Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, it wasn't me...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oooh! Only 2 more registrations and we hit our 2000th spambot user!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:29 
Unpossible!

Just in time for our 10th anniversary party!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Just in time for our 10th anniversary party!

We've already had it. You weren't invited.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I heard it was great.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
I heard it was great.

Well, that's the important thing...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 20:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

So... the new Windows 10 update has totally trashed my boot loader, and it seems i'm not alone when I do a google. Can't even start Windows anymore, i'm sure this will be a fun fix...
I was looking for something to do this evening, thanks Microsoft!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Hey this new 'Your Phone' app is pretty good.

It basically links your phone and your PC so you can 'browse' your phone from your PC without plugging it into anything.

I think this is the first thing that MS have added to Windows 10 I've actually wanted.

Attachment:
phoners.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:33 
SavyGamer

Yeah seems like something they should have had a solution for a while ago.

I don't send sms texts because it's 2018, and google photos does a solid job of getting photos, but this seems like a good way of doing that kind of stuff too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 13:36 

I still use SMS for anything timely because there's a better chance that someone will get it. Plenty of people still turn off data or end up connected to WiFi that's not actually working properly etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 13:42 
Comfortably Dumb

I pretty much only use text messages for conversations with Mum, although for some reason, she'll switch to Facebook Messenger for no reason. Thankfully for Android there's the Messages site for SMS syncing and sending.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 14:10 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
I still use SMS for anything timely because there's a better chance that someone will get it. Plenty of people still turn off data or end up connected to WiFi that's not actually working properly etc.

I find the opposite. Often I'll send SMS to people and they won't get them for hours or days sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:16 
Hello Hello Hello

So here's a thing, once you enable OneDrive it fucks your local backups.

Enabling OneDrive seems to do two things:

1) It moves all your personal files into a new folder called 'OneDrive' in your profile area. (This clears the old areas completely, so any backups you have configured to back up the previous location will carry on happily, except they're not actually backing anything up.)
2) In the new 'OneDrive' folder it does everything with reparse points, which a lot of backup software doesn't seem to understand and ignores completely, including, amusingly Windows Backup and Windows 10 File History.

I only started fucking about with it last night so haven't reached any firm conclusions yet, and fortunately I was just doing my regular sanity check on these things so no data has been lost. Initial testing seems to show that Goodsync gets on happily with the OneDrive folder structure, but Windows Backup and File History doesn't.

I'll faff about with it more tonight, but if you've enabled OneDrive at some point after getting all your normal backup routines in place, it's something you might want to check.

EDIT - Note this is not down to 'Files On Demand' being checked, whereby the files only exist in OneDrive and just links are kept on the PC. The entire physical folder and file structure is present locally on the PC.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 18:15 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Never had any issue with it. Seems easy to use

I like how you can have multiple one drives.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 18:21 
Hello Hello Hello

It is easy to use, the problem is if you transition to OneDrive whilst you already have other backups scheduled that use the 'pre-OneDrive' paths, in that they will effectively break without telling you (as technically speaking the backups are still completing correctly, they're just not actually backing anything up), and then you have the problem with the NTFS reparse points in the new OneDrive folder structure that a lot of backup software fails to deal with in spectacular fashion.

Forcing the deletion of the reparse points looks like it does the trick - https://kb.acronis.com/content/61362

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 20:41 

So not one drive. Just the way you do things? :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 21:12 
Hello Hello Hello

I guess it comes down to how safe you want your data to be :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 21:30 

Hearthly wrote:
I guess it comes down to how safe you want your data to be :)

In the cloud. Seems safe to me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:51 
Hello Hello Hello

That's great until you need to do a total recovery of all your data and find that downloading 500GB on a home internet connection isn't necessarily much fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 

Hearthly wrote:
downloading 500GB on a home internet connection isn't necessarily much fun.

That’d take me about eight hours at full speed. Four if I used it as an excuse to upgrade to the higher speed tier.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 
Hello Hello Hello

We're definitely getting to the point where cloud is viable, or nearly viable, for a lot of people, a lot of the time.

However, a full DR scenario would still test the limits of some internet connections and user patience, especially when we're talking about hundreds of gigs. (Our total 'backup estate' between me, Mrs Hearthly and Jnr, runs to nearly 1TB. That's a lot of data to pull down from the cloud in the aftermath of our house burning down.)

