Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: MafiaScum
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:31 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

We could do nothing ourselves to help the game, and the Mafia already have a list of targets by default - the only purpose it could serve was to lessen the chance of a Townie lynching again. Although it didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Sheepeh wrote:
I just had a thought...Dy'a think it'd work to have, separate from the main game, a SuperSpeedMafiaScum hosted on IRC, where 1 hour = 1 day? It'd mean people getting a whole day free but no-one can check times, people have to think fast and people wouldn't need to rush quite so much with the bandwagonning as the longest you'd wait was 60 minutes. Make the day 60 minutes regardless of a lynch or not so people can go have dinner in the breaks, and it starts at a set minutes past the hour.

Just a thought.

Oh fuck no. This has been a fast games as it was. I am mentally exhausted, my creative nodules are dead, and I'll probably get fired on Monday for having spent the entire week counting votes and inventing start/end of day descriptions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:35 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:
I just had a thought...Dy'a think it'd work to have, separate from the main game, a SuperSpeedMafiaScum hosted on IRC, where 1 hour = 1 day? It'd mean people getting a whole day free but no-one can check times, people have to think fast and people wouldn't need to rush quite so much with the bandwagonning as the longest you'd wait was 60 minutes. Make the day 60 minutes regardless of a lynch or not so people can go have dinner in the breaks, and it starts at a set minutes past the hour.

Just a thought.

Oh fuck no. This has been a fast games as it was. I am mentally exhausted, my creative nodules are dead, and I'll probably get fired on Monday for having spent the entire week counting votes and inventing start/end of day descriptions.

Well done, mate. I can appreciate that an inordinate amount of effort went into this. You're a complete star!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:36 
Paws for thought

sinister agent wrote:
Dave, for the last few days I had my eye on you - you were the only person talking sense and considering all the angles, and that firstly made me think you were a townie, but then a mafia, because you survived the night - if I were mafia I'd have whacked you as soon as you started being sensible.

Yeah, I was hoping noone would pick up on that.

Quote:
I can't believe some of you actually thought the masons speaking up was a good idea. Are you mad? It's basically "Hi. Kill us, please!"

I found it quite amusing that as a mafia goon, I wanted to know who the mafia were, and yet it was generally me saying "Don't reveal them until you have to". My scheme was nearly foolproof though. If one is to be lynched, better to out him and have the mafia have to use a turn for killing him than do it yourselves. And of course, you only need to reveal one. Any disputes raised would've been telling. If two remain, then it's best for the outgoing to inform people of the actual amount left to avoid mafia playing games.

The main problem was that people were so lynch happy that there may not have been time from the start of the bandwagoning to the end to get the information out. I really do think that the townies would've done much better by (a) listening to me* and (b) being much less hasty.

* - and in so doing, trusting me :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:38 
Paws for thought

Joans wrote:
I'm not sure there's a good reason for the Masons to stay hidden at all. Obviously, the mafia will kill them as soon as they reveal themselves, but they're going to kill townies anyway. At least if the Masons all introduce themselves then they might be able to lessen the accidental lynchings that kept going on.

But there's no point in revealing unless you happen to be the target of one of the accidental lynchings. (and indeed every reason not to, better to reduce the amount of uncertainties than the amount of people you know are safe if you can help it)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:41 

Mr Dave wrote:
Joans wrote:
I'm not sure there's a good reason for the Masons to stay hidden at all. Obviously, the mafia will kill them as soon as they reveal themselves, but they're going to kill townies anyway. At least if the Masons all introduce themselves then they might be able to lessen the accidental lynchings that kept going on.

But there's no point in revealing unless you happen to be the target of one of the accidental lynchings. (and indeed every reason not to, better to reduce the amount of uncertainties than the amount of people you know are safe if you can help it)

This is true, if someone else looks like getting lynched even the Masons won't know if they're innocent or not until it's too late. Yeah, it's only worth them revealing themselves if one of them looks like getting lynched.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:44 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mr Dave wrote:
The main problem was that people were so lynch happy that there may not have been time from the start of the bandwagoning to the end to get the information out. I really do think that the townies would've done much better by (a) listening to me* and (b) being much less hasty.

