And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Post subject: Beex Noire
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 13:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

Scene
Quote:
I pulled the rim of my hat further down and trudged onwards through the rain. It was wet out here today, the kind of wet that flowed right into you and drenched you from the inside out, the rain that pitter-pattered on your head, tapping out an abstract rhythm like some crazed new-age jazz cat from the "Hot Shoe Jazz Bar" on 9th street.
Not that I had been there in the way i'd prefer these past few days, too much to do, too little time, as was the way with cases like this.

It all started in the early hours of the morning, I was minding my own business, hunkered down with Miss E.Fitzgerald and Mr J.Daniels for company, when there was a knock at the door.

<crash>

That was some knock.

"You in, Dick?"

My name wasn't Dick.

The door opened and in walked the rest of my life, all bottled up in five foot eight and long black hair.

"Good, you are in. I need help, and I need it fast"

As a rule I don't help anyone, and I don't do anything fast, but this dame seemed desperate, and while Mr Daniels has helped me through a long night before, he was a cold and unforgiving bedfellow.

"What can I do for you, Miss…?"

I said Miss, but I knew it would be a Mrs, a gal like that doesn't stay Miss for long, doesn't stay Mrs for that long after that, to be fair.

"It's Mrs, and it's my husband. He's been shot dead"

She didn't seem too put out about it.

"You don't seem too put out about it?"

She looked me up and down. More down than up, and with a look that said to me 'Back off, bud' That told me where I stood.

"I'm devastated"

An obvious lie, but then i'd seen a lot of marriages go by the wayside in my line of work, who was to say what she really felt.

"I need you to find the killer, I need you to find him fast… You can name your fee"

I needed to think about this fully. Could I take the case the way I was feeling after last night? Was this dame likely to be as much trouble as she looked. Would I be better off finishing off this bottle and closing the door on her and the pain that could come with her?

"Sure thing, $100 a day, plus expenses. Now tell me everything…"

I was always a sucker for a pretty face…

Possible Characters

P.I
P.I. Partner
Cleaner
Femme Fatale
Shoe shine boy
Bartender
Waitress
Night club owner
Jazz singer
House band members
Husbands business partner
Bar patrons

You may be asked to play one of these characters throughout the game, or another character that I haven't thought of yet :)
You will be expected to stay in character at all times.

Power Roles

Serial Killer
You've struck once, but once wasn't enough.
Win condition : Kill 5 people
Action : kill someone

Undercover cop
You want to bring down the mob, and if you catch a killer or two on the way, then that is fine by you!
Win condition : Town
Action : Investigate 1 person and find out their win condition

Prostitute
Life on your back, good job you enjoy it.
Win condition : Town
Action : entertain 1 person, stopping them from doing anything or having anything done to them. They will know they spent the night with a prossie...

Informer
You know what's going on, you dirty rat.
Win condition : Stay alive and out of jail.
Secondary win : Town
Action : Investigate 1 person and find out their win condition. You must use this action every night.
If you get attacked overnight, you will tell your attacker everything you know, which will save your life. If you are attacked you cannot investigate that night. If you do not have any new information that your attacker has not heard before, then they will kill you anyway...

Mafia leader
You own this town, and you need to take care of anyone who is getting to close to finding you out.
Win Condition : Mafia
Action : Send a goon out to kill, or kill someone yourself

Mafia Goon
Run of the mill goon, you do what you are told.
Win condition : Mafia

Action Order
Roleblock : Investigate : Kill

Roles and characters will be randomly assigned.

Prizes for being in character, sticking to the theme and keeping the story going.

You will be voting to hand someone over to the cops.

Days will last at least 24 hours and the game will start after the cottagers have done their business.
At the end of the "day" the person with the most votes will be handed over to the cops, regardless of whether it is an overall majority or not. If there is a draw, then the day will be extended for a length of time that I decide, where as soon as someone takes the lead, they will be voted out.
If it is still a draw after the "Golden Vote" period, then all players who have the highest number of votes will be taken away to the big house.

Thoughts, questions?

