Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Titanfall Xbox One / 360 / PC + others ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 0:14 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Well although it says 12gig I'd say its more like 6 or 7 gig you download that then expands out to 12

Quite a long tutorial section taking you through how things work - then I had a few quick games , and the level of polish on this is impressive from the way you arrive on the map to the way things move and look around you and the way the weapons and titans feel.

On the second game I went tearing through a group of enemies (grunts mainly) with a shotgun while cloaked - called my titan in and basically spent the rest of the game in the titan mashing up the enemies it was great !

If you have not tried it just login to origin and its available for download on the 'front page' - no keys required

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 13:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

Had a couple of goes, it was alright. Mashing around in a titan is fun, and obviously it will get a lot better once you know the maps.

It's very much COD Extreme though, it's faster and more twitch based which is great if you are in the mood for that sort of thing :)

It does make me wonder what it going to happen to COD and the like though, on one end you have the slower, bigger and more tactical multiplayer shooter such as BF4. On the other end you have the full on twitch based carnage of something like Titanfall. The middle ground that COD will now sit in seems like it might become a waste ground...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:21 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
Had a couple of goes, it was alright. Mashing around in a titan is fun, and obviously it will get a lot better once you know the maps.

On one of the games I spotted a sniper on top of a big rock outcrop and just could not get near him on foot - however once i got my titan I crushed him.

Trooper wrote:
It's very much COD Extreme though, it's faster and more twitch based which is great if you are in the mood for that sort of thing :)

It very much feels like COD turned up to 11 while on foot and the parkour stuff along with the basic double jump means you can get around the map quickly and can take advantage of vertical structures - however it does seem different once your in the slow moving mech.

I only played the first game mode (which is a TDM derivative) however there is a Domination type game and a few other modes which look interesting.

Trooper wrote:
It does make me wonder what it going to happen to COD and the like though, on one end you have the slower, bigger and more tactical multiplayer shooter such as BF4. On the other end you have the full on twitch based carnage of something like Titanfall. The middle ground that COD will now sit in seems like it might become a waste ground...

Its quite possible and for recent COD's , BLOPS tried a few new items on the story side of things but played it safe with the multiplayer and Ghosts just seems to be nothing special - I guess we'll see what Sledgehammer come out with this year but if its big Mech's and COD future stuff its going to look like they are trying to copy this :-)

I'm disappointed that its not going to be on PS4 at least to begin with but i suppose it gives me an excuse to grab the PC version

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'd probably buy it if it was PS4, just to give it a proper go. I certainly wouldn't buy an Xbone for it though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Titanfall isn't Titan-only then? Is it basically BF2142?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

You spend more time out of a titan than in it, in my experience. But that may be because i'm crap and my titan gets killed very quickly, and I don't have any unlocks yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:34 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Titanfall isn't Titan-only then? Is it basically BF2142?

From watching some gameplay videos last night, you start the match on foot then do enough 'stuff' to be allowed to summon in a titan. Which then seems to get exploded pretty quickly and put you back on foot again as all the runners have anti-titan rocket launcher things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

So yeah, it's BF2142. Which weirdly nobody ever seems to have played.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:43 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:

Cpt Droman loved it.

If a Mac version happens and it doesn't need Origin then I'll give it a whirl. Otherwise I'll wait for the inevitable PS4 sequel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:45 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:

I'd never even heard of it and thought you were making a funny joke initially. I see it was never released for the consoles though which probably didn't help it's penetration. As it were.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:52 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Cras wrote:

I played it on the PC years ago...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 15:55 
Sleepyhead

KovacsC wrote:
Cras wrote:

I played it on the PC years ago...

I played it 128 years in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 15:57 
Bad Girl

Beta ends tomorrow, so I heard. Just so you know, like.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 15:57 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:

I can't believe it's been 71 years since we played BF1943 together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 17:56 
Sleepyhead

British Nervoso wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I can't believe it's been 71 years since we played BF1943 together.

It sure feels like it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 18:27 
8-Bit Champion

£25.99 at CDKEYS for the PC version

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/titanfal ... key-origin

You can also get 5% off for liking them on facebook which takes it down to £24.70 which I'm being tempted with - will see what I feel like when the Beta has closed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 14:30 
UltraMod

Two contrasting viewpoints here from sister sites:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... -titanfall

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/win-me-over-titanfall

The first few paragraphs in the USGamer piece pretty much sums me up. I don't think this'll be the game to rekindle my interest in online shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 16:41 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
The first few paragraphs in the USGamer piece pretty much sums me up. I don't think this'll be the game to rekindle my interest in online shooters.

:this:

shooters have gone wrong in recent years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 22:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:

Objection!

Me and the chaps totally ragged the arse out of it, and it's arguably one of the best Battlefield games ever.

