Post subject: Re: Metal Gear Solid 4...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:45 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

*orders PlayStation3*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:19 

Dimrill wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Also, I spotted him playing COD4 - has everybody else stopped?
Getting the rare Welsh Beared Tit away from his drums is quite a challenge.
DBSnappa is well acquiented with my love of rhythm games, being the person who's Samba De Amigo maracas I once stole. Also: "rare Welsh Beared Tit" :DD

Sheepeh wrote:
Many's the time he's been too engrossed in his solo rythmic beating to play with me.
Once again :DD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:09 
Excellent Painter

[/quote]
richardgaywood wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Also, I spotted him playing COD4 - has everybody else stopped?
Getting the rare Welsh Beared Tit away from his drums is quite a challenge.
DBSnappa is well acquiented with my love of rhythm games, being the person who's Samba De Amigo maracas I once stole. Also: "rare Welsh Beared Tit" :DD

Yes. What you can't see are the cymbals in his profile picture. He bangs them all day long. I'm also curious as to what a Welsh Bear is, is it a "alrightbearbutt" or a "bearyo" or is it Rupert the Taff? I can't even get my head around the addition of "tit" to the beast. It sounds like something from the PS comp on b3ta

Sheepeh wrote:
Many's the time he's been too engrossed in his solo rythmic beating to play with me.

Oh, you know Kath then :p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:36 
Excellent Member

SA - you are currently encapsulating perfectly all that is wrong with MGS. And I say that as a massive, massive fan of the first one. Keep going, because I'm enjoying reading your thoughts.

I just want to go up to Kojima and shout "I know what you are trying to do, but you really, really are very shit at it." I tried playing the second one and it was missed opportunity after missed opportunity. At the end of the day, the plot just doesn't make sense. In a really, really bad way. You can forgive bad plot if you have good characters, or vice versa, but the actual writing is no better than bad fan fiction.

Is there anywhere that totals the time used in cutscenes in the MGS games? A swift Google shows MGS4 has apparently 10 hours. Or, to put it another way, nearly the entire run of Firefly.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 

MGS3 was a stupendous game, I never felt that the cutscenes were too long nor intrusive in that game. I was hoping that MGS4 would be the same, but from reading sinister agent's thoughts it sounds like it isn't at all similar.

Which sucks. I'm glad I didn't buy a PStriple now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:23 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I want to like it. I really, really do. I can see how easily it could be made into something brilliant, and it makes me seethe to think how badly and deliberately they've screwed it up.

I'll have another crack at it in a couple of days. It might get better in the seventeenth hour (how fucked are Sony, if that's the best thing I can say about the game they'd hoped would singlehandedly win the console war for them?).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 13:09 
PC Gamer

On the other hand, you've been playing it for sixteen hours. So, you know.

I've really enjoyed your posts on this, though. So feel free to keep suffering for the continuing amusement of strangers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 15:43 
Excellent Painter

Rodafowa wrote:

I've really enjoyed your posts on this, though. So feel free to keep suffering for the continuing amusement of strangers.

:this: I'm REALLY looking forward to the end now :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 16:22 
Sleepyhead

Ditto.

Sinister's Diary of MGS4 = a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 16:30 

I agree! Sinister must suffer for our enjoyment!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 16:48 
Excellent Member

I concur. Tell us more about your private gaming hell, matey! It is most compulsive.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 16:53 
EvilTrousers

To add to the general tide of concurrence; I agree. Keep tasting the pain. Thx.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 16:55 
Hibernating Druid

Great read this. Can't believe some of the self indulgent shite that's been shoved in.

Is the multiplayer a redeeming factor?

Still no reason at all to buy a PS3 then eh?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 21:46 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Rodafowa wrote:

But I haven't. I've been playing it for about five hours. The rest of the time I've been scoffing grapes and texting people.

Zardoz wrote:
Is the multiplayer a redeeming factor?

Haven't tried it yet. It's online only, right? I doubt I'll try it, frankly. I've not bothered playing online with any PS3 games, I frankly can't be arsed. I think you have to sign up for a profile or whatever, and I just don't... meh, I don't know whether it'd be particularly hasslesome. I just cannot be arsed.

Quote:
Still no reason at all to buy a PS3 then eh?

Hahahahah! Oh lord, no.

