Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits N Bobs 42
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 13:52 
Decapodian

Very nice. How much time do you have in Rome?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 15:11 
Sleepyhead

If you like cheese, there's a great restaurant based around cheese.

Cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 15:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh hello!

Barclaycard are idiots. Go online to change my address (like I should have done four months ago). Put in the postcode, look up the street address. "Field value is too long, maximum is 23 dharacters. Please abbreviate". But...you looked it up! Why would you set a maximum field length shorter than what YOU JUST FILLED IT IN WITH? Fine. I'll appreviate it. Hit submit. Changes it back to the unabbreviated value and then complains it's too long again.

BARCLAYCARD, YOU'RE FUCKING DUMB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 15:28 
Ready for action

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Four nights, arrive on the Thursday and leave the Monday evening. I can't believe she kept it secret for so long, she booked it before the summer last year :o

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 16:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
Put in the postcode, look up the street address. "Field value is too long, maximum is 23 dharacters. Please abbreviate".

What the fuck street do you live on?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 16:02 
Decapodian

sdg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Four nights, arrive on the Thursday and leave the Monday evening. I can't believe she kept it secret for so long, she booked it before the summer last year :o

Excellent. We loved it (and Pompeii which is an easy day trip) and you need a few days to see enough of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 16:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

One that's more than 23 characters!

Still, when you're creating a text field that you're going to autopopulate from a look up, you set the max input length to be the size of the longest street name the lookup might return, no?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 16:04 
Ready for action

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
sdg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Excellent. We loved it (and Pompeii which is an easy day trip) and you need a few days to see enough of it.

Oh I didn't realise we could visit Pompeii...I don't know if we'll have time mind you, since one day will be taken up with the rugby and general drunken revelry. I can't wait though, it's going to be so beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 16:28 
Paws for thought

Cras wrote:
Oh hello!

Barclaycard are idiots. Go online to change my address (like I should have done four months ago). Put in the postcode, look up the street address. "Field value is too long, maximum is 23 dharacters. Please abbreviate". But...you looked it up! Why would you set a maximum field length shorter than what YOU JUST FILLED IT IN WITH? Fine. I'll appreviate it. Hit submit. Changes it back to the unabbreviated value and then complains it's too long again.

BARCLAYCARD, YOU'RE FUCKING DUMB.

Agreed. It took plenty of effort to get them to believe my road existed. The autocomplete filled in wrong details.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 16:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That'll be an issue with their source postcode DB though. I can kind of forgive that as they'll be subscribing to a third party service. To autopopulate a field with data that's too long for the field though? That's just ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 17:00 
Sitting balls-back folder

Our service/install engineers send us shit (usually of their making) and expect us to jump, instead of doing what they know they're supposed to, all the time.

For instance, one just sent a screenshot* with German text on it. So I took a vague guess (because I know a vague amount of German) and followed it up with "I'm not manually transcribing German into Google translate."**

* To someone else, despite having been told repeatedly who the product contact is
** This is why they always go via someone else, apparently believing anything other than "forward to Bik, re-forward the response" happens that way. My refusal to jump up and down like a puppy in response to vague unhelpful demands clearly works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 17:02 
Paws for thought

Cras wrote:
That'll be an issue with their source postcode DB though. I can kind of forgive that as they'll be subscribing to a third party service. To autopopulate a field with data that's too long for the field though? That's just ridiculous.

It was more the refusal to believe me when I phoned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 17:15 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Cras wrote:

It was more the refusal to believe me when I phoned.

That happened to me years ago; O2 wouldn't sell me a phone because their system couldn't find my address. It was part of their security checking process that the address had to be in the system so it was a total no-go. They referred me to the Royal Mail, as that's who supplies their address data, and I had to fill out a request for them to add it to their data then wait until O2 got a refresh before anything could go ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 17:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And that's what makes me laugh about Barclaycard. I work for a bank - how well exactly do all your anti-money laundering and fraud checking tools work if you can't even accurately record your customer's address?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 17:32 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Happy Gillday !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 17:32 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/01/v ... suke-oono/

Books cut into stories

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 17:57 
Decapodian

sdg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
sdg wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Oh I didn't realise we could visit Pompeii...I don't know if we'll have time mind you, since one day will be taken up with the rugby and general drunken revelry. I can't wait though, it's going to be so beautiful!

Yep, there are organised tours from Rome, but they are pretty expensive and don't give you that much time there - probably 2 hours which is nowhere near enough.
Instead you can do it on the train which is really straightforward.
There's a fast and very modern train from Termini station in Rome down to Napoli which takes about an hour and costs under £50 return if you book in advance. You can do this on http://www.trenitalia.com/ and then you pick your tickets up from one of the machines in the station (which do English) on the day. Once you get to Napoli it's a 3 minute walk to the circumvesuviana line which, and this is being fair to it, is a rattly old heap of crap but it takes you to Pompeii Scavi station in about half an hour.

Well worth doing if you are in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 18:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:

But that's coming from the same third party service. You surely can't expect them to do a count on every possible response?

