Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xbox reveal today!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 14:56 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I have never owned a PlayStation before.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:00 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Xbox One wasn't doing something similar, given that without that, this "play your game at a friends house" angle MS is pushing would be predicated on a up-to-50-GB download. Which would take an hour or so on even Grim...'s cable, let alone us lesser mortals, who would be waiting days.

The issue with that is 'bring your save game across' , so if you are playing an adventure game and are actually at the end of level boss thats exactly what it does need rather than the first level so it would need to be dynamic which I would think could be hard to do

MaliA wrote:
Forgive the dumb question, what's the capacity of an XBOX 360 disc? is an XBOXOne's disc likely to be more, of jsut the information for it to then pull other bits it needs from a server?

Xbox360 disks are up to around 7 or 8 gig (i remember the Doc posting stuff about it a while ago) , the Xbox One uses a blue ray so those are 50 or 60 gig , some PS3 games do use up the whole capacity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:05 
8-Bit Champion

Bobbyaro wrote:

I know Chinny did his poll of what consoles we have now but I was thinking of doing a similar one to ask what consoles *have you owned in the past* - the problem is that the vote system only allows something like 30 entries so a lot would need to be chopped out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:12 
I forgot about this - how vain

I think this is he defining generation to determine

A) if games journalists will ever be journalists.

B) if gamers addiction to games will ever brake against how shit hey get treated.

And

C) if I'll keep buying consoles.

This news is all just fucking awful. And I've no faith in gamers or journalists.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:14 
Sitting balls-back folder

But.... you gotta have faith.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:20 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

You just have to hope that the game doesn't decide that you need to download the 10 minute opening hi-def video before you can start playing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:21 
SavyGamer

Dr Lave wrote:

There has been plenty of weak reporting. But there's been some great stuff too. I think some writers realise that this is their chance to be of some real use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:29 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

There has been plenty of weak reporting. But there's been some great stuff too. I think some writers realise that this is their chance to be of some real use.

Some of the links i've posted have been quite hard hitting - I also really think its interesting that before this announcement Microsoft had 1-on-1's scheduled for a lot of the gaming press next week during / after E3 - just before they posted this 'clarification' they canceled them all.

Quotes of articles covering it so far today (stolen from somewhere else)

. wrote:
Eurogamer: Microsoft kills game ownership and expects us to smile: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-07-microsoft-kills-game-ownership-and-expects-us-to-smile

Forbes (1) Microsoft's Shortsighted Approach Might Have Already Killed Xbox One: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/06/06/microsofts-shortsighted-approach-might-have-already-killed-xbox-one/

Forbes (2) The Xbox One Might Let Sony's PS4 Win By Default: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/06/07/the-xbox-one-might-let-sonys-ps4-win-by-default/

Giant Bomb: The Giant Bomb staff deciphers the digital-rights policies for Microsoft's new console through interpretive dance: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/an-xbox-one-drm-breakdown/2300-7459/

Kotaku (1) The Xbox One Just Had A Very Bad Day: http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-just-had-a-very-bad-day-511766497

Kotaku (2) When Will Gamers Say Enough Is Enough? http://kotaku.com/video-game-companies-arent-letting-us-do-anything-511789152

LazyGamer: Microsoft confirms insane Xbox One DRM: http://www.lazygamer.net/24/microsoft-confirms-insane-xbox-one-drm/

MCV UK (1) Indie retailers desperate for Xbox One pre-owned answers: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/indie-retailers-desperate-for-xbox-one-pre-owned-answers/0116813

MCV UK (2) Publishers quiet over Xbox One pre-owned intensions: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/will-publishers-charge-or-block-pre-owned-no-comment/0116814

Metro UK: Xbox One and the corporate war against consumers: http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/07/xbox-one-and-the-corporate-war-against-consumers-3832082/

NowGamer: Xbox One: It's For Publishers, Not For You: http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1955108/xbox_one_its_for_publishers_not_for_you.html

TechnoBuffalo: Xbox One and Used, Borrowed and Sold Games – The Official Word: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/06/07/xbox-one-used-borrowed-games/

The Guardian: Xbox One requires daily net connection: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jun/07/game-links-press-start

Time: Microsoft’s Xbox One Used Games Policies Are Clear as Mud: http://techland.time.com/2013/06/07/microsofts-xbox-one-used-games-policies-are-clear-as-mud/

VG247: Xbox One: the record is broken, long live the record: http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/xbox-one-the-record-is-broken-long-live-the-record

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:42 
8-Bit Champion

I like this quote from the VG24x7 piece above :

Quote:
What Microsoft is really saying is that you can boot up your Xbox One and log-in, verifying your account within seconds, and then you can turn your router off for all they care. When you look at it that way things don’t seem so bad. It was even suggested to me today that if my internet was shit I could even tether my phone for the verification and then unplug it straight after.

