Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 19:14 
Time Out for Fun

How many of the 15 first party games did we actually see there? I was really hoping for a new crackdown.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 20:33 

Dr Lave wrote:
£429.

Below looked awesome.

Neogaf's CBOAT seemed spot on. Which means the DRM being worse than it seems will be true too. Yay.

No Mirror's Edge. Bittersweet.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mirror's Edge 2 wasn't going to be an Xbone exclusive (not that that necessarily makes it true).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 20:36 
I forgot about this - how vain

Please! Please for the love of fuck! SAY IT IS SO!

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 20:37 
Time Out for Fun

Joans wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:
£429.

Below looked awesome.

Neogaf's CBOAT seemed spot on. Which means the DRM being worse than it seems will be true too. Yay.

No Mirror's Edge. Bittersweet.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mirror's Edge 2 wasn't going to be an Xbone exclusive (not that that necessarily makes it true).

EA presentation in 25 minutes. Hopefully that'll make the hour show bearable. Well if they announce it, and an announcement bringing back all the bullfrog games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 20:41 
Time Out for Fun

Quote:
Microsoft has now detailed the limited Day One Edition of Xbox One, available for those who reserve the system at participating retailers.

You'll get a limited edition Xbox One Day One branded controller, and a unique commemorative Day One Achievement, plus in-game DLC for a number of launch titles.

In Ryse: Son of Rome you'll get an exclusive multiplayer map and sword with bonus attributes. For Forza Motorsport 5 you get access to four cars tuned to the top of their class. In Kinect Sports Rivals you get exclusive sporting equipment and in Dead Rising 3 you'll get exclusive Frank West and Chuck Greene Tribute Packs with bonus attributes.

Xbox Live Gold will remain a subscription service, priced the same each month, although you will now get two free games a month on Xbox 360.

Still can't get over them offering 2 old ass games when Sony having been giving away titles barely even 6 months old away on their service.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 20:43 
Time Out for Fun

Also surprised by the total lack of kinect stuff, although isn't Crimson Dragon one.

Could you not do Kinect stuff whilst holding the controller? Playing a cover shooter and leaning left and right to look around corners and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 21:04 
Bad Girl

I've a feeling that Kinect stuff will be more subtly integrated this time around and rather than there being standalone games (although they'll be the same 'family' guys stuffed in our eye holes for the first twelve months) you'll find every game has a movement or voice command crowbarred into it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 21:41 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Runcle wrote:
Quote:
Microsoft has now detailed the limited Day One Edition of Xbox One, available for those who reserve the system at participating retailers.

You'll get a limited edition Xbox One Day One branded controller, and a unique commemorative Day One Achievement, plus in-game DLC for a number of launch titles.

In Ryse: Son of Rome you'll get an exclusive multiplayer map and sword with bonus attributes. For Forza Motorsport 5 you get access to four cars tuned to the top of their class. In Kinect Sports Rivals you get exclusive sporting equipment and in Dead Rising 3 you'll get exclusive Frank West and Chuck Greene Tribute Packs with bonus attributes.

Xbox Live Gold will remain a subscription service, priced the same each month, although you will now get two free games a month on Xbox 360.

Still can't get over them offering 2 old ass games when Sony having been giving away titles barely even 6 months old away on their service.

Just got the live stream working (but the sound is way out of sync) and got to that bit - what they actually said was between July and the Xbox one's launch so its 5 months 'tops' so they are giving away a maximum of 10 titles.

I know not great comparisons but the two titles they said were Ass crud2 and Halo3 - both are between £3 and £4 at amazon (including postage) whereas PSN this months titles are
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning , ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Classics HD , Demon's Souls , Uncharted 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, LittleBigPlanet Karting, and Machinarium.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 22:15 

Dr Lave wrote:
Please! Please for the love of fuck! SAY IT IS SO!

XBone, PS4 and PC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 23:24 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
On the PSN store you've got to bugger about with category filters and even then it's not very clear what's a full download and what's got a demo version.

When the PSN stuff is still harder to deal with despite a recent redesign and even with all the adverts MS have crammed into the Xbox dash that's a red flag that your shit needs sorted.

Just noticed that on the very first menu is "PS3 demos".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:42 
8-Bit Champion

I'm just going to post this one slide here from the Sony conference

And no slide for it but

Quote:

if you enjoy playing single player games on line PS4 won't require to to check in periodically
in addition, Play station games dont need to be connected online to play
and it wont stop working if you haven't checked in in 24 hours"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 

So PS4 is £349 at launch.
PS+ now needed for multiplayer (but still gives games, inc ps4 ones)
But none of the Xbox Drm bullshit

We have a winner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 
Gogmagog

Hello sony!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:03 
8-Bit Champion

Just look at the smile on this mans face

After virtually every line he says he has to stop for a minute for the crowd to let him continue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:31 

I fucking hate journalists cheering, but after the risk of the hobby getting fucked I'll let that time slide.