The dynamics between the land/air/mech/titan battles were breathtakingly daring, quite often you could have several different 'games' running at the same time on the same map with the same players, and the trick was to know when to switch your focus between them.

The Titan battles themselves could be stunningly epic and exciting - truly DICE at their most powerful. (Although it was almost comically buggy at launch, but it all got patched up soon enough, and this was back in the days when DLC came along once a year (still called an 'expansion' back then) instead of once every month.)

There was a traditional Conquest Mode in there as well, but Titan Mode was where it was at - truly wonderful stuff.

Not sure Titanfall looks like much of a replacement so far, but we've definitely got our eyes on it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 0:15 
Gogmagog

Heh. You had arseless chaps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:38 
8-Bit Champion

2 million people tried the beta

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/21/543392 ... ta-achieve

Quote:
What did the Titanfall beta achieve?

Titanfall's short beta last weekend and earlier this week was a major collective event in gaming, an opportunity for two million fans to finally get their hands on one of the most anticipated titles of the new console generation.

Few came away from the experience without some solid opinions on the future direction of military shooters, a hyper-popular genre that is, nonetheless, badly in need of some new ideas.

For developer Respawn, the beta was a crucial step in the company's plans to roll out its first game in mid-March, without any of the disastrous issues that have bedevilled so many online gaming launches. Titanfall is being published by Electronic Arts, which badly fluffed the launches of SimCity and Battlefield 4 in the last year.

Other goals included testing suspicions about gameplay mechanics, whether certain weapons or locations worked as well as hoped. And, finally, it was a vast marketing exercise, an old-fashioned demo giveaway, with the added bonus of lots of people playing, and sharing their experiences, at the same time.

Titanfall_-_beta_announce_2

THE TECHNOLOGY

Microsoft is hosting the game's servers for the launch on both Xbox and Windows PC versions. "The most important thing for us on launch day is making sure that Microsoft's Xbox Live compute platform can scale up as high as we need it to," said Jon 'Slothy' Shiring, the engineer in charge of Titanfall's smooth launch. "We had the alpha, but that was fairly small. Alpha proved that the tech works. Beta, the thing we wanted to test was what happens when you scale it really high, see what breaks and then fix that so we don't have to find out on launch day.

"People are expecting the game to have problems, and I want to make sure that it doesn't. I want to do everything I can to make sure that it launches well. The Xbox Live compute platform is all brand new. Forza used it a little bit, but they weren't as reliant on it as we are. The game is completely reliant on it. If it's down, nobody can play."

In fact, the game did break during the beta, for over seven hours, just as the team was testing large numbers of players at the same time.

"It was sort of a human error thing, while they were trying to scale up for our game," said Shiring. "That caused a series of failures where each one was a separate bug that needed to be found and fixed. So it was really stressful, and I know people were disappointed that it didn't work for seven and a half hours straight, but by the end of it we were ready to scale up much higher. That's what we went in expecting. Let's see what breaks, fix it, and then once we get to the concurrency we're looking for, let's push it as far as it'll go and see what breaks on the high end too.

"People need to understand that when you write a whole bunch of new code, there's bugs in it. We have to find those bugs. That was the goal of the beta. We know it's not going to work right. We don't want to find out on launch day. Let's find out now. We found probably 10 real things that we worked on and fixed. That's 10 things we don't have to find on launch day. We still might find some new things on launch day, but at least those ones are not there anymore."

THE DESIGN

The beta wasn't just about testing the technology in readiness for launch. It was also about watching the players; seeking out weaknesses in the game design that might be exploited, to the detriment of the overall experience.

"We're still look for tweaks to certain weapons or other things," said community manager Abbie Heppe. "The designers spent a lot of time watching videos and streams of people playing to try and look and see how they were abusing things or not understanding things." Heppe said that "we had around two million unique users playing during the beta."

She added that core fundamentals of the game would not be altered in the aftermath of the beta. "As far as large scale changes, like ''let's just get rid of the AI,' those aren't things that we're going to be doing. They're an integral part of what Titanfall is, what makes this game."

At this point in the project, very little player behavior surprises the designers. "We went into this knowing, here are potential things that might be broken," said Shiring. "A lot of it is to look and see what people are doing and complaining about, to see which of those hunches were right.

"We're not completely ignorant of what might be a problem in the game, but we don't want to nerf everything just in case. A lot of it is, the way we're doing certain things, is that going to be a problem when it's a lot of people, or is it only a problem when it's a few people playing? So a lot of it is us checking our own data."

THE MARKETING

Playing a game is the best way to judge its merits, and there was no shortage of people logging on to try out Titanfall, especially when the beta fully opened up. This generated a massive outpourings of opinions; not surprising given how much intense interest is devoted to the minutiae of shooting game design.

