Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 20:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Very generous with the free packs IMO, pretty easy to get 13 packs of free cards.

I 'bought' 50 packs with my gold, then got the 13 free packs, and then 'bought' another 25 packs just because I love opening packs of cards - still got 5095 gold and 14685 dust. Dust took a bit of a hit as I crafted a Leeroy for a silly new aggro pally deck which I powered through the wins with for the bonus free packs with.

Ended up with a very nice representation of the new cards, including 5 new unique legendaries. (Annoyingly I got 7 legendaries in total but 2 of them were dupes!)

I'll wait and see how the meta settles down and let smarter people than me work out optimal decks to try, although my initial impression of C'Thun decks is the same as yours zaphod, seems to be too slow - they were dead before they got a sniff of a chance of playing him. There's no point buffing a card tucked away in your deck, that you never get to play :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 20:46 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Hearthly wrote:
they were dead before they got a sniff of a chance of playing him. There's no point buffing a card tucked away in your deck, that you never get to play :)

I've now played 2 that managed to get him out , one was a very smart looking priest deck , a few cards with 'heals buff cthun' and with other heal centric cards they churned through there deck quite quickly and then played a '20' point Cthun which took me out - one i think deserves a bit of a look as the only 'old' cards they played were clerics

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 
Excellent Member

C'thun Decks are pretty fun, but i'm sure they'll get tiresome very soon.

BTW, did anyone tried this game?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... -released/

Looks pretty great and has the same F2P model as Hearthstone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:24 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
C'thun Decks are pretty fun, but i'm sure they'll get tiresome very soon.

BTW, did anyone tried this game?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... -released/

Looks pretty great and has the same F2P model as Hearthstone.

Re. Duelyst - I watched the Trump series of videos on it and had a crack at the beta myself, in all fairness it did seem pretty good but there was no way it was going to replace Hearthstone so it only got one evening out of me.

Re. Old Gods expansion - I'm really liking it, not having to hear the sound of Dr Fucking Boom appearing on Turn 7 is worth the price of admission alone. Oh yes and no Mech Mage, which is nice.

Currently playing around with an hideously effective aggro Paladin deck, a great Shaman Evolve deck my brother conjured up, and my favourite of the three a C'Thun Control Warrior deck, which I imagine must be very frustrating to play against.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:03 
8-Bit Champion

Two impressive packs from tonights extra's (finished off the win 7 games in wild)

2 Golden rares and a Legendary :

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-04-30 00.46.15.png

A Legendary a rare and an epic :

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-04-30 01.00.12.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 16:57 
Hello Hello Hello

I've gone a bit mental on packs, have bought 90 packs with gold plus the 13 freebies for a grand total of 103 Old Gods packs. (I just love opening packs of cards.)

On top of that I've crafted (IIRC) four legendaries, several epics and a few rares - so I've burned through a chunk of my dust as well. (And I've not done too bad on opening decent cards either - but I just want to try as many new decks as possible.)

Currently having fun with this Rogue deck, 100% playing in Standard, no interest in Wild at the moment - it's so nice to wave goodbye to so many annoying decks and cards :)

Attachment:
nozzer.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 22:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Crikey, so that's 30 wins today then :)

New expansion is awesome, been pinging messages back and forth between my brother and a couple of chums who are also into the game, we all agree this is just the shot in the arm the game needed.

Great fun out there at the moment!

Attachment:
30wins.JPG

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Entertaining summary of the Hearthstone meta early into the new expansion.

http://www.pcgamer.com/7-things-we-lear ... expansion/

This made me lolz:

Quote:
Yogg-Saron is the half-viable one, with players running him in spell-heavy decks as much for entertainment as effectiveness. Inconsistency was the initial fear, but from what’s been seen so far Yogg’s consistency is more of a problem— we know that Yogg will generally draw a bunch of cards, play Secrets, and kill himself, the board, and sometimes you. Y’Shaarj is the black sheep of the betentacled family for now, because his effect is less destructive than the other Old Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:42 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
Quote:
Yogg-Saron is the half-viable one, with players running him in spell-heavy decks as much for entertainment as effectiveness. Inconsistency was the initial fear, but from what’s been seen so far Yogg’s consistency is more of a problem— we know that Yogg will generally draw a bunch of cards, play Secrets, and kill himself, the board, and sometimes you. Y’Shaarj is the black sheep of the betentacled family for now, because his effect is less destructive than the other Old Gods