Quote:
I agree! Sinister must suffer for our enjoyment!

Hurrah! Wait, what?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 21:49 
Rude Belittler

/me is about to diss MGS4.

/me realises that if it were announced for 360, he'd preorder it, then sit in a state of excitation till it was officially released

/me decides to keep quiet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 15:59 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I have just watched the most offensively stupid cut scene in videogame history.

Imagine, if you will, that someone you care about is about to b hit by a car. They're slumped between you and said car. You can get to them in time to haul them out of the way. do you:

A) Haul them out of the way

B) Walk past them and hold the moving car back as it accelerates?

And if you think that's a stupid example, it's an enormous understatement.

Imagine, also, that a sinister villain is being villainous and trying to kill milions of people. You have enough firepower to destroy a continent, and he is about maybe eighty yards away (well, the first time this happens he's about eight feet away and has his back to you, but let's not digress). There is absolutely nowhere for him to hide or run to. Do you:

A) Shoot him with one of your six machine guns

B) Throw one of your four deadly grenade types at him

C) Shoot him with one of your four pistols

D) Shoot him with one of your three sniper rifles

E) Shuffle slowly after him (having sustained an injured leg from... er... well, nothing. You just decided your leg was injured, apparently), waving a machine gun but not firing, then, thirty seconds later when he's escaped, fire aimlessly in his general direction to make it look like you were really trying ever so hard to shoot him?

Answers on the back of a ten pound note, please.

It's almost as if it was in the script, and therefore you had to make absolutely sure that you, as the hero, made no attempt whatsoever to stop him. I fucking hate it when hack writers do this, and they do it constantly.

"He must escape - it's in the script."

"But that's stupid. Snake would shoot him. He's the hero and he wants to stop the villain. He would shoot him. There's no reason not to, and every reason to."

"No, he has to escape, or we can't do the next bit."

"So give him a plausible way out that doesn't mean that Snake inexplicably just doesn't bother to do the one thing he wants to do when he has the means and the opportunity. Rewrite the scene so that he has a hostage or sthrows a stun grenade at Snake or something, at least."

"But he has to get away! Snake has to let him get away so that we can do the next bit."

"But Snake wouldn't... gah. What the fuck is wrong with you? How can you write twenty hours of dialogue and story about this man and not have a basic understanding of his motivations and how he would react in a given situation? Fuck - anyone would shoot him. You can't just have someone do something totally stupid and out of character for no reason at all just because it's convenient for the plot. This is an extremely basic principle of fiction!"

"But he has to get away! No, snake doesn't shoot him, or make any sensible attempt to stop him other than mincing about like a tit. Again."

"But WHY?"

"Because he has to get away!"

I get things like this happening in my head when I watch any film or game or programme - I'm constantly finding poor writing and dreadful characterisation and plot holes of the tiniest kind. I can overlook anal, pedantic stuff like dates not matching up or pseudoscience, but story advancement that relies entirely on people acting fucking stupid and breaking character and abandoning their motivations pisses me the fuck off. It's lazy, incompetent and insulting at the best of thimes, but the sheer idiocy on display here makes me want to destroy civilisation before the aliens come and cunts like Kojima make them think we're all a bunch of imbeciles. It's bad enough when it's little things like not seeming to care in the slightest that someone's stabbed you in the back, and then letting them back in without even asking why they did it, let alone shooting them instantly in the navel. But when your protagonist has a perfect, blindingly obvious opportunity to fix everything instantly and just doesn't... graregh.

It's not just me, is it? I can switch off and overlook silly things and enjoy them, but stories that would not exist, or would be resolved in ten minutes if not for artifically stupid actions by the characters can fuck off. No competent writer would ever allow it.

Redeeming features of the last two hours:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Giant robot fight, which was neat, and ... :DD :DD :DD RAIDEN DIES! PAINFULLY! NEEDLESSLY! :DD :DD :DD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:09 
What-ho, chaps!

Only to return more Raideny than ever, as I heard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:16 
Comfortably Dumb

sinister agent wrote:
It's not just me, is it?

Nah. Some of the Final Fantasy games are buggers for it.

