Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xbox reveal today!
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 0:18 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Well i've caught up with the reveal and i'll read some of the other stuff posted later but its a bit meh for me all in

All the TV stuff looked very US focused (oh look its CBS - that does not exist here) - oh its ESPN i dont care about sport , oh its the NFL , oh you can do fantasy football and use skype to wind up people .... after all the bad press XBL gets for people being dicks to each other online thats something you want to call out for your new system ..... really ?

I dont mind the gestures and quick switching but if i'm at home and wanting to play on the console I dont want to have to talk to it and the distance between my TV and my couch is not big enough for a Kinect 1 and maybe the same for Kinect 2 so all that stuff is all probably useless to me.

Interesting to see that it does have a Blueray drive , the larger controller may be okay but it will depend on how it feels , and the rumbles in the triggers I guess could be used for shooters or driving games ?

Smartglass is an interesting idea but you've had it for a year and apart from a GPS unit for Forza has anything actually used it ?

TV stuff - I dont care if your doing a life action Halo thing , it may be good it may be shit but i dont get why its tied to your new console launch

Games all looked cutsceney rather than in game (apart from COD) - Forza looked like a shiny new Forza , that Quantum break thing was a very very short teaser and didnt really look that special (its just a cut scene) - EA sports stuff I dont care about but yes the graphics look nice - and then COD looks like a shiny new COD - "oh the fish swim out of your way" - so what ?

The idea that there are 15 new Microsoft Studio titles coming is good , and that 8 are brand new franchises also sounds good but until you know what they are it could all be stupid kinect party game stuff - I guess we'll wait for E3

I've not ready your post yet Doc , but backward compatibility doesnt bother me (and Chinny you can play *some* original Xbox games on the Xbox 360 but its a very limited number) - the 'used game' stuff does worry me but I'll hold off on that until there is more info - but if it really is 'buy it and you cant resell it on' or 'no used games' then that is probably enough to make the PS4 my 'first' choice console for this gen

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 0:27 
Chinny chin chin

Another picture of the cutting edge design of the new Xbox.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 0:37 
Paws for thought

zaphod79 wrote:
Interesting to see that it does have a Blueray drive , the larger controller may be okay but it will depend on how it feels , and the rumbles in the triggers I guess could be used for shooters or driving games ?

I read it was force feedback triggers, which is something quite different from rumble.

Not that it would particularly sell me on the console. That requires enough decent games to outweigh all the shit that seems to be associated.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 
8-Bit Champion

FYI from what i can see of companies who kicked off pre-orders after the event £400 seems to be their guess at a starting price

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:54 
8-Bit Champion

I'm wondering if i'm missing the point on this but - Doc - regarding 'input 1'

I've heard this complaint on a number of American podcast that its very difficult to switch between all the different inputs on their TV's and that the actions prohibit people from using systems other than the one they are currently on (e.g. people on their gaming console using it for things which are available on other devices) but I dont really understand it.

When i had all my stuff clagged up to the TV I had 3 choices to move stations , since I could get standard TV over the air i could hit up or down on the channel switch , I could press source and then hit up or down for digital TV , or hit source and select my 360 , my PS3 , or my DVR

For the first 2 I could use my TV remote to change stations or settings , for the 360 I had a cheap crappy little remote or could use a normal controller to move around (since upgraded to their media remote which works the TV as well) , and the PS3 / DVR had their own remote

All seemed pretty logical and easy to do - whats the issue with why which one is in which position , or is there some other weird setup in the US which stops this from working in the same way ?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:30 
Excellent Member

I can’t see this working that well for a family, my brother has 2 kids 8 and 11. In this scenario the whole family would have to set up Live accounts to voice control the Xbox One so that they could say “TV on” or whatever?

Then I’m not sure my brother would want his 8 year old seeing what the rest of the Live Community were watching or playing as some of it could be inappropriate for her

Also wonder if the seamless control works with older TV's

I did really like what they showed, but give the mess MS have made of Windows 8 you have to wonder if this will work as a selling point.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 
8-Bit Champion

asfish wrote:
Also wonder if the seamless control works with older TV's

There is some type of IR out on it .