Because he was one of the early legendary cards I picked i put together a few spell heavy decks and basically its a 'f*ck this all' card - I've had him decimate boards , kill himself , kill me , and kill the other player - its far far far too random and actually because of the randomness you often get a number of dud spells.

I'm playing a few C'thund decks - and actually picking any hero - chosing the C'thund / old gods template and topping up any missing cards gives you something that generally works.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 20:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah but he's worth it just for spectacles like this:

https://youtu.be/WSrcrmy6csU?t=30m21s

As a last throw of the dice he's an awesome card, although I'm not sure I'd ever dare to run him :D

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 18:47 
8-Bit Champion

Crafted my first Legendary in ages - The Black Knight since we've replaced Dr 7 with Emperor 7

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:53 
Hello Hello Hello

It's been very interesting to see how previously retired legendaries are right back in the game, The Black Knight is one, and Cairne Bloodhoof is getting loads of play again too - thanks to N'Zoth.

I came up against this fucker of a deck last night, it was so crushing I had to immediately try it for myself.

http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/deck ... -standard/

Had to craft Eadric (I'd already crafted Ragnaros The Lightlord), and an extra Forbidden Healing.

Oh my word it can make a mess of damn near every other deck in the game.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 21:30 
8-Bit Champion

Interesting tavern brawl this week - choose 2 cards and your whole deck is just copies of those two

I picked a mage and unstable portal / sorcerers apprentice

Came up against a druid with innervate and Nightblade and a mage with magic missiles / mana worm

I suppose if your lucky you could go druid / raggy or similar for a quick win - there has to be something good on the curve to throw in there

Edit cheap combo for crazy early wins : Hunter with Mechwarper + Mechtooth leaper

Turn 3 you can basically put down all your cards and every new card as well + the hunters 2 point hit every round or if you go second turn 2 gets you your whole hand out

Just played a druid - innervate + Dr Boom on round 1 , i passed - he hits face - i drop my whole hand turn two and he concedes :-)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 22:54 
8-Bit Champion

I lost one in here to an interesting Warrior deck (i was too amazed to put my cards down) but about 12 minutes and 7 wins

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 0:57 
8-Bit Champion

Okay hit another deck I cant do anything about - and no easy way around it - mage with ice block and fireball

Each turn they play ice block so they cant die , and they just ping points off you or fireball you

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:11 
8-Bit Champion

Another weird deck - druid with innovate and oracle - so just keep pumping them out and try to get you to fatigue (i just powered through)

And one that beat me - hunter with wolf and unleash the dogs - on turn 3 when i dropped out all my cards he had 3 wolfs - unleash gave all the doggies 3 hits to kill my mechs

And last one that beats me druid with innovate and the 10/10 minion that plays another minion from your deck - by turn 2 or 3 he has 2 10x10's on the board and i dont have enough to stop them

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 15:36 
8-Bit Champion

Attachment:
IMG_3439.jpg

What ?

Attachment:
IMG_3440.jpg

Ahhh , that explains it.