Thank fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:32 
EvilTrousers

zaphod79 wrote:

It's brilliant that you can essentially "win" E3 by saying "We're NOT going to fuck you with a rusty trowel".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:41 
Sleepyhead

Sony must think they're living in some kind of beautiful dream at the moment. They clearly can't believe their luck at how much Microsoft have screwed up.

I wonder if there might be a hasty U-Turn by MS? At the moment, it's not even close.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:44 

Trousers wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

It's brilliant that you can essentially "win" E3 by saying "We're NOT going to fuck you with a rusty trowel".

Very, very true.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:47 
STOP BEING SO SHIT

I was a bit gutted to see Dead Rising 3 an Xbox exclusive, not surprised, considering it's history, but still a little sad.

...But considering how un-Dead Rising the demo gameplay looked, with it's grimdark-brownshooter graphical style, and the fact it's apparently set 10 years after the last one (saying "fuck it" to the cliffhanger they set up in Case: West), I don't think I give a shit any more.

(And I really fucking loved Dead Rising, despite hating pretty much every other zombie game.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 

Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 
Excellent Member

Dr Lave wrote:
Ha!

Heh, that's excellent stuff. I never usually get a console at launch and wasn't intending to this time around either but the temptation to send a message to MS by picking up a PS4 is strong.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 
Unpossible!

Surely there has to be some kind of climbdown my MS after this trainwreck. As it stands, they're going to get utterly shafted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:49 
Sitting balls-back folder

If EA decide that PS4 versions cost a tenner more and require Online Passes to use second-hand that might rebalance things a bit.

£80 is a bit of a gap mind - which MS can easily close by bundling a year of Gold and a couple of first-party launch titles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:50 
Bad Girl

If Microsoft want to get back in the game they've got to announce a much cheaper full-price game price point. £20 perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 

Trousers wrote:
:this: too.

That Buttocks fellow seems to have been largely on the money with what was announced, which doesn't look good for the remaining DRM bits that MS still need to clarify. I expect they're still in the "Unfucking the cluster" meeting about that though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 

Trousers wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Indeed, where the fuck are the games? End of the year isn't very far away in development terms is it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:01 
Excellent Member

So do people think that the Xbox1 is worth the extra $100 along with the pre owned games restrictions?

It still appears to do a lot more that just play games.

Not sure people will want the NSA looking at their gaming habits now though :DD

Not sure what I will get, I have WII and 360 now but never went for a PS3, was thinking about getting one for the Blu Ray, but might hang on for this new consoles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 

If I had to pick one I'd said PS4, but I'm still not planning on any.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:18 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

asfish wrote:

Not sure what I will get, I have WII and 360 now but never went for a PS3, was thinking about getting one for the Blu Ray, but might hang on for this new consoles.

I jumped into this party late, and when 360 as everyone I knew who had a console had a 360 at that time. However, I always wanted a PS3 for the Blu Ray.

To be honest however, the 360 has been turned on once in 6 months. That's not from a lack of games or bezzies, but just not having wanted to play games in that time. So it won't currently be a day 1 purchase (although £350 is a sweetspot price...)

In response to my thoughts yesterday, I really didn't think Microsoft could be that naive, or arrogant, to take their route alone. I'm amazed that there is no evidence to support that any aspect of that thinking was correct after the presentations.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
In response to my thoughts yesterday, I really didn't think Microsoft could be that naive, or arrogant, to take their route alone. I'm amazed that there is no evidence to support that any aspect of that thinking was correct after the presentations.
As someone who's watched Microsoft corporate culture from the outside for twenty years, I find it perfectly credible it could be that arrogant. It really is a weird corporate culture.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:31 

Xbox: Some DRM, some people went for it.
Xbox360: More DRM, many more people went for it.

Logical conclusion:

XbobOne: ALL THE DRM, ALL THE PEOPLE.
Reality: Hello, is that Gripper Sont?

Of course, the CODers will buy it so they can COD with the other CODers they COD with already, and they won't care because COD (well, not until they realise they can't trade in for half-price NEW COD). Which is fine, because that means fewer teenage Americans shouting obscenities on PS4.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 

BikNorton wrote:
Of course, the CODers will buy it so they can COD with the other CODers they COD with already, and they won't care because COD (well, not until they realise they can't trade in for half-price NEW COD). Which is fine, because that means fewer teenage Americans shouting obscenities on PS4.
CoD is also for PS4. Network effects cut both ways. If enough CoDders get PS4s, the rest will follow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:37 
Excellent Member

Don't you also get the Kinect with the Xbox One? Sure MS will be releasing a bundle with no Kinect around the same price as the PS4?

I already have one so unless the Xbox One Kinect is much better I wouldn't want another.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:37 

Mm, but Live did it so much better, and so they already have Gold accounts stuffed with CODchums that would be a hassle to move over and cancel. Besides, they've spent 5 years decrying Sony as being for GAYL0SERFAGSLOL! which would mean they have to buy dresses if they switch, or something.