Also on the reveal when they show the COD dog and say its unlike any other I was waiting for it to open its mouth and bees to shoot out :-)

Listened to about 90 minutes of the Bombcast on the way into work and the stuff they covered :

1) Originally they thought it was force feedback on the triggers but it was later confirmed that its just rumble
2) Friends list goes up to 1000
3) "always on" - the box *needs* to check in every 24 hours otherwise stuff wont work (I really dislike this despite the fact that my console is pretty much always wired up if something goes wrong why cant I play my games offline)
4) The whole used game stuff seems very unclear at the moment and they said they have had different people at Microsoft giving them conflicting answers
5) There is an IR port on the pads which is how Kinect tracks them
6) Kinect *has* to be connected for the system to work and its better with space but still needs a reasonable amount which again probably rules it out for me or anyone else with limited space between the TV and the couch
7) Gamerscore and achievements will carry over to the new system
8) 500GB hard drive included but you can add USB hard drives to it , and it seems only 3 USB ports (one side 2 rear)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:16 
Unpossible!

All I want to know is: Are the avatars more detailed? Can I buy a pair of Gucci Wellies for my avatar? Will the avatars answer me when I speak to them?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:21 
Gogmagog

I can't see the EU looking kindly on the used game thing. There was a case recently about someone selling licences they had bought but were not suing and the publiher wasn't happy, but the court slapped them down. I'll dig it out later. other than that, I want to see what games each has. I think it is fair that both the PS4 and The One will have iPlayer and netflix and things, and that's all I really want.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:29 
8-Bit Champion

MaliA wrote:
I want to see what games each has.

Both have said they will show more games stuff at E3 (18 days away) and Microsoft also said they will talk more about the 360 at that time - the expectation seems to be a smaller / cheaper 360 which they will continue to support for a time which will basically be an AppleTV alike so you can use it for netflix / whatever

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:29 

MaliA wrote:
I can't see the EU looking kindly on the used game thing. There was a case recently about someone selling licences they had bought but were not suing and the publiher wasn't happy, but the court slapped them down. I'll dig it out later. other than that, I want to see what games each has. I think it is fair that both the PS4 and The One will have iPlayer and netflix and things, and that's all I really want.
You can't resell things you buy on iTunes or ebooks bought from Amazon. Does that fact that it is sold on a physical disc hold some legal significance?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
MaliA wrote:
You can't resell things you buy on iTunes or ebooks bought from Amazon. Does that fact that it is sold on a physical disc hold some legal significance?

No, this was a downloadable program. basically, Company A bought a load of licences from Company B then sold them to suers. users downloaded teh software from company B's website, then a ctivated the product using the licences bought from Company A. Arguments ensued.

news report

Better thingy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

MaliA wrote:

I very much doubt that Microsoft have considered the EU potential response much. They don't appear to have considered their non-US customer much either.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:46 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I very much doubt that Microsoft have considered the EU potential response much. They don't appear to have considered their non-US customer much either.

They can turn to the game publishers and say "Look, we tried, OK? Those stinking EU laws, now make more games." and then blame the lack of games on the EU. Or something similar.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 

zaphod79 wrote:
3) "always on" - the box *needs* to check in every 24 hours otherwise stuff wont work (I really dislike this despite the fact that my console is pretty much always wired up if something goes wrong why cant I play my games offline)
This is a rational response. I've had friends move house and been without internet for a few weeks, and I have another friend who used to spend several days at a time away from home with work -- he'd sometimes take his 360 to use in hotel rooms, but had no internet access there of course. These types of scenarios aren't that uncommon.[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:59 

MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No, this was a downloadable program. basically, Company A bought a load of licences from Company B then sold them to suers. users downloaded teh software from company B's website, then a ctivated the product using the licences bought from Company A. Arguments ensued.

news report

Better thingy

That all reads like they are still in the process of making it up as they go along.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:
MaliA wrote:

news report

Better thingy

That all reads like they are still in the process of making it up as they go along.

More things. I suppose that this
Quote:
"an original acquirer of a tangible or intangible copy of a
computer program for which the copyright holder’s right of distribution is exhausted must make
the copy downloaded onto his own computer unusable at the time of resale. If he continued
to use it, he would infringe the copyright holder’s exclusive right of reproduction of his computer
program. In contrast to the exclusive right of distribution, the exclusive right of reproduction is not
exhausted by the first sale."
could be used as a work around if you cynically coded soemthing in such a fashion.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:44 
Excellent Member

I think Microsoft is either downplaying the consumer wishes or they think they're in a much better position that they actually are.