I've not found much that can beat me , the most common deck seems to be mage with mana wyrm and magic missiles , there are a number of druids with innovate + a big minion , a similar deck to mine with rogue - Mechwarper + Iron Sensi but that ends up being a bit more random on where the buffs happen and Gorrilamech decks where that really depends on what other minions they get for 'free'

The 'odd' decks that almost work are Druid with innovate + oracle - yes they can nearly exhaust my cards but i just drop too much damage down - and an interesting Paladin deck with the one minion agents with divine shield and the 'change all minions health to 1' cards - the issue there is I can get too many minions on my side and once i have board control its the end.
Oh and I've played two variants of Warrior with a 0 point taunt minion and Bolster which gives taunts +2/2 but they all cant get enough cards out due to the low amount of mana

What can beat me is :

Druid - Innovate + the 10 minion that plays another minion from your deck , they can do that on round 1 (with coin) or round 2 (without) and they have 2 10x10 minions so even if i drop all my minions they hit me for 20 , and then finish it off next time.
Mage - Ice block + just about anything that does damage , it doesnt matter what they have as their other card as I can never kill them and even just their single point power would eventually kill me
Another Hunter mech deck - this then just comes down to who goes 2nd (advantage) and what the split in cards is on that round - ideally you want 3xwarpers + every other card to be the leaper

And finally the RNG - I have had a few games where I draw 3 leapers (the buff card) - swap them all out and get more leapers and just never draw enough warpers to play my cards - at one point we were on about round 6 (so thats 3+3+6 cards i've drawn and I only had 1 warper)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 17:16 
Hello Hello Hello

LOL, first go, he conceded on Turn 3.

(He'd played one minion on his second turn which I'd cleared.)

Not sure it's one I'll hammer though, might just take the free pack of cards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 18:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Current Tavern Brawl is pretty good fun.

Try this deck for amuse-o-wins.

You basically use the Hunter's Marks and On The Hunts/Elven Archers to remove absolutely anything threatening they play early on, for tempo in your favour that is almost impossible for them to overcome.

Attachment:
brakers.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 15:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Nice Tavern Brawl on at the moment, this deck is giving me around an 80% winrate.

Cards off the bottom are Ysera, Deathwing, N'Zoth and Sea Giant - although TBH everything from 6 mana upwards can pretty much be replaced by any decent card you have for the mana slot, and the game is often over by then anyway. Try and get some dragons in there though as getting the +1 and charge on Alexstraza's Champion is mega-handy.

Paladins are the only class that's giving me any real trouble.

Attachment:
tavvo.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 18:04 
8-Bit Champion

And this is mine

Again the cards at the end dont matter - you can spam any 0 minion cards you get off the draw and you'll probably play a secret on round one but the rest all ramp up (the Giants are actually just in there so they don't interfere with the general 'run' of the deck) because you know the cards you will get i only have 1 of each value from 2 up

Games typically end on turn 7 , when they start hitting the secrets

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-07-10 18.02.23.png

I have around 20 wins , and 2 loses , one to a hunter who got a bit lucky with their deathrattle hits taking out my minions and one to a paladin who had secret eater ready to retaliate - however that did seem to be almost setup specifically to take down decks like mine (most peoples 6 drop is Sylvanas and running her into either my sludge belcher or the 2/1 secret minion will not trigger her deathrattle.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 16:21 
8-Bit Champion

Japanese Hearthstone advert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 16:32 
Comfortably Dumb

That's a rather unfortunate opening image :)

Attachment:
bell.png

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 22:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Fair play to Blizzard, the new Tavern Brawl is hilarious.

Rather a lot of randomness, to say the least, but pretty LOL-tastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 16:16 
8-Bit Champion

So this week you can play your challenges against friends which may make things interesting

And looks like announcement of the next adventure will be on the 28th

http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2016/07 ... july-28th/

Quote:
The Hearthstone team just sent out an invite to an event that will be streamed on July 28th, and with it presumably the announcement for the next adventure mode (especially considering the invite literally says they have an unforgettable adventure planned)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 16:20 
Excellent Member

All these standalone adventures are making constructed play a very costly endeavour. More than ever i will focus on arena as much as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 18:56 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
All these standalone adventures are making constructed play a very costly endeavour. More than ever i will focus on arena as much as possible.

Once you get on or ahead of the curve it's entirely possible to freeroll the game, admittedly I sunk a decent chunk of cash into it earlier on, but I did the last expansion for free (ended up cleaning out my entire gold supply IIRC and bought 100 packs of cards or thereabouts) and I'm sat on 5625 gold at the moment which will buy all wings of the next adventure expansion and leave me with a chunk of gold left over, which I'll keep adding to ready for the next 'pure cards' expansion, and so on.

