Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 15:31 
INFINITE POWAH

KovacsC wrote:
Love the cinematic rides

Arthouse TOYST

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 15:32 
INFINITE POWAH

Also - I have this for my birthday, so don't get to play it until Tuesday (when I'll be turning 40, MrC chronology fact fans)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 14:37 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Got to the end of the main story of this last night. By fuck it’s good. I got the bad honor ending which I reckon 95% of people will get.

I’ve not been a huge banger in recent years but the closest thing I can approximate it to, for beauty, pace, storytelling and emotion is The Last of Us, but in an open world as opposed to the near pure linear story there.

The vast amount of collectibles and upgrades in SP (and many of the stats to consider - eating and rest being two) are wholly unnecessary to enjoy the story and progress but are really going to give a reason to dip in while waiting for MP shenanigan sessions to start.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 14:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I’ve not been a huge banger in recent years

Lololololol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 15:04 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Well I should probably have checked autocorrect there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 20:30 
Bad Girl

Super-love Charles voice actor, and Arthur. Some great performances and quality audio for both.

I’m less impressed with some of the obligatory daft Rockstar side missions, like the “wacky” professor who creates the electric chair.

I’m also much less impressed with how utterly fucking boring shoot-outs are especially since one particularly short chapter is just a long running battle. Is there even a difficulty setting? I just get behind cover, pop up and flick the stick to an enemies head and kill them in one shot. Rinse and repeat. People complain about Gears of War combat being tiresome but without the beauty and the spectacle of the world no one would play this because it’s core mechanics are “fun”.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 21:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Good god man how are you so relentlessly wrong? It's truly impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 21:13 
Gogmagog

Except the draw system where you hold r2 then die. I have no. Idea how that works. Or how to block. 8n fisticuffs if you. Or how to change this keyboard on my phone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 21:20 
Bad Girl

Cras wrote:
Good god man how are you so relentlessly wrong? It's truly impressive.

You don’t love the voice actors? Jesus man, you’re hard to please.

Also X to block, Malia.

Oh and slowly depress the trigger until the circle is full and then squeeze it all the way a second time. But not too fast or faster depending on who you’re dueling with. And then press the trigger a third time to shoot, I think. Or was it bumper to mark where to shoot? And then depress the right trigger with your pinkie finger only to find you’re holding a banana. Or just die repeatedly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 19:28 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:

I’m also much less impressed with how utterly fucking boring shoot-outs are especially since one particularly short chapter is just a long running battle. Is there even a difficulty setting? I just get behind cover, pop up and flick the stick to an enemies head and kill them in one shot. Rinse and repeat. People complain about Gears of War combat being tiresome but without the beauty and the spectacle of the world no one would play this because it’s core mechanics are “fun”.

Here’s an example then. It’s fairly late game but there’s no spoilers. It’s interesting to note that the combat hasn’t changed over, like, 30-40 odd hours (I better check how long I’ve been playing. I’ve just finished Arthur’s story) and I’m using a bog standard carbine I find on the ground at the beginning of the video.

When I get stuck in and start shooting you’ll notice how I just lock to cover and start popping up and down to target someone, then I flick the stick up to go for the head and shoot. Pop up, shoot, back down, pop up, shoot, repeat and rinse. There’s zero incentive to do anything else. You could throw some fire bottles or explosives, and I have, but I kinda forget to do that when the shooting starts because popping up and down is so efficient. I don’t think I get hit once because I’m locked behind cover and it takes a ton of shots to bring you down in any event.

And I’ve never purchased any ammo either such that I might need to switch weapons on the fly. I’ve always got tons of the stuff from just running about or picking up a shit load at camp. Besides a handgun or a carbine handle about the same and I’ve picked up a load of different carbines, rifles etc from just playing the game normally so there’s always something that facilitates this ‘pop up and shoot’ mechanic. I’ve only ever brought one gun from a shop too: it’s a gold shotgun because why not have a gold shotgun.

And that’s another thing! The camp is always moaning about money but I’ve been running about with loads since an early bank job and fully upgraded the camp. There’s just got no reason to pop to the shops for more guns and ammo so I’ve been flush with cash for well over 20 hours in game.

Anyway, here’s some shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 19:52 
Hello Hello Hello

GTA4 Cowboy Edition, by all accounts.

May as well stick with what works I suppose, why iterate your combat mechanics when you can model horse testicles that shrink in winter?

