Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:45 

Hearthly wrote:
a dual-slot charging station
I have one of these for my PS4 and it’s low-key one of my favourite things about this console generation. It uses the (proprietary) lower charging port, so they just drop in to a little holder, no fiddly alignment necessary. I always know where the pads are and they’re always charged.

Hmm. I wonder if any console maker has looked at Qi charging... Maybe the pad doesn’t have a large enough flat area to accommodate the coils, though.

Quote:
Total spend = Cough cough ahem £1300.

Console gaming is expensive.
If only your new 55” TV could be used for things other than console gaming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 13:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Fucking ten minute fucking assembly time for the TV stand MY ARSE.

Haven't even got the telly or the XBox out of their packaging yet.

I'm also taking this opportunity to retire:

Chipped XBox
XBox360
Wii-U (sob)
VHS video player/recorder
LOADS OF WIRES

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 13:23 
Paws for thought

Satsuma wrote:
I’m going through Gears at the moment. It’s super-pretty but, hnnngh, so intensely boring. It’ll look awesome on your new 4K HDR set up, mind.

Gears of war was always a game that needed 2 player coopings. 1 player were dull, and for some reason >2 player didn't realy work either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 13:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Aahhhh I've got it now, bloody thing. It doesn't quite fit in the corner.

Subwoofer and media centre PC re-arrangement is now required.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 13:26 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
I’m going through Gears at the moment. It’s super-pretty but, hnnngh, so intensely boring. It’ll look awesome on your new 4K HDR set up, mind.

Gears of war was always a game that needed 2 player coopings. 1 player were dull, and for some reason >2 player didn't realy work either.

Good job I’ve been cooping it then. But it’s still boring. There’s an entire act where you shoot robots. Just robots. And kick robot footballs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 18:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Total spend = Cough cough ahem £1300.

What? How?!

£800 for telly, it's from a higher range apparently and has well good stuff on it that makes everything look snazzy and that - ue55mu7000t is the model code.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/samsung/samsung-mu7000

£50 for stand. Reduced!

£450 for XBox One X.

Equals £1300.

It is all set up and everything is working, the One X setup was painless. One 900MB update and a reboot was all it needed. Logged in with my old 'ChoppoTurnip' account from the 360 days and it's brought over quite a few of my XBLA games but not all.

Burnout Paradise Remastered has been bought digitally for £35 and is downloaded ready to go, haven't actually played it yet though.

The media centre PC amusingly changed its res to 3840x2160 which made the icons thrillingly tiny, so I've dropped that down to 1080. (Not that the humble thing could drive anything at 4K anyway, even if the tiddly Radeon card inside it can output the resolution.)

The One X is a quality piece of kit, very impressed with it, and the pad is excellent. The UI is super as well.

Later on I might actually play a game on it.

Oh yes there seems to be MODERN TRICKERY going on as the telly knows it's got an XBox One plugged into it for example, and there appears to be a bit of crosstalk between them on certain things. Which I like.

Ahhh and finally, the telly has just two wires coming out of it, the power cable and a special Samsung cable that goes to an external in/out box that you put all your inputs into, the digital output is from that, and so on. And they've built little channels into the back of the telly and one of the feet so it looks like there are no wires coming out of it at all.

Attachment:
tellyo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 18:52 
Sitting balls-back folder

That stand on that av unit makes my sphincter pucker.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 19:00 
Best
Board Mother

BikNorton wrote:

New telly's are far lighter than then used to be. We got a 49" and 55" when we moved, there is barely any weight to either of them. We only moved them two person due to their huge size and not wanting any accidents with the screen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 19:06 

BikNorton wrote:

You're not the only one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 19:07 

GazChap wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

You're not the only one.

Me three.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 19:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Why what's up with it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 19:11 
UltraMod

You've spent £1300 to play a ten year old game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 19:14 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Why what's up with it?

It looks like it's sitting right on the edge which is slightly scary.

