Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone Open Beta thread (title changed)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 13:07 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm currently having fun just unlocking all the basic decks in Casual mode, nice and stress free and gives you sight of all the other classes as well, which helps understand the mechanics of all the different opponents.

Plus it doesn't involve quite so much in the way of being battered senseless by Trooper, which is also nice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 13:08 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Clearly, I must play Trooper. .

Facebook says he's going to London on a date, so you'll have to wait until later for your summary execution :D

I'd be interested to see how you two got on in a match, 'cause he absolutely took me to pieces - twice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 13:13 
Legendary Boogeyman

Perhaps I'll fire up Bandicam for the fun of recording it :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 13:15 
Hello Hello Hello

That's a feature that they really need to add in, the ability to spectate other matches (with the participants' agreement) and also to record and replay, and ideally share, your own matches as well.

The entire game file would only run to a few kilobytes I'd have thought, and the client could replay the whole thing with no load whatsoever on the servers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 15:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

I should be online around early evening for a game or two :)

I've concentrated on three decks to learn properly for constructed, mage, warrior and rogue. But in the arena I typically choose a class I don't know at all well, as that makes for fun games!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 15:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I'm currently having fun just unlocking all the basic decks in Casual mode, nice and stress free and gives you sight of all the other classes as well, which helps understand the mechanics of all the different opponents.

Plus it doesn't involve quite so much in the way of being battered senseless by Trooper, which is also nice.

You only really learn by losing I find. I've certainly done enough of that!

I'm just disappointed that I didn't choose the rogue for the second match, to really hammer home the humiliation ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 15:56 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:

That's a feature that they really need to add in, the ability to spectate other matches (with the participants' agreement) and also to record and replay, and ideally share, your own matches as well.

The entire game file would only run to a few kilobytes I'd have thought, and the client could replay the whole thing with no load whatsoever on the servers.

There's already a program to record and replay your games:

http://www.hearthlog.com/

I've tried it - works just fine although due to the way it works the framerate (on my average PC) is affected a little so animations and movement are very slightly choppy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 15:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I'm just disappointed that I didn't choose the rogue for the second match, to really hammer home the humiliation ;)

/defriends Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 16:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthlog looks interesting, I'll give that a go tonight and post up links to the games, good and bad :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 17:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

Well, I that was annoying. About to win a match and move up to rank 17... Client crashes and won't restart.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 18:49 
Legendary Boogeyman

Bandicam recording of mine and Trooper's best of 3 will come in a bit.

I'm not sure if my gibbering commentary will have picked up as well, otherwise you're in for a fascinating 45 minutes of mute play ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 18:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think it is fair to say that EBG and I are pretty evenly matched :D

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
We both brought our best deck and a 3 round battle commenced. First blood to Trooper. Second match to EBG. Final match... We both ran out of cards and I lost due to fatiguing out first :DD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 18:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Hearthlog looks interesting, I'll give that a go tonight and post up links to the games, good and bad :D

No OSX client, shame.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 18:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

Sadly no gibbering from me, mic wasn't enabled. Rest of the sound is good though but damn, that last game was LONG :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 19:01 
Sleepyhead

I'm still only doing practice matches, but am having the most luck with a Hunter and lots of beasts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 19:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

The saddest part of my mic not working is that you can't hear me call Trooper a 'piece of shit' on a few occasions. In the friendliest way ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 19:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

Rank 17! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 19:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
I'm still only doing practice matches, but am having the most luck with a Hunter and lots of beasts.

I just jumped straight into ranked matches, you get more XP that way and still unlock all the same cards. Even if you lose you still get XP, and you can't lose ranks stars below rank 20.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 19:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

Oooh, I just got 300 gold for winning 100 matches. Looking online I see there is also a gold reward for beating each expert AI mode.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hearths ... -quests-in

I expect Blizzard will put a lot more of these sort of achievement progress lists in the game client at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 19:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I just jumped straight into ranked matches, you get more XP that way and still unlock all the same cards. Even if you lose you still get XP, and you can't lose ranks stars below rank 20.

I think Casual and Ranked award the same XP, as long as you're playing real people instead of the AI. (i.e. Don't bother with Practice mode at all except to unlock all the classes.)

Either way you should always at least play Casual instead of against the AI (Practice) as you'll be up against real people with real decks, and you may as well play Ranked until you hit Rank 20 as you can only climb and not fall on the rankings until 20.

Once you get to Rank 20 you might want to be a bit more careful as you can lose stars and rankings as well as gain them, so don't dive straight into Ranked with an untried deck for example, give it a few games in Casual first.

