Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:15 
Hello Hello Hello

XBox Rules. Free cloud saves too.

XBOX is where it's at. Except if you want to play Nintendo games and PS4 exclusives.

Other than that it totes rules.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 
UltraMod

Yes, they've certainly turned things around, much like Sony did in the 2nd half of the PS3's lifespan.

If I were buying a console now between the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, it'd be the latter.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 
Excellent Member

I dunno, Sony still have the more compelling games catalogue by a massive margin and that's what it's all about for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:02 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
I dunno, Sony still have the more compelling games catalogue by a massive margin and that's what it's all about

OOOOH give me Sony Sony,
OOOOH give me Sony Sony,
OOOOH give me Sony Sony,
Xbox One X tra-la-la.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:09 
SavyGamer

I'd probably rather buy an Xbox One X over a PS4 Pro, but I already own a PS4 and don't have a 4k TV.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 13:14 
Hello Hello Hello

I think the best solution is to have an XB1X, a PS4Pro, and a Switch. And a gaming PC for HIGH-POWERED PC GAMES*

* Hearthstone.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 17:05 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
Yep, this should happen!

Yay! It just appeared in the list of 'Ready to install' games when I turned my XB1X on, installing it now, easy as that.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Well in fairness 720p does look a bit rough on a 55 inch screen but fundamentally it's still the same old awesome Burnout Revenge it always was.

It's very cool though, basically just a free game. I wonder if EA are happy about it, when they have new driving games they want to sell which are shitter.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think the publishers have to agree to making their games backward compatible so yeah, I imagine EA are fine with it. I'm sure there'll be people that don't own the game already that will be buying it from the Microsoft store.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 

Fair play to Microsoft: that’s really inspiring

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:49 
Unpossible!

That's excellent. The value of gaming for someone stuck in a chair must be huge.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 

Not gonna lie, got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye after watching that.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

GazChap wrote:
Not gonna lie, got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye after watching that.

Yep... As did I. That's an excellent tool they've developed there. Good work Microsoft.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:32 
Hibernating Druid

Superb.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 14:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My friends and I have been playing Sea of Thieves a fair bit since it came out and the new content for it has a giant shark that needs to be killed. The only way to do this is with more than the regular 4 members of your crew so last night... We had to rely on randoms to help us out.

And help us they did! We had 12 people on one boat all working together to thwart the giant shark. It was brilliant! Everyone was chatting and working together to the one goal. This is what playing online should be.

We tried to take a group photo at the end but it was raining and it was difficult to get everyone in the frame, but you get the idea.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:11 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Satsuma wrote:
Devolver Digitals conference was much better. Nina will knucklepunch you right in your muthafucking throat.

Devolver did another E3 presentation yesterday and its as glorious as last years

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 21:32 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

SWOS is now backwards compatible.

Brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 
Participant in dramatic games

yup, my 360 can finally die again https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ack-compat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 17:09 
Bad Girl

GAMES WITH GOLD, once again, FIRST, by me, Sat, your resident gaming know-how guy:

Xbox One:

Assault Android Cactus (July 1-31)($14.99) whut - apparently a twin stick shooter. Looks a bit rubbish.
Death Squared (July 16-August 15)($14.99) whut - apparently a puzzle game. Looks a bit rubbish.

Xbox 360:

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (July 1-15)($14.99) yay - a game about kicking people in the face.
Splinter Cell: Conviction (July 16-31)($19.99) yay - grizzled stealthy guy shoots people in the neck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 17:15 
Bad Girl

Actually I’ve changed my mind, that Cactus game looks like a bullet hell game. Me like those when they’re done good. Looks interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 23:27 
SavyGamer

AAC is excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 23:50 
Bad Girl

Assault Android Cactus is pretty entertaining and challenging. It’s a dire shame that the leaderboard shows that from my friends list (going back to the 360 days so it’s full up) those that played (probably about 6 people) only completed 5 levels and then stopped. Only Rodafowa has even progressed beyond the first stage.

