Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xbox reveal today!
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 13:21 
Isn't that lovely?

sdg wrote:
I also imagine that the news which has reassured me a bit could still be winding up parents. If I had three kids, aged 10,12 and 14, I could pretty much guarantee that the 14 year old wouldn't want the ten year old coming into play on their Xbox, when in the past they could just give them the disc into their own room.

From the 1st of July to the 4th, I will be in that position (The 14 year old turns 15 on the 5th of July)

We get round this by having the xbox downstairs as that would indeed be a problem.

I get that you mean owning more than one console, I wonder if they will do a similar thing with the family xbox live membership at the moment, and that anyone in the "family" will be able to play the game in their console.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

If nothing else.. this new console has got us talking about something game related for a change. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also, it seems that by volume of discussion alone, we're still far more interested in Xbox than we are Wii or PlayStation.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:23 
Excellent Member

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

According to this, the PS4 has more grunt. But i don't think this will decide the winner, even though i think the PS4 will be more successful.

Even though sony screwed up o lot in the early days of the PS3, it eventually went to surpass the X360 in everywhere except the US. The playstation brand is still much stronger than the xbox brand and that's a really big factor.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:24 

Grim... wrote:
Also, it seems that by volume of discussion alone, we're still far more interested in slagging off Microsoft than we are Sony or Nintendo.

Fixed.

Not entirely accurate but there's a bit of that I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Also, it seems that by volume of discussion alone, we're still far more interested in Xbox than we are Wii or PlayStation.

Who are we kidding, as crap as it looks, we'll all still buy one...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:35 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Also, it seems that by volume of discussion alone, we're all far more worried about the rumours we've heard surrounding the new Xbox than we are about the PS4 hence more discussion despite a comparable amount of info being released about both consoles at this stage.

Or people are far more worried about the rumours we've been hearing around MS' plans for their console (always online, no second hand games, etc) hence more appetite for discussion.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:36 

Trooper wrote:
Eventually, perhaps. But this year? I doubt it, personally.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:42 
Chinny chin chin

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You'll all rush out and buy both, squabble for a bit, one will be decided on and then I'll buy a PC join the fun. Probably.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:42 

Unless it's really obvious which one to go for then I reckon I'll wait until they've been out a good few months before bothering with either.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:43 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

RuySan wrote:
Even though sony screwed up o lot in the early days of the PS3, it eventually went to surpass the X360 in everywhere except the US. The playstation brand is still much stronger than the xbox brand and that's a really big factor.

There were a number of posts at the end of last week on total sales that had the PS3 eclipse the 360 for worldwide sales (and i dont know about anyone else but i'm on my 3rd 360 whereas my original PS3 ran fine until i sold it last year)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:43 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:
Unless it's really obvious which one to go for then I reckon I'll wait until they've been out a good few months before bothering with either.

Also first gen Microsoft kit has a habit of exploding/failing/going wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:45 

I don't see that happening this time around, although it would be quite amusing if it did. In any case I'm not too fussed about that really, they will put it right if it does explode.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'll buy both on the week of release I expect, because i'm an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:50 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -be-resold

Quote:
GameStop president Tony Bartel has reassured consumers that next-gen games will be able to be bought and sold on the pre-owned market, and explained why that is important as consoles transition.

"Both Sony and Microsoft have said games can be resold and that's exactly what we anticipated. It's a recognised way to make these games more affordable. All three new platforms understand that," Bartel told Forbes.
Harrison suggested there was an announcement to come about this too.

My take is: GameStop and other affiliated retailers will be able to pay MS a fee to unlock pre-owned games they get in. So, effectively, MS get a cut of preowned sales. Or another way to look at it: retail still gets to sell us preowned copies at a £5 discount over new, while we can no longer lend, trade, or give old games away to friends. The worst of all worlds, then. Fuck.

Y'know, this makes perfect sense. Games publishers weren't looking at the vast piles of cash made by the likes of GameStop on preowned sales and thinking, We must stop this evil. They were thinking: We gotta get us some of that. And this is how.