I dunno man, it's teenagers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 

asfish wrote:
Don't you also get the Kinect with the Xbox One? Sure MS will be releasing a bundle with no Kinect around the same price as the PS4?
Yes. No. Kinect v2 is mandatory, has to be present and plugged in at all times.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Can someone explain the "log in every 24 hours thing" to me? I'm struggling to see the reason behind needing to do that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:40 
8-Bit Champion

markg wrote:
Indeed, where the fuck are the games? End of the year isn't very far away in development terms is
it?

I've not watched the PS4 presentation yet (and i wont really get a chance to until tonight) but there were plenty of games mentioned during the presentation and virtually all of the 3rd party stuff at Microsoft is multi platform so just watch their trailer for MGS5 or Battlefield 4

On the COD side , Xbox having 30 days exclusivity might be enough to make some of the COD fanatics go that way but if enough people switch to PS4 then expect them to be there as well - no details if either of them include headsets in the box (which was seen as one of the ways Microsoft got more people talking on Live)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:41 

TheVision wrote:
Can someone explain the "log in every 24 hours thing" to me? I'm struggling to see the reason behind needing to do that?
To see if your games need to be deleted yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:41 
8-Bit Champion

TheVision wrote:

To prove you've not got pirated stuff on your system and that you've not sold off your games to an 'approved' vendor , its only purpose is DRM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:43 

TheVision wrote:

When you buy a game, it's registered to your console so you don't need to put the disk in. So you could trade it in to Game, and still play it, because you don't need to the disk to play.

To square that circle, MS make it so Game will scan the disk in some special way that tells Live "this guy no longer owns this game". The next time your console authenticates to Live, your game disappears.

To stop people just taking the console offline forever, MS then mandated a 24 hour maximum time check. Leave it offline that long -- including internet outages, if you move house and don't have internet yet, etc etc -- and all your games stop working until you go online again.

Basically, it's like you're a criminal who has to check in with a parole officer every day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:43 

zaphod79 wrote:
no details if either of them include headsets in the box
It was previously confirmed the Xbox One doesn't have a pack-in headset. I think the idea was that you'd use Kinect instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
no details if either of them include headsets in the box
It was previously confirmed the Xbox One doesn't have a pack-in headset. I think the idea was that you'd use Kinect instead.

That's a horrible idea!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 

I think MS stopped putting them in 360 boxes before Kinect launched anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:47 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
TheVision wrote:

When you buy a game, it's registered to your console so you don't need to put the disk in. So you could trade it in to Game, and still play it, because you don't need to the disk to play.

To square that circle, MS make it so Game will scan the disk in some special way that tells Live "this guy no longer owns this game". The next time your console authenticates to Live, your game disappears.

To stop people just taking the console offline forever, MS then mandated a 24 hour maximum time check. Leave it offline that long -- including internet outages, if you move house and don't have internet yet, etc etc -- and all your games stop working until you go online again.

Basically, it's like you're a criminal who has to check in with a parole officer every day.

There will be a option to remove this via a custom dashboard within 6 months :DD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
TheVision wrote:

To prove you've not got pirated stuff on your system and that you've not sold off your games to an 'approved' vendor , its only purpose is DRM

This wouldn't affect many people whose Internet is always on and the Xbox always connected to it.

Currently I turn on my Xbox and it logs into Xbox live.

If I don't turn on my Xbone for a week and then I do, it'll log me in as usual. The 24 hour thing is only relevant if you game without an permanent Internet connection. That's my understanding anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:50 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
TheVision wrote:

This wouldn't affect many people whose Internet is always on and the Xbox always connected to it.

If I don't turn on my Xbone for a week and then I do, it'll log me in as usual. The 24 hour thing is only relevant if you game without an permanent Internet connection. That's my understanding anyway.

Its an odd move as the 2nd hand market must help shift new games, so If your are blocked from trading in they are just going to shift less new games?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:53 

asfish wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Its an odd move as the 2nd hand market must help shift new games, so If your are blocked from trading in they are just going to shift less new games?

Of course it isn't, every pirated/second hand copy is a lost sale. Don't you know anything?

It's certainly a grand experiment Microsoft has got going here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:56 

Saturnalian wrote:
Internet connections aren't permanent. Good luck playing anything in the week after United Utilities dig through the fibre between the cabinet and the exchange, for example.

It's more the wholesale abrogation of my statutory rights that is pissing me off though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:58 
Excellent Member

lasermink wrote:
asfish wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Of course it isn't, every pirated/second hand copy is a lost sale. Don't you know anything?

It's certainly a grand experiment Microsoft has got going here.

Its a bold move, and they have more balls that Sony. If MS loose ground over this they will remove it via a dash update. Have to wonder if Sony will copy them if there is no real impact to MS sales etc??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 
Bad Girl

Erm... I wasn't responding to the piracy thing by the way, just the 24 hour connection comments. Whoops.

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 52  Next