, everything totally maxed out at 3840x2160, with v-sync enabled.

I think I could go for another playthrough of this, just the music on the title screen got me back in the mood.

My poor graphics card doesn't know what's hit it, normally it just does Hearthstone and fruit machine emulators.

Attachment:
4kers2.JPG

Attachment:
4kers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 14:27 
Unpossible!

Is it locked at 60?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 14:37 
Hello Hello Hello

It seems to be but I haven't really done much, I'll have a proper crack at it once WIFE AND CHILD have been ferried to the in-laws a bit later on today.

I do remember though that even in that first room you can get the camera angle so it's doing a lot of effecty type stuff with the light and smoke and shadows and whatnot, and it held at 60 for that, although the frame timing graphs would appear to suggest that some are outside the 16.67ms budget. I've switched to adaptive v-sync so it's possible it's tearing a bit of the frame where it can't manage the refresh in time.

It was always a supremely well optimised engine though, so I am hopeful the GTX1080 will be up to it overall. (And the 1080 isn't considered a 4K card, so we will be at the edges of what it's capable of.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 15:50 
Esoteric

In Vulkan it should be OK. It's not the most strenuous game I have played, but my Titan XP managed it fine at 4k :)

I must get back into this game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 16:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Well I've played through the whole first proper level now and it's basically a solid 60FPS throughout. This game is a work of sheer majesty, and will get a fourth 100% completion playthrough out of me, I know RDR2 would just fucking annoy me with its horse riding and gun cleaning and horrible controls and general jankiness. I like the way Doomguy solves everything by punching it or shooting it, and then ripping its face off.

I mean, even the credits are a fucking work of art.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 
Hello Hello Hello

I started again on NIGHTMARE.

Initially I was intending to do a sort of 'tourist run' but found myself wanting a proper challenge, so I went back to the start and began again. I'd forgotten how fucking brutal it was on this skill level but I was able to progress, albeit with a few deaths as I got my eye back in.

Also I watched the first part of the documentary zaphod posted a link to a couple of pages back, it's really good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
I've only watched part of this so far but its great - Danny O'Dwyer (https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer) is doing a documentary on Doom (2016) as part of his noclip series - three parts in total only the first 2 are up

I have now watched all of these, they're fantastic, and it's fascinating to see how much stuff they iterated to make the game as perfect as it is.

Also, do you want to see the DOOM music being performed live by the guy who wrote it? Of course you do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:47 
Hello Hello Hello

A full hour with Mick Gordon, doing a presentation and then Q&A about the DOOM soundtrack. I watched all of it 'cause I am so throbbing and hard for the DOOM music.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes more DOOM gushing but words can scarcely describe how much I love this game, I'm savouring my fourth playthrough like a fine wine or a meal that's so delicious you don't want to finish it.

I am now firmly of the opinion that NIGHTMARE skill level is the best way to play this game, the satisfaction that the game confers for succeeding is immense. (And is juxtaposed so starkly with that clip Satsuma posted of the fucking laughably awful combat in RDR2, that apparently is acceptable in a Triple AAA major publisher's release in 2018.)

I spent about an hour last night on one single encounter in the Argent Facility, I got to a point where I could complete it fairly well but I was determined to nail it perfectly, or close to it. Then by accident I killed the last baddy and the game checkpointed on what was a very poor attempt, so I started the level again to have another go at it. (That's the thing, this game is so joyous to just PLAY that starting the level again didn't faze me at all.)

And this time I aced it, like properly aced it, I didn't take a single point of damage from anything, and TBH I felt rather Godlike at the end of it because I knew I'd just pulled some pretty swishy moves, if I do say so myself.

And the thing is, that's not an accident, one of the game's main designers explicitly says that the game is supposed to make you feel powerful when you succeed, because you're supposed to be the ultimate badass, the demons are actually scared of you, because you're Doom Guy, you're the Demon Slayer.

This is an extended version of the interview with Hugo Martin (the game's Creative Director), there's quite a bit of it in the documentary that zaphod linked to earlier in the thread, but this is the full 71 minute interview with him, and it's fascinating. Absolutely nothing in this game happened by accident, the entire thing from start to finish is perfectly and meticulously curated, with one overriding principle, it needs to be fun. If something's not fun, it doesn't go in the game.

Hugo says they had loads of cool stuff and loads of cool ideas, but if they weren't fun, if they didn't make the game better, they didn't go in. His passion for the project, and DOOM, is wonderful to see, as he says himself, this is a game they want you to be playing with a big smile on your face at all times.