So it looks like: pre-owned game is traded into GameStop. GameStop pay a fee to Microsoft (which kicks back to the publisher), Microsoft disable the game registration attached to the old console and open it back up to the next one its played in. Sometime in the next 24 hours, the console belonging to the person who traded it in deactivates the game. Someone new receives the disc, the servers know that this disc has been marked as "preowned and available", and it installs and plays as normal.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 14:54 

markg wrote:
I guess quite a few do then, but how many of those have a headset for it? I don't and it's pretty essential for any sort of Bezzie gaming scenario.

It always seemed a strange omission to me to leave those out of the standard PS3 packages.

Heh -- Xbone won't include a headset in the box.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:03 
SavyGamer

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-22-gamestop-president-ps4-and-xbox-one-games-can-be-resold

Quote:
GameStop president Tony Bartel has reassured consumers that next-gen games will be able to be bought and sold on the pre-owned market, and explained why that is important as consoles transition.

"Both Sony and Microsoft have said games can be resold and that's exactly what we anticipated. It's a recognised way to make these games more affordable. All three new platforms understand that," Bartel told Forbes.
Harrison suggested there was an announcement to come about this too.

My take is: GameStop and other affiliated retailers will be able to pay MS a fee to unlock pre-owned games they get in. So, effectively, MS get a cut of preowned sales. Or another way to look at it: retail still gets to sell us preowned copies at a £5 discount over new, while we can no longer lend, trade, or give old games away to friends. The worst of all worlds, then. Fuck.

Y'know, this makes perfect sense. Games publishers weren't looking at the vast piles of cash made by the likes of GameStop on preowned sales and thinking, We must stop this evil. They were thinking: We gotta get us some of that. And this is how.

So it looks like: pre-owned game is traded into GameStop. GameStop pay a fee to Microsoft (which kicks back to the publisher), Microsoft disable the game registration attached to the old console and open it back up to the next one its played in. Sometime in the next 24 hours, the console belonging to the person who traded it in deactivates the game. Someone new receives the disc, the servers know that this disc has been marked as "preowned and available", and it installs and plays as normal.

This is what I expect, and this is why I said it will drive prices up. If retailers increase the price of preowned to include MS's effective preowned tax, you can be sure that they'll also increase new prices.

I expect they'll have a solution for affiliated rental services like Blockbuster and Lovefilm too.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:04 
Gogmagog

Hmm. This will affect public libraries, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:07 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:
I guess quite a few do then, but how many of those have a headset for it? I don't and it's pretty essential for any sort of Bezzie gaming scenario.

It always seemed a strange omission to me to leave those out of the standard PS3 packages.

I heard it will have a headset, but all you'll be able to hear through it is Microsoft execs who have never played a game in their lives spout marketing bullshit at you about how great the "experience" is.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:08 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:

Heh, a bit irrelevant since surely you won't really need one to participate in online chat when the Kinect has a microphone anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:13 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:

Heh, a bit irrelevant since surely you won't really need one to participate in online chat when the Kinect has a microphone anyway.

Because I really want you lot coming out of my speakers. Perhaps they'll do it in surrond so it's like you are all around me. Brrrrrrrr.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:19 
8-Bit Champion

markg wrote:

Picking up all the other noise in the room , the noise from the TV that its sitting right next to , and with no easy way to mute it ?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:20 

Sure it won't be ideal and a lot of people who are really into online gaming will end up buying headsets (Since these days I play online about twice a year I'd probably not bother and just manage with the Kinect thing unless it just doesn't work at all). But my point was really that with the PS3 you could spend £350 on a console that had WiFi all built in and kept going on about its online features only to find that you really couldn't have a proper multiplayer experience at all without going out and buying something else. I think leaving it out probably did them a bit of harm. I don't think that it matters so much here.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:21 
8-Bit Champion

Major Nelson on the 2nd hand games stuff which sounds just like the Doc described and means although you *can* sell your game to Gamestop etc probably you cant *give* your game to your friend or sell it on ebay

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox- ... sed-games/

Quote:
Xbox One and Used Games

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:22 
8-Bit Champion

markg wrote:
only to find that you really couldn't have a proper multiplayer experience at all without going out and buying something else. I think leaving it out probably did them a bit of harm. I don't think that it matters so much here.

