Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PS Plus thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 18:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Destiny 2 is utter pointless dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 19:09 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

What? It is just a long winded halo co-op . It isn't a fantastic story, but it is certainly not the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 19:25 
Bad Girl

Cras wrote:
Destiny 2 is utter pointless dogshit.

Fuck you, man. Fuck you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 19:29 

Cras’s attitude might have been coloured by the fact we were using it to kill time while waiting for Spider-Man to drop. Destiny can’t compete with that speeding hype train.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 20:49 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Yes, cras gave it the full 12 seconds before deciding that it was not, in fact, Spiderman and therefore a Bad Game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 20:57 
Bad Girl

Spider-Man is a kids game and Destiny is man’s game for manly men who like to experience something other than some adolescent fantasy of dressing in a leotard and spaffing over strangers in public.

You’ve clearly never had to wait 10 minutes and above between missions while your companions are running between widely spaced markets upgrading whatever’s and buying glimmers or some shit only then to wait another 10 minutes while dancing with randos and making a game of “can you jump onto here from here” and then to spend an hour in a mission which will invariably end with something being hacked while mobs come at you but if you’re lucky then multiple things will get hacked and you can experience a few waves of something else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 21:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

*fart noise*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 21:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

krazywookie wrote:
Yes, cras gave it the full 12 seconds before deciding that it was not, in fact, Spiderman and therefore a Bad Game.

He was playing it for fucking ages! He just never got past the tutorial.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 21:13 

It is an extremely long winded intro, to be fair. I played for a solid hour and still didn’t unlock multiplayer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 21:16 
Excellent Member

I'm currently in the 'fuck Destiny 2' camp, but only because after quickly downloading a ~150MB update file it's now 'copying' that file at a pace that would make a glacier giggle. I've never seen any other game even do this weird copying phase so fuck knows what it's up to. We're three minutes in at this point and it's at 9%. Fuck this noise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 21:19 

I think it’s an artefact of delta patching. The 150 MB you download is a diff to the current game, compressed according to some expensive algorithm. It has to be decompressed and then applied to the game install, which is huge; and PS4’s don’t have a lot of disk I/O capacity, so that’s slow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 21:22 

Someone else has the same theory I do: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-copying-up ... you-fix-it

Basically, you have to do a slow copy phase because you downloaded something in the range of hundreds of megs instead of dozens of gigs. You pick your poison.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 21:27 
Excellent Member

I wonder how they decide which method to go with for specific games/patches because I've honestly never seen this in the entire time I've owned a PS4.

Separate but related: why am I seeing this at all? I thought one of the benefits of PS+ was supposed to be automatically installing of updates (assuming you leave your PS4 in 'rest mode' or whatever it's called, which I do)? Or have I invented that?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 22:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It has to be a game you've played fairly recently, and it only happens overnight. So if you've never launched it, it never patches.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 22:06 

Bamba wrote:
I wonder how they decide which method to go with for specific games/patches because I've honestly never seen this in the entire time I've owned a PS4.

Firstly; it might be that it happens more often but you don’t notice. If the copying phase wasn’t so slow it would be easy to miss.

Secondly; it might be computed on a case by case basis, using whatever is most efficient for that specific update. I know the Play Store does an enormous amount of funky stuff server side to reduce bandwidth by compressing updates; even small changes can save petabytes a day (citation: https://students.googleblog.com/2017/02 ... n-for.html). Sony’s user base is smaller but the files are much larger. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re on a similarly dizzying scale.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 23:19 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
It has to be a game you've played fairly recently, and it only happens overnight. So if you've never launched it, it never patches.

That's...weird. If it's on my hard drive why would I *not* want it patched?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 23:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 0:04 
Paws for thought

for old exploits/ balance
avoiding new bugs
maintain compatibility with old version
things like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
for old exploits/ balance
avoiding new bugs
maintain compatibility with old version
things like that.

Yeah, but if you're concerned about any of that then you'd turn off auto-patching entirely. In this specific context I'm opting in to auto-patching but Sony are then deciding completely arbitrarily which games to actually patch, and that's just stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:03 

Bamba wrote:
Yeah, but if you're concerned about any of that then you'd turn off auto-patching entirely. In this specific context I'm opting in to auto-patching but Sony are then deciding completely arbitrarily which games to actually patch, and that's just stupid.