Both after the PS4 and the XB1 announcements barely anyone talked about the technical specs. We've got to the point were must of us say "it's good enough". It's the other details that make the difference. People play on consoles because of convinience and not because of price (pc gaming is definitely cheaper nowadays) and microsoft is gambling big on the consumer motivations.

1-The higher price tag of console games was kind of justified for some people because of the selling back value.

2-Even if some of us think Backwards compatibility is no big thing, people in their mid 25 and younger grew on the PS1 and PS2 and also Wii and are kind of used to it.

3-Even if you say that BC is kind of hard, that doesn't matter much to most users. My PC has BC with almost every game ever released. Either with Dosbox, messing with the settings, emulators, or just playing out of the box.

4-Those old consoles didn't have BC, but i bet most of them still work today. My game boy, game gear and master system are fine but i really doubt the same can be said of most x360's in 20 years.

There was much negativity towards this console after the "deal with it" fiasco, and microsoft presentation did nothing to gain the consumers trust.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:45 
Chinny chin chin

Just watched this:

http://kotaku.com/the-entire-xbox-one-reveal-summed-up-in-1-5-hilarious-509197649

From what I can make out they are making a game called "Call of Doody" which the primary selling point of which is that you have a dog. Like Shadow Dancer but with 200 people working on a 3D model.

[slaps forehead]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Just watched this:

http://kotaku.com/the-entire-xbox-one-reveal-summed-up-in-1-5-hilarious-509197649

From what I can make out they are making a game called "Call of Doody" which the primary selling point of which is that you have a dog. Like Shadow Dancer but with 200 people working on a 3D model.

[slaps forehead]

And you can caress your dog and bag its turds with kinect i bet.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

A bit more detail on the install and fee business

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-t ... -509140825

Quote:
Xbox One games will require a one-time activation code to use, but you'll still be able to trade and sell them online, Microsoft tells Kotaku—although we're not 100% clear on the details.

Speaking to us at the big event in Redmond today, Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison clarified a couple of details about the system's used game policy and explained that there will be a solution for people who want to trade games with their friends.

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

The Xbox exec wouldn't give further details on how this system will work, but we're assuming that once you're done with a game, you can trade the code online and it will be erased from your machine. But what will you get? Other games? Microsoft Points?

No matter how the final system works, it is not likely to please GameStop, the world's biggest buyer and seller of used video games, but it could be a tantalizing way to share games with your friends in the virtual space.

Update - Microsoft's Larry Hryb has issued the following clarification:

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.
What this means is that if you take a game to a friend's house and try to play the game on their system using their account, you'll need to pay. If you take it to their house and try to play it on their system using your account, you won't need to pay.

In other words: playing while you're there is free. If you want to lend it to them for a few days/weeks? They'll have to pay.

Hmmm.... Basically it is a download only account linked model, but with the ability to buy a preloaded disk.
I don't mind that shit on Steam and PS+, but that is due to it being cheap as chips. For full price games? I'm not so sure.

I'll be very interested to hear how much it will cost to sell your licence when they get that up and running, and how much you can sell it for.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:53 

Trooper wrote:

Except Microsoft PR is trying to roll back Phil Harrison's comments. What the fuck is going on?
Quote:

Reports of Xbox One's online requirements and used-game fees are no more than "potential scenarios" and not concrete details, Microsoft told Polygon via email.

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," Microsoft told Polygon.

Initial news from Wired stated that those with second-hand or used games would be required to pay a small fee before being able to play.

Additionally, Kotaku spoke with vice president Phil Harrison during today's event, where Harrison told the publication that users would need to connect to the internet every day. Microsoft could not confirm these details.

"There have been reports of a specific time period — those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be," Microsoft said.

Microsoft said earlier today that Xbox One would not require an always on internet connection. The statement is echoed on Microsoft's Q&A page, which says that the Xbox One does require a connection, but does not always have to be connected.

"We're designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready," the post reads. "We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection."