Yes it's a long interview but it's a great watch, the guy himself is really nice, and his love for DOOM is infectious. TBH I already loved the game to pieces, but seeing the place that it came from elevates my admiration for it even more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ugh, compared to Street Fighter 5 the hand to hand combat in Doom is fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 2016.

id should be ashamed of themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:31 
Hello Hello Hello

There's no excuse for the combat mechanics of RDR2 in this day and age, I was immediately transported back to playing GTA4 in 2008 on my XBox 360.

(And the melee in DOOM feels pretty good, in fairness.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:32 

Grim... wrote:
Ugh, compared to Street Fighter 5 the hand to hand combat in Doom is fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 2016.

Ugh, compared to Prey the level design in Street Fighter 5 is fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 2016.

Capcom should be ashamed of themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:51 
Hello Hello Hello

I didn't like Prey very much. DOOM is great though. I haven't played Street Fighter 5 so can't comment, except when I want to because I watched a video about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:56 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:
I didn't like Prey very much. DOOM is great though. I haven't played Street Fighter 5 so can't comment, except when I want to because I watched a video about it.

:DD Love you. Never change.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Ugh, compared to Prey the level design in Street Fighter 5 is fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 2016.

Ugh, compared to Colony Wars the space combat in Prey is fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 2017.

Arkane should be ashamed of themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:54 

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Ugh, compared to Colony Wars the space combat in Prey is fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 2017.

Ugh, compared to Gran Turismo the vehicle modding and tuning in Colony Wars is fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 1997.

Psygnosis should be ashamed of themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:58 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Ugh, compared to Gran Turismo the vehicle modding and tuning in Colony Wars is fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 1997.

Psygnosis should be ashamed of themselves.

Ugh, compared to The Secret of Monkey Island, the narrative structure, humour and puzzles in Gran Turismo are fucking shit. It's amazing what AAA games thought they could get away with in 1997.

Sony should be ashamed of themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 13:01 
Hello Hello Hello

And all this from me posting entirely on-topic about the new DOOM game in its own thread, eh? Maybe we could take about the game a bit, perhaps? But no, let's single out the one sentence we can pick apart and all act like bullying cunts instead, eh?

Lovely job chaps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 13:11 
Paws for thought

Hearthly wrote:
And all this from me posting entirely on-topic about the new DOOM game in its own thread, eh? Maybe we could take about the game a bit, perhaps? But no, let's single out the one sentence we can pick apart and all act like bullying cunts instead, eh?

Lovely job chaps.

Or you could, you know, not shit on a game you've not played in an entirely different genre and entirely different goals in the doom thread... up to you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 14:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Dave wrote:
Or you could, you know, not shit on a game you've not played in an entirely different genre and entirely different goals in the doom thread... up to you.

It's possible to have an informed opinion about a game without having played it, and I'm hardly 'shitting' on it, it's one bracketed sentence in a post that is otherwise 100% focused on DOOM, but it's still a relevant comment as it highlights a difference in philosophy between the two creation processes, whereby id ruthlessly jettisoned a lot of stuff from DOOM and honed and refined and iterated time and time again to make sure that the game remained fun 100% of the time. Hugo Martin explicitly says in that interview, words to the effect of 'If it wasn't fun it didn't go in, if it was in and we decided it wasn't working out and it wasn't fun, we took it out.'

I've played enough Rockstar games to know how they work, RDR2 clearly hasn't evolved their core philosophy in any significant regard, and stuff that was tolerable ten years ago in GTA4 won't pass muster in the here and now IMO. Satsuma's posts in the RDR2 thread alone - (and I respect the chap's opinions and the fact he takes the time to put forward coherent arguments) - amply demonstrate that there's a lot of stuff in there that was deemed merely 'good enough' (if that), so it went in the game as it was.

Even stuff like bugs, I have encountered ZERO, and I mean ZERO bugs in DOOM and I'm now on a fourth playthrough with 86 hours of playtime on record. Satsuma detailed a few clangers in a single playthrough of RDR2, and that's before you even add in the 'not quite bugs' stuff like getting a Wanted status by accident and suchlike.

Yes, I 100% get they're different games in different genres with different goals, and I was cognisant of that fact when I added the sentence into my post, but bad design is still bad design, whatever genre it's in. I've read and viewed sufficient material, and discussed one-to-one enough about RDR2, along with having extensive experience of previous Rockstar games of this type (GTA4, GTA5, RDR1), to form what I genuinely think is a pretty solid idea of what makes it tick. I put up with it in GTA4 and GTA5 (but not in RDR1 which I gave up on, but I played that last), but I'm not going to put up with it again.