For Respawn, a company created by the guys who acrimoniously quit Infinity Ward and Call of Duty, winning over their old audience is all-important. Certainly, media reactions to the game's design innovations have been positive, with praise for the use of the great mechs in the game, as well as the player's ability to move along walls, adding to its feel of being something genuinely new and provocative.

But what about players, particularly those with many years playing Call of Duty under their belts? Polygon grabbed a few opinions.

"With CoD, your custom class setup, map knowledge, and twitch skills are required to play well, and how much fun you have feels proportionate to how well you're playing," said Joseph Romo, a financial analyst from Utah, with an estimated 750 hours playing Call of Duty games. "With Titanfall, I never got that feeling. The game is more about crazy moments happening than any score being earned. Wall-runs, double-jumps, rodeos and titanfalls are a rewarding enough spectacle on their own. Even losing doesn't feel so bad when you're given the chance to make a run for extraction."

"While both games are fast, fair, and exciting, Titanfall feels a little more casual," said Chase Parker, a networking student from Kentucky, with over 700 hours playing Call of Duty games. He said he did not care for the AI Grunt enemies. "Don't get me wrong, it is amazingly fun and is a truly great game, but it lacks the thrill of a Call of Duty killstreak or a quick triple kill. The Grunts will always take something away from Titanfall for me. They don't feel like competition, just distractions."

"The titans give great power to the pilot," said Chris Scott from Pennsylvania. "Being in one makes you feel incredibly large. The fact that everyone gets one, no matter how weak a player is, balances the game out. Nothing is worse than playing a CoD match and getting destroyed by a high level killstreak reward. Now even if you suck, you get to play with the big boy toys."

Titanfall_-_beta_announce_3

Adam Condra, a schoolteacher from Alabama, has played every Call of Duty game. "My muscle memory between CoD and Titanfall didn't require any changes, but the pace is totally changed by the momentum," he said. " I play CoD by running routes, going around each map on a set path and engaging targets as I see them, but with Titanfall, I found myself sticking to the outer edges of maps, looking for straight routes I could run through from one side to the other. So, I play CoD like a wheel in circular motion, but I played Titanfall like the spokes of a wheel going from one end to the other; the flow of battle revolves around these straight-lanes, making for a multiplayer game that felt like it was revolving around me"

For Abbie Heppe, Jon Shiring and the rest of the Titanfall team, the beta exercise was a crucial step in getting the game ready. But it came with a price. During the beta, there wasn't much time for real life or sleep.

"I was up making decisions constantly," said Shiring. "I might be lying in bed, unable to sleep, at 5AM. I would look at the graph and see that there were already a whole lot of people in Europe playing, and I might as well just get up and head in and start watching the graphs to make sure it's all going well."

"It's really addicting," said Heppe, who was on the social media front line during the exercise, shuttling information between the team and the players. "You almost don't want to sleep, because you want to constantly monitor and know what's going on. My adrenaline levels, while it was going on, were so high that even if I wanted to sleep, I just couldn't."

Heppe said Titanfall "had around 2 million unique users playing during the beta."

So, does the beta guarantee a problem-free launch? "You never want to say that everything is going to be perfect," said Heppe. "Obviously there are things that can change. But you don't want to say, 'oh, no, there will still be problems,' because you don't want to give people a lack of confidence in what you're doing. I think that this beta was really about giving people confidence that not only will we be communicative with them, but we're actively trying to work out any bugs now."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 14:51 
8-Bit Champion

And a local install of Titanfall on the PC will be a staggering 48GB

And 20GB for an install on the Xbox one

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/438432489653014528

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 
8-Bit Champion

Launch trailer :

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 16:01 
Excellent Member

Quite a good article here about Titanfall's use of the Azure cloud stuff. It's a bit propaganda-y in places but it certainly seems like it's working for them for this specific game. The major downside is an interesting one though: if there isn't an Azure centre geographically near your country then you're screwed because a low ping time to the nearest one becomes critical to the game's functionality, so they aren't even bothering to release the game to affected countries (although South Africa is the only example they mention there). That's presumably a fuck of a lot of lost sales for the sake of improved AI.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 16:19 
8-Bit Champion

If anyone else is going to be playing this on PC I'm Zaphod79 on Origin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 17:05 
8-Bit Champion

Review embargo is lifted although places dont want to give it a 'score' until the game is out and they can see how it performs under load

Giantbomb : http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/this-i ... /1900-630/

IGN : http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/10/t ... ium=social

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 17:10 
UltraMod

zaphod79 wrote:
Review embargo is lifted although places dont want to give it a 'score' until the game is out and they can see how it performs under load

Giantbomb : http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/this-i ... /1900-630/

IGN : http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/10/t ... ium=social

One of the comments reads "without a score I don't know what to think." Try reading the words, dumbass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 17:13 
8-Bit Champion

British Nervoso wrote:
One of the comments reads "without a score I don't know what to think." Try reading the words, dumbass.