As long as Blizzard don't change the functioning of the game, I honestly don't think I'll ever need to spend another penny on it.

(Also got 8000 dust, despite the fact I crafted loads of legendaries and epics for WOTOG, plus have two crap golden legendaries I could DE at any time for another 3200 dust.)

Now yes admittedly this is against the backdrop of a total spend of around £160 (as best I can recall, it was around that anyway), but then again this is a game I've played every damn day for 29 months, so there can be no complaints about value for money.

Just keeping up with daily quests nets around 500 gold per week, and the Tavern Brawl effectively amounts to 52 free packs per year as well.

I still say Blizzard have done a commendable job of making the game extremely wallet-friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 19:23 
chewbacca -future arc welder

You should be a politician Hearthly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 19:51 
Excellent Member

For me to freeload the game i had to not play anything else and use all my freetime on this one. Not going to happen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 20:02 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
For me to freeload the game i had to not play anything else and use all my freetime on this one. Not going to happen

To 100% freeload it from Day One required a large and ongoing commitment of time and I'm not disputing that, but what I'm saying is that with a chunk of cash injected into the mix as well, you can hit a point on the curve whereby you only need to make minimal effort to stay there (daily quests and weekly tavern brawl), and can sort of 'ride the wave' to infinite freeplay with just that minimal amount of effort. (What's a daily quest? 15-20 minutes per day, tops?)

If someone is determined to never pay a penny for the game then I think they lose all rights to moan about any aspect of it that they feel is 'too expensive' in terms of the regularity of new expansions or card sets, in all honesty.

(I don't know if you've ever paid for anything or not in the game, BTW.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Next expansion confirmed, it is indeed Karazhan and an adventure comprised of four wings, with, apparently, a 70s disco theme which sounds extra fabulous.

£13.99 in cash monies (although for some reason it costs £14.99 on iOS), or 700 gold per wing.

I've got over 6000 gold in the bank so I'll be golding this one out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... n-karazhan

http://hearthstone.metabomb.net/game-gu ... azan-guide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 13:34 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
RuySan wrote:

To 100% freeload it from Day One required a large and ongoing commitment of time and I'm not disputing that, but what I'm saying is that with a chunk of cash injected into the mix as well, you can hit a point on the curve whereby you only need to make minimal effort to stay there (daily quests and weekly tavern brawl), and can sort of 'ride the wave' to infinite freeplay with just that minimal amount of effort. (What's a daily quest? 15-20 minutes per day, tops?)

If someone is determined to never pay a penny for the game then I think they lose all rights to moan about any aspect of it that they feel is 'too expensive' in terms of the regularity of new expansions or card sets, in all honesty.

(I don't know if you've ever paid for anything or not in the game, BTW.)

I'm not really entitled to argue about this. If Blizzard wants to sell this single player expansions for so much cash, it's their option. And because of that i mostly focus on arena. But the older the game gets, the more expensive and harder it gets for new players to come in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 13:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sounds like a con to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:14 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
But the older the game gets, the more expensive and harder it gets for new players to come in.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you there, but the addition of the new STANDARD mode earlier in the year, and the way that older card sets are now being cycled out of the game has definitely improved things. Goblins vs Gnomes in particular contained a lot of insanely powerful cards which made investing a fair chunk of cash in GvG packs for new players almost mandatory.

With Whispers of the Old Gods, the freebie C'Thun legendary and easy 13 free packs for new players, I honestly don't see what more Blizz could have done to give new players a decent boost into the game, with straightforward access to a powerful, ladder-viable deck. (Almost all classes can put together a decent C'Thun deck.)

Trump tried a F2P climb this month with a Pirate Warrior deck using a brand new account, admittedly he conked out around Rank 7-8, but if you look at the deck he was using it was incredibly cheap to put together and very much within reach of any new player.

