Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: MafiaScum
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:26 

We discussed the login times early in the game, but after we got rid of Myoptika, they didn't really have any use to us, although we did hold off sometimes so that more people logged in before we sent our actions. If you'd put that out in public then you might have saved a few more townies, because nobody else seemed to think of it.

Rev Owen, the logic behind the kills was that whoever the mafia hit during the night, everyone would look back and see who they'd voted for, who'd voted for them, whatever. So we tried to pick on people that hardly left a trail in the hope that the townies would spend each day as clueless as the next and hopefully do most of our work for us.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:28 
Paws for thought

The Rev Owen wrote:
So, mafia types, was there any reason for me being killed on day two beyond just "let's kill a townie"?

Kinda, I suggested it (I think I did, anyway) as you were being quiet, and everyone seemed to be doing a marvellous job of getting suspicious of anyone who was actively posting, and because whacking you wouldn't lead to any instances of "RevOwen voted for x and got whacked for it, lets get x".

Basically a clean kill which wouldn't leave any suspicions on anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:31 
Paws for thought

GazChap wrote:
Interestingly, shortly before Sheepeh and I outed ourselves as Masons last night, I looked through the list of alive users and compared them with their last login times to see who couldn't have sent a night action to Craster via PM in that very short night phase on Day 4 (?).

The ones that didn't login during the night phase were Curiousity, Zardoz and MaliA. The only other one who hadn't logged in during that time was Comical Gnomes, who for some reason HAS no login time on his profile - perhaps choosing not to show it, which is very suspicious.

Sheepeh pointed out to me that only one Mafia guy needs to login to send a PM, which was a good point and made me realise that the list of users who hadn't logged in didn't really mean anything.

Now that we see the final list of roles, it's funny that the three who didn't login were Townies (as I'd suspected, as they had no reason to login) and Comical was Mafia. The only Townie left alive that did login during that night phase was Runcle.

I did consider setting up a separate account for PMing Craster (We all used email rather than the forum, more convienient) and checking in at uncharacteristic hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:33 

Joans wrote:
We discussed the login times early in the game, but after we got rid of Myoptika, they didn't really have any use to us, although we did hold off sometimes so that more people logged in before we sent our actions. If you'd put that out in public then you might have saved a few more townies, because nobody else seemed to think of it.

Sheepeh and I basically decided that outing ourselves as Masons would be more likely to have a use to the remaining townies. It was a gamble though, as they quite easily could have chosen not to believe us.

In fact, based on comments shortly after I was whacked ("Looks like Sheepeh is definitely a Mason then") if you'd have chosen to whack someone else instead of me, they may still have been uncertain about the real identity of the Masons and gone for one of us anyway.

Another reason I didn't make it public was simply because I wasn't sure whether it'd be in the "spirit" of the game, as it's kinda breaking the fourth wall a bit to be checking login times.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:34 
Time Out for Fun

I felt a bit left out of being the accused I dont think I was voted for a lynch once.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:36 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I did really really think Zardoz was innocent, which is why I tried to stop the bandwagon with a vote I thought people might ask questions about...I had to think a bit fast and to be honest, Dave & co did a VERY good job of keeping any direct evidence compelling enough to post well away from themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:38 
UltraMod

Even though I was a poor Serial Killer, I take some small pride in avoiding being lynched for three days running, despite nearly being for the chop twice.

Bloody mafia role-blocker though. I tried and failed to kill Curiosity twice. I suspected Dimrill from the start, but as he was so vocal about me being the SK I didn't want to bump him off straight away - I wish I had now.

Rude Belittler

GazChap wrote:
In fact, based on comments shortly after I was whacked ("Looks like Sheepeh is definitely a Mason then") if you'd have chosen to whack someone else instead of me, they may still have been uncertain about the real identity of the Masons and gone for one of us anyway.

See?

Had I survived to live another day, my next suspicion after Mimi (what an embarrassment that turned out to be) was Mr Dave. He was the other one I was referring to when telling Mimi that I had a couple of suspicions (her and Mr Dave, basically).