:-)

I do appreciate both outlets not just going with what they saw under controlled conditions - however if you want just scored stuff then

Polygon 9/10 : http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/10/546790 ... all-review (and they come right out and say this is from the special Microsoft event that both Giant Bomb and IGN also saw it at but they will 'change it later if required' - i think their 9/10 SimCity review was changed about 4 or 5 times)

EGM 10/10 : http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/ ... itanfall/#

Gamespot 9/10 : http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/titanfa ... 0-6415690/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 17:18 

Eurogamer has also done an unscored "launch review": http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... nch-review

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 17:33 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:
Eurogamer has also done an unscored "launch review": http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... nch-review

I just don't know what to think.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 0:32 
8-Bit Champion

Incredibly slowly preloading at the moment - I may just unlock it when its finished as both Origin and respawn have said they will not take action against people who unlock it early

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1351-ti ... rly-unlock

And the US unlocks tomorrow but Europe is supposed to wait until the 14th !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:03 
UltraMod

Hope you've got 50GB free, zaphod!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... gb-install

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:19 
8-Bit Champion

British Nervoso wrote:

My bootcamp partition is 100gb and my steam stuff sits on an external drive - I've told Origin to use that and its downloaded the 50gb but I've no idea if it will play nice on there or not - will find out tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:20 
UltraMod

35GB of audio, for a multiplayer-only game. Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:22 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

My bootcamp partition is 100gb and my steam stuff sits on an external drive - I've told Origin to use that and its downloaded the 50gb but I've no idea if it will play nice on there or not - will find out tonight.

Soon I'll learn what these words, in this order, actually mean.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:23 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:

Since you went with a PC instead of a 'PC' you'll not need to worry as much about them :-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:25 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:

Seeing as you went with a dirty double-glazed PC and not a lovely clean fruity PC, you won't.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:33 

British Nervoso wrote:

That's insane. It's uncompressed because they couldn't get it to cope the overhead of using mp3 files or something?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:41 
Excellent Member

In case you're interested though BootCamp is an application made by Apple that allows people with Apple machines to run Windows on the same machine. It essentially walls off a section of your hard drive so you've got a certain amount of space for your Apple stuff and another amount for your Windows stuff dependant on what you specify. As your PC is a pure Windows machine you don't need to worry about any of this.

The other part of that post is referring to the fact that zaphod's plugged an external hard drive into his machine to supplement the amount of space he's got on there by default. It's exactly like plugging a huge USB drive into it and the external drive will appear under My Computer as a separate item that files can be copied onto/off of just like with a USB stick. zaphod's then told Origin (which is EAs digital distribution platform so their version of Steam; a way to buy and download games published by EA specifically unlike Steam which covers all publishers/developers) to install games onto the external drive rather than the 'default' internal drive. Some applications are okay with that whereas some of them expect to be installed on the default drive and will complain or act oddly otherwise so it remains to be seen whether Origin will accept this state of affairs or be a dick about it.

UltraMod

markg wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

That's insane. It's uncompressed because they couldn't get it to cope the overhead of using mp3 files or something?

No, it's uncompressed because min spec PCs wouldn't be able to cope with uncompressing on the fly.

Is anyone with a min spec PC actually going to have 50GB free? Seems an odd way of doing things.

Bad Girl

British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Seeing as you went with a dirty double-glazed PC and not a lovely clean fruity PC, you won't.

Will I ever know what this means? What have I done wrong!?

UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Will I ever know what this means? What have I done wrong!?

Blame Bamba.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:42 
Bad Girl

Oh, you mean I didn't get a MAC. Gotcha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:44 
Unpossible!

You'll get a MAC free with your pc. 2 if you have wifi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:45 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
Oh, you mean I didn't get a MAC. Gotcha.

Pretty sure you have MAC or you won't be able to connect to the internet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:47 
Bad Girl

Oh, you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:48 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Seeing as you went with what you actually needed and not something that would've been more complex and expensive, you won't.

Indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:50 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

No, it's uncompressed because min spec PCs wouldn't be able to cope with uncompressing on the fly.

Is anyone with a min spec PC actually going to have 50GB free? Seems an odd way of doing things.

Which is slower: load times for uncompressed assets or load+decompression times for compressed ones.

Not entirely straight forward.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:55 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Seeing as you went with what you actually needed and not something that would've been more complex and expensive, you won't.

Indeed.

He's a hotshot lawyer who earns megabux, and judging by the faff in the hardware thread, it would have been much easier for him to click through three screens on the Apple website like I did. So I disagree! With you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 15:01 
Bad Girl

I think you were all really helpful and put my mind at ease more than blindly weighing up information on competing websites and making my own mind up about something I haven't a clue about.

BeeX is filled with awesome peeps.

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next