I wouldn't call £13.99 for an adventure expansion 'so much cash' though, if you look at the work that they put into these expansions, they're not a trivial undertaking, it's not just 45 new cards, it's everything else around them that delivers the adventure expansion itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 14:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

RuySan wrote:
But the older the game gets, the more expensive and harder it gets for new players to come in.

Is this not true of any game that allows PvP and "levels / progression" of some kind?

Unless it shards the skill levels, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 18:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Unless it shards the skill levels, I guess.

Blizzard have stated that it does make an effort to match you with people who have similar card collections, so not only does it matchmake directly based on your rank or skill level, it also makes an effort not to put you up against folks who might not be very good, but happen to have ALL THE CARDS EVER.

Given that this is a collectible card game with a constantly expanding card collection, I'm not sure what else one could really expect Blizzard to do in an effort to give new folks a decent experience with the game, and this is on top of the fact that it's really very generous IMO with free card packs for doing all sorts of things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:51 
Excellent Member

Blizzard would make a load of money anyway with all the newer players that needed to catch up. My opinion is that it would be much better without single player adventure, or at least if we had the option to craft those cards. Since these adventure take maybe 1 hour to complete, we're basically paying 20€ for a bunch of cards.

Anyway, it's still loads of fun even if not paying anything, but like i said, in that case focusing on arena is the obvious choice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:27 
8-Bit Champion

Some Arena changes : http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20271286/

I agree with their first point that in the Arena not all classes are equal , and i think removing Cthun minions is a good step (far too random to get them and Cthun in a draw) but after saying how 'underpowered' some of the other classes are they then ban / remove some of their best minions and spells ?

Removing Windspeaker or Dust Devil from Shaman for example

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:46 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm not a big arena player at all so this will make little difference to me, I do however watch all Trump's arena videos on his YouTube channel and he refers to arena as 'Curvestone' which is exactly what it sounds like, just look to get the best stats on the board for the mana cost, on curve, from a 1/2-drop upwards. Yes he'll go for synergies where possible but it's entirely possible to lose an arena game by the end of Turn 3 or 4 with bad draw or a deck that lacks a good chance of getting a solid curve.

I mostly play tempo decks in Standard now, I'll still have the odd game with ANYFIN or FREEZE MAGE in Wild, but pretty much all my Standard mode decks are tempo, which is just a variation on curve really.

It'll be interesting to see what players such as Trump and Kripp have to say about these arena changes.

On a wider note the Karazhan expansion was possibly the weakest adventure yet I think, in terms of a story and characters and generating laughs (I found the Naxx expansion genuinely LOL-worthy on more than one occasion), when it launched I had just over 7000 gold, by the time all four wings had opened I still had the best part of 6000 gold, which is just down to keeping on top of daily quests. It has introduced some decent new cards though, a few of which are seeing competitive play.

Currently building gold up again for the next pure cards expansion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 
8-Bit Champion

So i missed out on the announcement of the 'starter' pack while i was on holiday - basically for £5 you get 10 standard packs and a guaranteed "class based" legendary card - that should make things slightly easier for newbies to pick up on - however last night they also announced the next set of nerfs and some of them are big

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20303031

The change to charge in particular removes one big thing from warrior decks that could do crazy damage (the wargun + faceless that could do 40+ damage but has been in there forever)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 16:06 
Hello Hello Hello

I wouldn't take issue with any of these nerfs TBH, some of them really needed doing as well, like Tuskarr Totemic which can basically win the game in some situations if it pulls a Totem Golem or Mana Tide Totem (or even Flametongue sometimes).

Yogg was highly entertaining but his ability to win a game from an otherwise lost position was too consistent in certain decks, as once you got past a certain number of spells you could quite reliably get him to clear the board, get a couple of secrets up, and draw some cards.

Almost like a Deathwing but without discarding your hand (admittedly Deathwing left a big body on the board).

The others all seem reasonable too, Execute at 2 mana hurts those insanely aggressive Warrior decks that use them as massively cheap removal to get rid of anything that stands in their way, but for a slower control Warrior it won't really matter.

