Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Metal Gear Solid 4...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:23 
Excellent Member

There is a difference between design to enable a certain type of gameplay (Doom 3 torch, RE4 not allowing strafing) and some of the stunts MGS4 pulls.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that SA's description of the split-screen fighting bit encapsulates everything that is wrong with MGS4.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:29 
What-ho, chaps!

I still think the only reason you can't sidestep in RE4 is because Leon would look silly doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 14:04 
Paws for thought

myoptika wrote:
I really enjoyed Doom 3 as well. There's not many of us about.

I really enjoyed it, but on the flip side, I have absolutely no desire to play it again.
(Compare to Doom, which I played to death, and then some. And then got on the 360, and played lots)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 14:05 
lazy eye patch

sinister agent wrote:
I should probably mention that Stu's asked to put the last bit up as a guest review on WoS (I pasted the last bit on the WoS forums)

Capable forumites* contributing to the larger site for the benefit of all? Damn, if only we'd suggested that back in March, eh? And so on, and so on, all quite benignly.

* Well, I say capable...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 14:07 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
myoptika wrote:
I really enjoyed Doom 3 as well. There's not many of us about.

I really enjoyed it, but on the flip side, I have absolutely no desire to play it again.
(Compare to Doom, which I played to death, and then some. And then got on the 360, and played lots)

I quite fancy playing it again at some point. Or maybe the expansion pack that I never played.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 16:51 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Hi Darth Judo and welcome! Always nice to have new faces around.

Why thank you. Although I suspect I'll slink back into the night once I'm back in work. Unless we finally get that internet port in my office working and I can hide in there away from all the scary patients.

Regarding MGS4:

Quote:
Reviewers shouldn't review a game for fanboys - they should review it as it stands next to every other game.

This is opening up a whole can of worms. I personally feel a reviewer's opinion should be entirely subjective - as in what that individual feels about what they're reviewing. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging something's faults, or accepting that not everyone feels as you do (indeed, most reviewers will do this to some extent). The problem comes when it's time to give it a final score. Scores are often taken as gospel, as a measure of a product's objective worth and people tie themselves in knots, especially where big name products are involved and a low score will have repercussions, both from fanboys and publishers. In an ideal world we could have a huge objective table of how good every game is compared to every other game, but everyone's opinion of gaming is so different. For example, I respect Stuart Campbell's opinion when it comes to games, but disagree with (and struggle to understand) his feeling that 'abstract' games are superior to more narrative efforts. Almost all of my favourite games are narrative-led, and thus I'll be more inclined to like a game with a stronger narrative and weaker mechanics than Stu would. Bottom line is, I don't think games can be objectively rated by one individual. I suppose you could take a metacritic/gamerankings approach and try to give a game a conglomerate score, but on the individual level I think a review (and thus, score) has to be subjective.

Quote:
I guess I'm just baffled by this, "It's frequently bizarrely stupid, keeps snatching control away from you, has annoyingly lengthy cutscenes, makes no real sense, has many gameplay flaws and is overwhelming pretentious but if you love the previous MGS's, then you're going to love this!" opinion.

I think this is at the heart of the MGS4 debate. To me, whether or not you like this game has less to do with whether you can forgive its faults as to whether you can embrace them. This is especially true of the plot. Cheesy just doesn't cut it - the plot is a hunk of prime gorgonzola left to mature in the midday sun for a few hours, then carried to its unveiling wedged 'twixt a fat man's moob and stomach. It's not a question of looking beyond the cheesy plot - you need to love that sort of thing. Same for the cutscenes, the fan love...

Quote:
Perhaps MGS4 is review-proof, in that it is impossible to judge it like a Super Mario Galaxy or a Halo. The fact that it lumped in with those games is a sign of how immature the industry really is. It would never happen in music, trying to compare the latest Leonard Cohen with a Trent Reznor album.

Indeed. That's the problem with review scores: they attempt to bring an objective overview to the whole process, and give the illusion that very different things can be compared. But congratulations in saying it better than I could. Bastard.

Quote:
The arguments for MGS make it sound like an abusive domestic relationship. "He must love me, he always buys me flowers to say sorry for punching me."

I prefer to think of it as some screwy oddball who doesn't quite approach the world like everyone else, and who 80% of people would leave the room to escape but 20% will find oddly endearing. Although your comment perfectly fits how I feel about the new Alone in the Dark, about which I'll probably post later today.