Also, if your TV and the Xbone support HDMI-CEC you should turn it on so that if you're ever watching films or whatever on the Xbone you can use the TV remote to play/pause rather than having to keep a control pad handy and turned on throughout.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 19:30 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

New telly's are far lighter than then used to be

It's not the weight, as bamba said, look at it perched Right on the very edge at the bottom left! It's a strong curry away from toppling off!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 20:10 
Best
Board Mother

BikNorton wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

New telly's are far lighter than then used to be

It's not the weight, as bamba said, look at it perched Right on the very edge at the bottom left! It's a strong curry away from toppling off!

I don't think it's as close as you think. It's blending in abit with the chrome of the unit legs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 20:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
I don't think it's as close as you think. It's blending in abit with the chrome of the unit legs.

:this:

It's not as bad as it looks. It's very firmly planted as well as the underneath of the legs have very grippy rubber on them.

Also, I'd forgotten how fucking good Burnout Paradise is, and ZOMG it looks amazing in 55-inch 4K-o-vision.

Attachment:
notascloseo1.JPG

Attachment:
notascloseo2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 20:57 
Excellent Member

It's good you're enjoying it. £1300 for a game is too rich for my blood, but the knowledge that your main TV no longer tops out at 720p makes me oddly pleased. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 21:02 

Of course it's your sphincter that counts but jeepers!

Enjoy your TV and Xbox anyway, my X is sat on a shelf while we finish sitting the living room out and using the bone in the other room feels outdated somehow, even though it's only used for media usually.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 21:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
It's good you're enjoying it. £1300 for a game is too rich for my blood, but the knowledge that your main TV no longer tops out at 720p makes me oddly pleased. :)

I will be playing Mutant Storm Reloaded next, which I could have played on my 360 yesterday, which was still connected to the old telly and worked perfectly, and is now in a cupboard downstairs. (The 360 is in a cupboard, not the telly, that is far too big to fit in a cupboard.)

Oh yes, CASUALTY NEWS. I moved the trusty old 40 incher up to the main bedroom as an upgrade to the 32 incher that is in there now. Alas it did not survive the trip, and had horrible jaggedy lines going up the middle when I turned it back on, poor bugger clearly didn't like its first proper move in 11 years.

So we're back on the 32 incher in the main bedroom.

The old 40 incher is a lot heavier than the new 55 incher. It's like technology progresses over time, or something. I've left it up on the top landing for now as I don't fancy carrying it down two floors, my back is already complaining a bit about all the lifting today. (I properly put it out about 12 years ago and still have to be careful.)

I know I'm technically at '£1300 for one game' but in reality I think I'll get a lot of use out of the console as things go forward, for all my PC spoddery I do still love me a bit of a console gaming.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Somewhat OT here but tenuously linked and not sure where else it belongs.

Turns out that even fucking tellies get hit with the 'Isle of Man doesn't exist' problem that afflicts things like the Google Play Store (whereby we only get the 'free' version of the store unless using a VPN as Google doesn't think the Isle of Man exists and categorises us as 'rest of the world' if it identifies an IOM IP).

I was thinking there was some stuff missing from the apps list on the telly that should be there. A few of us chaps were WhatsApping each other last night about all the usual shit we WhatsApp each other about - (chubby Russian brides last night, somehow) - and I'd mentioned NEW TELLY AND XBOX ONE X to the group as of course you would, and a mate mentioned that there's a hidden menu on Samsung tellies that you can access during initial setup to force it to an internet/geographical region, he said he'd done the same on his and it opened up a load of stuff on there that'd previously been missing.

So basically you have to do a factory reset on the telly, go through the initial setup as normal, but then on the T&Cs page press a specific button combo (FF, 2, 8, 9, REW - on my model), and it brings up a list you can choose from to 'manually' locate your telly rather than have it go off IP address. (Brings back memories of my old Samsung DVD player that you could region unlock with some remote control trickery, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.)

(In fact, I remember now, it was the Samsung 709 DVD player, wasn't it, using an AIWA remote of all things.)

I chose the UK, and true enough when I'd finished the setup I had a much more fulsome apps/menu/options list presented to me than I'd had when allowing it to go through setup automatically. (I was also able to select a broadcaster to get normal telly, I picked the Granada region, whereas on the auto setup if I chose 'Television' as the source it just said something like 'you have no broadcast provider'.)

Tchoh, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 
Unpossible!