I imagine it's a cost saving measure. Again, Sony probably pays a kings ransom for outbound bandwidth. Patching every game on every PS4 forever would significantly exacerbate that.

And it's not arbitrary, as far as I can tell it's based on playtime. A game gets patches for some period of time after you stop playing it then eventually stops. And it's quite a while before that happens -- months, I think.

This isn't without user benefit either. Not everyone is on a fast, unmetered connection.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 
Participant in dramatic games

Bamba wrote:
I'm currently in the 'fuck Destiny 2' camp, but only because after quickly downloading a ~150MB update file it's now 'copying' that file at a pace that would make a glacier giggle. I've never seen any other game even do this weird copying phase so fuck knows what it's up to. We're three minutes in at this point and it's at 9%. Fuck this noise.

this seems to be new indeed, fortnite (constant updates because of those challenges) keeps doing it too... luckily i have an extra external drive on the ps4 so don't have to worry about space that much

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
And it's not arbitrary, as far as I can tell it's based on playtime. A game gets patches for some period of time after you stop playing it then eventually stops. And it's quite a while before that happens -- months, I think.

I've got no real issue with that concept, aside from games that you've never played. That seems like an odd exclusion because you're very much likely to want to play those games at some point; as opposed to games you've played in the past but haven't touched for ages which seems like a sensible criteria to apply (if you're not going to keep everything up to date). Sitting down to play a game you've recently picked up and then having to wait the best part of an hour to actually get into it is the surest way to have people giving up entirely.

All that aside though, I'm struggling to get a proper description of what their policy is from Googling around and it's the kind of thing I feel should just be laid out specifically. Not being clear about it feels like they're trying to pretend that it's a full and seamless service while secretly hiding the fact that actually they won't bother patching some of your stuff. Unless they have laid this out clearly somewhere and I'm just sucking at Googling.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 

What I do, unless it's an online only/multiplayer game, is just play it anyway while the patch downloads. There's usually nothing too horrendously broken that it'll ruin my enjoyment. Also, there's a balance to be struck I guess. Some of us who haven't got round to upgrading their HDDs are often struggling for space but I still like the games I'm currently playing to be kept up to date automatically. So for me it all works pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 
Rude Belittler

The thing about Destiny games are the stories are bollocks (and I've given up on any of the few interesting questions held within being answered, ever), most of the DLC is overpriced shite, the dev team couldn't balance a see-saw, a considerable amount of stuff is bound up in raids, which are about the same amount of fun as nailing your sensitive bits to an angry bear, and PvP multi isn't very much fun.

The shooting feels soooo good though. When you've got a load out that really suits you it almost makes up for ALL of the above.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Interesting. My primary complaint from what I played through was that the shooting was terrible, and the weapons felt like lightguns.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:22 
Paws for thought

Pundabaya wrote:
The shooting feels soooo good though. When you've got a load out that really suits you it almost makes up for ALL of the above.

What did you think of destiny 1? because much of the time I thought the shooting in that felt weightless, and rather the opposite of good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 
UltraMod

Too many bullet-sponge enemies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:31 
Bad Girl

The weapons certainly didn’t feel “weightless”. The pistols had some hefty feeling hand cannons and the shotguns went boom suitably. The only problem with the shooting that I had was that the laser guns aren’t much fun to use but the standard munition guns were more than adequate, especially coming from the earlier Halo games.

Oh and most enemies are bullet sponges but that has no bearing on how weighty the firearms felt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:
The thing about Destiny games are the stories are bollocks (and I've given up on any of the few interesting questions held within being answered, ever), most of the DLC is overpriced shite, the dev team couldn't balance a see-saw, a considerable amount of stuff is bound up in raids, which are about the same amount of fun as nailing your sensitive bits to an angry bear, and PvP multi isn't very much fun.

I'm working round all that by playing only the campaign with the intent of fucking the whole rest of it off as soon as I've finished that.

Pundabaya wrote:

Based on an hour last night I'm yet to be convinced. Your pistol weapon feels like you're just farting butterflies at the enemies and the impact of the heavier gun seems to be completely random (and having to repeatedly pull the trigger for each shot is a fucking annoyance; it's not a shotgun so stop treating it like one). I appreciate I've barely even scratched the surface here but it's not making a brilliant initial impression. It's just such generic space shooty nonsense; like Call of Duty with laser guns. Nothing to make it feel any different from all the other AAA FPS. Except maybe the melee attack, it does feel properly weighty and one-shot killing a load of grunts one after another is pretty satisfying.