Post subject: Re: Beex Noire
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 13:11 
Unpossible!

Can't wait. Start now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 15:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If it's a draw kill them both.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 16:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
If it's a draw kill them both.

Good idea, it'll make people vote at least...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 16:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

Added in the following rule

"P.I. and his partner will know who each other is, and can talk offline, but they will not know if the other is a power character or not."

As that makes more sense in the setting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 13:37 
Excellent Member

Perhaps a spambot could join - at least it would post more than some folk, and mention bacon too. Win-win.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Added in the following rule

"P.I. and his partner will know who each other is, and can talk offline, but they will not know if the other is a power character or not."

As that makes more sense in the setting.

On second thought, scrap this. This will just make them a target for the bad guys if they turn out to not be a bad guy when the random umber generator has done it's thing. Two known people who everyone knows they can talk privately? They wouldn't last the night! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ah, yes. That doesn't really work, does it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

See, a lot of thought goes into setting up my games, I don't just throw shit in randomly without thinking through every possibility and tweaking accordingly...

<cough>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:25 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
See, a lot of thought goes into setting up my games, I don't just throw shit in randomly without thinking through every possibility and tweaking accordingly...

<cough>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Shut it you.

Shame i'm not doing a school based game, i'd make you head boy...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:33 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Am I missing something? The informer can investigate, but the PI can't?

Also, how many times can the informer use his "rat out" skill? Is he unkillable? does it work against the SK?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The PI is a character, not a role.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:39 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Sorry, yeah, but still, what a rubbish PI! :p

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

:D the PI might turn out to be the informer, or the undercover cop, you never know.

I agree it is a rubbish PI, but it would be hugely difficult to play the PI character if everybody knew you could investigate overnight, you'd be dead first night or I would have to make you unkillable, which would be an uber role!

The PI will have to do his investigation during the day by talking to people ;)

The informer will give up all information to whoever attacks him each night. (note: a night with a prossie is not an attack) He is effectively unkillable, but obviously he can still be given over to the cops during the day.

I'll change his win condition though, so if he is investigated, it will be obvious he is the informant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 13:05 
Paws for thought

Trooper wrote:
:D the PI might turn out to be the informer, or the undercover cop, you never know.

I agree it is a rubbish PI, but it would be hugely difficult to play the PI character if everybody knew you could investigate overnight, you'd be dead first night or I would have to make you unkillable, which would be an uber role!

The informer will give up all information to whoever attacks him each night. (note: a night with a prossie is not an attack) He is effectively unkillable, but obviously he can still be given over to the cops during the day.

I'll change his win condition though, so if he is investigated, it will be obvious he is the informant.

Surely he's then effectively immortal. As roleclaiming would effectively remove the only danger he has, assuming the town weren't complete cretins and killed him afterwards. (Even if someone else roleclaims, the information frm what both have t say gained still outweighs the 'cost' of keeping them both alive.

Admittedly, sme towns have been that stupid. But I have high hopes for this one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 13:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Dave wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Surely he's then effectively immortal. As roleclaiming would effectively remove the only danger he has, assuming the town weren't complete cretins and killed him afterwards. (Even if someone else roleclaims, the information frm what both have t say gained still outweighs the 'cost' of keeping them both alive.

Admittedly, sme towns have been that stupid. But I have high hopes for this one.

If I was a baddy, and the informant roleclaimed, then I would obviously attack him whenever I wanted to get his info. By roleclaiming he would effectively become a tool of the bad guys.

I'll change it so that he has to investigate every night though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 13:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Perhaps make it so if he's attacked he's too busy spilling his guts to investigate anyone. That will make a roleclaim much less appealing, which is in keeping with the role.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 13:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

Makes a lot of sense, done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 17:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think I have fixed the informant. Added in the clause that if he doesn't have any new information that his attacker hasn't heard before, then they will kill him.

Should solve the immortal aspects, and is in keeping with the theme of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 17:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I was going to suggest that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:31 
Unpossible!

Dead thread locked for these users:

Squirt
Craster
Goddess Jasmine