1 Long boss battle
|
2 Boss eventually takes enough damage to trigger cut-scene
|
3 Boss either disappears magically or just walks off
|
4 Boss returns later with more special moves
|
5 Go to 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:23 
That Rev Chap

Oddly, there's only one person in the rllmuk thread that doesn't think this is the best game ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:25 
lazy eye patch

Didn't rllmuk spawn from the Edge boards? OMG IT'S TEH ZEITGEIST.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:40 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Oddly, there's only one person in the rllmuk thread that doesn't think this is the best game ever.

Yeah, but that is rllmuk for you. They make your average Ovis aries look like a paragon of individuality.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 17:00 
PC Gamer

sinister agent wrote:
I get things like this happening in my head when I watch any film or game or programme - I'm constantly finding poor writing and dreadful characterisation and plot holes of the tiniest kind. I can overlook anal, pedantic stuff like dates not matching up or pseudoscience, but story advancement that relies entirely on people acting fucking stupid and breaking character and abandoning their motivations pisses me the fuck off. It's lazy, incompetent and insulting at the best of thimes, but the sheer idiocy on display here makes me want to destroy civilisation before the aliens come and cunts like Kojima make them think we're all a bunch of imbeciles. It's bad enough when it's little things like not seeming to care in the slightest that someone's stabbed you in the back, and then letting them back in without even asking why they did it, let alone shooting them instantly in the navel. But when your protagonist has a perfect, blindingly obvious opportunity to fix everything instantly and just doesn't... graregh.

It's not just me, is it? I can switch off and overlook silly things and enjoy them, but stories that would not exist, or would be resolved in ten minutes if not for artifically stupid actions by the characters can fuck off. No competent writer would ever allow it.

It's not just you. That sort of thing happened often enough in the first couple of seasons of new Battlestar Galactica that I still haven't bothered watching S3 or 4.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 17:02 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MrD wrote:
Only to return more Raideny than ever, as I heard.

That sad part is, I kind of expected this. It's thoroughly stupid, so it was always on the cards. (Also, the rocks should have done it anyway. And why did he run off on his own, anyway? Gah).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 18:45 
Rude Belittler

I could never see the problem with Raiden.

Its not like Interrobang Snake is an especially excellent character.

See Also: Arbiter in Halo 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 22:57 

Interrobang Snake?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:20 
Rude Belittler

Interrobang Snake!? !?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:24 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I've more or less finished it now.

Words cannot adequately describe my disgust, horror and contempt at how stupendously terrible this game is.

The first "act" is fun, but too cutscene-y. The second is less cut-sceney, and the best part of the game. The first level of the third act is neat and pretty fun, mostly sneaky with some chances for killin'. There is one level very near the end that is fun ( I got killed on my first go, then got through it without getting spotted once on my second in about half an hour. It was probably the best bit of the game, in fact, though it's nothing revolutionary, just a nice little tricky stealth section. Deus Ex or all the Hitman games have about twenty bits this good, though).

The rest of it is utter, utter shit, and 90% cut scenes. There are at least five "acts".

My advice: If you must play this (at a friend's house or something. Don't buy it. Do not buy this "game"), once you've done the level where you tail the resistance member, switch the game off, and never play beyond that point. There is absolutely nothing in the rest of the game that comes close to justifying a quarter of the shit this game contains.

Some examples? Okey dokey:

-----

A cutscene. The game gives you control. You have no choice but to run directly forward along a very long, empty walkway with no scenery while flashbacks play in the audio (most of them from about five minutes ago, so hardly worth flashing back). As you reach the end, another cutscene starts. So, you don't get to control the scene where you beat up five guys in close quarters, nor the scene where you 'ambush' six guys in a helicopter by firing over their heads and hoping for another deus ex machina. But you do get to control the cut scene where you walk along an empty corridor in an empty room in a straight line while nothing happens. Great. Thanks.

-----

A corridor that kills you as you walk through it (and you have to, as it's the only way to the advance the series of shit cut scenes. Or "game" if you're feeling generous). Almost. It's a microwave corridor, which should literally kill you and any living thing in seconds, as is pointed out by everyone in the vicinity, but you walk through it, getting slower and slower, as the screen goes split again and shows some random footage of shit characters nobody worth pushing out of the way of a speeding car gives a toss about as they try to be dramatic. You get slower and slower, to an agonising crawl, and have no choice but to sit there like a twat holding forwards for about four minutes... and then it tells you to press a button repeatedly. You have to press this button repeatedly, faster and faster, for two full minutes, or you die before you reach the other side.