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Reading between the lines a bit - are you going to need to put the disk in after the initial install?

[edit]@Trooper, although that may not matter now.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 

No. That's one thing that seems to be clear. The disc is really just a download shortcut, with everything post-install happening via semi-online authentication rather than the "physical DRM" that is disc ownership. This implies (but the picture is fuzzy on details) no game rentals, no game lending, no play with prolonged periods with an internet connection, and no preowned.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 
SavyGamer

I thought this reveal was a load of bollocks. The (rather weak) PS4 reveal was loads better.

I mostly play games on my PC, although I reckon I will get a PS4 or an Xbox One at release. Not decided which yet, but leaning to PS4.

Edit: Microsoft will almost certainly set up some sort of deal with the likes of Blockbuster and Lovefilm to support a rental model, and the likes of GAME and Gamestop to support their tradein model, almost certainly taking a cut and driving up prices in the process.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

And how long will it take to fill a 500gb harddrive? That's a concern if there's mandatory installs.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If this turns out to be true, then it's just about perfect as far as I'm concerned:
Quote:
"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," Harrison explained.

"At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your own profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I guess it begs the question, though - why the fuck am I bothering with a disc?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 
Master of dodgy spelling....

That is not great, if you have a few consoles in a house.

but then again, if I wanted to play against some one in the house, we both needed to buy the game anyway

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 

Grim... wrote:
If this turns out to be true, then it's just about perfect as far as I'm concerned:
See my link above. Microsoft PR has now described this as hypothetical only.

It's not perfect for you. You wouldn't have been able to borrow Sleeping Dogs from Craster.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 
SavyGamer

TheVision wrote:
And how long will it take to fill a 500gb harddrive? That's a concern if there's mandatory installs.

Apparently you can't replace the drive, but you can expand it with USB storage.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:06 
Chinny chin chin

RuySan wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Just watched this:

[slaps forehead]

How is Kinect even going to work anyway? I sit down playing my games in a small room. I don't want to be waving around doing Street Fighter 2 style moves just to get to the games menu. Kinect only comes into its own if you have projector and a huge room IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
See my link above.
Hence "turns out to be true".

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Microsoft PR has now described this as hypothetical only.
It's not perfect for you. You wouldn't have been able to borrow Sleeping Dogs from Craster.
That's the first game I've borrowed in about ten years though, in fairness ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 
Sleepyhead

Way to be clear, Microsoft!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Except Microsoft PR is trying to roll back Phil Harrison's comments. What the fuck is going on?

:D

I expect Phil Harrison is 90% correct on what it does, with some minor changes to implementation detail, they just didn't want the info released yet.

It is either amateur hour, or a blatant attempt to confuse the market so nobody actually knows how it works until they buy one, and then it doesn't matter to MS...
I suspect the former.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

chinnyhill10 wrote:
RuySan wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Just watched this:

[slaps forehead]

How is Kinect even going to work anyway? I sit down playing my games in a small room. I don't want to be waving around doing Street Fighter 2 style moves just to get to the games menu. Kinect only comes into its own if you have projector and a huge room IMO.

Kinect is also the conduit for all the voice control business. So you can shout at your TV instead of waving your arms about, as everybody wants to do that rather than press a button.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:12 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
No. That's one thing that seems to be clear. The disc is really just a download shortcut, with everything post-install happening via semi-online authentication rather than the "physical DRM" that is disc ownership. This implies (but the picture is fuzzy on details) no game rentals, no game lending, no play with prolonged periods with an internet connection, and no preowned.

As Trooper has said, if this were the case, and games were £10, I don't think I'd be too bothered.

As it stands, I'm not convinced it'll work in the EU, and the games'll be £25+, I'm decidedly less interested in it. I think it's cynical for publishers to get a double dip here.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:19 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

As Trooper has said, if this were the case, and games were £10, I don't think I'd be too bothered.

They won't be though will they? They'll be at the shop RRP just like they are at the moment so basically it ends up being cheaper to get it at Tesco than download it.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:20 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
I guess it begs the question, though - why the fuck am I bothering with a disc?

To save you a potentially huge download before you can play your game. Not a problem for you or me necessarily but a deal-breaker for people with slow download speeds and/or capped internet packages.