I had a 709. I had Matrix on R1 DVD before it was out in the UK cinema. And Blair Witch. How the world has changed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:10 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
I had a 709. I had Matrix on R1 DVD before it was out in the UK cinema. And Blair Witch. How the world has changed

Ha! Snap :) (Not for Blair Witch, but I imported The Matrix on R1.)

The main reason I imported it was the BBFC censored it for a 15, even at the cinema. But it was also a bonus to have the DVD before the film was released here. (I remember there being some talk about it being censored, prior to its release at the cinema, Melonfarmers were covering it IIRC.)

I imported quite a few R1 DVDs, again, mostly because of BBFC censorship at the time. (True Lies and Eraser, fuck me the hatchet job they did on those.)

Attachment:
matrixo.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 
Unpossible!

The matrix was just one headbutt, wasn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 

We’ve done this before. The BBFC doesn’t cut films or censor anything. Also, the entirety of the cuts to the UK release of The Matrix adds up to a total of ten seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
We’ve done this before. The BBFC doesn’t cut films or censor anything. Also, the entirety of the cuts to the UK release of The Matrix adds up to a total of ten seconds.

In the case of The Matrix the BBFC demanded cuts for a 15 certificate, an uncut 18 was available.

In other cases they have absolutely cut/censored films, even at an 18 certificate. (Or refused them a classification entirely, effectively banning them.)

TBH I think I'm missing your point here Doc, because the BBFC routinely cut films all the time in the past, although they're a lot less censorial these days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 

I think what Doc's saying is that it's the movie studios that cut and censor in order to meet the BBFC's requirements to get a particular certificate rating - all the BBFC do is tell them "we can't give this a PG rating because it graphically shows 300 people getting their heads removed with rusty knives".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:20 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
I think what Doc's saying is that it's the movie studios that cut and censor in order to meet the BBFC's requirements to get a particular certificate rating - all the BBFC do is tell them "we can't give this a PG rating because it graphically shows 300 people getting their heads removed with rusty knives".

Where they're cutting to a certificate I sort of agree (and yes, technically speaking it's not cutting/censorship if an uncut certificate is available at a higher rating). In the case of a film like The Matrix though, which is a mainstream action film, it was only the BBFC's obsession with 'imitable violence' (which included headbutts) that led to it being cut for a 15, which is clearly the correct rating for it in its uncut form. (Something the BBFC now agree with, since it's been uncut in the UK since 2006.)

Where they're cutting for an 18 though, with no other options available to the distributor, how is that not cutting and censoring on the BBFC's part? Or films like The Last House On The Left, which they outright refused to classify for about 25 years, and then only gave it an 18 with enforced cuts, before finally passing it uncut in 2008. As recently as 2000 they were still demanding 16 seconds of cuts, even at 18 certificate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 22:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Well at least I haven't spent £1300 just to play old XBox 360 games I could already play on my XBox 360, which is now stuffed in a cupboard downstairs.

I'll tell you what you what though, Geometry Wars 2 and Geometry Wars 2 Retro Evolved are things of beauty on a massive great screen like this right in front of your face.

Also, Space Giraffe.

I'm impressed by the way it brings all your games forward that work on the One X, and overall my impressions of the console are very positive.

Not sure who these assholes with better scores than me are though......

Attachment:
rustio.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

You'll have to give me a shout for a game of something sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 
Can you dig it?

Bamba wrote:

Me too :)

Does seem costly doing it all at once like that, but as the 720p telly was good for many years, this one will be too, one would imagine. Our TV is 8 years old and other than the thick bezels, it's not immediately obvious how old it is... it's still just fine, picture quality is still good and I have no real need to replace it. It seems that a lot of hardware now is so good anyway there isn't such a need to upgrade so often.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think I already know the answer to this but is anyone here looking to buy Sea of Thieves?

I'm half tempted but would only end up playing with random folk if I get it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:15 
Bad Girl

YES!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
No.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 15:25 
Hello Hello Hello

I've been eyeing up Monster Hunter World and Subnautica.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 18:12 
Bad Girl

Cuphead!