-----

A recurring (and annoying) boss who you get to fight until he's almost dead, then let him recover, then get someone else to fight him until he's almost dead again. Then, instead of letting you finish the loathsome prick off however you see fit (slit his throat? Kick him around for a while? Fire tranquilisers into his head until he dies? A grenade? Shotgun execution?), you get another cutscene where someone pops up to say how you should make it easy and be merciful, and then she injects him with something that makes him grunt and wince and ARGH before dying. Which is not only less satisfying than simply shooting him in the head, but it's less merciful, too. So you get to fight an annoying boss down to a sliver, but don't get the satisfaction of finishing him off, despite this being the whole point of a boss fight. For NO REASON.

Oh, and someone who has cancer stops taking their medication, and dies almost instantly. That's some fucking fierce mitosis, man. The hell kind of cancer was that?

-----

"I created an anti-Thing to the Thing that caused all this. Then instead of giving it to you, I gave it to your friend, asked her not to tell you, but to hide it until after I've inexplicably killed myself for a betrayal that was totally pointless and use it as a deus ex machina later on. Oh, also, you know how it's the Thing that's slowly and incurably killing you? This anti-Thing I just made must logically cure it, but even though you saved my life and the entire world about six times, I thought I'd just look really torn up about whether or not to tell you about it so that you can flashback to it later, even though I've no reason not to give it to you and save your life and, by extension, the entire fucking world.*"

*Disclaimer: They may go on to use the anti-Thing to save you. I'm not watching the rest of it to find out, because if I don't watch it, I can always imagine that absolutely all the characters die in a freak steamrolling accident and feel slightly better. If they do use the anti-Thing to cure the Thing, they deliberately withheld the cure for your illness for no reason even though they're supposed to be on your side and you're the only thing that can save the world. If they don't, the protagonist will die a horrible death for no reason. Well done, that writer.

-----

A character making a heroic last stand. This person has one more clip of bullets, and says as much while lookin gat the clip. She then checks her gun, which has one bullet in. She then puts the spare clip down on the floor and runs deliberately out towards a bunch of enemies with one bullet, which she fires right away, leaving a full clip of ammunition behind instead of, oh I don't know, TAKING IT WITH HER AND PUTTING IT IN THE GUN AND KILLING THE ENEMIES WITH IT INSTEAD OF KILLING ONE AND THEN BEING TOTALLY FUCKED OH WAIT DEUS EX MACHINA QUELLE SURPRISE.

-----

Two heroes (you'll wish bacterial death on them at least six times, but by the time you see this cutscene, you'll be wishing sandpaper torture on their children) are in an alcove, cornered by about five hundred heavily armed elite soldiers. They instant head shot about thirty of them (both of these character have proved themselves to be unreliable at best, but are now suddenly superhuman) while trading revolting lines and attempting the poorest excuse for comedy that I've seen since... well, the last one Kojima made. At no point do any of the FIVE HUNDRED ELITE SOLDIERS think to (a) Throw a grenade, (b) AIM before shooting (although in their defence, they did kill the shit out of Deus Ex Machina Boy before he machina-ed to such an extent that an entire clip of assault rifle ammunition emptied directly into his torso at short range merely knocked him unconscious for a few minutes, after which he was not only fine, but suddenly capable of superhuman reflexes and accuracy, where earlier in the film he didn't even know how to work the safety on his rifle), or (c) Do something other than queue up to be slaughtered two at a time. Who the fuck hires these soldiers?

-----

"She was abused and tortured for years and everyone she knows was murdered to shit for no reason. Her every waking moment is hell and she's totally batshit insane and responsible for the orgiastic murder of countless innocents. Every negative human emotion has consumed her very soul for years (although it's had a remarkably positive effect on her figure and endowment). But you cured her by, er, firing several grenades into her head until she dropped her weapons, then beating her to death with the butt of your shotgun."

This happens four times. Apparently, if you violently assault an extremely mentally disturbed woman for long enough, you'll cure her.

