Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Game 3 - Day III
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 14:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

As the new dawn breaks, the townspeople muster in the town centre but it's already obvious that some of them are missing.

Goddess Jasmine is absent, and so they trek to her very nice, posh house. Jasmine is found dead in her bed... but in very unusual circumstances. There looks like there's been some kind of scuffle here, but it wasn't between Jasmine and her killer, oh no. It looks as though two people intent on murder both entered her house this night, and came across each other in the bedroom. As a result Jasmine has been both shot in the heart and shot in the head, but at different angles and in a very clumsy, rushed manner. It looks as though these killers did not hang around to identify each other and fled the scene as soon as possible.

Goddess Jasmine was the Governor. The Governor is DEAD. From this point on there will be no more Twilight, and all lynchings are final.

But hang about, zardoz is also nowhere to be found. A cursory search finds him around the back of the local pub. There's been no messing about here, his head has been blown away by the force of a close-quarters shotgun. It's a fucking mess, to be sure. It looks like the killer here was very sure this person was his intended target, because a note pinned to the body reads 'SCUM'.

Zardoz was the Mafia Roleblocker

With 15 people alive, 8 votes are required for a lynch. Day 3 will expire on Thursday at 8pm.

[playerlist]
Plissken
JBR
MaliA
Curiosity
LaceSensor
Joans
KevR
GazChap
Sheepeh
Craster
Mr Russ
Runcle
Spinglo Sponglo!
kalmar
Rodafowa
[/playerlist]

Post subject: Re: Game 3 - Day III
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:03 

So, what happened here then.
One of the hits on GJ was obviously mafia (protecting MaliA), but the other sounds like the Vigilante rather than the SK, but the shotgun sounds like a vigilante killing.
Unless the mime targetted whoever killed GJ and the SK investigated?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:03 

Sorry, I meant to put some question marks in the bit about MaliA. By the way, where is he, he offered me a beer yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:05 
Sleepyhead

I'm trying to make sense of these killings, in terms of those responsible.

Given the note attached, the Roleblocker killing seems to be the Vigilante (and would tally up too, as he would have scoped out Zardoz last night, hence the surety).

Does that mean that the killing of our Governor was done by the Mafia goon and the Mime? It doesn't seem grisly enough to be the work of the SK (and neither does the killing of Zardoz). If so, the Mime now knows the identity of one Mafia goon. Useful.

Without the roleblocker though the cult is now unimpeded. We can safely assume that there's two of them now, three if the fence sitter joined, or four if we were hideously unlucky and the fence sitter joined and the Mime copied the cult leader to indoctrinate someone.

Still, at least the mafia are weaker now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:12 
baron of techno

Crap. I was wrong about Jasmine :(
Right about Zardoz though!

Weird that she pardoned MaliA though, after they fought all day. I was increasingly thinking MaliA was innocent towards the end of yesterday though and I'd have jumped in to say so if you hadn't all rushed to a lynching as usual.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:14 
baron of techno

Oh, and
[vote:Mr Russ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm going to call this a good result - the Governer isn't that useful a town role, as they have no more information and only pardon on guesswork. Getting the mafia roleblocker out of the way means a free ride for the Vig, which compensates for the lack of being able to block the cult leader, as I don't think there's any way the mafia can know who the cult leader is.

Who was gunning for GJ yesterday?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:15 
Isn't that lovely?

wow

a mixed night.

So GJ thought malia was a townie.

And then 2 people thought to kill her (because of the debate "yesterday" no doubt).

So probably the mafia and either the SK or the mime.

Also the vigilante seems to have taken out Zardoz which is a boon.

It's interesting that malia didn't die over night. I think that puts the suspicion right back on him.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:23 
Sleepyhead

Craster wrote:
I'm going to call this a good result - the Governer isn't that useful a town role, as they have no more information and only pardon on guesswork. Getting the mafia roleblocker out of the way means a free ride for the Vig, which compensates for the lack of being able to block the cult leader, as I don't think there's any way the mafia can know who the cult leader is.

Who was gunning for GJ yesterday?

I voted for her, primarily because I thought Mr Russ was feeding us useful information.