The 'Tatters' chap at work who really likes the game and is now getting into the multiplayer, freely describes the controls as 'janky' and the shooting as 'pretty bad' (the train accident which killed Tatters was due to him pressing the wrong button at the wrong time).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 20:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'd love to know what button he pressed to get killed by a train, unless it was "walk in front of train", in which case :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 21:15 
Bad Girl

I’d love to know why his horse was called “Tatters”.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 21:21 
chewbacca -future arc welder

It was originally called potatoes but language evolves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 21:29 
Unpossible!

Boil him, mash him, stick him in a stew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Satsuma wrote:

LET ME TELL YOU A STORY.

Cras wrote:
I'd love to know what button he pressed to get killed by a train, unless it was "walk in front of train", in which case :shrug:

It was something to do with galloping alongside a train and pressing the wrong button and ramming the horse into the train instead of jumping onto it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:47 
UltraMod

Satsuma wrote:

I’m waiting for the YouTube series

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 14:17 
Bad Girl

Story spoilers.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
So I’ve done Arthur’s campaign and half of John’s.

Whilst I’d have liked a little more time spent on my horse’s death I thought the scene was really touching, although I’m surprised Arthur didn’t put his horse out it’s misery. Not least because I’ve spent 80% of the game with that horse. I’ve only managed to kill one horse by accident when we fell down a steep slope, which I think was pretty good going and made that final scene quite poignant for me. I’m sure that’s what they wanted so well done Rockstar for that. It wasn’t done as well as Argo’s fall but nothing will match that bombshell.

I enjoyed the ending immensely knowing that Dutch was going to survive despite being a thoroughly unlikeable fella. I managed to get the good honest ending and choked to death as the sun rose. I’ve looked at the bad endings and I think I’d be mighty annoyed if that had been my death especially as I’d done all the side missions attempting to repent for my sins after the diagnosis (I might be wrong but my honour rating was hovering a decent way above halfway until I did one particular mission when it shot right up to max honour). There was something fascinating about dying from an incurable disease in a game that really hit home to me during those final hours of play. All the coughing and spluttering and Arthur gradually looking rough as shit. I stopped caring, as he might have, with cleaning myself, shaving and waxing my hair knowing that I’d eventually be fucked no matter what was going to happen in the game.

Still, I was kinda annoyed that the final mission didn’t last that long and didn’t have that many ups and downs. I wanted something a bit longer maybe running across the map a bit more. And to end the fight with a punch up which, to be fair, might be fitting for the character, but is probably the least interesting mechanic in the game. Press A, occasionally press X. I mean, it could have been a knife fight perhaps? Maybe start with a duel? What about a duel you can’t win but Micah’s gun always jams or it backfires? A one-off mechanic for something new and interesting? I don’t know, a fist fight just didn’t do it for me.

Still, a great little story.

But fuck me did it pad out those last missions. I wish it wasn’t a open world because there were times when I had only one mission open and it was a 5+minute trek across the map to get the next mission going. When the pace should have been ramping up and up and up towards the conclusion the open world structure really fucked itself with these long gaps with nothing in between. Oh and the redemption missions? I really enjoyed them but fucking hell if they weren’t just Arthur coming to say hello and the “mission” ending and then another 5+ minute trek to the next open mission...but then another redemption mission pops up in the same spot so it’s back again and another 5 minute trek for Arthur to turn up and go “hey. Well, I’ll be seeing ya”.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 21:55 
Bad Girl

John

’s last third of the story was great. Punchier, not so much dead time, no side quests (thankfully) and just very satisfying throughout.

I felt all sad when he said he had Arthur’s ring which was returned from that former beau. The fishing scene was a nice call back to arthur too. Oh and the building montages were ace.

In fact, there was so little to get annoyed about I just bloody enjoyed myself for a change.

And the final song over the credits was just absolutely perfect. A jaunty sad tale. That’s exactly what RDR2 is. Brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 22:23 
Bad Girl

Erm, anyone know what’s in the region to the South West that’s now available? This is Red Dead 1 country, right, but reimagined? It’s massive but empty out here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 22:33 
Bad Girl

What the hell is going on here?

is the entire Red Dead 1 map down here (sans Mexico)? Because, well, why not spend a shit load of resources on a postgame bit? Jesus, this is great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 0:57 

There's someone you can go and see* and he'll introduce himself as a friend of Arthur's and break the bad news.

*It doesn't prompt you to do this in any way but I was just wondering how they were making out so thought I'd pay a visit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 14:00 
Rude Belittler

It does have a bad habit of "here's a mission marker, but it's actually just a cutscene, and the actual mission marker is 300 miles away."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 14:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also the slightly annoying "Here is a mission for Hosea" only you talk to Hosea, and there's a cutscene, and Micah turns up and you end up doing a mission for Micah instead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 16:31 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cras wrote:
Also the slightly annoying "Here is a mission for Hosea" only you talk to Hosea, and there's a cutscene, and Micah turns up and you end up doing a mission for Micah instead.

