Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread (title changed ... again!)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 19:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

Rank 15, woop woop!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 21:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Well done :)

I peaked at Rank 18 Three Star and now down to Rank 18 Zero Star after going up and down a bit all evening, but never quite crested over into Rank 17.

Been playing for two hours and can't say I've particularly enjoyed much of it - may be reaching the point with this game now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 21:57 
Sleepyhead

I understand why Priests get some hate.

Wheel out the 1/3, buff it to 1/5 and then 5/5, to attack in your second turn. Then do so again next turn.

2 5/5s out in three turns? How do you defend that? Especially when any healing then draws them 2 more cards!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 22:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I understand why Priests get some hate.

Wheel out the 1/3, buff it to 1/5 and then 5/5, to attack in your second turn. Then do so again next turn.

2 5/5s out in three turns? How do you defend that? Especially when any healing then draws them 2 more cards!

There's no guarantee they'll get the cards for that of course, so it's very much a gimmick move dependent on good luck, but yeah if they get the cards to play it then you're basically fucked.

It's the RNG side of this game that I think might turn me against it, I don't mind losing in and of itself, but in this genre you have to accept that you're going to lose at least some of the time even if you play perfectly just because you got unlucky.

It's like the people who chuck out that mad bomber thing early game which really is a total punt, and it deals the absolute perfect 3 damage for them and basically fucks you before you've even got chance to start.

I do appreciate that the best players will consistently win more than they lose, and I can appreciate their skill and patience, but I'm getting to the point now where I'm wondering if it's the genre for me.

I certainly don't feel inclined to spend any money on buying packs of cards, because a bad RNG game will fuck you over if you've spent precisely fuck all or a million pounds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Rank 14 :D Slowly getting there.

AE, why don't you give the mage deck i'm running with a go? I know you want to do it all yourself, but getting to a know a good deck is just as much fun I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 
Sleepyhead

Entered the arena as a Warlock, though it have me precious few decent cards.

Started off winning the first game easily, then the second I was about 26-4 up on a rogue, but then I ran out of steam and he pulled out three massive cards with taunt, and I was doomed.

Then the whole game wouldn't work for about half an hour so I went to bed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 20:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ooooh, Rank 12! Can I make it to single figures?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Had a reasonable Arena run last night 5/3 which I'm happy with, as long as I get at least 3/3 I don't really mind.

I put together a very ropey Rogue deck for it though, and without realising because I was studying the cards so hard (lots of which I'd never used before, plus I'm not that familiar with a Rogue), I ended up missing the mana curve completely and it was only when I was finishing the deck off that I realised I'd weighted it massively into 2s with a fair few 3s and 1s and a couple of zeros, petering off massively up the card values.

What this did give me of course is a very lively early game that tended to run out of steam a bit, but I had built a reasonable amount of draw into it too.

Two of the victories in particular were against a Mage and a Priest, neither of whom seemed to have much going on with low card values to counter my early game, and pretty much got trampled.

Arena does feel like a bit of a punt though, because you can't guarantee being offered a certain card at any point, and then there are the choices where you want 2 of the 3 or even all 3 and have to make a judgement call, and then you have no idea who you'll be put up against either.

That said I think on balance I'm starting to prefer it to Constructed, as every Arena run and every game is different, unlike Constructed where you tend to see the same patterns again and again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:

You still running with Trump's mage deck? Rank 12 is good going!

I might give it a go myself after the current season has finished (it's only got 4 or 5 more days to go I think?).

Since I'm finding a bit more love for Arena now, a solid Constructed presence will be good for earning gold to buy Arena entries with.

Still only spent £1.99 on the game and was just to get the guaranteed legendary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Trooper wrote:

You still running with Trump's mage deck? Rank 12 is good going!

Kinda, I got bored watching the Trump videos after about 2, so have no idea what he ended up with :D
My deck is the basic free mage starting deck, with my own modifications.

edit... I'll post it, hold on. It's very similar to the last time I posted it though...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/40761-mage

mage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

Bloody Mages, I dislike them most when playing as a Priest. Polymorphing and Fireballing all of my good shit.

In some games I flip the priest power to deal two damage - particularly good against a Shaman as it basically one-shots every totem every time. I might consider running two of those cards to get the power up to 3 damage and see how that works out.

Arena is fun. You never know what the other play might have. Did the mage you're playing even pull a flamestrike? Maybe not, but then maybe they have four of them. Exciting! Constructed is a bit of a battle of the grind and very much luck of your draw.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:45 
Excellent Member

Been feeling a bit bored with the game over the past couple of days, have hardly played (and when I have it's been in a pretty half-hearted way which means that I've played badly). Just uninstalled it - might re-install sometime when I'm more in the mood again, but it could be a while.