I'm not sure whether Mr Russ and MaliA surviving the night means that they are sinister, or if people just want us to think that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:24 
Time Out for Fun

Even after that night, my suspicions on MaliA and MrRuss are still valid as they are both still alive, MrRuss accused GJ alot yesterday and may be the more suspicious of the two now. Ill ponder before I make any rash decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:26 
Soopah red DS

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
wow

a mixed night.

So GJ thought malia was a townie.

And then 2 people thought to kill her (because of the debate "yesterday" no doubt).

So probably the mafia and either the SK or the mime.

Also the vigilante seems to have taken out Zardoz which is a boon.

It's interesting that malia didn't die over night. I think that puts the suspicion right back on him.

Malc

Would be ironic if he has a killing role and managed to kill the governor who pardoned him, wouldn't it? That said, I was assuming that both SK and mafia had targeted Jasmine but with luck it was the maf and the mime, as Curiosity said, as it would be an even better day for us if the SK was busy investigating someone, perhaps able to off another baddun (a member of the cult, before they get too big in the background again, perhaps).

I agree that Zardoz has to have been the vigilante acting on info from the night before, and a job well done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:44 

Could the Mime have mimicked the Vigilante but targeted Goddess Jasmine?

I guess the Governor going is bad, but then GJ wouldn't have really been able to know whether she was pardoning someone innocent or not so I guess her decisions were ultimately guesswork. Indeed, there's still no evidence that MaliA is innocent, might still be worth looking at.

Still, Mr. Russ does look very suspicious now after his campaign against our poor Governor. Hmm...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:47 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

As I voted for Mr Russ yesterday and see no reason at the moment to change,

[VOTE:Mr Russ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The consensus went for MaliA yesterday. I'm not sure I can see a reason to change that, especially now there's no governer to reverse the decision (GJ could not have had any knowledge about Mali that the rest of us didn't).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:56 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:
Could the Mime have mimicked the Vigilante but targeted Goddess Jasmine?

I guess the Governor going is bad, but then GJ wouldn't have really been able to know whether she was pardoning someone innocent or not so I guess her decisions were ultimately guesswork. Indeed, there's still no evidence that MaliA is innocent, might still be worth looking at.

Still, Mr. Russ does look very suspicious now after his campaign against our poor Governor. Hmm...

I think that the worst things about losing the governor are that:

1) We've lost a townie vote towards a lynch
2) We've lost a veto that could be more and more useful as time goes by. Witness the last two villages where similar things to this happened. The Mafia and Cult all piled on for the final vote... with a veto, we have one more chance to eliminate them before they can do this, as it would give them away.

Agreed that the Mime might have mimiced the Vigilante, though I'm not sure if that would have resulted in a shotgun blast since that's what the Vig did last night.

Not sure if the SK was roleblocked or chose to investigate last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:57 
baron of techno

I'm pretty annoyed with Mr Russ but at the same time, on balance he probably is a townie and probably not a vanilla one.

However, Craster survives a second night and is now trying to re-stoke the vote for MaliA, whom I also believe has a useful role.

So

[vote:Craster]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 15:58 
baron of techno

Curiosity wrote:
Agreed that the Mime might have mimiced the Vigilante, though I'm not sure if that would have resulted in a shotgun blast since that's what the Vig did last night.

Or did one of the murders in a non-SK style.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:02 
Sleepyhead

I'm wary of Craster, as he knows how to play this game well. He's giving almost nothing away, but I can't vote for him at the moment on the basis that he might be a force for good.

My vote is wavering at the moment between a whole host of players... MaliA for being suspicious, Mr Russ for giving us duff information, Runcle for looking at me funny... I'm sure between them one is bound to be Mafia, SK or Cult!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:03 
Sleepyhead

kalmar wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Also, I hope this is not allowed. The SK is meant to be too unhinged to misdirect when in a killing frenzy (IMO).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:06 
Soopah red DS

Hmm - I think I'm with you on the MaliA and Mr Russ front - there's just shades of Comical from the last game in both of them, and the cult is the growing force (probably) after a bad night for the mafia. I need to have a read back, though, to see whether it was just the rolling bandwagon MaliA was pointing to or whether he stood out as a baddun first of all.