-----

You're rolling around on the floor, practically dead. About ten soldiers see you, and put their guns away, and start walkin gtowards your helpless body. Really, really slowly, about a foot every ten seconds. Why are they doing this?. The hero - the guy your boss wants you to kill - is lying prone and helpless in a dead end twenty yards away and YOU HAVE GUNS AND ARE ELITE SOLDIERS. SHOOT HIM. Don't advance slowly and menacingly just long enough for a deus ex machine (#7 by my count) to appear. NOBODY WOULD DO THAT.

-----

All the soldiers in a squadron are affected by an evil spell, or something, near the start of the game. Except for one, who is unaffected and the only one who can stand up while they roll around in agony. He rescues some of them. This happens again hours later (and in a great scene where a million soldiers surround the villain over the course of about twenty fucking minutes, even though they know he can just instantly disable them all at will. In a SHOCKING TWIST, he casts his evil spell and instantly disables them, and everybody takes a fortnight to understand, even though this spell of his is the very fucking reason they're trying to kill him. Oh, incidentally, the villain can disable all "ID locked" guns at will, and everyone knows this. Despite the fact that they are well acquainted with an arms dealer who can give them non-locked guns, they equip all the soldiers with ID locked guns, and then look baffled for about two minutes when they stop working. Snake, despite having an armory of functional, non-locked guns and a clear shot of the villain with a scoped sniper rifle, nowhere for him to run and the element of surprise, does not take out a gun and shoot the villain, thus fulfilling his only goal in life. Oh, no. He's far too busy watching the proceedings and uncomprehendingly going "Hruaarwh" in that stupid fucking grunt/sigh he uses in every single scene.), and the same character is unaffected and saves a few people again. It's not until a third time this happens, TWELVE GAME HOURS LATER, that somebody who witnessed both prior times thinks to ask him why he's not affected, and thus is the only person who can save the day. How can you write this? How can you sit down and write this and film and animate and voice it, and never realise how atrocious it is?

-----

A character that gets on your side, betrays you, then kills herself in a fit of guilt, then turns out to have been trying to stop the villains all along with a highly portable deus ex machine that she gave to your mate earlier. She has no reason whatsoever to betray you. She intended to help you all along. Her betrayal gained nothing and had no motive beyond trying to make the plot look complex. How in the name of fuck did this get through a writer, a director, the sound bods and the voice actor? "I'm sory I betrayed you." Okay, great. WHY did you do it? THERE IS NO REASON. YOU COULD HAVE JUST TOLD US YOUR PLAN AND STAYED WITH US AND NOTHING WOULD HAVE CHANGED IN THE SLIGHTEST. RGRAAAAAAARRRRGGH HOW FUCKING STUPID DO YOU THINK WE ARE?

-----

HE DIED. OH WAIT HE'S OKAY. BUT HE GOT CRUSHED TO DEATH. BUT HE'LL BE FINE. IN FACT HE'LL COME BACK LATER ON AND INEXPLICABLY BE A ROBOT EX MACHINA AND FIGHT A BUNCH OF GUYS BY HOLDING A SWORD IN HIS MOUTH AND SUDDENLY HAVING THE POWER TO MAKE PEOPLE DIE JUST BY LOOKING AT THEM FOR NO REASON.

-----

JEGAGARH.Okay. Okay. Calming down. Right. More examples coming in a few minutes. I'm going to go and do the washing up until I calm down.

-----

Righto. Did you hold out hope that the ending, that glorious final confrontation would make it if not worthwhile, then at least less indigestible? Please listen to me now. I'm going to spoil the end of the game for you. You will thank me.

After a cutscene in which you are abandoned on an enemy ship by your best friend while he goes to get you a medic (oh, by the way, the microwaves that would kill you in moments but this turns out to mean will almost kill you over about six minutes, but then you'll suddenly have the strength to fight a bunch of robots? They didn't kill you), instead of, for example, shouting to the crew of the friendly warship about 100 yards away, who know precisely who you are and how you've just saved the world, or sending one of the three or four deus ex machina guys you presumably teleported past on your way back up to the surface to get help while he guards your helpless, near-dead self from the marauding enemy soldiers and the nemesis character who everyone knows is on board but who hasn't showed up yet, your nemesis pops up. He injects you and himself with supersaiyan juice and suddenly your incurable medical condition, severe third degree burns and internal scalding are cured, and you're the picture of health. Read through it again if you need to, I'm on a rant here and sentence length can fuck off.