Also, so very tired of the lack of variety in the decks that I play against - they are so samey. Blizzard really need to do something to encourage more variety in what people play.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 14:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

In fairness to the dev, what are they supposed to do? After playing 200 hours of Skyrim it occurred to me it was getting a bit samey. Another dungeon, another dissatisfactorily-easy boss fight, but then if you grind the same (albeit great) game for long enough, why would you expect it to keep you consistently entertained?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 14:19 
Excellent Member

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
In fairness to the dev, what are they supposed to do? After playing 200 hours of Skyrim it occurred to me it was getting a bit samey. Another dungeon, another dissatisfactorily-easy boss fight, but then if you grind the same (albeit great) game for long enough, why would you expect it to keep you consistently entertained?

Why not?

I played World of Tanks for more than two years as there was a lot of choice in tanks, upgrades, maps, player variety, etc, etc, etc. Hearthstone just seems to be lacking in terms of variety, part of the problem being the limited amount of available cards and heroes to play them with. At the moment it seems like a game with a very limited lifespan, but hopefully they'll add a lot to it in the next few months.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 14:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

I played an interesting Hunter deck that I hadn't seen before last night. He had the weapon that gains durability based on secrets getting exposed, and loads of secrets in his deck. When I worked out what he was doing I had already used my weapon destruction card :facepalm:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 16:17 
Hello Hello Hello

I think the thing with Blizzard games is you're always going to get the min/max brigade who will take apart the mechanics of the game to constantly come up with the 'best' way to do things. Unfortunately however much time and energy Blizzard put into balancing things out, there are far more people out in the wide world with far more time and energy between them to try and break whatever Blizzard do.

It was a battle they fought for years with WoW and arguably never really got on top of it, but they did get a lot better at it over time.

There was a point in Wrath whereby if you were a paladin then you were a tank healer for your guild, end of (whatever it was that you might have actually liked to do), because some inventive sparks managed to pretty much break a couple of game mechanics with a build no one at Blizzard had even dreamed of - it did get nerfed out but of course they can't do it overnight because they have to work through how it impacts on everything else. (As memory serves you stacked a ridiculous amount of crit gear and with just the right balance of other stats and incredibly specific hybrid talent build, you could effectively chain-cast big single target tank heals ad infinitum - and Blizzard were like 'Fucking hell guys, how do you come up with this shit?')

So it's early days for Hearthstone and I'm sure they're working on it constantly and will continue to do so, but I suspect that Constructed is always going to be the realm of the min/max brigade, especially once you get up into the higher ranks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 20:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Arena run from hell - went down 1/3 with a stunningly horrible pally deck I managed to discharge from my oozing arsehole.

Conceded the final one before it was officially over, such was my frustration with the shitty concoction I'd managed to conjure up from the bowels of card purgatory.

What are you supposed to do on Arena when you don't really know any of the classes on offer at all well, and then you get offered a load of cards you have no idea about either?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 21:01 
Sleepyhead

Arena value dot com, or whatever it is called.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 21:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Arena value dot com, or whatever it is called.

Oops yeah that has already been mentioned :belm:

Thing is you then have to assume that loads of others folks are running with that so you have to as well, so it comes back down to the whole min/max thing again.

One point I will make is that the MORE I play this game the LESS I feel inclined to spend any actual money on it.

Yeah I could spunk £35 on 40 packs of card and wank myself silly over the legendaries that I'd probably get, but there's still a huge amount of basic stuff I still don't know about the game, even in Constructed, let alone Arena (where money can't help you anyway).

I'm pretty shit at the game and even I can see, time and time again, players dropping legendaries down just because they've got them, with no real clue as to when and why they should actually be played. The legendary I got for spending money during the beta I very quickly took out of my Constructed deck because he's too RNG-ey and dangerous.

The game pisses me off far too much sometimes though, I need to stop getting so emotionally involved with what's going on. Mrs AE even noticed a dip in my overall mood the other night and asked me if anything was wrong, and I had to confess I was getting cross with an online collectible card game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 18:09 
Hello Hello Hello

I don't think there's anything more satisfying in this game than slapping down a fucking priest (sorry EBG I know you dig yours and all that).

Just had a great game against one in Ranked (me as a druid) where he was playing all the standard issue priest gimmick cards and in all fairness I was getting what I needed in my hand to destroy them before he had chance to do anything with them, or do all that multiple buffing shit that they do. (I've built my druid deck to be fairly versatile but probably more control orientated I'd say, although it can't cope too well with a straight rush deck.)