All that said my previous annoyed comment was over the top and I apologise for that, we're all still a bit tender from Friday's explosion, Jnr still isn't herself and it knocked Mrs Hearthly as well, and I haven't slept at all well the last couple of nights, but I shouldn't let that spill over into the forum - so I retract my previous comment and apologise for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 15:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Quote:
Won't pass muster in the here and now

Bad design is still bad design

'K

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 15:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doom is an incredible game, don't get me wrong, but it's still a totally bizarre comparison to draw, especially with a game you've never played.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 15:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That mixed review is from Slant, who always give Rockstar games a hard time. Apparently their traffic goes through the roof because people want to read the one bad review.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 15:43 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
That mixed review is from Slant, who always give Rockstar games a hard time. Apparently their traffic goes through the roof because people want to read the one bad review.

Hmm, just had a read of the review and for all the complaints they could have levied at the game mechanics it descends into complaining about the politics of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 16:06 

Hearthly wrote:
...a post that is otherwise 100% focused on DOOM, but it's still a relevant comment as it highlights a difference in philosophy between the two creation processes, whereby id ruthlessly jettisoned a lot of stuff from DOOM and honed and refined and iterated time and time again to make sure that the game remained fun 100% of the time. Hugo Martin explicitly says in that interview, words to the effect of 'If it wasn't fun it didn't go in, if it was in and we decided it wasn't working out and it wasn't fun, we took it out.'
Whereas Rockstar, with their famously tight budgets and strict production schedules, are of course constantly having conversations where they go “well, we know this isn’t fun, but we’re just gonna have to ship it. Sorry guys. Try harder next time.”

Quote:
I've played enough Rockstar games to know how they work, RDR2 clearly hasn't evolved their core philosophy in any significant regard, and stuff that was tolerable ten years ago in GTA4 won't pass muster in the here and now IMO.

(a) people love these games (b) if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 16:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Whereas Rockstar, with their famously tight budgets and strict production schedules, are of course constantly having conversations where they go “well, we know this isn’t fun, but we’re just gonna have to ship it. Sorry guys. Try harder next time.”

Well they certainly push releases back I'll give you that, but given the incredible culture of crunch, pressure and burnout that we know RDR2 was made under, I'd suspect there's an element of it being delayed until it was good enough to ship, rather than as good as it could be.

Quote:
(a) people love these games (b) if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

But that's all I've been saying all along, (or at least, I think it is), I simply don't have the time, patience or inclination to wade through Rockstar's 'not broken' game model any longer. I get that the game reviewed incredibly well, I get that millions of people love it (despite the flaws it seems everyone agrees it has), but for the flaws are now, for me personally, too big of a problem to look past. They get in the way of the actual game too much, and I won't put up with, as a single example, the dire gunplay that Rockstar still seem to think is OK.

(Or for example, the astonishing amount of just riding around on a horse that everyone agrees RDR2 has in it. Not interested, that's not 'game' as far as I'm concerned. To give you an idea, having to drive to events in Forza Horizon 4 (on a relatively small map in incredibly fast cars) was absolutely at the limit of my tolerance for what I'd describe as 'travelling to the game' as opposed to 'actually playing the game'. I'm just like, 'Why can't I click on the event and start it? Why are you making me drive to the event? This is not fun and I don't want to do it, it's not game, this is bad design'.)

I started a second playthrough of GTA5 when I got my new PC last year, excitedly looking forward to maxing it all out and playing it through a second time, I got a reasonable way in and then just stopped, because I wasn't having fun, because of all the standard Rockstar problems.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 17:08 
Bad Girl

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
...a post that is otherwise 100% focused on DOOM, but it's still a relevant comment as it highlights a difference in philosophy between the two creation processes, whereby id ruthlessly jettisoned a lot of stuff from DOOM and honed and refined and iterated time and time again to make sure that the game remained fun 100% of the time. Hugo Martin explicitly says in that interview, words to the effect of 'If it wasn't fun it didn't go in, if it was in and we decided it wasn't working out and it wasn't fun, we took it out.'