Another cut scene follows, in which you and he go karate-mental (again making you wonder why you were restricted to a single totally useless three hit combination for the rest of the game) for a while, and are somehow evenly matched despite your degenerative illness, near fatal injuries and several days of fatigue compared to his respectable physique, experience and several days of doing nothing more demanding than waving his hands around dramatically and being allowed to walk out of harm's way by a mustachioed cretin.

Then you're allowed to play again. You go hand to hand against your nemesis, with totally different controls to the rest of the game, no explanation, and only three buttons do anything.

Three.

You can hammer the attack button for a longer, farther-reaching, faster and more satisfying combination attack that again, you were unable to use for the rest of the game for no reason. You can block unreliably, or attempt a grab unreliably. If you do anything but grab you'll do next to no damage. If you grab, you get quicktime events.

This is the climax to a decade-spanning story, Kojima? Fucking quicktime events? PRESS R1. PRESS R1. PRESS TRIANGLE. WELL DONE. PRESS R1. PRESS R1.

That's it. That's the best they could come up with. A fight that is actually worse than the final fight in the first game.

Ten years in the making and you get "press triangle as rapidly as possible" followed by "PRESS THIS. PRESS THAT. PRESS.. too slow, you lose." (if you get the quicktime event wrong, instead of slowly and unsatisfyingly hitting your opponent, he'll counter and twat you one. So your only effective move will end up hurting you more than him if you're not an efficient Pavlovian drone. And to think, the plot's supposed to be about granting people freedom....).

The controls are clunky and barely responsive, the collision detection (I got laid out by a punch that quite clearly missed by half a foot, and later laid out by a punch even though I landed a blow as he was drawing back to hit me - my blow just didn't register) is slack, just as you think you've won, the game runs out of ideas and just fills both your energy bars up again, and it was at this point that I died, and said, very loudly "fuck this, this is fucking bullshit", and chose 'Exit'.

It. Doesn't. Let. You. Exit.

I had to switch the machine off to stop playing.

I could go on. I could go on. Every single reviewer in the universe who gave this game more than 3 out of 10 is a corrupt, incompetent piece of shit. Fuck every one of them. If a reviewer ormag gave this game 8, 9 or god fucking help us 10 out of 10, never, NEVER believe a single word they say. They are a cunt. Hideo Kojima is the Overcunt. Don't buy it. Don't rent it. Don't allow your friends or even enemies to buy it. Don't even fucking PIRATE it, because that'll encourage them too. Not even if it's 50p. If you get it free with something else, snap it in two and send it back to Konami (I think it's them, right? I don't want to know, because if I know, and I meet someone who works for them, I will be morally obligated to stab them in the face) in a padded envelope filled with faeces.

This is quite possibly the worst game I have ever played. I want to like it. I WANT TO LIKE IT, but I cannot. Even I cannot delude myself to that extent.

14%.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:35 
UltraMod

I love the way you've slowly degenerated into gibbering madness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:38 
Sleepyhead

So, did you like it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:41 

Truly, this is living.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:42 
Rude Belittler

Do you think Kojima intentionally fucked it up? I mean, MGS2 was supposed to be his last MGS game, then he was forced to come back for 3, then he said that he was definitely retiring from the series, no question, then he was forced to come back for 4 (apparently he received death threats), do you think he said 'fuck it, lets give them a great game, then ruin it by messing up the story, include 8 billion cutscenes, and generally shit all over it'?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:43 
Skillmeister

Now this is reviewing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:48 
lazy eye patch

myoptika wrote:
I love the way you've slowly degenerated into gibbering madness.

In real life too.

Though from his madness I do believe the sinister agent points the way forward for the nascent web presence of this merry soviet. We should rip him off big style.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:24 
What-ho, chaps!

Quote:
This is the climax to a decade-spanning story, Kojima? Fucking quicktime events?

Counter Elbow Assault! (Shenmue II spoilo.)

Quote:

Are you sure you were pressing the right button? Did you try the PS button?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:26 
Kindly deeds done for free

If sinister's MGS-fuelled descent into insanity isn't turned into a review for the site then I'll be severely disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:39 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MrD wrote:
Quote:
This is the climax to a decade-spanning story, Kojima? Fucking quicktime events?

