All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: The Last Of Us
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 17:53 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
I did this on hard because I'm NAILS.

I don't know why, to be honest.

I've done it on Hard too. Was actually really fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 18:03 
Bad Girl

I finished it on Grounded difficulty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:23 
Hello Hello Hello

This game proper creeped me out last night, I love it and it's awesome but the whole world is so oppressive and brutal that it really gets under my skin.

I can do about 60-90 minutes at a time and then I have to turn it off and play something else.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 21:57 
Hello Hello Hello

All finished!

As you can see I didn't exactly charge through it, I feel it's a game to be savoured and experienced fully, and I had to be in the right headspace to play it, some nights I just didn't feel like it.

It's a solid 9/10 I'd say. In pure game mechanic terms it's not particularly revolutionary, but the world it creates, the story, the characters - are what gives it its greatness.

Could have done with a little bit of tightening up here and there, and falls back on a few familiar videogame tropes from time to time - but overall, fantastic game.

Ending's a bit of a suckerpunch though:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Joel basically condemns all of humanity for his own selfish reasons, and then lies in Ellie's face when she asks him if he's telling the truth about other immune survivors. THE END.

Then again, Joel isn't really a 'good guy', which is made very clear all the way through.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 23:45 
Rude Belittler

My thoughts on the spoiler above:

Yes, Joel is kind of a prick at the end, but its also justified by the Fireflies clearly having no clue what they're doing. They've been disecting immune humans for a while, and have zero results to show for it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
My thoughts on the spoiler above:

Yes, Joel is kind of a prick at the end, but its also justified by the Fireflies clearly having no clue what they're doing. They've been disecting immune humans for a while, and have zero results to show for it.

I'm not 100% sure about that.

I found the audio recordings up on the top floor of the hospital left by Marlene, and listened to the dialogue in the cutscenes. Doesn't she say explicitly at one point 'there is no one else'?

The other audio recordings seem to back this up, (there's one from the surgeon), and say that they've been doing experiments on normal infected and got nowhere, but Ellie is the first immune person they've had and she changes everything?

Doesn't the surgeon's recording say something like 'Her immunity is like nothing we've ever seen before?

I was definitely left with the impression that Ellie represented a better chance than they'd seen previously, and that Joel knew this, but still acted as he did, effectively putting his own selfish need above, y'know, the rest of humanity.

Also, Ellie expressed clear survivor's guilt once she came round after Joel had rescued her from the hospital, and obviously doubted Joel's explanation, plus told her little story about her friends dying which suggests very clearly she'd have sacrificed herself if it would have led to a cure, or at least a good chance of finding one. (Marlene explicitly says to Joel, 'You're doing this for yourself', doesn't she?)

Also, it'd be quite hard to identify immune people, because generally speaking they'd be killed by other humans after they'd been bitten, to stop them turning and attacking - so finding a decent 'supply' of immune humans seems unlikely.

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:18 
Hello Hello Hello

Ahhhh right here's a transcript of the surgeon's recorder, and this ties in with everything else.

Ellie is the only immune person known thus far, and certainly the only one the Fireflies have had access to.

That's certainly how it all hangs together to me, and really, is what gives the ending and Joel's lie its weight and poignancy.

------------

"April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients. We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back in control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:27 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I should retry this at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:03 
Hello Hello Hello

I made a video about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 
Hello Hello Hello

I've been playing the Left Behind DLC the last couple of nights, cor, that's good innit!

I am so stoked for The Last Of Us 2. (In a way that I'm totally not stoked for RDR2.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:34 
Hibernating Druid

Hearthly wrote:
I've been playing the Left Behind DLC the last couple of nights, cor, that's good innit!

Yep!

Hearthly wrote:
I am so stoked for The Last Of Us 2. (In a way that I'm totally not stoked for RDR2.)

:this: :this: :this:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 21:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Finished the Left Behind DLC just now - a wonderful addition to the main game, perfectly paced, and just about exactly the right duration.

I'd have to find a slot for this game and its DLC in my All Time Top Ten Videogames list, it's really that good.

Roll on the sequel, can't wait.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Y'know, I found this game and its DLC genuinely affecting.

This video is great. (I went on a little Google-o-thon last night after finishing the DLC.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 
Bad Girl

Urgh, some of these sentimental, verging on sanctimonious, analysis’ are so tired and worn. “Photographs are an attempt to capture the past...” must have been copied from some GCSE textbook.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 13:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Your happiness is infectious.

I thought it was quite a nice analysis, and the parallels with Children of Men were interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 14:07 
Hibernating Druid

Hearthly wrote:
Your happiness is infectious.
:D

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:43 
Hello Hello Hello

So I have bought the PS5 remake of this, I wanted to play through it again after watching the magnificent HBO TV series. I fired it up on the PS4 Pro and it still looks fine, but I knew the PS5 version existed and everything I'd read/watched about it said Naughty Dog did a magnificent job on it, so I took the plunge on a PS5 and the £69.99p (!!!) Sony are charging for the game.

And it's totally worth it.

For starters you get all the accessibility stuff Naughty Dog did in TLOU2, I'm a bit shit with a pad and I don't think TLOU is really the best game of all time ever anyway, it's far more about the world and the characters and the story, so I was able to customise the game to play exactly how I want it, which is great.

And then there's the graphics, this is not just a spit and shine job, it's a total remake and it looks utterly and completely amazing, on several occasions I have found myself standing still and simply looking around at the world, it's incredible.

The audio mix is a lot more sophisticated too, I've got a 5:1 setup on the big telly and it's stunningly immersive, the clickers are terrifying.

They've done a fine job with all the haptic stuff on the PS5's pad too.

They haven't messed around with the actual game much at all, so all the puzzles are still there, moving dumpsters and ladders around and whatnot, but there is an option you can toggle on that lets you skip them if you want.

There are a couple of good videos about it here, the NoClip documentary in particular was what tipped me over the edge, you can see the massive amount of love and care than went into the remake.

Also, the PS4 Pro was a fucking noisy bastard, the fan noise was awful and intrusive, there's none of that with the PS5.

So yeah, it's not cheap, but if you loved TLOU, and perhaps have enjoyed the TV series and want to experience the game again, this is the best way you can do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Hearthly wrote:
Finished the Left Behind DLC just now - a wonderful addition to the main game, perfectly paced, and just about exactly the right duration.

I'd have to find a slot for this game and its DLC in my All Time Top Ten Videogames list, it's really that good.

Roll on the sequel, can't wait.

That hasn't aged well though.

Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8