Let’s be fair, in RDR2 Rockstar have sacrificed fun in favour of authencity plenty of times. It isn’t an arcade shooter though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 17:19 

There's different kinds of fun. I was never not having fun the whole time I played RDR2. The fighting didn't bother me at all. It was absolutely fine as punctuation in between the other probably 95% of the game that wasn't about shooting. I can easily imagine how someone with no interest in the setting and the patience of a toddler could come to a different conclusion. But then why are they playing the fucking thing to begin with? It would be like me getting pissed off about a football game when I can't stand any of them and actually hate football.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 17:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

But hearthy didn't play it, and said why he didn't play it.
So that's good right?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 18:45 
Rude Belittler

I've played RDR2 and the shooting is pretty shit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:24 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
In Vulkan it should be OK. It's not the most strenuous game I have played, but my Titan XP managed it fine at 4k :)

Crikey you're not wrong there JC. Either Vulkan has got better, or the drivers, or my hardware works better with it than my last PC, or it works better at 4K etc - but whereas it didn't seem any better on my old PC than OpenGL, it rocks the park now.

I found a bit in Argent Facility where with nothing else going on, after I'd cleared the demons out, I could get it dropping down to the low 50s just looking up at these growth pod thingies, I guess there's a lot of that effects type stuff going on. (The glass is translucent, there are multiple pods with the glass, and since everything is totally ULTRA-ed out it's probably trying to do light refractions and shadows and all that shit on an insane amount of stuff.)

Switched to Vulkan, went to the same bit, rock solid 60FPS.

Both these screenshots are from Vulkan, in exactly the same spot with OpenGL, it was down in the low 50s with adaptive v-sync doing its thing and the graphs spiking quite nastily.

Attachment:
domers1.JPG

Attachment:
domers2.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 
Hello Hello Hello

So with over 90 hours on the clock, DOOM still managed to deliver something new last night.

I collected my mum from airport as she's over visiting, her flight was delayed a bit (supposed to land at 20:30, didn't land until 21:00), by the time she'd got through arrivals and we got home and did all the Hellos, saw Mrs Hearthly and Jnr off to bed, and then my mum went to bed as she was knackered from all the travelling - it was after 10:30pm and I was toying with the idea of going to bed myself.

However, I'm now on-call for two weeks (no beer as car may be required 24 hours a day), so last night was the final opportunity to have a beer for two weeks, and I'm off work today and tomorrow, so it was like a Saturday night in a way.

With everyone else in the house in bed, I was like, 'Actually, fuck this, BOOZE AND DOOM'.

So I got myself a large glass of wine (you know the type of large I mean), set about that and fired up DOOM. But it's late, everyone's in bed, and we have neighbours on one side.

This means HEADPHONES.

I have never played DOOM with headphones before.

I should also note for the record that these are some rather nice Sennheiser HD595s, I bought them a decade or more ago for a fair whack of cash, but they still deliver the goods. (As ever with this stuff - Buy Once, Buy Good!)

So I put them on, turned the volume right up (because it's DOOM), and went into the game. As it happened I was in a quiet bit as the last time I played it'd checkpointed after a gore nest with all the surrounding area cleared out, so there were no demons or hardcore music going on. I also had a couple of collectibles to find before starting an actual fight, so in DOOM terms, pretty laid back.

Once I was content I was ready to proceed to the next actual scrap, I approached a door that I knew had a load of demons behind it (not a gore nest, the bit in those screenshots above, in fact).

As I opened the door, the music kicked in and the various demon sounds drilled into my brain and I basically just shit myself and fucking retreated, it was that visceral, I wasn't prepared for how intense it would be. I think I may have actually cried out in shock for real, but the cacaphony of the music and the swarm of demons meant I couldn't hear myself scream.

Needless to say, retreating didn't work anyway as the demons poured out and absolutely murdered the fuck out of me. To say I was not prepared would be understatement of the century.

On a second attempt I did what you're supposed to (which is charge in and start killing the shit out of the everything), and it was very messy and I died, but I was transitioning into DOOM MODE and thinking to myself, 'Oh my god, this is fucking awesome'.

Third attempt I did it, and my dander was well and truly up.

And there I was still killing demons nearly three hours later at 1am in the morning. The sound aesthetic of the game, which I already think is peerless, takes on a whole new level with headphones, before engaging with one gore nest fight the music had gone into one of its 'pre-fight' riffs, I just sat there for a couple of minutes and listened to it. Before saying to myself, 'Come on then Al, let's kill these motherfuckers'.

GORE NEST ACTIVATED EAT MY SUPER SHOTGUN BITCHES.

Over the course of nearly three hours of play, a thought I've been having a few times on this fourth playthrough crystallized into a certainty in my mind.

I think DOOM is the best videogame ever. Not one of the best.

The best videogame I have ever played. I'm putting it at my Number #1 spot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
So with over 90 hours on the clock, DOOM still managed to deliver something new last night.

