Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Mac Owners
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:58 

GazChap wrote:
Leopard basically removed support for AFP networking which has totally fucked over the Mac's networking capabilities at the office. Samba (which it uses now) is shit in comparison to AFP, for Macs at least.
That's interesting, is SMB actually Apple's recommended Mac-to-Mac wire protocol now? I thought it had the potential to fuck up resource forks.

Mind you, AppleTalk always was a royal pain in the arse from a network admin point of view. Stupid chatty protocol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:03 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
Leopard basically removed support for AFP networking which has totally fucked over the Mac's networking capabilities at the office. Samba (which it uses now) is shit in comparison to AFP, for Macs at least.

I've switched off Samba on both of my Leopard machines and AFP is still working fine. I've got it on my iPhone, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:18 
Excellent Painter

Zardoz wrote:
Well I'm running 10.5.3 here at work on my Intel Mac Pro and it's fine & dandy.

Certainly hasn't stopped me ordering my Macbook Pro CUS.

Although my idiocy in not returning the credit agreement forms due to forgetting to bring a current bill with my address on has however stalled the process, I am stoopid.

I'm running 10.5.3 as well, on a iG5, a MBP and an iBoko with no problems really. I get the occasional documented problem with it refusing to wake from sleep on the MBP, but I find a hard stare usually works fine to resolve that. I think it's a little less stable than Tiger (I like the fact that all the OS iterations are also the same as WWII German tanks!) but not deal breakingly so, by any interpretation - the only noticeable problems I seem to get nowdays are unresponsive apps, none of which are Apple. Firefox regularly buggers up if I have multiple tabs open - it starts with failing to load jpegs or flash or content into pages and ends with telling me it's "done" downloading content and there's nothing but a blank page. I also occasionally get lock ups with Lightroom as well, but FQ'ing usually resolves that. It's being widely reported that 10.6 (It's No Leopard) will be much cleaner as they're dropping PPC support.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 
Excellent Painter

richardgaywood wrote:
GazChap wrote:
That's interesting, is SMB actually Apple's recommended Mac-to-Mac wire protocol now? I thought it had the potential to fuck up resource forks.

Mind you, AppleTalk always was a royal pain in the arse from a network admin point of view. Stupid chatty protocol.

I've just noticed //pedant mode// that your sig says AKA as Dr Glyndwr, so that's Also Known As As DrGlyndwr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 
baron of techno

LOLs out loud at DBSnappa.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:33 

DBSnappa wrote:
I've just noticed //pedant mode// that your sig says AKA as Dr Glyndwr, so that's Also Known As As DrGlyndwr
Bollocks, you are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 

richardgaywood wrote:
I thought it had the potential to fuck up resource forks.

It does. That's what's causing about 90% of our network issues with the Macs in the office.

mrbogus wrote:
I've switched off Samba on both of my Leopard machines and AFP is still working fine. I've got it on my iPhone, too.

Interesting, we can't get the Macs to communicate over AFP at all - is there a specific setting you have to switch on in Leopard? And on the iPhone don't you need to install an app to use AFP?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:39 
baron of techno

GazChap wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
I thought it had the potential to fuck up resource forks.

It does. That's what's causing about 90% of our network issues with the Macs in the office.

Macs still have resource forks? Really? I probably wouldn't have bought one if I'd known that :S

Yes, you need an app to connect to the iphone over AFP. I use ftp though 'cos it's a bit handier.

Finder is shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:54 

kalmar wrote:
Macs still have resource forks? Really? I probably wouldn't have bought one if I'd known that :S
Only old school apps. I used my Mac for Java development and I don't think I had a single resource fork on the drive anywhere outside the OS. They are not widely used for data files any more, as I understand it. See also: alternate data streams on NTFS, which are pretty much the same thing, and is (I think I remember reading) why Excel will not accept a / or : in a worksheet name: each worksheet is saved as a different data stream and they all need valid paths.

Quote:
Finder is shit.
It never really bothered me, any more so than Explorer or, for that matter, the Gnome and KDE file managers. Why do you say this?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 
Chinny chin chin

DBSnappa wrote:
The new skinny ali mac keyboard is a joy to use -

Nice to look at, nice to hold, but if you use it consider yourself, er, fucked off.