Anyway, game was pretty nip and tuck as I was spending most of my efforts not let him pull any of that ridiculous shit that priests can do, going all out to kill that card draw minion, and so on. Then on Turn 9 I played the Ironbark Protector (an 8/8 with taunt), wondering if I could goad him into mind controlling it as it would be his Turn 10 immediately after so mind control becomes an option for him, with it being a 10 mana card.

Sure enough he did, so on my turn I did a Faceless Manipulator on it to get a copy of it back for myself, and then Big Game Huntered his :D (I wouldn't have played the Ironbark at all were it not for the fact I was already holding onto the manipulator and hunter.)

He conceded on his next turn, despite having 17 health left. Presumably he had no cheapass fucking gimmicks left in the tank.

I've lost count of the number of times the Faceless Manipulator + Big Game Hunter combo has paid off for me, they're present in all my decks but are particularly valuable for classes that don't have something like polymorph or assassinate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 19:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Time for a celebratory wank into my favourite wanking sock I think.

Quite liking my druid at the moment.

Attachment:
wank.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 23:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

Haha, well done. I've just dropped back to 14. Ironically my deck seems weakest against other Priests and their 'cheapass gimmick cards'.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:02 
Sleepyhead

Huh. Just won 5 games out of 5 this morning with my Shaman, moving me from L20 to L17.

Now I have enough gold for a pop at the arena. I like how this is structured so far as F2P. You can easily throw money at it if you want, but I'm not doing so and am perfectly content to earn good to throw at arena runs. There are definitely some crafted cards I would like, but I am willing to wait and earn them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 
Sleepyhead

Sweet! My arena choices were way better than normal. I've never had more than one purple card before, but I got two and a legendary and a few rare ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 15:28 
Sleepyhead

Lost to a Druid who used spells to directly target and destroy a minion of mine, despite having another minion with taunt. I thought that wasn't allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 15:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

Taunt only works for melee attacks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 17:57 
Hello Hello Hello

I got to Rank 16 last night and then had a run from hell and finished up back at Rank 18. (Think it was 18 anyway, I'll have to log in and check.)

I also had a pathetic emo rage moment of madness in Arena, after losing the first game badly with a truly disastrous Warrior deck I'd put together.

Upon being put up against a mage in the second game he played one of those annoying spell type cards which I couldn't immediately kill so I conceded before I even played my first turn :belm:

Then I was so cross with myself I conceded the third game before either of us had even played a single card.

So that was an amazing 0/3 finish.

WAY TO GO CHOPLEY YOU IDIOTIC FUCKING CRETIN.

I have now set myself a solemn target to never concede a game ever again and always see them out to the finish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 17:58 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
Lost to a Druid who used spells to directly target and destroy a minion of mine, despite having another minion with taunt. I thought that wasn't allowed.

That's perfectly legit - a Taunted minion only has to be attacked by other minions and heroes with a weapon (ie physical contact), while spells and the Mage's Fireblast (for example) can ignore the Taunt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 18:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Now I have enough gold for a pop at the arena. I like how this is structured so far as F2P. You can easily throw money at it if you want, but I'm not doing so and am perfectly content to earn good to throw at arena runs. There are definitely some crafted cards I would like, but I am willing to wait and earn them.

Yeah Blizzard really have shown how to do F2P properly and, for want of a better word, 'ethically'.

There's nothing in the game that isn't accessible through normal play, I wouldn't even describe it as requiring grinding really.

Generally speaking you can afford a free Arena entry every day or every other day by not doing much more than the daily quests and a few normal games, and that then feeds into a reasonable collection of cards with enough stuff available to disenchant into dust for the cards you want.

Yes you could short-circuit the whole thing with cash but even a complete card collection in no way whatsoever guarantees victory (if anything I'd say I've seen as many players lose games with legendaries being misplayed as I've seen them be won), so there's no sense of pay to win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 18:04 
Sleepyhead

Fair enough. I'm sure it had stopped me doing that before, but evidently not.

Even so, got a positive rating for the first time 4-3, and was lots of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 18:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Bloody hell a queue to get into battle.net - let alone a game!

Attachment:
feckers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 18:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Only eight hours to wait! :blown:

Oh hang on it's just gone up to 544 minutes since I took the screenshot...

Ahhh right 574 now....

I DEMAND PRIORITY above all the freeloading Hearthstone playing poggers, considering how much money I've binned on WoW over the years (not just the subs but fuck knows how many realm transfers and faction switches).

688 minutes and still going up.....

Attachment:
hmmmm2.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 23:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

Errr do you want your email public?