It would be perverse if, having voted to lynch him yesterday we then decided to leave him alone completely, but at least we have the chance to think again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:11 
PC Gamer

One other issue with losing the Guv'nor is that she was unrecruitable by the Cult. So of the sixteen of us there are now four or five Mafia, one to four Cultists, the serial killer, one unrecruitable Townie (the Suicide Bomber), and between nine and five recruitable Townies.

Jesus, the Townies might already be in the minority.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:11 
baron of techno

Curiosity wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Also, I hope this is not allowed. The SK is meant to be too unhinged to misdirect when in a killing frenzy (IMO).

Yeah that's likely, but I'm puzzled:
2 different killers described for GJ. They wouldn't both be mafia, would they?
One shotgun blast for Zardoz. The scum note does sound like vigilante, but who was the other killer for the governor?

Am I being thick here?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:12 

Does it make any sense that the serial killer would investigate? He can kill everyone apart from the swift townie and a wasted hit on him would be the same as investigating.
It would make more sense that he got roleblocked, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:
he knows how to play this game well. He's giving almost nothing away, but I can't vote for him at the moment on the basis that he might be a force for good.

It's worth noting that this is the first MS game I've ever played :D

My suspicions are exactly as they were yesterday, to be honest - the only thing that's changed is that we've lost a townie, and killed a bad guy.

I don't like MaliA, and I don't like Mr Russ. Both have been acting very oddly, and both voted for GJ yesterday. Mali escaped a lynching, but hasn't given us any kind of good reason why he should. Zardoz voted for him though, so I doubt he's mafia.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:14 
Sleepyhead

kalmar wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

One shotgun blast for Zardoz. The scum note does sound like vigilante, but who was the other killer for the governor?

Am I being thick here?

The Mime.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:15 

kalmar wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Am I being thick here?

I thought it might be the mime, but doesn't the mime have to pick a person to mimic and a target. So that means they picked a mafia hitman (I suppose not necessarily the one that performed the kill?) and chose to target GJ who had also been targetted by the mafia. I was rubbish at stats, but the odds on that have to be pretty low.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:16 
baron of techno

Craster wrote:
Mali escaped a lynching, but hasn't given us any kind of good reason why he should.

As you pointed out yesterday, it's not clever to give your role away (unless you're the suicide bomber of course).
Reading between the lines I think he's OK, I'm not going to guess at it out loud though.

Quote:
Zardoz voted for him though, so I doubt he's mafia.

Quite. Why are you suggesting to vote for him then?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Joans wrote:
I thought it might be the mime, but doesn't the mime have to pick a person to mimic and a target. So that means they picked a mafia hitman (I suppose not necessarily the one that performed the kill?) and chose to target GJ who had also been targetted by the mafia. I was rubbish at stats, but the odds on that have to be pretty low.

They could have targetted the vig and GJ, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:17 
Soopah red DS

Joans wrote:

That's a good point - though GJ was the one person, other than MaliA, publicly picked out yesterday, so that boosts the odds a little. Still seems a little bit unlikely, though, I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:17 
baron of techno

Curiosity wrote:
The Mime.

Duh.
Oh yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:28 

Craster wrote:
Joans wrote:

They could have targetted the vig and GJ, too.

Possibly, although wouldn't that have meant GJ would have been hit by a shotgun? The odds are still low.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:33 
Time Out for Fun

Reading GJ's murder again she was in 2 different places aswell, and you'd imagine the mime would shoot her in the same area, im probably just nitpicking mind but is it possible to get this cleared up comical?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:37 
PC Gamer

Bloody hell, if the Mime has sussed who the Vigilante is, we could lose three people a day. Brrrrrrr.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

No, sorry, you're going to have to go off the evidence you've seen at the crime scene. You're all smart enough to know the possible permutations of death, so you'll know its one of those. As for which one, well, you'll just have to work it out. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:39 
PC Gamer

Actually, four including the lynch. Crivens!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:39 
Isn't that lovely?

God wrote:
As a result Jasmine has been both shot in the heart and shot in the head, but at different angles and in a very clumsy, rushed manner. It looks as though these killers did not hang around to identify each other and fled the scene as soon as possible.

I would say that's 2 mafia type shootings.

The Mime (I would say) knows who one of the mafia shooters is.

Can the mime use the ability of the person he wants to target?