Hateful device that makes Sir Clive Sinclair look like some kind of keyboard design genius. As discussed earlier, in my whole collection of computers the only keyboard I hate more than the Mac keyboard is my BBC Master. That includes all of Sir Clives efforts and the C64.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:58 
Excellent Painter

kalmar wrote:
LOLs out loud at DBSnappa.

The best kind of response! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:02 
Excellent Painter

chinnyhill10 wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
The new skinny ali mac keyboard is a joy to use -

Nice to look at, nice to hold, but if you use it consider yourself, er, fucked off.

Hateful device that makes Sir Clive Sinclair look like some kind of keyboard design genius. As discussed earlier, in my whole collection of computers the only keyboard I hate more than the Mac keyboard is my BBC Master. That includes all of Sir Clives efforts and the C64.

Oh, I hated it at first, but I love it now. I must point out that I came from a wireless crumb store beforehand that just stopped working. That was VILE to use, truly cheap, nasty, unresponsive and the worst kind of pita to clean.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:05 
Excellent Painter

richardgaywood wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Bollocks, you are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

I did waver about IMing you but I thought I'd humiliate you in public instead, seeing as it's rare that I get a technical one over on you! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:05 

richardgaywood wrote:
Only old school apps.

We use QuarkXPress 4 and 5 in our office, although we are slowly moving to 6 which does run on OS X natively.

The other thing that fucks me right off about OS X is the way it drops hidden files everywhere it fucking touches. Leopard is even worse for this than Tiger and previous - those generally only put .DS_Store files everywhere, but now Leopard creates a hidden file for EVERY SINGLE FILE in any given folder. I'm assuming that this is Leopard's way of "emulating" resource forks, but it's goddamn annoying.

There isn't a way of turning this off. There should be a way of turning it off for network drives. Just like there should be a way of showing hidden files that DOESN'T involve typing in a command into the terminal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 

chinnyhill10 wrote:

Have you actually tried using it for, say, a whole day? They really feel shit at first but the more you get used to them the better they get.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:10 
Chinny chin chin

GazChap wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

Have you actually tried using it for, say, a whole day? They really feel shit at first but the more you get used to them the better they get.

2 full days.

I'm sure it's fine for web browsing, but for any kind of proper work it's shit. Same way I hate typing anything of length on a laptop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:11 
baron of techno

richardgaywood wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Only old school apps. I used my Mac for Java development and I don't think I had a single resource fork on the drive anywhere outside the OS. They are not widely used for data files any more, as I understand it.

Well, good :)

Quote:
Quote:
Finder is shit.
It never really bothered me, any more so than Explorer or, for that matter, the Gnome and KDE file managers. Why do you say this?

It just isn't really good at anything. List files and directories in a sensible way so you can see them? No. Access an FTP site or expand a zip file? No. Even the preview of images and such is poor. Every listing is in its own window which has to be massive, so you end up shuffling through about half a dozen of the stupid things for the simplest operations. I'm sure there's more I could come up with if I was sitting at it.

I know you're going to say "well, you should use the shell then". And you're probably right, but I grew up using Directory Opus which did everything nicely, and even windows Explorer is tolerable on XP, so it's annoying to take a step backwards to the days when GUIs were pretty but largely useless for anything file-system-y.

AFAICS Gnome and KDE file managers have the same stone age metality but look awful as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:14 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I'm sure it's fine for web browsing, but for any kind of proper work it's shit. Same way I hate typing anything of length on a laptop.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I do probably about 9 hours of coding a day on mine and I'm consistently faster with it than with any other keyboard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:18 
Chinny chin chin

GazChap wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I do probably about 9 hours of coding a day on mine and I'm consistently faster with it than with any other keyboard.

The lack of a numeric keypad is a killer blow IMO. I've rather got used to it, Amstrad being the only major 8 bit manufacturer to include one on their machines.*

* OK so the CPC numeric keypad was "F" keys but nobody ever used them as such.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:21 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
The lack of a numeric keypad is a killer blow IMO. I've rather got used to it, Amstrad being the only major 8 bit manufacturer to include one on their machines.*

Aaaaah. You've been using the wireless one.