Shame, it’s a natty little twin stick shooter. Nowt mind blowing or of Geo Wars excellence but good for a bit of a blast.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 23:53 
Esoteric

Quick question guys. I have looked up about replacing the hard drive with an SSD and I gotta say it terrifies me. However, would I benefit from better load times on something like FO4 (which I know does) on an external SSD? or is it not worth the bother? I must say I was quite amazed at how fast that 1tb drive is getting chomped up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 23:53 
Bad Girl

No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 23:55 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
No.

OK cool. Well that saves me a few bob then :)

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Couple of years old, but seems the answer is 'Yes'.

Do note however, that you'll be wanting to use an external SSD, and not faff about replacing the internal drive.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... ith-an-ssd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
Couple of years old, but seems the answer is 'Yes'.

Do note however, that you'll be wanting to use an external SSD, and not faff about replacing the internal drive.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... ith-an-ssd

Ah. I was sure I had read something at some point. Will probably pick up a 240 or something, I only really want it for Fallout.

Yeah not only did I read about how you have to clone your drive (sector by sector which takes an age) but my mate's boss messed his up and it took him hours to fix. Not something I really want to meddle with tbh.

I love my Xbox though. Going back a page or two I noticed you mentioned the media thing? yeah, it's simply awesome for that. I've been OK with the streaming thing (VLC, using my NAS) but I've not tried to stream anything in 4k yet.

I got the Rare collection installed last night, so I think an early night is in order because I have not played a single Rare game since Banjo Tooie on the N64. It all switched to Microsoft and I switched to a PC. I did play Underwurlde for a while, sheesh that bought back some memories man !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:26 
Bad Girl

Just checking my hard drive and it’s about 75% full and I’ve got 36 games on it. If I wanted to free up some space I’m sure I could delete some crap I’ve finished or never play out of those 36 games. I mean, just deleting Gears 5 would free up 100Gb. And it needs deleting for how crap it is.

EDIT: hang on, you were talking about SSDs. Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:30 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
Just checking my hard drive and it’s about 75% full and I’ve got 36 games on it. If I wanted to free up some space I’m sure I could delete some crap I’ve finished or never play out of those 36 games. I mean, just deleting Gears 5 would free up 100Gb. And it needs deleting for how crap it is.

EDIT: hang on, you were talking about SSDs. Meh.

Well I'm a bit of a Fallout boy so yeah, I am only really looking to improve that. I've only installed four games and half of my hdd is gone lol. GOW4 is 115gb :O

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 14:32 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
Assault Android Cactus is pretty entertaining and challenging. It’s a dire shame that the leaderboard shows that from my friends list (going back to the 360 days so it’s full up) those that played (probably about 6 people) only completed 5 levels and then stopped. Only Rodafowa has even progressed beyond the first stage.

Shame, it’s a natty little twin stick shooter. Nowt mind blowing or of Geo Wars excellence but good for a bit of a blast.

If Rodafowa is still lurking about, just know that I’ve annihilated all your Zone 4 scores.

Pow pow!

Zone 4 was ace. Difficulty upped and some great arena designs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:45 
Esoteric

Given my stupid decision to bathe my wounds last night (stupid because they went all mushy and started weeping) I decided to just go to bed early and spend a few hours playing FO4. In four hours I had one part where it got a bit choppy. However, the PC version does the same thing, so I easily forgave it.

What a console though. Each time I use it I fall in love with it a bit more. Got stuck yesterday on something daft (couldn't find a door hidden in a shadow after about an hour of going around in circles) so pressed the home button, loaded up Youtube, got my answer, straight back to the game. They've really put some work into the OS tbh. I really thought I was going to have to load up the game again but nope, there it was sitting paused waiting for my return.

I think I need a new controller though as my console didn't come with one (it was suitably cheap though). After a few hours my controller starts getting stuck. Like, stuck a bit left (which makes lock picking almost impossible) and so on. It is very old though, and not the snazzy new Bluetooth one.

Choppers - I streamed a 2160p video last night from my very old NAS (10mb) and after about 30 seconds of stuttering it played OK. Everything else is practically instant, though I have noticed a bug in VLC. When you get to about 80% of the way through a film (if you are forwarding) it freezes. Only way to get it going again is to reboot the console.