Not that it would have done any good though :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:39 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Also as GazChap mentioned above - I probably did look a bit more Mafia-esque than I really intended to, yet I never actually got votes. If I was Mafia, I'd have made sure to keep myself and GazChap alive so people doubted us and turned on us, giving more time to kill the Townies in safety - I was half expecting to be left alive the next day and not be believed (as it was, there wasn't a next day!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:39 

Pundabaya wrote:
GazChap wrote:

See?

See, what?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:41 
Paws for thought

I was a bit disheartened the second day though, losing TheVision as he was poncing around at some country fare, and Dimrill leaving too.

It felt alot like after our spectacular first day, we were all of a sudden in a bad position.

I was quite surprised at the TheVision lynching though, I couldn't see any logic behind it. He hadn't logged on to the boards all day, and I would've expected someone from the mafia to at least look at what was going on. Still it meant my roleblocker ability came in handy as it allowed Myp to live for the night, and me to feel smug the next day. Roleblocking Mr Chris on the first round didn't matter what with Myp killing him and all. And then it was useless.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:43 
Rude Belittler

the Mafia had an argument over whether to murder a mason or not... I was in the 'the townies will suspect them if we don't bump them off' camp.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:43 

GazChap wrote:
Joans wrote:

Sheepeh and I basically decided that outing ourselves as Masons would be more likely to have a use to the remaining townies. It was a gamble though, as they quite easily could have chosen not to believe us.

Another reason I didn't make it public was simply because I wasn't sure whether it'd be in the "spirit" of the game, as it's kinda breaking the fourth wall a bit to be checking login times.

I was all for following our previous logic and killing off one of the townies that would leave no real clues rather than you, until it was pointed out that this was a stupid idea, and if we killed you or Sheepeh, then that would only leave 1 mason and each townie would have 7 others that they didn't know about. So we had a good chance of getting a vote for one of the other 3, and then we could spam the rest of the votes and win (or spam the rest of the votes, panic because we think the initial vote has changed and attempt to hilariously backtrack).

Perhaps Craster could clarify the login thing, but with the cop and doctor going straight away, I only used it to try and work out who couldn't be the sk on the first night, and because we had a pretty slow start I think only 2 people hadn't logged in between the first death and the night phase being completed. Then we managed to block the right person anyway. Other than that I was just wary of them in case they could be used against us as we were the only ones with any night instructions to give.
I think it's probably only as fourth wall breaking as pm'ing each other. Just pretend we were going round each others houses or something, and if you see that someone hasn't logged in, then you know that they were on an overnight business trip, or they'd gone on a day trip somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:44 
Paws for thought

GazChap wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
GazChap wrote:

See?

See, what?

You have no idea the amount of emailing that went on last night debating whether to kill a mason or not.
I hadn't even seen your confession, so I was arguing form an entirely different place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:45 

Oh my Gosh!

After I said, pleaded with you all to realise that after I was hanged and found to be a townie that you realised who Pundabaya was, that he was mafia, you all just let me die in vain! I said on Eggbox to Dimrill last night that I thought it was ComicalGames and Pundabaya, and I had been saying Joans all of the day before.

But you chose to string up the one and only village maiden. Tch...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:47 

Mr Dave wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
GazChap wrote:

See?

See, what?

You have no idea the amount of emailing that went on last night debating whether to kill a mason or not.
I hadn't even seen your confession, so I was arguing form an entirely different place.

You're not kidding, having been absent from about 7-11 last night, I came back to about 70 emails and I'd missed the day where Mimi got lynched entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myoptika wrote:
Even though I was a poor Serial Killer, I take some small pride in avoiding being lynched for three days running, despite nearly being for the chop twice.

Bloody mafia role-blocker though. I tried and failed to kill Curiosity twice. I suspected Dimrill from the start, but as he was so vocal about me being the SK I didn't want to bump him off straight away - I wish I had now.

I new I'd forgotten an award.

The How the Fuck are You Still Alive award: Myoptika
For being so blatantly a bad guy yet continuing to live.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Getting information from seeing who's checking PMs, or who's logging in isn't really something I like or approve of, but then there's sod all I can do about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:50 
Rude Belittler

Its interesting how Mimi was quite accurate at guessing the real Mafia, but everyone else thought she was Evil Mimi Corleone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:51 

Craster wrote:

You're not kidding. myp's first post after the game started:

myoptika wrote:
Hello everyone. *grins like a man one bun short of a baker's dozen*

What's been going on then? I'm not voting yet as I have far too many spoons to lick at the moment. *twitch*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:51 

Craster wrote:
myoptika wrote:

I new I'd forgotten an award.