Counter Elbow Assault! (Shenmue II spoilo.)

Quote:

Are you sure you were pressing the right button? Did you try the PS button?

When you die (incidentally, the death scene is epileptically annoying, and unskippable (short though, but still)), you get the options "Continue" and "Exit". During this fight, if you choose Exit, it shouts at you and the cursor switches to continue and activates.

During the fight, I pressed ALL the buttons. None of them but three and the PS3 button did anything, including start, which up until that point had been pause/menu (even in the cut scenes). You can't even pause the last fight.

The PS button took me to the machine's menu. I told it to switch off from there.

A game that's so up its own arse that it takes away the pause function during the last fight, just because fuck you. The mind boggles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:40 
Excellent Member

That was awesomely eviscerating. Someone please post it to that twat on Eurogamer that gave it 8/10.

Eurogamer:

Quote:
Metal Gear Solid has always been a love it or hate it proposition. Millions love it for its involved, conspiratorial plotting, its arch sense of humour, its demanding stealth gameplay, its sprawling cinematic ambition, its preposterous stylishness and pretensions toward artistic weight. Millions hate it for exactly the same reasons.

Then there are those - this reviewer included - for whom Metal Gear Solid is a love it and hate it proposition.

Fuck you.

Quote:
Such is the luxurious length and mind-numbing detail of the cut-scenes and codec conversations that you could put the pad down for almost half the game's ample length. (One character actually asks you to do so at one point, resulting in a typically self-aware and genuinely hilarious joke.)

Fuck you.

Quote:
There are even split-screen sections that provide simultaneous feeds of game and movie. In Guns of the Patriots' incredible, cathartic, climactic scenes, the lines are blurred so much that you can barely tell whether you're playing a videogame or watching a film. To some that might sound like an insult, but to Kojima and his fans, it's nirvana, something for which the series has been striving for ten years, and it could not be a more appropriate note to end on.

Oh fuck off.

Must admit, I haven't played it, but comparing Sinister Agent's review and Oli Walsh's, I know which opinion I'm valuing.

There's over 2,100 comments on Eurogamer's talkback. Here's one of them.

Quote:
I've played this game and beat it. Amazing, critisize the cutscenes? Skip them. I personally enjoyed them i found myself bored only for about a minute and a half during one cutscene during the entire game. It's obvious that this reviewer began the game with the intent to be a critic rather than to be a gamer and really enjoy the game. I understand some of you may think the game is complicated and confusing, it's really not if you have common sense and some intelligence. That is one of the reason's the game is rated Mature because Konami isnt obligated to make Children understand technology, politics, etc. and they're not suppose to. In short I agree with Gamespot saying "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the most technically stunning video game ever made." and I thought they were biased against PS3 but I was ultimately impressed with the review. The game's story takes many unexpected twists and turns unlike other games where you can guess the end of the story before you're there. The graphics are beautiful, stealth is great, track your enemies, boss fights I enjoyed the most though since in 90% of games the boss fight is just shoot it till it dies but in MGS4 you have to use your skills to take it down or figure out a way to exploit a weakness. I personally think that if the critic of this review had sat down to enjoy the game rather than analyze the pros and cons he might have fell in love with the story. This is my first Metal Gear game save playing some of Metal Gear Solid 1 but sadly I was too young to understand alot of it which is the problem of many of the posters of comments. No I'm not 30, just in college I'd have gave this game a 10/10 because this is the best PS3 game out, and the best Next-Generation game out in my opinion, but it is my opinion.

Argh. And a lot more are complaining about how it only got 8/10. :'( >:( :'(

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:48 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I read the eurogamer one before I knew we had the game, and was neutral - I expected it to be like the second - loads of stupid shit at the end, but mostly fun. Sounded a bit wanky, though.

I read it again last night and wanted to kill eurogamer with pliers. They were bribed. There is no other explanation, for if you really like a game, you talk about how fun it is, you don't wank on about how emotional it is and how significant and it's a masterpiece and blurs the line and goo goo gaa gaa can I have my cheque now please?

Cunt. I hope whoever wrote that is beaten by thugs who bribe a nearby policeman into looking the other way while they stomp on his knees.