I totally forgot about that as a “console exclusive.” If I wasn’t so consumed by Persona 5, I’d be gerrin next.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 20:45 
Prince of Fops

Interesting article on the potential of the Xbox subscription service.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/20/the-sea-of-thieves-launch-has-convinced-me-xbox-game-pass-is-the-future/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 20:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmm, turns out I was outputting 'Stereo uncompressed' via the optical output on the One X, which explains the lack of 5:1 positioning. What I needed to do was start rummaging around in the menus to find the option to change the Optical Audio setting to 'Bitstream out', and then from the 'Bitstream format' submenu make sure I selected 'DTS Digital Surround'.

Upon doing this my sound system's display automatically changed itself to 'DTS' and I had 5:1 sound.

Bit complicated these consoles, innit.

I can also test Doc's theory now, as the HDMI audio setting allows 'Bitstream out' too, and because I've got a modern swizzy telly now and not the ancient 40 incher, I'm rather hoping that with HDMI set to 'Bitsream out' as well, it'll all pass through OK and give me 5:1 sound. This would be handy as I could then leave the speaker input on 'DIGITAL' all the time, rather than switching between 'XBOX 360' and 'DIGITAL'.

Attachment:
plugandplay.JPG

Attachment:
plugandplay2JPG.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 20:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Grumble grumble.

DocG is correct.

(1) When the optical out is piped straight into the back of the amp on 'Bitstream out' I get full 5:1.

(2) When it's the HDMI passthrough arrangement, I get stereo. (Even with the HDMI set to 'Bitstream out'.) It still utilises all the speakers in this scenario, but the rear two speakers basically just mirror what their front counterparts are doing.

So in Burnout Paradise Remastered for example, I get full positional audio for everything that's happening in (1), but in (2) it's just duplicated stereo to the rear speakers.

That's a bit shit though as the new telly has a proper breakout box and everything, and invites you to have HDMI inputs in, and then a digital optical audio out.

Tchoh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 21:05 

Like I said: what you want doesn't exist because it doesn't work. Most HDMI-carried audio formats need a higher bandwidth than an optical cable can carry. It doesn't matter how fancy the TV is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 21:20 
Hello Hello Hello

FML. I'm not even sure I want to carry on anymore.

Anyway, the end result is fine, I've got proper 5:1 sound from my One X which is what I was after, and now I understand it all a bit better too.

Cheers for the input Doc, knowledge is always a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 21:35 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Who had xbone for PS4 in the next hearthly trade in sweep?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 23:17 
Can you dig it?

Hearthly wrote:
. This would be handy as I could then leave the speaker input on 'DIGITAL' all the time, rather than switching between 'XBOX 360' and 'DIGITAL'.

While you're on a spending spree, get a Harmony (or some other programmable remote) and set it up to do all of this for you. When I had telly that did anything other than show kids TV, and AV gear that worked, and consoles that weren't just used to smear food into, the Harmony One was impressive. Now, it is just a backup for when the kids lose the other remote AGAIN.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 23:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There's one on sale at Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTYI1F4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 23:36 

There’s also a version without the Pop buttons for a tenner less (but I’d be very happy to give anyone £20 for them.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 17:50 
Hello Hello Hello

I don't understand, it's a fancy remote control for nearly £300?

It's no biggy anyway, I'm quite close to the telly and I only really need two remotes, the Samsung smart remote and the remote for the speakers.

Also, NEX MACHINA is not on Xbox One, I was rather hoping to play that in 55 inch big-o-vision.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 
Bad Girl

Reviews are in for Sea of Thieves: rubbish and disappointing. Lack of content; samey quests; not worth the money. The sea is great though. Meh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Shame. It looks glorious and ideal for me and my 3 friends to play together... Not that we ever will. They don't like spending money at the best of times.

Hopefully it will improve as time goes on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:16 
Bad Girl

You can all play it for free if you take the free 14 day trial of Xbox pass. That’s all you’ll need to see all you need to, apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:18 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Shame. It looks glorious and ideal for me and my 3 friends to play together... Not that we ever will. They don't like spending money at the best of times.

Hopefully it will improve as time goes on.

Should've got a PS4 after all!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes but we can not play Sea of Thieves in Native 4K, take that PS4 Pro owners.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We can not play Sea of Thieves in 4k, too.

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 52  Next