I suggested, only partly in jest, that we keep Myoptika alive and let him kill random people for a bit, but as this was right at the start of the game and we could have lost 2 mafia before we killed him if we were really unlucky, it's probably best that we didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:53 

Pundabaya wrote:
Its interesting how Mimi was quite accurate at guessing the real Mafia, but everyone else thought she was Evil Mimi Corleone.

I know, I must give off shifty vibes :smug:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:54 

Pundabaya wrote:

I think Mimi pointed the finger at a good few innocent townies as well, but yes, I think she did get most of us.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:56 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Oh my Gosh!

After I said, pleaded with you all to realise that after I was hanged and found to be a townie that you realised who Pundabaya was, that he was mafia, you all just let me die in vain! I said on Eggbox to Dimrill last night that I thought it was ComicalGames and Pundabaya, and I had been saying Joans all of the day before.

Amusingly though, they sort of followed that logic when you pushed to lynch Kalmar and he turned out to be a Townie, it threw suspicion onto you and you got lynched a few days later. I guess they didn't want to make the same 'mistake' twice!

This has been fun to watch, kudos all.

(also, can't people just hide their login status in their profile? Of course, if you've nothing to hide...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:58 
Time Out for Fun

Deano2099 wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Oh my Gosh!

Amusingly though, they sort of followed that logic when you pushed to lynch Kalmar and he turned out to be a Townie, it threw suspicion onto you and you got lynched a few days later. I guess they didn't want to make the same 'mistake' twice!

(also, can't people just hide their login status in their profile? Of course, if you've nothing to hide...)

thing is though it was me that pushed the kalmar killing, mimi had voted for someone else but said she was suspicious of kalmar, and I replied Id vote for kalmar if anyone else would, and then people voted for kalmar and mimi changed her vote and then kalmar was lynched. So Ill take the blame for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:00 
Paws for thought

Mimi wrote:
Oh my Gosh!

I did feel genuinely quite rotten for killing you (And Grim..., for that matter, who was the only other person (bar Zardoz for the win) I actually voted for and got lynched)

I would've made a much better townie. And I still would've been suspected in exactly the same way, really. The only difference would've been suggesting Comical as mafia a bit more, as he was clearly enjoying it far too much. And also displaying some quite uncanny insights into a mafia persons mind. (And I think he messed up a us/them type thing once)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:02 
Sleepyhead

Myoptika tried to kill me twice, and lied about it!

The fiend!

I'm voting to lynch him next time, even if he's on my team!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:03 

Runcle wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Oh my Gosh!

thing is though it was me that pushed the kalmar killing, mimi had voted for someone else but said she was suspicious of kalmar, and I replied Id vote for kalmar if anyone else would, and then people voted for kalmar and mimi changed her vote and then kalmar was lynched. So Ill take the blame for that.

But Mimi started the Myoptika to Kalmar swing and as Myoptika was close to getting lynched, and Kalmar was innocent it looks like poor Mimi took the blame. Actually, let's have a look at who followed her on the Myoptika to Kalmar bandwagon? Oh, it was me, Comical and Mr Dave, there's a funny thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:04 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I just had a thought...Dy'a think it'd work to have, separate from the main game, a SuperSpeedMafiaScum hosted on IRC, where 1 hour = 1 day? It'd mean people getting a whole day free but no-one can check times, people have to think fast and people wouldn't need to rush quite so much with the bandwagonning as the longest you'd wait was 60 minutes. Make the day 60 minutes regardless of a lynch or not so people can go have dinner in the breaks, and it starts at a set minutes past the hour.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:05 

Out of curiousity, Mr Dave, when you were compiling those voting histories - were they all 100% accurate or did you surreptitiously change some of it to deflect attention away from Mafia people who might have jumped onto lynching bandwagons?

Because no-one would have checked through the whole thread to make sure your voting lists were correct.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:05 
Paws for thought

Joans wrote:
But Mimi started the Myoptika to Kalmar swing and as Myoptika was close to getting lynched, and Kalmar was innocent it looks like poor Mimi took the blame. Actually, let's have a look at who followed her on the Myoptika to Kalmar bandwagon? Oh, it was me, Comical and Mr Dave, there's a funny thing.

