Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crafty stuff
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:04 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
They’re a shade easier than a machine with a bobbin case, I think. Some people really prefer them, but I find them much of a muchness can’t wait to see the new shiny, though!!!

I watched a video on YouTube, it certainly looks more straightforward, although that could be the simple instructions on the machine. I don't really understand how it picks up the bobbin thread, but I'm sure it will make more sense when I can have a go of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 13:14 

I’ve watched so many videos and so many diagrams as to how the too thread loops the bobbin, and just when I think I’ve got it, I haven’t. I am now fully committed to ‘magic’ as an acceptable explanation.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 13:33 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
I’ve watched so many videos and so many diagrams as to how the too thread loops the bobbin, and just when I think I’ve got it, I haven’t. I am now fully committed to ‘magic’ as an acceptable explanation.

Works for me! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 18:55 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
@goddess Jasmine Og, what a shame!! there’s usually a tiny little screw in the bobbin set-up that can adjust tension, but usually you never need to touch the bobbin tension on a Brother drop-in bobbin machine. Tensioning should be altered using the top thread 99.5% of the time. Just in case, take out and put the bobbin in a couple of times (making sure it’s the right way around and following the thread channel to the cutting blade) and when you pull it through there should be some ‘drag’ on the tension. If it feels to pull through loose, take it out and start again. Make sure you have the right depth bobbin in (the one that came with it) as there are some that are about 1mm narrower and they won’t tension properly.

If you have a machine where the bobbin tension has shipped with it not properly set then you are incredibly unlucky but hopefully will be able to set it. Your machine is like a fancier version of mine (which is the FS100WT I think). Your machine is gorgeous. Happy sewing.

Thought I'd reply in here so as not to take over the things that we have brought thread.

I think it was a mixture of things really. The only fabric I had to hand that wasn't stretch was cotton poplin, so very thin. I was using the thread that came with it, Brildor, which seems to be quite robust. After I'd posted I did take out the bobbin and rethread it along with playing with the tension - that did seem to make a difference - if in doubt, re-thread right? :)

I haven't had it out again since unfortunately. It's right here next to me, but I've been working on my report again today (I've been asked to work on that rather than attend training on Monday, but this training will be a good thing for me to have, so I'm choosing to do it in my own time for my own gain). Currently my work desk and sewing desk are one and the same, and I need to get this report finished tomorrow. I'm hoping it won't take more than a couple of hours, then I can have the afternoon sewing. I have some gifts to get finished. Also, pants. Always pants.

ETA: It's SO quiet. Joans didn't even realise I was testing it, he thought I was working - it practically purrs, I love it. :hug:

I love the hand/button controls too - I didn't even plug the pedal in. I will do, obviously I need to test everything, but it's just so convenient. AND it does buttonholes. It's SO different from last machine, I can tell how much of an upgrade it is. I had started to get a bit bored of it and was using my serger more, but trying this out has made me want to sew with cotton again. I can see some hats and bags in my future.

Did you manager to finish the hats for you and Russ?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 19:09 

Oh, I’m so pleased for you. YES, they are such quiet machines. I’ve got used to how quiet mine is now, but when I first used it I thought it was amazing. Yours is a fancier version of my machine.

Some things I love about it are: the max stitch speed selector, push button (no pedal) sewing, THAT THE THREAD CUTTER CUTS THE THREAD LONG ENOUGH SO IT DOESN’T GET SUCKED BSCK INFO THE BOBBIN, always ending on the needle down position. But yeah, the adjustable top speed is amazing, because I’m a pedal-to-the-floor sewer, so now I can sew at a normal speed. Did you get a wide quilting table extension with yours? I lost mine (twice) once when I got it and again when we moved, and finally found it again today.

I did make more hats, yes :D one each for Russell and I. I narrowed the brim a tad on Russell’s to make it more of a man’s hat, whilst still giving effective shade.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:12 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Oh, I’m so pleased for you. YES, they are such quiet machines. I’ve got used to how quiet mine is now, but when I first used it I thought it was amazing. Yours is a fancier version of my machine.

Some things I love about it are: the max stitch speed selector, push button (no pedal) sewing, THAT THE THREAD CUTTER CUTS THE THREAD LONG ENOUGH SO IT DOESN’T GET SUCKED BSCK INFO THE BOBBIN, always ending on the needle down position. But yeah, the adjustable top speed is amazing, because I’m a pedal-to-the-floor sewer, so now I can sew at a normal speed. Did you get a wide quilting table extension with yours? I lost mine (twice) once when I got it and again when we moved, and finally found it again today.