Quote:
The game's story takes many unexpected twists and turns unlike other games where you can guess the end of the story before you're there.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU YOU UNBELIEVABLY THICKWITTED TROLL WHORE'S CUNT WART PRICKING IDIOT? RGARGAHHRGGH WHY DO THESE PEOPLE CONTINUE TO BREATHE AND MOCK ALL THAT IS SENTIENT WITH THEIR BRAIN STUPOUR? grajgrgjnjhhnnnnnkkkk-k

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:51 

sinister agent wrote:
Righto. Did you hold out hope that the ending, that glorious final confrontation would make it if not worthwhile, then at least less indigestible? Please listen to me now. I'm going to spoil the end of the game for you. You will thank me.
Do you really think that anyone one on BETEO will be playing this after your reviews? Not much to spoil, I would say.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:59 
Peculiar, yet lovely

This, however, I grudgingly agree with:

Quote:
Then there are those - this reviewer included - for whom Metal Gear Solid is a love it and hate it proposition.

I love the game parts of it where you're not fighting annoying bosses or doing sub games, but are free to infiltrate and distract and murder and tranquilise and etc. They're great. There are just practically none of them in MGS4. It could have been a brilliant game. They should release the engine or something, make a spin-off where you just infiltrate buildings to grab key items or kill key people or whatever.

Side note: One thing that occured to me while playing is that in all the MGS games, and the latest more than any, there are no proper objectives. You're never asked to get to one person and then allowed to deal with them as you see fit. You don't have to hack into a computer then sneak out, or knock someone out, or anything. The objective, barring bits in MGS2 with freezing the bombs and stuff, is always simply "activate the next cut scene." I think this says a lot about the attitude of the game. You're not allowed to do the important bits, player! Fuck you, you can do all the work, and we'll take over when you get to the objective.

It's stupid. Bah.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 
Rude Belittler

nervouspete wrote:
Argh. And a lot more are complaining about how it only got 8/10. :'( >:( :'(

That's nothing. They were bitching on the coments for Game Trailers' review... because they only gave it 9.3. Out of 10.
In the future fanboys will be bitching when their chosen (read: the most hyped game for the console they own) only gets 99 out of 100. Because they are fuckwits who don't understand the first thing about criticism.

I hope Yahtzee absolutely fucking annihilates the game when he reviews it. The Super Smash Brothers: Brawl incident was hilarious enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:43 
PC Gamer

This reads like one of those Lovecraft stories where some poor rube discovers an ancient text that contains Things A Man Ought Not To See and slowly descends into horror and madness as they get further and further into the book.

Thanks, Sinister. You might now end up being sectioned, but at least you've produced the greatest review in history.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Haha, ah, thanks muchly folks, I really appreciate the encouragement. I thought you'd all just by annoyed at the waffling, and I doubt I'd have had the patience to get that far without it.

Just don't ask me to do MGS5. Please.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:39 

I feel I should buy you a beer, Sinister Agent. You've saved me £330, it's only fair.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:42 
That Rev Chap

I don't think I've ever wanted to play a game more than this. This thread versus the rllmuk thread demands I find out the truth for myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:25 

Quote:
the lines are blurred so much that you can barely tell whether you're playing a videogame or watching a film.

I have a way to tell, when was the last time a film cost you £50?

Also, Sinister.... hugs!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:28 
Skillmeister

I've just had to turn Bravo off in a fit of utter rage after their "Playr" review of MGS4 said "you may have to sit through a game that's 50% cutscenes, but you'll be rewarded with the most brilliant tactical strategy shooting game ever made. In fact, this is one of the greatest games ever". I trust the agent.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 17:49 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Hitman 2, Blood Money, Deus Ex (hell, even Deus Ex 2), both Rainbow 6 Vegas games (don't plays the first one on the PS3 though - terrible port) and the other MGS games are all considerably more fun and offer dozens more hours of entertainment than MGS4. You could buy three or four of them for less than the cost of MGS4, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 17:54 
That Rev Chap

Love the Hitman games, played but didn't get far with Rainbow Six Vegas and I loathe Deus Ex with a passion.

Anyway, I decided to play the copy of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops I've had for months but never played. It's very good, but the controls try their best to ruin it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 18:27 
What-ho, chaps!

That's not the game's fault though. MGS:PO's controls really try their best with the little they have to work with.

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next