* - and in so doing, trusting me :)

Yeah, it was crazy from day one, and seemed to get faster each day. Grim managed to convince me of his innocence in time for me to change my vote (that "read back the last four pages, imagining that I'm a townie" bit), and I was hoping he'd give a reason to go for someone else that would save his neck and get us talking sensibly. No such luck :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:48 

I think that once Grim... said he'd buy everybody beers if he was a bad guy and he still got lynched, the townies didn't have a chance. Although losing the doctor and the cop on the first night must have been pretty decisive as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:52 

Which I presume was sheer luck on your part.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:53 
Paws for thought

That was awesomely lucky. I find it amusing that in Comicals first email, he said the best early targets were Grim..., Mr Chris and Sinister - just as they were generally very shrewd. And by the end of the first day all had gone (Thanks Myp, I owe you a beer), and two were the most important people for us to get.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:54 

Yes losing the doctor and cop was certainly a bit of a blow. What a double hit!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

Yeah, I was keen to get the clever bastards out of the way quick. Sorry about that fellas, it didn't really matter if you had roles, you needed to die. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:57 

Dudley wrote:
Which I presume was sheer luck on your part.

Absolutely. Although if those roles had gone to some of the less prominent posters, then they might have stayed alive longer. Luck of the draw I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:59 
Awesome
Yes

And yet had the serial killer stayed alive there would have been dead bodies falling even faster, making the game end possibly quicker (well, until he got all mouthy and kept getting roleblocked of course).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 17:03 
Paws for thought

We did consider keeping Myp alive, as while I was alive he was useless, and he was almost certainly going to the lynch at some point. Something tells me Dimrill would've been quite high on his list.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 17:05 

Mr Russ wrote:
And yet had the serial killer stayed alive there would have been dead bodies falling even faster, making the game end possibly quicker (well, until he got all mouthy and kept getting roleblocked of course).

Not having played this before, I'm not sure how the odds really favour each side (although I guess it must be tough for the serial killer to win). Once we'd been fortunate enough to get rid of the cop and the doctor, we decided to take the slow and steady route, because if we couldn't win from this position, then we'd really messed up somewhere.

I did suggest we just keep blocking the serial killer and kill off a random townie instead, but if our roleblocker had been lynched then the serial killer would have got a free kill in before we could kill him and it might have been one of us. At the time we didn't realise how eager people were to lynch anybody they could as fast as they could.

Edit - (I presume we can edit now) As Mr Dave said, if he died and Myp got a free kill in, we did have some high profile targets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 17:10 
Paws for thought

Joans wrote:
Edit - (I presume we can edit now)

No, you are obviously mafia scum.
VOTE: Joans

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 17:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Joans wrote:
Not having played this before, I'm not sure how the odds really favour each side (although I guess it must be tough for the serial killer to win).

My job when deciding what roles exist and how many of each there are is to make sure the odds don't favour either side. It is very tough to win as the SK though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 17:13 
Awesome
Yes

I tell you one thing, I won't be admitting to being a mafia as a bluff in another game. I did it to try an analyse the comments of those who posted after me, but it was all townies baying for blood. my blood!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 17:16 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mr Dave wrote:
That was awesomely lucky. I find it amusing that in Comicals first email, he said the best early targets were Grim..., Mr Chris and Sinister - just as they were generally very shrewd. And by the end of the first day all had gone (Thanks Myp, I owe you a beer), and two were the most important people for us to get.

Shame really. I'd have protected Chris, but a lot of people had voted for him, so I assumed the killers would want him in the game to take the heat off them. As it was, I first went to protect Myoptika (yeah, I know, shush), and then changed m mind and went to protect Spinglo Sponglo instead, because I was pretty sure he was innocent, and I'd drawn attention to him by saying as much.