Also forgot to add. I have one of these too.

It's fantastic. I had to buy something given my controller doesn't have a headphone jack (rev 1) and this thing works brilliantly. Especially for when you have to fill out forms, or input a UN/PW. The only thing I don't like about it is the location of the jack. I play my Xbox in bed, and I lay on my back. Thus, when you put the controller in you can't rest it on your tummy :( having said that though, the other adaptor they make is exactly the same without the keypad and cost a whopping £1 less. And it didn't come with a free headset.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 13:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have one of those too. Did you know that the x1 and x2 buttons are short cuts for screenshots and screen recording?

You do now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 13:56 
Esoteric

TheVision wrote:
I have one of those too. Did you know that the x1 and x2 buttons are short cuts for screenshots and screen recording?

You do now.

I do ! cheers buddy I didn't know that :D

Well I just played some more Fallout and the controller is a bit screwed. It stutters when going to the right and flies to the left. I think it's the right stick that has died. Well, it's dying. I wonder if it's worth seeing if you can clean it or something? it seems like a sensor issue.

Ed. Feex ! I followed a tutorial for taking it apart and cleaning it (and swapping the most worn stick for the other) and it seems to have worked. Gave the mechs a good blow to clear anything in there and touch wood it seems to be fine now :)

It's quite common apparently. I must say it has to be getting on for five years old now, so I was expecting to be buying a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 13:03 
Esoteric

Oh how I love my Xbox. It's seriously amazing. With the bike crash a couple of weeks ago I've been laid up. Not because I was in pain, but because I had to let my body heal. It was so boring. Walking around with enormous great scabs on my leg and arm soon made them crack, which made them itch, which drove me nuts. So I decided to just take my medicine and instead of doing anything physical just stay laid on the bed with the fan on.

I have put 28 hours into Fallout 4 and enjoyed every moment. I played GOW4 with my pal on Sunday for about two hours, but do find it a bit movie like and repetitive. However, I still can not get over the ease of using the thing. I could play FO4 for four hours, get bored, go directly to either Netflix or Amazon, watch some teev, then go straight back to my game with no loading at all.

It really is utterly fabulous. And it is all so easy and so seamless. When I am done? I just shut it down, which in turn switches the TV off etc.

Going back to the games.. State Of Decay 2. Is it pony? or worth having? I know there is the Walking Dead game coming at some point later this year, but my pal and I do love our zombie romps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 13:22 
Bad Girl

Speaking of how good the Xbox is, I was playing Prey yesterday when it did crashed after I’d been replaying a section multiple times making me lose all my progress.

Great piece of kit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 16:25 
Prince of Fops

Bit of a red letter day for Xbox Games with Gold:

August Games with Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 17:25 
Bad Girl

Blimey, For Honour is a bit of a shocker.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Is it supposed to be good and/or interesting? I've never heard of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 
SavyGamer

Forza Horizon 2 is likely being delisted soon, so a good chance to pick it up for anyone who hasn't played it already.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:
Is it supposed to be good and/or interesting? I've never heard of it.

It’s the Ubisoft competitive sword fighting game. They wanted it to be the next Rainbow Six: Siege but it hasn’t quite taken off. To be fair, it had an equally rocky start with issues relating to balancing, bugs, servers, connection etc. Apparently they’ve sorted it out and it’s in a much better place these days. If you like online PvP it should be interesting. If you’re after any sort of single player campaign you probably won’t be interested.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 14:48 
Esoteric

JohnCoffey wrote:
Oh how I love my Xbox. It's seriously amazing.

FFS. Trust me to say that...

So the other night my Xbox decided it wanted to have a meltdown. I tried to load Fallout 4 and got a message about corrupt saves. It loaded up OK, though. I then spent two hours playing FO4 only for the same message to come up and it totally lost all two hours of progress.

In the end I had to restore my save games after deleting them (putting me two hours back) and then restore the entire sodding console.