I think your right - and yes I can see for some games having it there will be fine

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:22 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
Picking up all the other noise in the room , the noise from the TV that its sitting right next to

Sounds like gaming with Kalmar. :DD

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:24 
8-Bit Champion

Basic FAQ on Microsofts site that doesnt answer any of the difficult questions but gives you some fluff about other bits

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:27 
8-Bit Champion

Really well written about the event and how wide of the mark it is

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1927 ... ra+News%29

Quote:
Yet by the end of the console event, I sat disoriented, feeling like I'd seen one of the Big Three take a hard left into a past decade, a fictional privileged nation where everyone owns a giant television they want to talk to, where they entertain themselves with high-end fictional simulations of football season and futuristic, nebulous wars abroad. Where we supposedly want whole-body play. Where the fantasy is that all our living rooms are big enough for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:28 
Rude Belittler

If they'd have said: 'it's like the 360 except more' I'd have been all over it.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:30 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
Basic FAQ on Microsofts site that doesnt answer any of the difficult questions but gives you some fluff about other bits

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Quote:
Q: Xbox One is a more powerful product compared to Xbox 360, but does it also use more power?
A: NOBODY FUCKING CARES

Fixed that for them.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You do if it's constantly on.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:36 
8-Bit Champion

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57585 ... -more-q-a/

Quote:
CNET: You say you're going to support it [used games] , but is it going to be different from the way you're doing it now?

Henshaw: We haven't shared any of those details yet. The key thing to bear in mind is that in the coming generation, obviously retail sales are going to play a huge part in that ecosystem, and people will continue to buy shiny discs. But increasingly, content sales are going to happen online. That's what Xbox Live and the Arcade investments on 360 have all been learning towards, and Xbox One is really going to take that to the next level. The entire content portfolio will be available as well.

Quote:
CNET: Speaking of watching movies and TV, Netflix on the Xbox 360 has always required a paid, Xbox Live Gold subscription. No other hardware makers with streaming boxes are doing this. Are there any plans to change that with the Xbox One?

Henshaw: Nothing to announce there yet.

Quote:
CNET: Kinect now needs to be on all the time. But there are obviously some people who say "I don't want this camera in my living room."

Henshaw: If you want privacy, we'll give you modes that ensure your privacy. And we actually have a little bit about this on the Web already. We will have something similar for the Kinect with Xbox One. The system is designed to have Kinect be an integral part of the experience. It's not the case where you'll be able to remove the camera altogether. But you'll be able to put the system in modes where you can be completely secure about the fact that the camera is off and can't see you.

On that final point - this might be worth another topic but i'll put it here now - Microsoft monitor and act on information that you send via Skype

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05 ... ink-again/

Quote:
Think your Skype messages get end-to-end encryption? Think again

With the help of independent privacy and security researcher Ashkan Soltani, Ars used Skype to send four Web links that were created solely for purposes of this article. Two of them were never clicked on, but the other two—one beginning in HTTP link and the other HTTPS—were accessed by a machine at 65.52.100.214, an IP address belonging to Microsoft. For those interested in the technical details, the log line looked like this:

'65.52.100.214 - - [16/May/2013 11:30:10] "HEAD /index.html?test_never_clicked HTTP/1.1" 200 -'

The results—which were similar but not identical to those reported last week by The H Security—prove conclusively that Microsoft not only has ability to peer at the plaintext sent from one Skype user to another, but that the company regularly flexes that monitoring muscle.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 15:36 
Sitting balls-back folder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Apart from that setup falling foul of the EU court ruling about licensor not being allowed to dictate or prevent the resale of a software license to whomsoever the licensee fucking pleases.

And it's not like the EU are shy about cunting MS in the fuck either.

I wasn't enamoured by the PS4 from the tiny amount Sont have revealed. I am positively anti-enamoured by the Xbox Billionty so far.

So, sticking with the 360 and PS3 until they die then giving up vidjogaming completely it is then, and upgrading the bedroom BluRay player to one that does Netflix when my Gold sub expires later this year.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 16:12 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:

I'd still turn mine off at the plug each night. This electricity won't pay itself, y'know.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 16:12 
Bad Girl

...unless it's connected to a wind turbine. Which it ain't.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 16:14 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
markg wrote:

Great, from now on it'll be the X-bone in my head.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 16:21 

Xbone is clearly the best way to abbreviate it.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 16:29 
SavyGamer

Microsoft working with partners to support the second hand market.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 16:38 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:

Your mother is constantly "on".