I wasn't surprised I bought it at all ( I should have kept my mouth shut, really), but I didn't expect Chris to go. Damn you, Mypoptikakakakaka!

Although I doubt it would have mattered, as you had him roleblocked anyay. Fiends!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 17:23 
Paws for thought

sinister agent wrote:
Although I doubt it would have mattered, as you had him roleblocked anyay. Fiends!

But we wouldn't have known that it was a successful role block. With the Serial Killer, it's fairly obvious if you've got lucky, but with the cop and doctor, you don't know. We may well have changed to block someone else who was looking more cop-like.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 18:01 
Sleepyhead

I think after the first day it was going to be hard for the townies. I was taking great joy in just being involved in a fun little game. I didn't really try to analyse anything or look at any voting cabals... I just had more fun yelling that we should lynch people. I must have had some influence, as at least three of the lynchings were people I voted for first. I make a persuasive lyncher!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 19:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Joans wrote:

If only someone had said that on the first day, eh?

Joans wrote:
I think that once Grim... said he'd buy everybody beers if he was a bad guy and he still got lynched, the townies didn't have a chance.

Yeah, bunch of dickheads!

Anyway - whoo! I'm in again next time (but I don't want to die on the first day, please).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 19:31 

Vote : Grim...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 19:32 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
We did consider keeping Myp alive, as while I was alive he was useless, and he was almost certainly going to the lynch at some point. Something tells me Dimrill would've been quite high on his list.

Dimrill was number one on my list, but I decided it'd be too obvious to take him out on day one, as he was so vocally sure about me being the SK. I wish I'd taken him out now, as we might have had a very different game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:40 
INFINITE POWAH

Can I be in the next one, please?

I died right quick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:46 
Best
Board Mother

I want to be too, don't know if Craster will be starting a seperate thread for it though so he can keep track.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:50 

Yeah, I'll go in for the next one as well please. Wasn't really in this one long enough to truly get to grips with it ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:57 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Best get my next game request in before they all go!!

If there's going to be a limit, I'd say a good way to go would be - The winning team gets a free pass, anyone left alive on the losing team gets a free pass, everyone else goes in to Craster's hat.

That might encourage more thinking about who gets lynched, on everyone's part?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:58 

Yeah, that's a good idea :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:04 

I'd like to give this another go, although I reckon there's a good chance I'll end up on the lynched townie pile this time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:05 

Sheepeh wrote:
Best get my next game request in before they all go!!

If there's going to be a limit, I'd say a good way to go would be - The winning team gets a free pass, anyone left alive on the losing team gets a free pass, everyone else goes in to Craster's hat.

That might encourage more thinking about who gets lynched, on everyone's part?

Hmmm... I am not so sure - I mean, you are giving the people who got to play for the longest a free pass into the nest one, and some people - like the ones killed at the very beginning, are in for only a few hours and the first kills usually being pot luck means that they were out of it through often no fault of their own. Also, if the 'winning team' is the Townies, then that can be as many as 17 or so players, so others might never even get a look in.

I think you should either have it first come, first served, or a random draw, if you want to be fair about it.

Either way, I will sit the next one out. I had a great time but I have a lot to worry about at the moment and things on my plate, so I don't think that I can play to my best, (which was rubbish, anyway). But, honestly Craster, top work. Really, really good job.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:09 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

There aren't likely to be that many townies left at the end, even if they do win...maybe just everyone still alive at the end?

I just thought it'd give people pause for thought when lynching, as so obviously didn't happen this time because people wanted a lynching before they left for home, or to stop themselves being bored.

It's Craster's call, I feel. He knows if it's likely to naturally get better on the second game without taking any action.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:10 
Sweet Potato

Don't give passes to the living; it changes the whole incentive structure of the game.

I enjoyed watching this game; everyone being new meant most of the people I had pegged as CERTAINLY MAFIA were not. Especially Mimi. I must have mistaken real innocence for feigned innocence!