Is this sort of thing common? or should I be really worried? I've not played it much since, maybe an hour or two last night and it all seemed to be OK. It also happened when I first installed Quantum Break, but apparently that can make the same thing happen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 15:04 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have never had this happen to me and I use mine a fair bit. It sounds like you could have just been unlucky.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 15:14 
Esoteric

It's common with the 1x and Quantum Break apparently. I did have problems initially, but a restore worked then. I have not played it since.

Been doing some digging and apparently it is quite common. If a resto doesn't work you have to return it for warranty, which thankfully it has until Jan next year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 18:42 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Oh how I love my Xbox. It's seriously amazing.

FFS. Trust me to say that...

So the other night my Xbox decided it wanted to have a meltdown. I tried to load Fallout 4 and got a message about corrupt saves. It loaded up OK, though. I then spent two hours playing FO4 only for the same message to come up and it totally lost all two hours of progress.

In the end I had to restore my save games after deleting them (putting me two hours back) and then restore the entire sodding console.

Is this sort of thing common? or should I be really worried? I've not played it much since, maybe an hour or two last night and it all seemed to be OK. It also happened when I first installed Quantum Break, but apparently that can make the same thing happen.

I bought the "Day One" release model (or whatever you call it) I wanted to have Skype in the living room and the Xbox One is one of the few things you can still do this on.

I don't really have much time for gaming and if I do someone else wants to use the TV. I do download the Gold games most months and as such have filled the 500GB internal and added a 1TB USB 3 drive

That is all I've done to it and yet I find the experience on the console fucking dreadful.

Skype just doesn't work I call my Dad and it just cuts the call or rings endlessly. I can pick up an Ipad and have a call no issues.

The OS is slow, I put an Audiobook CD in there yesterday and it took 90 seconds for Groove to open. It's also slow to navigate and also download things, it's on ethernet yet I never see anything close to my download speed.

Not impressed given the little use it gets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:34 
Esoteric

Came home last night, Xbox took a shit again. Corrupt files again apparently. This is the last time I am running a restore on it (full, wiped everything) before it goes back.

To add. Played some FO4 and I am getting corrupt graphics. Like big square blocks instead of shadows. Have set up an RMA. All I can imagine is that the huge sessions on FO4 during the scorching heat has damaged it. *sigh*.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:33 
Esoteric

Update. I think I finally fixed my console. I think it was Quantum Break causing havoc with the saved games. Thankfully it seems to have been behaving since I did a full reset and wipe..

I do have a couple of Qs for those with experience.. Firstly, is the elite controller worth bothering with? or should I just buy a standard wireless? secondly, does any one make bigger, fatter, longer lasting chargeable batteries per chance? a good session on Fallout 4 usually leaves mine flat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:51 
Hello Hello Hello

A couple of mates have the Elite controller and they swear by it. It certainly is magnificent to hold in the hand but whether or not it's that much better than the standard controller? Not sure TBH.

As for batteries just buy a couple of boxes of JVC alkalines from somewhere like Battery Force, work out very cheap per battery and they're as long lasting as any IMO. (The rechargeable packs all have crappy capacities compared to proper alkaline AAs, in my experience.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:56 
Esoteric

OK I might get a controller then. By the logic that I have had mine for bloody years and it looks a bit battered. I've actually got some batteries (rechargeable good ones) but am using two Venom packs which tbh are very light and puny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 16:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have an elite controller as it came with my console. I definitely don't think that it's worth the money they're charging for it.

In my opinion, it's only as good as an Xbox 360 controller. They were always solid and a fantastic pad. The standard Xbox One pads are a step backwards if you ask me. They're creaky and don't feel as solid as they should. The elite controller does come with extra paddles but I've since taken mine off as I didn't use them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 21:23 
Paws for thought

I have an elite controller as I got drunk one night and then a couple of days later I got an unexpected package.

It is nice and heavy. Although I do find I don't really use the rear buttons as they're a bit awkward certainly when using all four.. And it's not as robust as I might expect for the money.

Overall, but prticualrly due to not lasting sl ong, I'd just stick with the standard controller.

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 52  Next