Anyway. That's what I think about MGS4. I think many people will be bitterly disappointed having bought it on the basis of the scores it's received. It's far from perfect, but I did enjoy playing it a great deal, and will probably head back to watch/play it again in a little while.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 17:22 
PC Gamer

Darth Judo wrote:
I think this is at the heart of the MGS4 debate. To me, whether or not you like this game has less to do with whether you can forgive its faults as to whether you can embrace them. This is especially true of the plot. Cheesy just doesn't cut it - the plot is a hunk of prime gorgonzola left to mature in the midday sun for a few hours, then carried to its unveiling wedged 'twixt a fat man's moob and stomach. It's not a question of looking beyond the cheesy plot - you need to love that sort of thing. Same for the cutscenes, the fan love...

But, but, but, as people have said before, there's a big, important difference between cheesy and rubbish. Star Wars is cheesy. Attack Of The Clones is rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 17:54 
Sleepyhead

Rodafowa wrote:
Darth Judo wrote:

But, but, but, as people have said before, there's a big, important difference between cheesy and rubbish. Star Wars is cheesy. Attack Of The Clones is rubbish.

TAKE THAT BACK!

>:(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 18:08 

CUS wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
I should probably mention that Stu's asked to put the last bit up as a guest review on WoS (I pasted the last bit on the WoS forums)

Capable forumites* contributing to the larger site for the benefit of all? Damn, if only we'd suggested that back in March, eh? And so on, and so on, all quite benignly.

* Well, I say capable...

It did occur to me but I'm limiting myself to one shot a post, even though it's all so very easy. Current favourite, apparently I've made every post ever on the internet or something.

Quote:
but, but, but, as people have said before, there's a big, important difference between cheesy and rubbish. Star Wars is cheesy. Attack Of The Clones is rubbish.

Exactly. Shriek iykwidlf13th is cheesy, Scary Movie is rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 18:16 
PC Gamer

Curiosity wrote:
TAKE THAT BACK!

Which bit? Star Wars is amazingly cheesy ("I'll be careful." "You'll be DEAD!" etc). Send In The Clones is amazingly rubbish ("Sometimes I think you'll be the death of me, Anakin" etc).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 18:34 
Sleepyhead

Rodafowa wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
TAKE THAT BACK!

Which bit? Star Wars is amazingly cheesy ("I'll be careful." "You'll be DEAD!" etc). Send In The Clones is amazingly rubbish ("Sometimes I think you'll be the death of me, Anakin" etc).

I loved Attack of the Clones. From the quotes given, surely you should transpose which one you think is cheesy and which one is rubbish? Episode Two was excellent.

I guess now we're back to subjectivity, eh?

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 23:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:
I loved Attack of the Clones.

No. You suck.

[vote:curiosity]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 
Excellent Painter

Craster wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

No. You suck.

For anybody who hasn't seen it, here's the New Yorker's review of Revenge of the Sith. It made me cry with laughter. If you like George Lucas it may just make you cry ;)

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/0 ... rci_cinema

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

My friend is buying a PS3 just for this game, rather than my second-hand 360.
I tried, I really did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:59 
What-ho, chaps!

Is he buying your PS3?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:06 
Sleepyhead

DBSnappa wrote:
Craster wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

No. You suck.

For anybody who hasn't seen it, here's the New Yorker's review of Revenge of the Sith. It made me cry with laughter. If you like George Lucas it may just make you cry ;)

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/0 ... rci_cinema

Meh.

Every single problem he has with the movie (on the first page at least... couldn't stand to read any more) can be levelled at the original trilogy. He hates the names Darth Sidious and Senator Palpatine... but are Chewbacca and Chief Chirpa any better?

The reviewer also misses out by saying that the world is too perfect and nice in the future, despite it being intentionally 'nicer' (and, well, not in the future) than Episodes IV - VI due to it being based around prosperous worlds before the Evil Empire went around ruining everything. I won't even bother to mention the seedy bars, etc, that ruin his point.

Poor effort at a review, that clearly wanted to make a point and then tried to fit the facts around the point afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrD wrote:
Is he buying your PS3?

Nope, brand new.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:12 
What-ho, chaps!

That is unfortunate. Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 18:04 
Gogmagog

Zero Punctuation reviewed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 19:51 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MaliA wrote:
Zero Punctuation reviewed it.

Aw, but I emailed him to ask him not to, for the sake of his own sanity.

I'll have to watch that when I get home.

Edit: Ooh, we do have speakers in the office after all.

Huh. Pretty merciful. Deus Ex Machina count! Ha! I told you.

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4