Also don't play Trooper, unless you enjoy the experience of being hung, drawn, quartered, and then having your bloody remains pissed on.

And then set on fire.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 19:47 
Sleepyhead

Cool. Will play ranked from now on, though usually I'm playing while doing other things at the same time, so need to play against AI at those times.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 20:25 
Hello Hello Hello

And now I'm back down to Rank 20 with zero stars after three losses on the trot.

I'm running with a warlock and not doing a rush/aggro deck which is I think what you're supposed to do with them, plus it's very much a deck of my own construction and therefore probably shit.

I don't want to have to feel like I need to copy decks that are already out there to be competitive, but I've lost track of the number of clone hunters I've come across now, all pulling the same shit every game.

EDIT - Fucking fuck it, I can't drop any lower now so I may as well carry on working with this warlock, literally nothing to lose rankings wise now.

EDIT - I'm going to emo rage quit for the evening instead and watch a film, such is my irritation. Event Horizon on Netflix, that's the sort of mood I'm in. Stupid game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 20:29 
Legendary Boogeyman

I hit up all the really easy gold quests early on. I don't think I have many more to get apart from the 1000 wins for 300 gold, and the various rewards for getting things like all Murlochs.

Total wins: 251.

Total levels: 195.

I think my Priest is level 38, which is my highest char.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 20:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

I agree that copying decks seems like cheating to me. What I did was start with the agreed best basic deck, and then modified it based on the cards I had unlocked and thought I wanted in the deck. So starting off "cheating" but quickly moved away from the standard deck.

There are some cards that are just better than others though, the azure drake for example. A 4/4 card for 5 mana, with +1 spell and card draw? It's pretty much a no brainer to have that in your deck. Or the harvest golem, 3 mana for a 2/3 and a 2/1? It's a fantastic 2nd round card when used with the coin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 20:44 
Gogmagog

Wouldn't there be a specific weakness in tje "best decks" that can be planned for? So if you fight a rogue, you'll know he is most likely to do x and can set up accordingly?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 20:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
Wouldn't there be a specific weakness in tje "best decks" that can be planned for? So if you fight a rogue, you'll know he is most likely to do x and can set up accordingly?

Aye, that's the difference between a good player and a great player I think. Knowing what your opponent is likely to have based on their class, the cards you see them play and the time they play them.

However, when you play ranked, you don't know who you are up against until the game starts. So planning for a rogue deck by having lots of anti weapon cards is great, but if you get drawn against a Mage, you are fucked :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 23:44 
Sleepyhead

Won all of my ranked matches so far. Five out of five, mofos!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 
Hello Hello Hello

If you sail past me to Rank 19 or better I'm officially setting fire to my card collection and retiring to the tawdry wastelands of wanking myself off over BF4 running at 60FPS.

I won't play it mind, just fondle myself as I move all the settings up to ULTRA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm definitely a lot better at this game than I used to be. When I first started it took me little while to open up the initial decks as I lost a few times to basic AI.
Last night I breezed through all the expert AI fights to get the 100 gold, and none of them were even slightly close.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:27 
Sleepyhead

Won 6 out of 7 in ranked mode, and the one I lost was close. I've not done any of the enchanting lark yet; just using my basic cards. Deck still needs tweaking (needs more beasts) but it's fun.

Still seems a bit like Diet MtG though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:

Still seems a bit like Diet MtG though.

It's very much that, I'd use the term "streamlined" though.
I wonder how long until the ipad client is released...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 13:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

My Mage deck, if anyone wants to see :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 13:18 
Excellent Member

Looks okay, but I'd ditch both Blizzard and Archmage Antonidas - Blizzard is pretty weak for the cost, replace it with Arcane Explosion which is just as good if you also have the Azure Drake or the Dalaran Mage on the board. I'd also ditch the Arcane Missiles and replace with another Arcane Explosion.

Archmage Antonidas is good but is too situational - he's great when he works (ie when you have some spells in hand) but if you have another good Legendary like Ysera pop her in instead. If not I'd replace him with another Ogre.

Just my opinion of course. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 13:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Good thoughts there.

Makes sense on Blizzard, even if I don't have a +1 spell in the board, then a twin arcane is almost equivalent and costs less mana. The freeze of blizzard has helped a couple of times, but it's expensive so doesn't synergise well with the draw on spell cards in the deck.