But when I voted, I knew he'd already got enough votes to hang. I was just a little tired of the "Is it 8 or 9 votes" and decided to make it 9.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:06 
UltraMod

Yeah, to be honest the mafia would'e won quicker if they'd kept me alive, as I had no idea who the mafia were and was just picking targets at random. If I'd killed Dimrill on the first night like my gut instinct told me, it might have been a completely different game.

Sorry Curio, I hated lying to you, but if I hadn't have answered your question with a direct outright lie, I'd have been lynched straight away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:08 

Mr Dave wrote:
Joans wrote:

But when I voted, I knew he'd already got enough votes to hang. I was just a little tired of the "Is it 8 or 9 votes" and decided to make it 9.

Sorry, I just still kept you on my list and couldn't be bothered to count up to see where the threshold was, me and Comical still jumped on, but we got away with it. The day before I threw in a vote for TheVision just after Mimi hit the lynchpoint as I hoped it would make me look innocent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:10 

Oh well,

It was great fun! I at least got to write my goodbye diary entry :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:12 
Excellent Member

For what it's worth, I sort of had a feeling around day 2 or 3 that Mimi and Comical were both Mafia, as they were playing in a very similar fashion, and seemed to both have a good handle on what was going on (and given how well the Mafia were doing, that's what you'd expect).
When Comical switched to Mimi I was convinced I was wrong about Comical being Mafia. Then saw the result the next day which was when I twigged something was up.
The both of you played the perfect Townies!
(On an unrelated note, you do know Townies is what we used to call Chavs around here... it took me a day to get over laughing at that)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:13 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I acnnot believe nobody pegged Comical. I was totally sure he was mafia from the second day, it was so obvious! Mimi was my next suspect, and I was surprised when she was a townie, but even after she got the chop I had no doubts about Gnomes.

Dave, for the last few days I had my eye on you - you were the only person talking sense and considering all the angles, and that firstly made me think you were a townie, but then a mafia, because you survived the night - if I were mafia I'd have whacked you as soon as you started being sensible.

I can't believe some of you actually thought the masons speaking up was a good idea. Are you mad? It's basically "Hi. Kill us, please!"

I was surprised by theVision as well - I thought there was an outside chance he was mafia because he pushed the first lynching over the edge, but it wasn't watertight. Excellent game, everyone. It's fun even being dead, this.

Also, cheers for killing me off on day one. Bastards!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:13 
Awesome
Yes

This was indeed excellent. I think the only time I was sure of suspecting people was when I said I suspected Sheepeh, CG and Mr Dave in that order. I suspected this because these people seemed to know more than they were letting on, and in the case of Sheepeh it was because he was a mason, not a mafia.

Next game, why not have a rule that you must change your logging in information to be hidden for the duration of the game? That way nobody can see log in times, except for "8 hidden users are online"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:14 
Legendary Boogeyman

I had an awesome time. I only got voted for a couple of times and all of those votes were eventually changed before someone else got lynched.

Me and Joans were playing opposite tactics the whole time. I was outspoken and speculating about absolutely everything, and he kept quiet and chipped in the odd comment now and then. Pretty cunning really, you'd not have connected us as conspiring mafia.

I ensured that all of my glib comments in all of the other threads were townie-esque, and I'm generally beaming with smarmy pride that I was barely sniffed at. I'm sure next time I'll just be a plain townie and lynched immediately just in case.

I have to say to Mimi, I suggested to the rest of the mafia guys (and yes, those emails were flowing thick and fast, we must have sent 300-400 to each other over the course of the game) that if we killed you, the method would be painless poison placed in a delicious cake. It'd have been a good way to go. Better than lynching, anyway.

Great game, look forward to the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:15 

Craster wrote:
MafiaScum Awards

The Want to See Me do my DeNiro Impression? award for person who had everyone wrongly convinced they were mafia: Mimi
Every person outside the game who PMd me with a guess at the bad guys tagged Mimi - observers and dead players :DD

As of course did I in the pub on Thursday. Oh what I fool I feel.