Basically, decent changes IMO. Trump and Kripp seem to think so too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:25 
Hello Hello Hello

HEARTHSTONE GAMBLING:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -entry-fee

Fundamentally I guess it isn't really that different to the current Arena format, but a £10/1000 gold entry fee, really?

Break-even is 6-7 wins by all accounts, and at 12 wins you're properly quids-in. I'll give it a miss though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:52 
8-Bit Champion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 13:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Blimey that's a bit quick after the last expansion.

A more cynical man than me might suggest that they're going to try and ramp up the speed with which they release expansions to make it harder for people to just keep freeloading the game from now on with gold (like I'm trying to :D), which would tie in conveniently with the undoubtedly more troublesome daily quests they've recently put into the game.

See how it pans out I guess, at least they're trying some new ideas with this expansion, and as long as it can still all be done with gold that'd be OK.

I'm not going to feel guilty about trying to get a Hearthstone free ride from now on, I've sunk around £160 into the game in total, and Blizzard are getting £30 per month off me for three WoW subscriptions anyway, plus my Hearthstone play is much less than it used to be - I'm quite routinely waiting until I've got three daily quests stacked up now, so I can knock them down efficiently as a batch.

Anyway, there's only so much leisure time in the day, and with WoW running full bore again, along with a fruit machine emulator release having recently happened, Hearthstone is in third place games wise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 22:28 
Hello Hello Hello

This is a bit of a spicy meatball. The new Tavern Brawl format has landed.

I know that on paper it's merely an extension of the existing Tavern Brawl model, and maybe it's just me, but it really does feel rather like a gambling proposition.

NO SALE.

Attachment:
spicy.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Decent video from Kripp here talking about the new player experience, and specifically how bad it is.

I agree with him, I'd honestly be hard pushed to recommend the game to anyone at the moment because the bar to entry is so ferociously high, and having to explain all the different expansions and how they feed into card collections is very awkward, then you have the separation between Standard and Wild. For a new player to hit the ground running with a competitive card collection, and the chance to play a selection of decent meta decks, the investment required would be, what, something like £100-£150 or so? And divided up across several expansions too.

I'm still keeping up with my daily quests (although I often let two or three of them stack, so I'm not necessarily playing the game every day). As such I spend all my time down at the lower ranks, and the frequency with which you come up against really strong meta decks, even at Ranks 20-15, must be incredibly dispiriting for new players. (It's fine for me as my collection is effectively 'complete' (I'm constantly sat on a pile of gold and dust, there are literally no cards I feel like I'm missing.))

I think Blizz need to implement a 'WoW-style' system, whereby a reasonable single one-off purchase basically gets you the entire game up to and including the previous expansion, and then you pay full price for the current expansion. So in the case of Hearthstone there'd be a single purchase of £29.99 or so, which gets you maybe all commons, rares and epics, and something like twenty random legendaries, from everything up to and including One Night In Karazhan (in the case of adventures you get all the adventures), and then you pay the normal price for Gadgetzan packs.

Even with older expansions rotating out of Standard, the bar to entry for new players is still far too high IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:04 
8-Bit Champion

If you have not done it yet have a try of this weeks Tavern Brawl - a very interesting Diablo themed mission - winning is only part of the puzzle you need to pop their 3 secrets (with all the anti secret cards removed from your deck)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Isn't there no pack this week though? I had a look at the reward and it was just a card back, which I don't care about. (I'm still using the original vanilla card back!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 13:26 
Sleepyhead

interesting that it is apparently harder than ever for new players, just as they have started really pushing it in commercials on regular telly (unless they have done that for ages and I'm only just noticing).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 13:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Well I guess only Blizzard have the numbers. Maybe new players come along, get absolutely hammered a few times, and instead of packing up their bags and leaving, spend MEGA MONEY on packs and adventures, and Blizzard are laughing all the way to the bank.

If it's working out for them commercially, I suppose they won't see any reason to change the model. (Even though you could argue it's rather short-sighted.)

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 72  Next