Oh, also, you might be able to pick up a disc copy from somewhere cheaper than MS are offering the game for on their online store. Doing away with discs entirely would see MS completely in control of the prices for all games for the console, which isn't a comforting idea.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

They won't be though will they? They'll be at the shop RRP just like they are at the moment so basically it ends up being cheaper to get it at Tesco than download it.

That's exactly the point. I don't mind an account linked download model if the games are cheap, but they won't be, so I do mind.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Curiosity wrote:
Way to be clear, Microsoft!

With this in mind, let's not forget that the console is only a day away from being announced. There's tons of stuff that they didn't mention and they're all going to irrelevant points anyway because Microsoft aren't asking anyone to part with their cash straight away.

There's plenty of time for more news to come out and there will be plenty of opportunity to make a decision on which console suits you best in the coming months.

Overall, I thought that the presentation showed promise.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 
Sitting balls-back folder

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I dunno, maybe they're going to do a proper digital trading system - resellers like Tesco can buy codes en masse and sell them on individually, maybe even in-store by printing them on a receipt.

Yeah, I know.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Oh, the other thing, if it does turn out that you can sell your digital games from your account, and get cash back for them, that'll be fun when your account gets hacked...
Do you trust MS to be able to run a secure service? They won't even admit that they currently have security holes.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:36 
SavyGamer

Microsoft are maneuvering in a way that it seems like they are seeking to gain control over pricing, and will almost certainly result in higher software prices across the board for the Xbox One.

A tax on preowned games (whether it is the end user or a reseller that is paying it) will drive up preowned prices, and this will in turn drive up new games prices. Mostly likely not in terms of an increase in RRP for games, but in that retailers will discount them less and more gradually.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 

LewieP wrote:
A tax on preowned games (whether it is the end user or a reseller that is paying it) will drive up preowned prices, and this will in turn drive up new games prices. Mostly likely not in terms of an increase in RRP for games, but in that retailers will discount them less and more gradually.
As a counter-argument to this, Steam has no preowned games reselling at all, and yet prices are lower -- often much lower -- than for consoles.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - game prices haven't changed since the cartridge consoles came out - SFII was £60 for the SNES on release.

The cost of making games has gone through the roof, however. Sure, they sell more nowadays (although not as many as you'd think, unless it's Call of Duty), but gaming is stupidly cheap compared to not only itself in the past, but other forms of media (assuming you don't steal them).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 

SFII is a poor example, as it was unusually expensive.

To be fairer, consider that Xbox 360 games have been £40 through the entire cycle -- inflation alone across seven years means they should be £45 now, just to cost the same. This is probably why some of the very newest releases have crept up to £43 lately.

As for the "numbers of games sold", this generation hasn't sold that many more consoles than the sixth generation, and even as far back as the fourth the total number of consoles sold has only about doubled. The cost to make a game has increased something like tenfold or more in the same period. So "they sell more games to make up for it" isn't true.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Maybe I should calibrate my display. I thought Magnavox were doing incredibly well this generation...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:03 
Excellently Membered

I think buying new should be a similar experience. Buying second hand I feel they want to offer the same but with some control over resale and lending. I.E. having the disc alone doesn't mean you actually own the game.

Essentially it's probably what we all feared for 2nd hand gaming. Perhaps though this shows they want to handle things as softly as possible by opening it to re-sellers but either way we'll have to pay the IP holder and the re-seller some cash. It will still require management via Microsoft/Publisher and a deal with the stores to dish out new codes but should at least mean we get similar offerings/deals. The price drops/discounts for 2nd hand will have the option of being managed through MS/Publishers and not via the stores directly. It might only be a small percentage of the overall cost gets transferred to MS/Publishers and it might also mean the game has to be installed via disc to stop day one 2nd hand games. But the downside is I can't see the stores wanting to take the hit on their own profits going to MS for 2nd hand games. So it's likely everything is going to be more expensive... but hopefully not too much.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:04 
Isn't that lovely?

A thought occurs to me:

At the moment I have netflix and sky on my profile on the 360, the kids have their own profiles, but use my profile to watch stuff on netflix and sky.

If xbox one can recognise who is holding the controller and log them in, will they be able to watch netflix and sky on my profile?

Malc

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next