ETA: in fairness I felt similar about the Halo games I've played whereas everyone else seemed to spaff their pants about them so it's possible just not my kind of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:00 

Cras wrote:
Interesting. My primary complaint from what I played through was that the shooting was terrible, and the weapons felt like lightguns.

Given it has a ludicrously deep progression tree, this might be a function of only having starter guns.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:05 
UltraMod

I can't imagine playing the Destiny story on your own is anything other than a very empty experience. The only thing that made it halfway decent was playing it with Ian and Dave.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:11 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
I can't imagine playing the Destiny story on your own is anything other than a very empty experience. The only thing that made it halfway decent was playing it with Ian and Dave.

I may well give up on it if it's not grabbing me; the chance to experience such a talked about game for free is the only reason I'm playing it. Plus I suppose part of me is curious to get a flavour of how an MMO actually functions given that it's a game type I've never touched before. I'm just using it to kill time until Tomb Raider comes out anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:13 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:

And (with no offense to Ian) it was best before he joined. Mainly as we were both appropriately levelled.

Halo, again I'd never want to play it solo, but coop was ace, and the competitive multiplayer is among the best I've played. (rocket race, Grannies House, that zombie Siege game,sword and hammer smacking... Good Times. ) Destiny competitive modes, the one time we tried, seemed hateful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:14 
UltraMod

After playing Overwatch most competitive multiplayer seems hateful though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:19 
Excellent Member

I was slightly amused by the single experience of the multiplayer functionality that I did get yesterday. There's a point very near the start where you have to take out three waves of baddies and some actual real people appeared in my game at that point. We merrily murdered everything that was required to be murdered (almost exclusively via melee in my case due to the aforementioned shite guns) and the game urged you on to the next story point. It did, however, just keep endlessly spawning enemies in the area you're currently in, and the other guys just stayed there killing stuff over and over without ever seemingly realising that this wasn't going to change. I ended up just leaving them to their futility and moving on with my life. Good job Destiny!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Given it has a ludicrously deep progression tree, this might be a function of only having starter guns.

If you don't give me a gun that's fun to shoot in the first 20 minutes I'm not interested.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:02 

That’s a very reasonable stance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

How can you see how I'm standing?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 

I’ve said too much

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:41 
Gogmagog

You haven't said enough

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 
Sleepyhead

Oh, life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 13:15 
Paws for thought

Cras wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

If you don't give me a gun that's fun to shoot in the first 20 minutes I'm not interested.

And thusly, Craster plays 20 minutes of god of war.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 13:31 
Prince of Fops

Curiosity wrote:
Oh, life.

I'd rather have a piece of toast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 17:29 
Rude Belittler

I mean, my first Console FPS was Halo, so I guess Bungie-type shooting will always feel 'spot on' to me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 17:45 
Excellent Member

I played another round of Destiny 2 yesterday. About fifteen minutes into a section my net connection apparently dropped out for a few seconds. After giving this some thought, the game dumped back to the very start of the level again. Yeah, nope: uninstalled.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:22 
Prince of Fops

Sony's cull of PS+ Monthly Games on Vita has been a bit of a boon for my commute. I'd got stuck in a rut of waiting for titles I wanted to be part of the monthlies, and they rarely were. I was just accumulating PS+ dross.

Now there's no fear of buying games, only to find them released on PS+ shortly after, I'm stocking up on all sorts of Vita goodness, including Deadbolt, Steamworld Dig 2, Undertale and Risk of Rain. May even grab the old Frozen Synapse.

It's costing me money, obviously, but it feels strangely liberating.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:27 

Findus Fop wrote:
It's costing me money, obviously, but it feels strangely liberating.

Title.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 
Prince of Fops

Just got an email from PS+ with 3 months credit for Netflix. Works for current subscribers as well as new accounts. Noice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:56 
Excellent Member

This is just a rumour based on a screenshot of a Polish Facebook post, but the chat is that Nioh and Diablo 3 are the upcoming month's games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 13:07 
Hibernating Druid

Oooh, might resub if that's the case.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Reply to topic  [ 1501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next