The fact they've limited it at all is rather odd though, I must confess. Still, they have a few more customers than I do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 18:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

"Hi, $PostcodeDBVendor, we'd like to use your service! I'll assume you can provide us with a web service? Kindly let us know the max length of all your return values, and then we can use that for our input fields when we populate them. Thanks chums! Hurrah for interoperability!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 19:41 
This is in the city centre. Totally gonna check that badboy out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 20:17 

Also, the number of possible values returned for a full 7 character postcode isn't going to be that big, you could easily find the max. length ;)

The Barclaycard website is shit though, I've not been able to change my contact details on that because it refuses to accept that "Shropshire" is a valid county, despite that being the one returned by the postcode lookup. I can't be arsed to fucking argue with it, I've just left it. Never use the damn thing any more anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 20:25 
UltraMod

Salops!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:07 

GazChap wrote:
Also, the number of possible values returned for a full 7 character postcode isn't going to be that big, you could easily find the max. length ;)

The Barclaycard website is shit though, I've not been able to change my contact details on that because it refuses to accept that "Shropshire" is a valid county, despite that being the one returned by the postcode lookup. I can't be arsed to fucking argue with it, I've just left it. Never use the damn thing any more anyway.

Same with Leicestershire, I just told them Leicester was in London and they happily believed me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 22:41 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

FAO TheVision. I found an auction for you to bid on. buy me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 22:45 
Best
Board Mother

Happy birthday Gilly! Xxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 23:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bobbyaro wrote:

Both consoles are locked in with no keys so presumably, they can't change the games? Deal!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 0:16 
Chinny chin chin

Bow down before my CPC 6128, it has 8GB of storage attached to it:

[flicks V's at Speccy and C64 users and runs]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:09 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

TheVision wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Both consoles are locked in with no keys so presumably, they can't change the games? Deal!

You don't play games anyway! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Fair point but I do actually play my 3DS. It's easily my most played console as I can sit with my daughter asleep on my lap and play at the same time.

I'm hoping she'll want to go to lots of after school clubs when she's older so I can sit in the car playing on it while waiting for her.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 

chinnyhill10 wrote:

There's something pleasing about marrying old and new tech. 8GB would feel like almost infinite storage space on an 8-bit machine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:11 
Decapodian

Kern wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

There's something pleasing about marrying old and new tech. 8GB would feel like almost infinite storage space on an 8-bit machine.

I think my Amiga has a 2gb flash card and that's more storage than I'll ever use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:26 
Chinny chin chin

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Kern wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I think my Amiga has a 2gb flash card and that's more storage than I'll ever use.

2GB is easy to fill on an Amiga. I've got a 4gb card and it doesn't have much space free.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 
UltraMod

*explodes*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:29 
Chinny chin chin

Kern wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

The one downside is that the floppy emulator requires the CPC's DSK images to be converted from 178k per side to 1 meg per side. So you need more space than you might think.

Have also run up against the problem that it can only run as a B drive, which some games dislike.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:31 
Decapodian

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Kern wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

2GB is easy to fill on an Amiga. I've got a 4gb card and it doesn't have much space free.

Oh yeah, if you want everything ever released on there it will fill up, but there aren't that many Amiga games that still hold up well enough for regular play.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 
Chinny chin chin

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Oh yeah, if you want everything ever released on there it will fill up, but there aren't that many Amiga games that still hold up well enough for regular play.

By no means do I have everything ever released. But most notable stuff is on there. If someone mentions a game it's nice to go and actually play it. It's not like you have to worry about the cost increase between a 2GB and 4GB card these days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 
Chinny chin chin

Kern wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I wouldn't have known what 8GB was back in the day!

It was amazing when I got my 3.5 inch disk drive that formatted to 400k per side (you had a switch on the back which switched sides of the disk as the CPC has no comprehension of a double head drive).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 17:28 
Excellent Member

Parents evening tonight. My only consolation is thinking it *must* be worse for the teachers than the parents.

I've a feeling someone is going to have his phone taken off him later this evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 22:10 
If any of you remember my wallet was stolen while I was in australia, nearly a year ago, I got a message from some random guy about 3 weeks ago on facebook (only saw it now) saying his mate found it on a roof somewhere. Asked if I wanted to do something with it or for them to destroy it.

Nice to see that some people still try and do the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 22:24 
Unpossible!

It's taken him this long to spell your surname correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:05 

Noticed clawmarks on my winter coat. When I was a friend's house the other week and it was on the coat rack, their kitten must have started climbing on it and used it to delay his fall.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:36 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
Noticed clawmarks on my winter coat. When I was a friend's house the other week and it was on the coat rack, their kitten must have started climbing on it and used it to delay his fall.

Hessian bag. Brick. Canal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Kern wrote:

Hessian bag. Brick. Canal.

That's a bit wasteful. He could give it to a charity shop or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Full moon last night maybe? Did you wake up naked in a wood?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:19 

Trooper wrote:
Full moon last night maybe? Did you wake up naked in a wood?

I do need a shave and haircut, come to think of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Kern wrote:

I do need a shave and haircut, come to think of it.

That describes about 90% of this forum I reckon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:19 
Excellent Member

I think I'm still drunk.

It's going to be a looooooong day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Heh:

Attachment:
mordor.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:53 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Heh:

Attachment:
mordor.png

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 14:21 
Excellent Member

I notice that Deus Ex game has popped up on Google Play, has anyone played the iOS version and is it any good? Given they're charging a fiver for it I'd rather hear from someone who's actually played it before I fork over for it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 60  Next