I collected my mum from airport as she's over visiting

Holy shit, I never saw that bit either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 
Hello Hello Hello

I like to give things some story, context, and flavour.

It's why my videos about a 25 year old fruit machine can go on for a fucking hour.

Does it matter why I was playing with headphones for the first time? Probably not, but I just thought it'd be a weird thing to do after 90 hours of play, to suddenly think, 'Oh I know, I'll play this game with headphones for NO REASON WHATSOEVER'.

Also, everyone play with DOOM with headphones, as loud as you can go. It's borderline a bit overwhelming, but in a good way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 14:58 
Esoteric

I found that going from 1440p with this to 4k didn't make as much of a impact hardware wise as some games do. I think some of that has to do with the way some of the landscapes are quite barren and sparse. That said it is Mars, so you're highly unlikely to be running past a Sainsburys whilst dodging cars.

Bethesda seem to be having quite severe issues with large levels, especially in Wolfenstein 2. It's like 10 minutes loading and cut scenes for five minutes of action. With Doom though they seem to have balanced it out, making the levels feel far more spacious. That may be why they've stuck with the same engine for FO76 as at least they know how to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 18:52 
Rude Belittler

25th anniversary of OG Doom's release, btw.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 19:01 
Rude Belittler

JohnCoffey wrote:
Bethesda seem to be having quite severe issues with large levels, especially in Wolfenstein 2. It's like 10 minutes loading and cut scenes for five minutes of action. With Doom though they seem to have balanced it out, making the levels feel far more spacious. That may be why they've stuck with the same engine for FO76 as at least they know how to use it.

Bethesda (well Zenimax Media) is just the publisher, id developed Doom, and Machine Games developed nu-Wolfenstein, both Wolf2 and Doom used idTech 6.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 19:55 
Esoteric

SIGIL next apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:03 
Can you dig it?

I downloaded Doom for the PS4 for about 10 bucks and.... it's pretty intense, fun.

But! I'm shit at FPS, especially fast paced ones like this and seemed to spend a lot of time spinning wildly and missing shots or aiming frantically at the sky/ground :D

Bloody good fun though, and that was on the remote play iPad app. Looking forward to trying it on the big telly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:17 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Sir Taxalot wrote:
and that was on the remote play iPad app. Looking forward to trying it on the big telly

I would say you'll do much better without the extra lag the remote play app adds

Its a great game its very very fast paced and you need to be able to move / jump / rip / tear / decapitate quickly - its probably one of the least suited to remote play games there is :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:11 
Can you dig it?

Fffffuck this game is fun and makes me feel like a badass. Some of the glory kills have me laughing out loud at the brutality.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 22:53 
Can you dig it?

I'm not sure if there's a glitch but whenever the 'incoming audio transmission' message pops up I don't hear anything - and when I 'watched' the cutscene of the lady stuffing around with holographic controls it looked like her mouth was moving but I couldn't hear anything. Not sure if it's really important as the plot is pretty simple and really all I want to do is SHOOT and STOMP baddies into PULP and carry on being AWESOME.

zaphod79 wrote:
I would say you'll do much better without the extra lag the remote play app adds

Its a great game its very very fast paced and you need to be able to move / jump / rip / tear / decapitate quickly - its probably one of the least suited to remote play games there is :-)

Yes, remote play (while seeming incredibly modern and fancy and wow to me) was only really tried then because father-in-law was there watching the news on the telly and I thought I'd have a crack.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 0:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If you're playing on the PS4 it might be trying to talk to you via the controller and the speaker might be broken.

But I'd check your audio settings first.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:42 
Esoteric

Really been hitting this hard over the past three days. I finally found where I had to go, now I'm getting better at using the navigation thinger.

It's absolutely mental at 240 FPS. Just so fast and fluid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 23:19 
Can you dig it?

Grim... wrote:
If you're playing on the PS4 it might be trying to talk to you via the controller and the speaker might be broken.

But I'd check your audio settings first.

Cheers, I had a check and the settings all look OK and the speaker in the joypad works. I turned on subtitles and can see (but still not hear!) Vega and Samuel Hardon or whatever his stupid name is talking about some junk during the cutscenes now.

The game is still awesome overall but the jumpy bits for climbing the tower is a bit boring (I've got better at the shooty bang bang, but am not great at the platformy bits).

Restarting after a death takes a frustratingly long time too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:21 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Samuel Hardon or whatever his stupid name is

Hayden.

S. Hayden.

Doom's idea of subtle narrative and character development, there.

Reply to topic  [ 674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next