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:41 
baron of techno

Rodafowa wrote:
Bloody hell, if the Mime has sussed who the Vigilante is, we could lose three people a day. Brrrrrrr.

That's an interesting definition of "We" there Rodafowa. Both the Mime and the Vigilante have a win condition of town. What's yours?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:44 

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:

Presumably, but I guess this depends on where the "Mimic" action comes in the order of precedence compared to the action carried out by the person he targets.

Unless Zardoz blocked the cult leader last night (assuming that the Roleblock action comes before the Vigilante action) the cult is now probably one higher. Looking back to the previous game I'm now not sure if we shouldn't be trying to find and kill the Cult Leader. The Mafia can't increase in size, after all.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:53 
baron of techno

I was thinking about the cult too.

Mr Russ claimed it was JBR yesterday. However even if he's right I doubt anyone is about to go along with that as he discredited himself totally with that other "hunch".

He dropped hints yesterday that he's the bulletproof townie (as I read it anyway). That's why I chose to believe him, in that if the mafia had had a go at him, he'd know who it was (is that how it would work?).

And if he is in that role, I totally fail to see how he'd know who the cult leader was. Could be it's actually him of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:54 
PC Gamer

kalmar wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:

That's an interesting definition of "We" there Rodafowa. Both the Mime and the Vigilante have a win condition of town. What's yours?

Town, you buffoon.

My point is, if we fuck up a lynch and the Serial Killer, Vigilante and Mime both guess wrong as to who they think is Mafia/Cult, that could potentially be three Townies down plus the one we know the Mafia will kill. Christ, actually that's potentially five Townies gone, isn't it?

Given that the Mafia already control either four or five votes (depending on where the Fence Sitter went) and by the end of tonight potentially only six votes will be needed to lynch somebody, that's pretty troubling for Team Good Guy, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:55 
Isn't that lovely?

GazChap wrote:
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:

Presumably, but I guess this depends on where the "Mimic" action comes in the order of precedence compared to the action carried out by the person he targets.

Unless Zardoz blocked the cult leader last night (assuming that the Roleblock action comes before the Vigilante action) the cult is now probably one higher. Looking back to the previous game I'm now not sure if we shouldn't be trying to find and kill the Cult Leader. The Mafia can't increase in size, after all.

Thoughts?

We've got 2 groups and as townies we need to get rid of both of them. I don't see how we can tell the difference between the 2 based on what they say. But we need to make sure we know "group action" when we see it.

Look for people changing their minds/tact from one day to the next.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:59 
baron of techno

Why assume the worst? As the game goes on it (should) get easier to guess who the bad guys are. For example, it looks like the vigilante got it right and rid us of one Mafia last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:59 
baron of techno

(that was at rodafowa)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 17:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

kalmar wrote:
Why assume the worst? As the game goes on it (should) get easier to guess who the bad guys are. For example, it looks like the vigilante got it right and rid us of one Mafia last night.

Absolutely. I'd assume that was based on a night 1 investigation, though - so we probably won't score a vig kill tonight unless it's a lucky guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 17:02 
Soopah red DS

kalmar wrote:

It certainly does, plus it's just as likely, as numbers diminish, that the two bad-guy sides won't know which is which either, so the mafia might off a cultist or the cult try to recruit a mafia man, which helps us along.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 17:05 
PC Gamer

kalmar wrote:

I'm not assuming the worst, I'm just advising caution. It'd be relatively easy for the killing roles to hand the Cult or the Mafia the game completely by well-intentioned accident.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 17:13 
Isn't that lovely?

I'm off home, and then making dinner putting the kids down etc.

I'll be on later, not sure when tho.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 17:14 
Sleepyhead

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
I'm off home, and then making dinner putting the kids down etc.

I'll be on later, not sure when tho.

Malc

My God, do your child-killing ways ever stop?

[vot... only kidding.

I'm off to get drink. Don't lynch a townie while I'm away!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 17:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:
[vot... only kidding.

Glad you didn't put the 'e' in, there - that would probably fuck things up right proper :DD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 17:30 
Gogmagog

Crikey, I go to bed last night thinking I'm a dead man, then, this afternoon, find out my benefactor is dead.

I love this game.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next