Yes, that blows goats compared to the wired one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 
baron of techno

chinnyhill10 wrote:

* OK so the CPC numeric keypad was "F" keys but nobody ever used them as such.

Funny how we're influenced by our early computer "choices" isn't it :)
I was lucky enough to get a C64, so to this day I exclusively use the numbers which are right there above the letter keys, which is dead handy. So I could quite happily ditch the right 3rd of the keyboard and not miss it..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:30 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
I was lucky enough to get a C64, so to this day I exclusively use the numbers which are right there above the letter keys, which is dead handy. So I could quite happily ditch the right 3rd of the keyboard and not miss it..

I use the numeric keypad a hell of alot in my accounts package, but also in spreadsheets. Other times I use the numbers at the top.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 16:32 

GazChap wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

Aaaaah. You've been using the wireless one.

Yes, that blows goats compared to the wired one.

What are the differences (apart from being wireless and having no numeric keypad)?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 16:36 
Paws for thought

Mainly that it doesn't sneak off every 10 minutes to find a goat and pleasure it in certain ways, judging by the sound of it.

That would get annoying, to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 18:54 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Dave wrote:
Mainly that it doesn't sneak off every 10 minutes to find a goat and pleasure it in certain ways, judging by the sound of it.

That would get annoying, to say the least.

I did find it doing this....

Disgusting.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 21:01 
Paws for thought

*Applauds*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 23:13 
Serious Little Beast

My wife has the aluminium wireless keyboard, and barring the lack of num-pad, I can't really see/feel any difference.

The KDE file manager/swiss army app, Konqueror, is actually stupendously lovely - it's the thing I liked most and miss most about Linux. Effortlessly switches between local browsing, FTP, HTTP (Webkit based), FISH, man page browsing, etc. Massively customisable to look like whatever you want, from a tabbed-finder style to a Windows Explorer heirarchical list style, or both at once. Fully spring-loaded and drag and drop, and with tabs, which are an even greater boon to file management than to web browsing.

The Finder just isn't very good. Typical situation - you want to move a file from a subdirectory into its parent directory. How do you do it? Choices appear to be to switch to Column View (which I loathe, scrollbar hell), open another finder and navigate to the required folder and drag and drop, or grab the icon and use spring-loaded folders to navigate through to the required folder, which is a pain.

How often have you double-clicked on a downloaded disk image, to presented with an icon which you need to drag to Applications to install? As the DMG is a special finder Window, there's no sidebar which rules out drag and drop, so you click on the Finder Icon in the Dock, which just re-selects the same bloody finder Window. So you hit Apple-N, drag and drop, curse, and repeat this the next time it happens.

Problems after Mac updates - I have never had one, ever, and my first one was 10.3.3. Most Mac users have their own combination of cargo-cult rituals which they follow for successful update, but the one point just about every experienced user agrees with is this: for a point release (e.g. 10.5.3), always download/install the Combo Update from Apple's website, rather than the Delta Update that Software Update pushes at you.

The Delta Update attempts to patch existing files to bring them up to date, while the Combo Update simply replaces them outright with known good copies. As well as being far more reliable, re-running the combo update can (apparently) often fix other problems. If you've got problems after installing the Delta, try installing the Combo over the top - might fix it.

Although for power issues, an SMC reset normally fixes everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 17:37 
making out to faces of death

I usually use my windows laptop at this time of day (indoors anyway), but Vista is doing its random hilarious thing of completely refusing to see my wireless network no matter what I do.

The Mac never has this problem. Yay mac!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 16:57 
Unpossible!

Can anyone recommend any good games/software for a circa 2006 PowerPC G5 iMac running 10.5?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 16:59 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
Can anyone recommend any good games/software for a circa 2006 PowerPC G5 iMac running 10.5?

I think they made GTA San Andreas for the G5. Don't quote me on that though I've only played it on an Intel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 17:22 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

DavPaz wrote:

MAME

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 17:57 
Unpossible!

zaphod79 wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

MAME

NATCH.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:28 

I've still got a 2003 PowerBook G4 at home which I used to play The Movies on a fair bit. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 
Unpossible!

Zio wrote:
I've still got a 2003 PowerBook G4 at home which I used to play The Movies on a fair bit. :)

I remember that game coming out. Another Molyneux over-promise :D

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3