Craster wrote:
Getting information from seeing who's checking PMs, or who's logging in isn't really something I like or approve of, but then there's sod all I can do about it.

I was not playing but I was going it.

I suggest you demand role stuff be sent through email next time. That way people can "play" the login thing if they like, or at least it'll have no relation to whether you've been sent things by them.

Quote:
Out of curiousity, Mr Dave, when you were compiling those voting histories - were they all 100% accurate or did you surreptitiously change some of it to deflect attention away from Mafia people who might have jumped onto lynching bandwagons?

Oh I REALLY hope he lied.

EDIT : 4 times I've clicked submit and seen a new post message damnit!

Death by cake sounds like the perfect way to go, I say!

Certainly saves you the "Death or Cake" decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cake or Death, not death or cake.

'Well we're out of cake! We only had 3 bits and didn't expect such a rush'
'I'll have the chicken then please'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:18 

Which is why I'd be marketing it as "Death or Cake". Try and push the death a little.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:20 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I don't know about this last login stuff - I didn't pay attention to it. Apart from anything else, if it looked like I was going to be away during the 'night', I thought of PMing Craster during the 'day' to explain who I'd have protected - two people, in case one were lynched.

Plus my login times were probably suspicious - I work at all sorts of random hours 24/7.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:22 
Paws for thought

GazChap wrote:

Because no-one would have checked through the whole thread to make sure your voting lists were correct.

To the best of my knowledge, they were accurate. There was one possibly error, where someone unvoted someone and voted them back again instantly (I think I missed a vote from that person between the two) but I did mark that quite obviously, as well as putting in page numbers to aid verification of the data should anyone decide to check. I did think about the possibility of changing it, but decided against fairly quickly.

The Day2 one was actually fairly damning for us - I was considering pointing out how Mr Quiet Runcle had also voted away from his. Via the medium of Joans, who had voted for TheVision if anyone started scrutinising it. (And again, I did have possibly counter arguments. Number 1 being I wouldn't be dumb enough to volunteer information clearly showing me to be mafia, number 2 relied on the absense of TheVision and a possible mafia ruse of all killing him to give easy evidence to say that they weren't guilty*.

* - a ploy I would've suggested we actually use if Dimrill had just been a regular goon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm also glad it's over for a bit. I've devoted so much mental energy to this that I feel absolutely buggered now. It's hard to try to be innocent and manipulative constantly. I hope I'm not mafia in the next game, I don't think I'll be able to put in as much effort to the same role again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:26 

sinister agent wrote:
I can't believe some of you actually thought the masons speaking up was a good idea. Are you mad? It's basically "Hi. Kill us, please!"

At that stage of the game, there was no benefit to the Masons remaining hidden, really. The Mafia knew who all the townies were anyway and as the Masons had no special power to speak of, it mattered not a jot to the Mafia whether the Masons were alive or dead.

Whereas if we'd remained hidden then there was always the chance that we'd have been lynched by our own team.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:31 

GazChap wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

At that stage of the game, there was no benefit to the Masons remaining hidden, really. The Mafia knew who all the townies were anyway and as the Masons had no special power to speak of, it mattered not a jot to the Mafia whether the Masons were alive or dead.

Whereas if we'd remained hidden then there was always the chance that we'd have been lynched by our own team.

I'm not sure there's a good reason for the Masons to stay hidden at all. Obviously, the mafia will kill them as soon as they reveal themselves, but they're going to kill townies anyway. At least if the Masons all introduce themselves then they might be able to lessen the accidental lynchings that kept going on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:31 
Peculiar, yet lovely

GazChap wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Yeah, but people were talking about it days before the situation became hopeless. Particularly Gnomes, which should have been a dead giveaway.

It's as Dave said (I know he was mafia, but he was right) - it's a game of information. The Masons are the only ptownies who can co-operate effectively, so are the most effective weapon, particularly late in the game, and they can't be identified indirectly as the cop, doctor and SK can (via the roleblocker). Anyone who makes it look like they're not a normal townie will cark it - the mafia would have to be daft not to target them right away. If there are only two masons, identifying themselves is suicide anyway - one would die that night, and the next day the second would be doomed, and alone anyway. Or worse - the mafia could let them live, and then they'd get lynched as suspicious.

Reply to topic  [ 1422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next