Yeah sure that’d work just fine, but see the thing is I shouldn’t have to do that. At all. My mobile contract has a data cap as well, so the last thing I want to be doing is gobbling up my allowance just to prove I’m not a criminal to Steve Ballmer and his band of crazy pals who at this point in time seem to be out of their shitting minds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:44 

Yeah. Your both right. I just hope they keep it up.

RPS had that brilliant article about how silence worked for EA in pushing sim city. I suspect Microsoft will try that here. Journalists must relentless pressure this. And not let it die.

But stay silent then dangle managed 'exclusives' that jet some corruptible dick to a hotel somewhere hot and MS can shift the debate where hey want it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:45 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
You can't execute 'bits' of code you need all of it for anything to work so you'd need to download the whole thing to each Xbox.

The PS4 will allow you to stream-download games; download the game engine and the assets for it, then start playing. That might only be a fraction of the game. You don't need the sound and graphics for the end of game boss to play the opening tutorial.

I'm surprised to hear this because there's simply no way to guarantee that you'll always have the resources you need to play the game at a given point as it's contingent on so many factors (speed of you internet connection, speed with which you're progressing through the game and, as someone mentioned, what point in the game a given save file will plonk you at). And that's not to even speak to games with free roaming worlds (how do prioritise the download of resources when a player can approach the game randomly?) or the idea of your net connection conking out partway through the download while you carry on playing. These are nightmare problems to solve for developers surely, and the idea of even having to design an error that says something like, "Sorry, not enough of your game has downloaded yet for you to open this door. Please come back later when we've buffered some more textures!" is such horrific a customer experience that if it was me I wouldn't even risk it. If they can make it work then fair play to them and I'd be interested to know how they're solving those problems if anyone knows?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:48 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

I know Chinny did his poll of what consoles we have now but I was thinking of doing a similar one to ask what consoles *have you owned in the past* - the problem is that the vote system only allows something like 30 entries so a lot would need to be chopped out

Do a different poll by generation. Then merge it all in the results.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:49 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
You can't execute 'bits' of code you need all of it for anything to work so you'd need to download the whole thing to each Xbox.

The PS4 will allow you to stream-download games; download the game engine and the assets for it, then start playing. That might only be a fraction of the game. You don't need the sound and graphics for the end of game boss to play the opening tutorial.

I'm surprised to hear this because there's simply no way to guarantee that you'll always have the resources you need to play the game at a given point as it's contingent on so many factors (speed of you internet connection, speed with which you're progressing through the game and, as someone mentioned, what point in the game a given save file will plonk you at). And that's not to even speak to games with free roaming worlds (how do prioritise the download of resources when a player can approach the game randomly?) or the idea of your net connection conking out partway through the download while you carry on playing. These are nightmare problems to solve for developers surely, and the idea of even having to design an error that says something like, "Sorry, not enough of your game has downloaded yet for you to open this door. Please come back later when we've buffered some more textures!" is such horrific a customer experience that if it was me I wouldn't even risk it. If they can make it work then fair play to them and I'd be interested to know how they're solving those problems if anyone knows?

Being able to play some games without having to wait for a 50gb download > not being able to do that.

It's not like they're forcing you to start before the download is complete.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:51 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
I'm surprised to hear this because there's simply no way to guarantee that you'll always have the resources you need to play the game at a given point

Sony have not yet confirmed it but one other way would be GaiKai (so play the game streaming) - a recent PS3 game (cant remember which) allowed you to start playing while the game was still downloading (so it only grabbed enough textures / engine etc to allow a start) which might be enough for Sony to cover what they have said they are doing but I cant see how it works for Microsoft unless it really is they need to download the whole thing ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:56 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
It's not like they're forcing you to start before the download is complete.

I don't really understand that attitude because it pretty much excuses anything a company fails to deliver by implying it's somehow the consumer's fault for wanting to make use of a feature. "That thing doesn't work as well as we said it would when we asked for you money? Well, y'know, no one's forcing you to use it that way."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 15:57 

The only example I saw for PS4 was that the game would be requiring the engine and first level be loaded before it can start, and it would then download the next level while you play it.

It's probably easier in sandbox games, you just make sure you use a small number of assets in the opening area. Repeating concrete, tarmac, glass textures, a couple of basic NPC models, download high-res landscape for the immediate vicinity, low-res adjacent, skeletal for skyline. It'll be sub-optimal, but that never did stop Rockstar taking over the world with the horrendous pop-in and texturing in GTA3.

And don't be daft with that argument, this is "play now and maybe suffer occasional delays, or just wait a bit you impatient shit" not "fuck you we have your money!"