Did I do it right?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 17:55 
Chinny chin chin

If you want backwards compatibility then you are saaaaaaaad.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/05/22/microsoft-and-sony-diverge-on-gaming-cloud/?utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer94b3f

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:23 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -xbox-one/

Quote:
Opinion: Only games can save Xbox One

Quote:
If Xbox One is Microsoft's ultimate vision for commanding the living-room, then it has misunderstood its core, casual and family markets quite spectacularly.

Quote:
Even if the company was helpful, explicit and honest about its plans for always-online restrictions and pre-owned fees, its new console would still hinge on flawed TV features that no one asked for.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 
8-Bit Champion

I did like this as well

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435301 ... one-reveal

Quote:
Xbox 360 Kinect owners had some trouble today watching Microsoft's Xbox One reveal due to device's response to "Xbox" commands spoken during the livestream.

Several users took to Twitter to document their problems, which included pausing, opening Xbox Live or quitting the stream entirely.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:41 
Excellent Member

What annoys me most about Microsoft is its arrogance in thinking they can dictate how the consumers play games instead of accepting it's the other way around. No one asked for this online authentications and blocks on pre-owned games. If the console fails it will be a blessing to the gamers and a warning to other companies.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:49 
8-Bit Champion

RuySan wrote:
What annoys me most about Microsoft is its arrogance in thinking they can dictate how the consumers play games instead of accepting it's the other way around. No one asked for this online authentications and blocks on pre-owned games. If the console fails it will be a blessing to the gamers and a warning to other companies.

I agree - I also think that the overall conference was a bit 'meh' due to the focus more on TV and the US side of things but that did not really bother me that much - its just the announcement of the new console so thats fine.

What got to me was the stuff that dripped out afterwards specifically the blocks on pre owned games , the check in every 24 hours (or else) , and the forced Kinect stuff.

All of which are Microsoft forcing people to do things their way or else - I appreciate we'll see more at E3 and some of these things may not turn out the way they look right now but for me its looking like Microsoft wont be my console of choice for the next generation

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:57 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/408253/blog/opinion-only-games-can-save-xbox-one/

There are people in the comments saying they have already pre-ordered a system. 8)

Fuck me! What sad little fucking fanboys! What kind of dick goes and pre-orders a console this early!

"Oooh, look at me, I'm flush and I've run straight down to Game to pre-order my console while still having a hard-on from watching the presentation."

Fucking simpletons.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/408253/blog/opinion-only-games-can-save-xbox-one/

There are people in the comments saying they have already pre-ordered a system. 8)

Fuck me! What sad little fucking fanboys! What kind of dick goes and pre-orders a console this early!

"Oooh, look at me, I'm flush and I've run straight down to Game to pre-order my console while still having a hard-on from watching the presentation."

Fucking simpletons.

You've heard that Amstrad are now taking pre-orders for the GXone console they're releasing in 2016, right?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 

It's a racing certainty that there are going to be some good games on there that won't be on PS4 and vice versa. Some people really like games and get excited about this stuff :shrug:

It's £400, it's not like they pre-ordered a new £200,000 Ferrari that just got announced like people do without getting called fucking simpletons and fanboys etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

RuySan wrote:

I'm not sure we can blame MS for that.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I'm not sure we can blame MS for that.

No, I blame AE.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:13 
Chinny chin chin

Zio wrote:
You've heard that Amstrad are now taking pre-orders for the GXone console they're releasing in 2016, right?

I wouldn't reserve anything this far ahead. It's one thing going in a month before launch if you are a fanboy, but we're talking what, 6 or 7 months? There's not even any decent concrete info on it.

As for the Amstrad analogy, they generally made sure stuff was ready to buy before they launched it. Although the CPC was launched in April '84, there was only very limited stock until June. However with the GX4000 they made sure that by the time the magazines announced it there were machines to buy. Nobody wanted to repeat what Sinclair used to do with launching products, taking orders, and the machines being nowhere near ready.

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 52  Next