Also, call me old fashioned but I still like to have extra copies of my backups, on physical devices that I personally have access to. I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that the only extra copy of my data was in the cloud.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well that's why you implement a multi tier strategy. How much of that 500GB do you need back immediately? How much in a week, a month?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:34 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Personally I would be worried about other things if my house burnt down but that's just me.

My spreadsheet is in the cloud and that's only 271kb so I'm alright.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 

Is it not like Google Drive? Can't you access the backed up data through the browser anyway and just download what you need?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
However, a full DR scenario would still test the limits of some internet connections and user patience, especially when we're talking about hundreds of gigs. (Our total 'backup estate' between me, Mrs Hearthly and Jnr, runs to nearly 1TB. That's a lot of data to pull down from the cloud in the aftermath of our house burning down.)

Out of interest, what kind of stuff goes in to that 1TB? All my stuff - documents, photos, website bits and bobs etc. comes to 2.5gb, so that's in my OneDrive folder. As Spotify has 99% of the music I listen to covered, I don't have to keep much in the way of local music files anymore, but the ones that I have are backed up into Google Music. Beyond that, everything else is easily replaced.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:40 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
Personally I would be worried about other things if my house burnt down but that's just me.

On day one, or week one, or month one - yes it'd be 'Oh fuck the house has burnt down'.

However, as time went by the question would be asked, 'OK, so where are all our family photos and videos?', and so on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:46 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
TheVision wrote:

On day one, or week one, or month one - yes it'd be 'Oh fuck the house has burnt down'.

However, as time went by the question would be asked, 'OK, so where are all our family photos and videos?', and so on.

And you'd need to download that entire 1TB on that day, I assume?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:48 
Hibernating Druid

Hnnnngn, want to put Apache Open Office on the kids laptops (as their Office trial has expired) but unless I upgrade the Windows 10 to Pro I can only download apps from the Microsoft store...

Help me Hivemind, you're my only hope.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:48 
UltraMod

That doesn't sound right.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 

Zardoz wrote:
Hnnnngn, want to put Apache Open Office on the kids laptops (as their Office trial has expired) but unless I upgrade the Windows 10 to Pro I can only download apps from the Microsoft store...

You must have Windows 10 S.

Does this work?
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/dont- ... soft-store

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:10 
Hibernating Druid

Cool ta, I'll have a try with that. It was the OS that came preinstalled on their little Asus Laptops.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 13:23 
Hello Hello Hello

devilman wrote:
Out of interest, what kind of stuff goes in to that 1TB? All my stuff - documents, photos, website bits and bobs etc. comes to 2.5gb, so that's in my OneDrive folder. As Spotify has 99% of the music I listen to covered, I don't have to keep much in the way of local music files anymore, but the ones that I have are backed up into Google Music. Beyond that, everything else is easily replaced.

The vast majority of it is media, family videos and photos take up the largest chunk of it. Mrs Hearthly has an incredible ability to take pictures and videos of just about everything, and ever since she got a phone that shoots 1080p video in high quality, the space has got chewed up.

She also does quite a lot of video editing on game DVR footage that she captures when Jnr opens up her new expansions on the Minecraft server, all of that needs to be kept. Forever.

Some stuff doesn't get backed up at all, my movie collection would be another 1.5TB but I just accept that gets lost if the NAS fails.

I've got backup archives going back to 1999, and I don't want to risk losing them, there's a lot of interesting stuff in there. (Earlier this week I was making a video for my channel about fruit machine emulation history, and used stuff that I pulled out of a backup from 2002 for material for the video.)

There's stuff like the videos and pictures of when we went over to see my granddad last year, it's the only time Jnr ever got to meet her great grandpa and they are the only videos and pictures we will ever be able to take, because he died last month - they're precious to us as a family.

I've got pictures of Mrs Hearthly in our student house in 1994 before we were going out together, that I've scanned in and preserved as digital copies - I don't want to lose them.

Both me and Mrs Hearthly have lived a very 'digital' life in a lot of ways, we don't really have much in the way of 'boxes of memories' under the stairs, so I want to make sure the 'digital boxes' are safe and secure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 13:27 

Yes, there is a difference between archive storage and backup for DR. 90% of what you have posted is archiving. I put all my urgent stuff or things I need in the cloud or multiple clouds. I know it will be there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:15 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Anyone been troubled by the file deletion and blue screen problems in update 1809? I’m surprised it’s not been mentioned here, as it’s been reported as a major fuck up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:57 
Can you dig it?