Edit: That comes later when they release the new version and turn the server off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 16:01 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
It's probably easier in sandbox games, you just make sure you use a small number of assets in the opening area. Repeating concrete, tarmac, glass textures, a couple of basic NPC models, download high-res landscape for the immediate vicinity, low-res adjacent, skeletal for skyline. It'll be sub-optimal, but that never did stop Rockstar taking over the world with the horrendous pop-in and texturing in GTA3.

That's not a great solution I feel because it means you're actually constraining the design of games purely so they'll work in a certain physical situation. Games design should be driven by what makes a fun game, not to service one of MS' feature bullet points (which itself was only dreamt up to justify a separate DRM decision). That would all be very odd.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 16:04 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
And don't be daft with that argument, this is "play now and maybe suffer occasional delays, or just wait a bit you impatient shit" not "fuck you we have your money!"

I'm arguing companies should only advertise features of a product that they can actually pull off and knowingly doing otherwise is shitty; I'm not sure what you think I'm saying?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 16:10 

Bamba wrote:
That's not a great solution I feel because it means you're actually constraining the design of games purely so they'll work in a certain physical situation. Games design should be driven by what makes a fun game, not to service one of MS' feature bullet points (which itself was only dreamt up to justify a separate DRM decision). That would all be very odd.
That's what sandbox games *do*; they still stream, just from DVD/BD/HDD. There simply isn't enough RAM in a console to load full res models and textures all at once.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 16:16 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
Bamba wrote:
That's what sandbox games *do*; they still stream, just from DVD/BD/HDD. There simply isn't enough RAM in a console to load full res models and textures all at once.

Well, yes, but there's a pretty big difference between "streaming resources that will always 100% definitely be available because they're on the HDD or optical disc that's physically connected to the console" and "streaming resources from the internet that might not actually even have turned up yet". And the difference is 'whether your game is actually playable or not'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 16:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

A few of the MMO clients allow you to start playing well before the download is finished.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 17:05 

Bamba wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Well, yes, but there's a pretty big difference between "streaming resources that will always 100% definitely be available because they're on the HDD or optical disc that's physically connected to the console" and "streaming resources from the internet that might not actually even have turned up yet". And the difference is 'whether your game is actually playable or not'.

I agree, but I think given this quote... :
zaphod79 wrote:
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

Quote:
A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing.

... it is safe to say they are living in cloud cuckoo land, so I wouldn't worry too much about what they say!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 18:03 

Bobbyaro wrote:
I agree, but I think given this quote... :

... it is safe to say they are living in cloud cuckoo land, so I wouldn't worry too much about what they say!

What? Every Xbox One user will have broadband. How is that cloud cuckoo land?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 18:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

Self-selecting tautology innit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 18:53 
Unpossible!

Aye, they insist on it, therefore everyone will have it.

Simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 19:14 

It isn't the fact that they will have a BB connection that is crazy, it is the fact that they are willing to limit the sales of the product in such a way, therefore we shouldn't be surprised if they are willing to limit it much further by, for example, requiring not just a BB connection, but one of a minimum speed above that which is required to simply play games on line.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 20:19 
Paws for thought

The other thing to note is quite how shite I've found live to be recently. Turning on the console and watching a spinning circle for about a minute before eventually reaching the dashboard. Not smooth. Frankly, the less it requires the internet for standard use, the better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 22:38 
8-Bit Champion

Bobbyaro wrote:
we shouldn't be surprised if they are willing to limit it much further by, for example, requiring not just a BB connection, but one of a minimum speed above that which is required to simply play games on line.

I've seen a minimum speed quoted today but I cant find it on Microsofts pages (1.5mb download speed) which probably knocks people like Chinny out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 23:11 

I think there's a good chance I might run out of popcorn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:41 
8-Bit Champion

Joans wrote:
I think there's a good chance I might run out of popcorn.

You've probably got a day or two to re-stock but this is far from over - E3 stuff next week and expect all those games media people who are not not allowed to talk to Microsoft to ask Sony the same questions and your either going to get :

1) Sony comes out and says they are doing the exact same thing
2) Sony comes out and says they are doing something thats not quite as bad
3) Sony comes out and says they are doing nothing like that

Now given that Sony has previously (in the last few months) been saying like they would never force the console to require the internet , and that they would not place artificial limits on disk games if they change that now - expect another massive storm of people going mental.

If Sony unveil their own methods for preventing 2nd hand sales then expect a period of fanboys from both sides going mad at each other (I really cant believe the people who are so enamored of Microsoft that they are saying its all fine but i'm sure there would be Sony fanboys who would be saying the same thing)

If Sony come out and say some really basic things then they are going to have so much goodwill going into the next generation that I dont see how they could fail - if they at some point at E3 say

1) The PS4 does not need to connect to the internet every X hours
2) You can do what you want with your disk based games / sell them / give them away / whatever
3) The Playstation eye is not required for the system to function and you can simply unplug and never use it if you want

Then there are so many people out there who are going mad right now who will put their money down for a PS4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 19:45 

Just prevented autorenewal of my Xbox Gold. I've been mainly playing my PS3 anyhow, so wasn't planning to renew just yet anyhow, but I guess I should get ready to jump ship.