EDIT: I would love to be in the next game, having proved my non-skill at balancing this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:12 

Edit: This was in reply to sheepeh :) I didn't see vegetables (hehe, what a cool name, I think I may have said before) sneak that post in!

So, I said: Yes, but what about people who haven't had chance to have a go of the game, yet? I think they'd feel a bit hard done by if they had less chance to join then someone who'd just enjoyed a full game.

I just think it seems a bit fairer to have equal opportunities to have a game for all members.

Also, giving passes to the people still alive provides and alternative aim and motivation to the lynchings, whereas it should be only about the emerging storylines and trying to uncover characters. That's my take on it, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:15 
UltraMod

I would like to put my name in the hat for the next game, but I do think that people who didn't get a go last time should have first pick, along with GazChap and Pundabaya, who hardly played much in this round.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:16 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Maybe...maybe...

You do bring up a point about making it possibley even more cliquey in the eyes of the people not playing and I feel that's something that should be considered very much in the current situation. Maybe it is better to have a random pick.

I just like to suggest ideas as they come and have them shot down if they are flawed and refined if they are not. It's how the best ideas come about, I think!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:23 
Gogmagog

Good game, kudos to all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:24 

It would be fairer to let people that haven't played yet, and the ones that didn't get much of a go this time round have first shout, but Craster did say he was planning to do a bigger game next time. We should probably stick to first come, first served again (maybe in a proper signup thread rather than this one), and if too many people want in, then priority can be given to the newcomers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:26 
That Rev Chap

I'd like to play in the next game, I didn't get much of a chance this time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:28 

:(

I'm so bored of hearing about 'cliquiness' now (not from you, Sheepeh, just all over the boards). It's a relatively small forum with quite a few persistent posters, and most people know each other's personas quite well. They used to call it a sense of community, now it's 'cliquiness'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:37 
Sweet Potato

On, ahem, the official Magic the Gathering boards, they have a system where the first five people who sign up on a thread are auto-in and everyone else is selected randomly, encouraging a surge of anticipation for the sign-ups while keeping them relatively fair. You could do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:43 
Gogmagog

I'm happy to sit the next one out as I'm a bit embaressed by my ability to get everyone else strung up. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:10 
Sleepyhead

I'd give the winning survivors a pass through, as an incentive to win, and then give precedence to those who didn't get to play before. I'd love to play in the next one, but don't mind sitting out if someone else who wants to play gets a turn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:13 

Yes but the problem with that is, it's often a good play to effective sacrifice yourself and now you've changed the dynamic of that.

I don't think the previous game should affect the next at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:16 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Dudley wrote:
I don't think the previous game should affect the next at all.

Same here. I'd love to play again (and actually do something this time), but could live with someone who didn't have a go at all taking my place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:17 
Gogmagog

Also, once the mafia win, they shoot everyone else in the back of the head.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:17 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I have to say I've changed my mind and agreed with Duds. ("WHAT?!" - Ed)

If I knew lasting a few more goes would have let me play the next game, I wouldn't have outed myself as a Mason, and I guess that goes for most of the other professions. While there are some benefits to having a free pass system, it's quite probable there would be more downsides, too.

It's simpler to just let it be a free pick.

With one exception.

The "host" of the game gets a free pass in to the next game that they are not hosting, should they want it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:27 
Hibernating Druid

Fuck me. A tramp too.

I thought that the game paused over the weekend, ah well.

Also: Uuurk...buuuuuckfaaaaast...... *stiffy*....

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:41 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'd like to play the next game, but those that didn't get to play last time should be guaranteed in first, and everyone else goes into a ballot if it's oversubscribed. Seems fair to me ;)

I think Craster wants a rest for at least a week, which I can appreciate. If we're busting to death to get another game rolling NOW I suppose we could always have another narrator for game 2 and switch back to Craster for game 3. I've already mentioned to Craster I'd quite fancy taking the reins for a game at some point :)

Reply to topic  [ 1422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next