Arcane missiles are a great starter card, plus a good control card. I certainly wouldn't consider Arcane Explosion a better option to be honest :)

Archmage Antonidas is my only legendary (apart from Gruul, who is even more situational) and has the chance of being a game changer, plus it gives my deck some much needed end game firepower. I'd say it was 50/50 with the Ogre.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 15:00 
Excellent Member

Just did 12-1 on the Arena for the first time, winning almost 500g in the process. After this i think i'm burned out with the game, but i'm sure i'll be back tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 15:04 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:

Well, i'm not going to suggest this or that card because i suspect you've got a reduced card pool, but i would ditch the Archmage and the Dalaran Mage. They're both awful.

And for anyone who's thinking about crafting commons, having 2 copies of Harvest Golem, Ironbeak owl and Chillwind yeti is always good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 15:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

RuySan wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Well, i'm not going to suggest this or that card because i suspect you've got a reduced card pool, but i would ditch the Archmage and the Dalaran Mage. They're both awful.

And for anyone who's thinking about crafting commons, having 2 copies of Harvest Golem, Ironbeak owl and Chillwind yeti is always good.

Suggesting cards is good! I do have a reduced set, but it's good to know what to work towards, so I know what to look to craft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 16:12 
Legendary Boogeyman

RuySan wrote:
Just did 12-1 on the Arena for the first time, winning almost 500g in the process. After this i think i'm burned out with the game, but i'm sure i'll be back tomorrow. :)

Congrats! But anything else besides gold? Chunky card packs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 16:39 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:

Congrats! But anything else besides gold? Chunky card packs?

No, just a golden rare (commanding shout) and a card pack. I was expecting at least a golden epic, so i was disappointed.

This is the deck i went with, in case anyone is interested:

Besides those cards, the deck also had 2xFlamestrike, Sea Giant and a Pyroblast

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 16:41 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Suggesting cards is good! I do have a reduced set, but it's good to know what to work towards, so I know what to look to craft.

i only play with mage in the arena, so i don't much about constructed with that class, but check the decklists that top tournaments:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/managrind

But like i said, you can't go wrong with Yeti's, Harvest Golems and Owls. I also tend to include the Looter in my decks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 17:04 
Sleepyhead

I have a couple of owls in my deck at present. If I get them early on am I better off saving them in case the opponent has a powerful effect card or just play 'em early as a regular minion? I know it will vary according to battle, but on the whole?

Also, from my free arena visit I had a lovely combo of the owl with my own 'card can only defend' card, which made for a cheap attacker with decent stats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 17:10 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Good thoughts there.

Makes sense on Blizzard, even if I don't have a +1 spell in the board, then a twin arcane is almost equivalent and costs less mana. The freeze of blizzard has helped a couple of times, but it's expensive so doesn't synergise well with the draw on spell cards in the deck.

Arcane missiles are a great starter card, plus a good control card. I certainly wouldn't consider Arcane Explosion a better option to be honest :)

My beef against Arcade Missiles is that they are random. Arcane Explosion, while it has its weaknesses, is much better against the rush decks that we are seeing these days. It's of little use against control decks though. It's always a balancing act - depends what you find yourself playing against the most.

Have you looked at Trump's 'Free Mage Deck' in its first form?

Quote:
Archmage Antonidas is my only legendary (apart from Gruul, who is even more situational) and has the chance of being a game changer, plus it gives my deck some much needed end game firepower. I'd say it was 50/50 with the Ogre.

Hmmm, well do give them both a chance. Maybe play half a dozen games with Antonidas and the same with an Ogre instead. See what happens. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 17:15 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
I have a couple of owls in my deck at present. If I get them early on am I better off saving them in case the opponent has a powerful effect card or just play 'em early as a regular minion? I know it will vary according to battle, but on the whole?

Depends what you're playing against really, but generally speaking hold onto the Ironbeak Owls until mid game or later when the bigger cards make an appearance (such as the various special Taunt cards which also have a shield). Of course if you're up against a rush deck that has a buffing card which you can't immediately destroy (such as a Timber Wolf which is buffing your opponent's other beasts by +1) then your only option might be to silence it with the owl.

Must admit that I don't have an silence minions in my Mage deck - just never found much use for them. Polymorph (and Fireball combos) are often enough. Having said that, silence is very useful against Priest decks and the buffed minions such as Lightspawn.

Note: never silence an opponent's Ancient Watcher - unless you want to give it the ability to attack you. :)

Note 2: Silence is useful if you have a minion of your own that has been frozen - it'll take away the freeze.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 20:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Woohoo finally got to Rank 19! Using EXACTLY THE SAME WARLOCK DECK I couldn't win a damn thing with yesterday.