That really scales up in the endgame.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 16:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I see it missed out on Game of the Year, which went to God of War.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 17:36 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:

Seems fair to me. Both strong narratives, both look absolutely beautiful, but I’d give it to GoW because the combat is so satisfying.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 18:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:

I bet Rockstar are disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 18:31 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I bet Rockstar are disappointed.

Must whip harder!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 21:38 
Hello Hello Hello

God of War is definitely better than RDR2.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 21:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:

Giphy "that's bait.":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/CNaiVhQWSBB3W/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 21:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bang on as always

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 21:59 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:

Having played both of them extensively, you should know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 22:16 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Hearthly wrote:

I love that we’re taking lessons in monotonous gaming from someone who plays pretend fruit machines with a monotonous voiceover. Well qual.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 22:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's certainly not quant.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 22:54 
Hello Hello Hello

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I love that we’re taking lessons in monotonous gaming from someone who plays pretend fruit machines with a monotonous voiceover. Well qual.

Hello, and welcome back to the channel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 23:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lyk an subskryb!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 17:59 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
I was heading to flog some stolen watches and stopped on the way to clear a bounty. After paying I saw a game of dominoes about to start on the railway station platform so thought I would have me some of that action. I won the first round, and, as the second was being dealt I heard a train whistle, then a dull thud. Then Myp The Horse landed next to the table. He had gotten on to the tracks and got himself run over. Rip, myp.

This was basically what happened.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 18:15 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Hopefully a future update will allow MLPs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 18:16 
Prince of Fops

Should have forked out for the horse armour.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 23:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Naked RDR2 is quite amusing.

Kudos to the guy who worked out the glitch.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... cter-naked

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 13:24 
Hello Hello Hello

This is a great video. For clarity, the guy thinks RDR2 is a really good game, but that Rockstar's mission and world design is in serious need of a revamp.

Early on in the video he cites a mission in GTA3 whereby you could get creative with the game's world and complete it in a novel and organic way, whereas in RDR2 and Rockstar's other recent output, you get MISSION FAILED as soon as you step off the scripted path.

He also takes a close look at some of RDR2's game systems, and how some of them are essentially irrelevant.

(His thoughts echo some of Satsuma's comments in this thread.)

A decent watch IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:40 
Rude Belittler

Can't disagree with anything there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 
Hello Hello Hello

I watched a load more of his videos yesterday, he's ace. I love the songs he does for the Patreon thanks at the end of every video.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:38 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Hearthly wrote:
I watched a load more of his videos yesterday, he's ace. I love the songs he does for the Patreon thanks at the end of every video.

Have you played RDR2 yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 
Hello Hello Hello

It's possible to make an informed decision about a game without actually playing it.

See, Bamba did it here and no one batted an eyelid.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 8#p1007778

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 
Bad Girl

I’m done with it on Xbox so if you did want to borrow it for a bit, even if it’s to solidify your own opinion, just PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
It's possible to make an informed decision about a game without actually playing it.

Where are the other thirty links?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:13 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Hearthly wrote:

If you say so. I don't think it is really.

I can't say I have read a review, saying carrots are bad, so I won't like carrots.. I will know once I have tried carrots.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Huh?

Quick example, Mrs Hearthly hates any sort of torture scene in a film or programme, like, she seriously can't watch them. The ear scene in Reservoir Dogs? Way off her scale, even though of course you don't actually see the ear getting cut off.

There's a French horror film called 'Martyrs', part of its Wiki entry reads as follows.

Quote:
Their experiments inflict systematic acts of torture upon young women in the belief that their suffering will result in a transcendental insight into the world beyond this one. Mademoiselle also believes the world is divided into victims (people who can't hold tortures and fall into madness, like Lucie and Sarah) and martyrs (people who "accept" tortures and transcend).

Anna becomes the group's latest subject. After a period of being beaten and degraded, Anna hallucinates a conversation with Lucie, and is later told she has progressed further than any other test subject, and has reached the "final stage." She is flayed alive and survives the procedure, entering a state that is "euphoric" and likened to achieving transcendence.

So Mrs Hearthly needs to sit down and watch this film to decide she doesn't like it? Or do you reckon she could determine with a high degree of confidence she wouldn't enjoy it without ever seeing a single second of it?

Reply to topic  [ 595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next