Please don't fuck this Sony. Stay humble.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 19:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dr Lave wrote:
Stay humble.

8)

Sony?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 
SavyGamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 13:08 

Every time a company "wins" a generation they arrogant the arse out with their next and try to exploit their user base.

N64, PS3, XBone.

Sony are finically fucked at the minute. Hence they've so far pitched to the consumer massively. The PS3 and PS+ is currently far, far superior to the advert ridden Xbox.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 13:42 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

All this talk of second hand games... Does that mean that CEX will be fucked? I hope so. There's a new one opened in town and it stinks! It's only been there two weeks too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 13:49 
8-Bit Champion

TheVision wrote:
All this talk of second hand games... Does that mean that CEX will be fucked? I hope so. There's a new one opened in town and it stinks! It's only been there two weeks too.

Probably not - they can just get on Microsoft approved list and then they offer you 50p for your brand new game and since you cant sell it anywhere else you'll take it because your the type of person that bought an Xbox one.

Doing away with the 2nd hand market isnt *directly* killing the shops that trade in games , they will still make a profit off them (albeit probably much less) - its about doing away with you having a choice on where to sell it.

Those 'preferred' shops just have the ability to unlink the game from your account.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 13:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

Why do all CEX shops stink? Do they only employ smelly people?
I know some of clientele are likely to be less bo aware, but how come other shops they frequent don't stink?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 14:43 

Gamestations always stank as well. Especially the one in Hull.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 15:08 
Worst

Dr Lave wrote:
Every time a company "wins" a generation they arrogant the arse out with their next and try to exploit their user base.

N64, PS3, XBone.

Yes, except the Wii sold more than 360.

TheVision wrote:

People will always want to sell mobile phones they just stole.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 15:59 

Aye, but I don't consider the Wii and competitor in the 360/PS3 arms race - and I'm sure they feel the same way. MS and Sony both want to leverage their other interests via their consoles. Consoles are Trojan Horses for them, whilst Nintendo just makes games for sake of games/profit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 19:05 

It's like Lush and Subway - they pump essence de nerd through the aircon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 19:10 
Sleepyhead

throughsilver wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

N64, PS3, XBone.

And the WiiU sucks.

QED.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 21:33 

Negative press has spread far beyond games blogs. The Motley Fool: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... unity.aspx

(Also Forbes, Time, the Guardian, ...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 22:23 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm amazed at all the negative press and comments. You'd think that Microsoft had enough time before launch to do something about this, but I don't think they will.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 22:24 
Worst

Curiosity wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

N64, PS3, XBone.

And the WiiU sucks.

QED.

I don't disagree, just feel the vicarious hubris was misplaced :)

In other news, there's a small detail that comes to my mind* each time I click on this thread. It's the use of verbs as nouns. I'm sure it's correct, but a 'reveal' (much like 'send me an invite', or 'that's a good get') just sounds off to me. I know it's commonplace, and I'm not dissing OP, but yeah, I think about it.

Plus, 'revelation' has a more epic feel to it.

I now return you to your scheduled thread.

* :hat:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 22:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I was just about to agree with you there Throughsilver then I realised that I started the thread! Maybe I should change the name? Yeah... Bear with me...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:38 
Sleepyhead

TheVision wrote:
I was just about to agree with you there Throughsilver then I realised that I started the thread! Maybe I should change the name? Yeah... Bear with me...

Okay.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:06 

The NeoGAF poster, Crazy Buttocks on a Train, has been at it again. Here's a translated version of his posts. Reminder that he or she has an accurate track record of insider info going back to before the 360.

Quote:
1. Confirmed Microsoft is actively attempting to get developers to not mention PS4 versions. If they don't say "OUR GAME IS EXCLUSIVE FOR XBONE" expect a PS4 version. #truthfact

2. More DRM messaging at Gamescom. There is no rental strategy. Try to sweep it under the rug and hope people don't remember.

3. Cloud power was designed as DRM. Period. DRM was Microsoft's idea. EA and Ubisoft are supporters, Activision slightly less so.

4. DRM plans are actually worse than what they've stated.

5. Mirror's Edge 2 at MS conference.

6. Prince of Persia (reboot?) at MS conference.

7. Secret Phil Spencer game = World of Tanks?

8. Live paywall still there.

9. Dead Rising 3, and exclusive DLC for another Capcom game at MS conference.

10. No online paywall for PS4. Unconfirmed.

11. No DRM info for PS4.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Whoo Mirrors Edge!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:27 

Rumoured to be an Xbox One exclusive, mind. Is that an "I'm buying a console" whoo?

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 52  Next