I appear to be logged in and just played a game no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 19:59 
Hello Hello Hello

So I just used that Arena Value site to put together my arena deck, I got TWENTY FUCKING CARDS IN before I realised I hadn't been clicking on the little next button so it picked twenty cards for me as if I was picking the first one for my deck.

I did think to myself 'It's making some curious choices here but the computer knows best....'

I tried to salvage the deck as best as I could but I think we can guess how this arena run will end up. (I just lost the first game although somehow I managed to take my opponent down to two health.)

This is what you get for cheating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 20:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Christ I actually won one with this abomination of a deck, I can only assume that my opponent assumed I was on crack and figured he was safe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 21:00 
Sleepyhead

There's a site with spreadsheets that are arena specific for each class.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 0:11 
Legendary Boogeyman

New ranking season I see. I started at 20, 1 star, and after a faltering start I'm back to 18.2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 17:52 
Hello Hello Hello

I had a hellish run last night, after my Arena disaster I then lost seven on the trot with my warlock and druid, didn't seem to matter which I played I was shit with both.

I am therefore going to TURN TO THE DARK SIDE and make myself a Trump mage deck and try to dirtily cheat my way up the rankings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 18:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Can't login at the moment, which is a tad annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 18:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Indeed.

STUPID GAME.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 19:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

You can log into the American server no problem. I just did that and got my newbie mage again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 19:44 
Hello Hello Hello

STUPID EUROPE.

Where's Farage when you need him? He'd sort the fuckers out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 19:52 
Sleepyhead

STUPID EUROPE.

Making a tit of himself on national telly, by all accounts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 20:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:

We need to get him to crash his plane again, but this time INTO EUROPE.

Anyway, EU servers appear to be back up again now so HURRAH FOR THE UNION and stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:42 
Isn't that lovely?

Curiosity wrote:
STUPID EUROPE.

Not according to the press :(

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 19:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Well I'm now running with pretty much the final iteration of Trump's F2P mage deck and I'm certainly not winning every game, so there is very much a skill to playing the deck as well as just having the deck.

Having played a few games with it though I really can appreciate its versatility, when my own decks worked amazingly well (games where they worked as I imagined them being capable of, with the synergies I was after occurring), they were pretty much unstoppable, but the flip side of that was they often left me floundering in a world of pain with no suitable cards to counter what was going on.

Trump's deck is far more adept at adapting to the ebb and flow of any single game, to the extent that I WANT to see them down to the wire, rather than just conceding once I realise the game is fucked which happened far too often with my own decks.

(I've also kept to the resolution I made a few days ago to never concede a game again, even though I very much want to sometimes.)

TOTAL SPENT ON THIS GAME SO FAR - £1.99

HOURS PLAYED - Loads. And loads.......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Nearly hit Rank 15 last night with the Trump deck and then got three hunters on the trot all basically playing exactly the same decks in the same ways.

There's that thing going on with the Scavenging Hyena (think it's that) which draws them a card every time they draw a beast, then they play Summon The Hounds which gets them a 1/1 with charge for every minion you have on the board, then they can play that cheap wolf card thingy which gives all beasts +2 attack, so all of a sudden they've got a screenful of 2 attacks with charge.

You have to treat hunters like a mage post turn 7 with the expectation of a Flamestrike, except hunters can pull their shit off a lot more cheaply.

That's just one example, they've got loads of cheap beast cards that synergise in incredibly powerful ways - hard to deal with IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, I hate Hunters. If you try to counter that by having fewer minions, they have nice cards to take them down in one go or make them feeble.

But all classes are 'cheap' in their own way, and Mages are just as bad as the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Yeah, I hate Hunters. If you try to counter that by having fewer minions, they have nice cards to take them down in one go or make them feeble.

Yeah that's the problem, if you get a couple of big cards out instead, they've got Hunter's Mark which changes a minion's health to 1, and Deadly Shot which is basically their assassinate, and so on.

Very tough gig to beat a good hunter deck played well IMO.

Quote:
But all classes are 'cheap' in their own way, and Mages are just as bad as the rest.

True enough although if you look at the Trump deck he's kept it very gimmick free, just a lot of solid minions and direct attack spells in the main, no real element of trickery in there. Flamestrike is 'cheap' I suppose but it's impossible to play it before Turn 7 (or Turn 6 if you have the coin) so pretty easy to work around in the main.

Oh yes and another thing I hate, fucking secrets, I appreciate you can guess what it might be and how to avoid the worst effects of it, but by definition it's a secret so it might not be the one you're thinking it is, so your coping strategy may be wrong.

Never felt even remotely inclined to play with one in any of my decks.

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 72  Next