TheVision wrote:

My spreadsheet is in the cloud and that's only 271kb so I'm alright.

Which is more important, the games or the spreadsheet?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Warhead wrote:
Anyone been troubled by the file deletion and blue screen problems in update 1809? I’m surprised it’s not been mentioned here, as it’s been reported as a major fuck up.

There was another story on The Register yesterday about problems with zip file handling (!), fonts not working properly (!!) and issues with brightness control on some devices

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/2 ... m_roundup/

I've been saying for ages now that I think Windows 10 is buggy, apparently MS basically got rid of their whole internal testing team or something, and relies on the 'insider programme'.

The scary thing about this is that all these bugs WERE reported and yet the code was still released into the wild.

I'm going to look into ways to stop Windows 10 auto-updating itself on our home PCs, and maybe wait a month before allowing them to install. (I might just disable the Windows Update service and then manually start it when I'm happy to allow updates.)

Two major OS updates per year is total horseshit, they're clearly incapable of doing it properly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:01 
Paws for thought

Warhead wrote:

As I don't use redirection (indeed, I try to avoid using my doxuments/pictures/etc in general anyway, preger a folder I manage), and avoid HP stuff like the plague, I can't see myself being overly at risk here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Whether or not you're personally affected by the current crop of issues isn't the point. The fact is that these are serious bugs that were reported to Microsoft who then went ahead and released the updates anyway.

'I'm alright Jack' isn't really a useful response.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:56 
Hello Hello Hello

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/2 ... 10_crisis/

Quote:
October 2018 was the first major update to be recalled for quality reasons. It deleted your data. In particular, it deleted data that users had stored in the cloud, that apparently eternal data backup destination, where no data should ever be lost. Right?

It was merely the worst in a series of serious bugs which continue to this day. And I'm focusing on the problems caused by the big update. The car-crash autumn update followed a poorly received spring update. The agony continued for weeks.

The patches are a nightmare too, one recently caused HP PCs to BSOD. And although it received far less attention than the Windows 10 recall, the Windows 7 patch rollup vital to many businesses was also halted this month.

Windows 10 is officially a shit show.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

You must have Windows 10 S.

Does this work?
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/dont- ... soft-store

Update: Nah. Can't find that that option screen anywhere on the store and a chat with a live Microsoft 'Expert' said theirs only an option of upgrading to Pro for lots of pounds. Lots of online articles saying it's an easy switch but I'm quite sure that's not the case now. :'(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:
Whether or not you're personally affected by the current crop of issues isn't the point. The fact is that these are serious bugs that were reported to Microsoft who then went ahead and released the updates anyway.

I mean, Warhead's question (that Dave responded to) was literally 'was anyone affected'. The response is perfectly cromulent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Indeed, I misread Warhead's post a bit and didn't realise he was asking a direct question, which caused me to interpret Dave's response incorrectly - apologies for that Mr Dave.

The wider point about the state of Windows stands though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:00 
UltraMod

Warhead wrote:

No, I'm fine, but thanks for asking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
I mean, Warhead's question (that Dave responded to) was literally 'was anyone affected'. The response is perfectly cromulent.

You only wrote that because you wanted to use the word 'cromulent'.

I mean, I don't disapprove...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:47 
Can you dig it?

Lonewolves wrote:
Warhead wrote:

It lead to replies in this thread, which I then read, so if that counts as being troubled then yes I guess I have been.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:44 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Lonewolves wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Oh good. I AM relieved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:55 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Cras wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Interesting point, really. Depends on how you interpret 'affected.'

For example, you could have been affected because your aging sister-in-law called you to have a look at her laptop because she's 'lost some files' and wonders if you can get them back for her. Or you could have been affected with smugness because you recently bought a MacBook to replace your knackered old Win 7 Acer instead of getting a Win 10 machine (but that feeling could disappear when Apple performs THEIR next foobar).

The possibilities are manyfold.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 21:15 
Excellent Member

Warhead wrote:
Or you could have been affected with smugness because you recently bought a MacBook to replace your knackered old Win 7 Acer instead of getting a Win 10 machine (but that feeling could disappear when you check your bank balance)

Feex.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 14:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Windows 10 rocking it like a champ at Bristol airport yesterday evening.

I wonder where Gate 'Network 2' is?

Attachment:
windowarse.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 15:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The most surprising place I've found Windows in the wild is on those little "scan as you shop" wands you get at supermarkets.

Attachment:
TB9us0a.jpg

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next