My card draws were a lot nicer today, and the little synergies I was hoping for came into play, which was nice.

I'll see how it goes but I really, really want to forge my own deck and play my own game, instead of just copying Deck X or Deck Y off the Hearthpwned forums or whatever and following a set of instructions with regards to how to play it.

Obviously I'll never get into the top ranks playing Constructed like this, but if I can feel competitive-ish using a deck of my own conjuring I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 21:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Ahhhh fuck just came up against the cheap warlock cunt deck again. Every fucking card in his deck 1 or 2 mana murlocs and other cheap shit cards, with a couple of Senjins in there for taunt - fuck all else.

Seems to follow a common theme, get that 0/4 1 mana taunt card out first thing, then just swarm the board. I managed to get a Hellfire out to destroy the first wave but he had more and more to come, and of course as a warlock he can keep drawing cards. (Apart from the Senjins he didn't have a card over 2 mana cost.)

TBH I'm surprised I lasted as long as I did, but just couldn't draw enough taunts or my second Hellfire, though they were in my deck somewhere.

Games like that are just depressing, and I wonder who would want to play like that? Copy a deck from Hearthpwned and follow a set of instructions, basically. Yeah you'll most likely win unless you come across a deck designed to counter it - but where's the fun?

Back down to Rank 20 now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 21:20 
Excellent Member

There's nothing wrong with copying a deck, since there's a long way between doing it and managing to win anything. Every card game has it's own archetypes and going rogue it's just a sure way to lose constantly (unless you are a great player and have the time to test the decks extensively). In fact i do think that having archetypes is much better for the game since much of the fun is getting to know the metagame and play and react accordingly.

The deck i use in ranked is my take on the Handlock archetype, adapted for all the rush-heavy meta that we're seeing lately.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 21:27 
Excellent Member

Here's my deck:

The only legendary is Jaraxxus but i could do without him since he barely does anything. But it's my only legendary and it's a fun card so i keep it.

BTW, my tag is RuySan#2293

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 21:35 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
There's nothing wrong with copying a deck, since there's a long way between doing it and managing to win anything. Every card game has it's own archetypes and going rogue it's just a sure way to lose constantly (unless you are a great player and have the time to test the decks extensively). In fact i do think that having archetypes is much better for the game since much of the fun is getting to know the metagame and play and react accordingly.

The deck i use in ranked is my take on the Handlock archetype, adapted for all the rush-heavy meta that we're seeing lately.

But where's the finesse, fun, or challenge in playing the murloc rush deck?

You go warlock because they have the draw potential with life tap, you load your hand with every murloc you can get your hands on (crafted or out of a pack), pad it out with a load of other cheap cards, and stick a couple of standard taunts in there to buy a bit of time.

I appreciate that many decks need a lot of skill to play so copying them alone doesn't guarantee victory, but the warlock rush deck doesn't seem to need much of anything beyond the brains of a monkey to play 'correctly'.

I swear to god as soon as I saw Gul'dan on the intro screen to the match I was like 'Oh for fuck's sake it's a rush game then' and of course it was.....

I'd like to play a warlock differently, to see if the class is viable doing something else, but every fucking time I get a warlock in ranked, he's playing a rush deck, and it's annoying.

This is the first collectible card game I've ever played (either real cards or digital) so maybe my expectations are wrong, but I'm going to avoid copying and tweaking decks for as long as I possibly can. Maybe I'll hit a total brick wall and have to conform to the genre's expectations sooner or later, but I'll plug away at it my way for now. (And moan constantly, probably :D)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 21:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

The thing that is most annoying me tonight? I was 3 star 17, about to go to rank 16, when I came across the hunter and then the warlock rush deck. I have 2 flamestrikes in my deck, I didn't draw a single one in either match...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 22:03 
Excellent Member

Whether the player creates his (or her) own deck or copies (and tweaks) an existing one is up to them of course. If you decide to create your own from scratch then that's great, but unless you have previous CCG game-playing experience or have read a lot of guides and watched a good number of streamers then it'll be a long and perhaps frustrating struggle to create anything that synergises with itself and your own style of gameplay.

I've created my own decks in the past but they were never that good - haven't tried to create one for ages, but have copied others and tweaked them to my own play style.

Just crafted Ragnaros and added him to my control Mage deck (based on Trump's Legendary deck) - Rag has already proved extremely useful after only a dozen games this evening. Out of the half a dozen Legendaries that I have available to me he's easily the best, perhaps even surpassing Ysera.

As for the ladder, I'm currently at rank 14 after not having played for two days (I needed a break).

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 72  Next