I did make more hats, yes :D one each for Russell and I. I narrowed the brim a tad on Russell’s to make it more of a man’s hat, whilst still giving effective shade.

I did get an extension table, yes. It looks like I have more stitch options, but yours can be used for free motion embroidery, so I don't think there's much of a difference.

Ooh, would love to see pictures of the hats if you get a chance. :)

I haven't set it up yet today, but hopefully can have a proper play around with it this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 19:32 
Best
Board Mother

First stupid question. There is polystyrene inside the top of the hard case. It's pretty fixed in, but means it just balances on the machine. I'm guessing it's just packaging and I'm supposed to take it out so it fits more snugly?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 19:58 

Nope. It stays in there. I had exactly the same thought when I got mine so had to try and work out, and eventually found somewhere online where Brother says it is supposed to stay in. It’s glued into place.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 20:40 
Best
Board Mother

Yeah, it's fixed pretty solidly so I didn't want to just rip it out. Is it just meant to balance on top then, or should I've gently trying to push it down? I don't want to force anything.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 21:33 

It pretty much just balances on top. You’ll see the when you pick it up with the case on the combined handle has a good heft and is quite comfortable to old, and if it did compress down its do so then anyway (but it doesn’t). I agree, it’s unexpected. Also it means the case doesn’t reach the bottom of the machine, which makes you think it’s not fitting properly!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 18:10 

I made a little shirt out of really light cotton, for D. I figured that if we ever do get any hot weather this way it’d be good as something to help cover up but still stay cool. I used some leftovers of something I made years ago (so many years o actually can’t remember what it was now), and my only slight disappointment is that because I pattern matched it (even all the neck facings, because something makes me do that) it hides the nice neckline and construction details. There’s not really anything I could do about that as otherwise it’d look a shambles, but it’s the version/view on the right. If it seems to work for time out in the garden I’ll get a couple of light cotton/linen blends and make a couple more out of some plain fabric. The high-low hem is a bit of a pain to turn, but otherwise it’s easy peasy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 18:11 

Oh, and having both the sewing machine and overlocker plugged in and ready at the same time so I could just swap between them was amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:59 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Oh, and having both the sewing machine and overlocker plugged in and ready at the same time so I could just swap between them was amazing.

I'm toying with the idea of getting an overlocker. Didn't ever need one as I was mostly quilting, but now I know I'm going to be making baby clothes more and working with jersey materials, I might explore it more.

You're a very neat and tidy sewer Meems, your topstitching is beautiful.

I made a dress for Luna, it was fiddly because it's so little!! This one is 3-6 months.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:13 

That’s precious. And the print is gorgeous. A clever neckline for giant baby heads, too!

An overlocker isn’t essential, but if you’re going to be making a lot with knits they are a solid investment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 21:23 
Best
Board Mother

Managed to finish off a few bits this weekend.

First up, a set for my friends little boy's first birthday, he was going to the zoo.

It was t-shirt and shorts to begin with, but I made emergency trousers because this is England.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 21:26 

Super cute, Jazzy! He’ll cherish those. They are absolutely smashing. I love the contrast fabric carrying through all of the pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 21:26 
Best
Board Mother

Dress for a little girl that loves elephants.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 21:28 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Super cute, Jazzy! He’ll cherish those. They are absolutely smashing. I love the contrast fabric carrying through all of the pieces.

Thank you, I hope they are liked. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 21:44 

Hahaha! You can tell how much she adores it. Fab photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:44 
Can you dig it?

The clothes that you have all been making are super-lovely and I hope the kids (and their parents) enjoy something that has been specially made.

I forget how cute small clothes can be, and how fab some fabric/prints are.

Our kids have been into superhero stuff for a long time, so while they have some cool clothes, Minecraft t shirts just don't have the same charm as those sweet innocent prints. I actually felt a bit moved looking at those pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:33 
Best
Board Mother

Aww, thank you. What a lovely thing to say.

You can get fabric that has superheroes and videogames characters on it that is really different to what you get on store bought clothes. But I am a sucker for bright fun prints on children. It's probably a good job that mine are grown up, or I could spend a fortune on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 16:22 
Best
Board Mother

@mimi @Flis Waves and wild have a half price sale on starting tomorrow.

https://www.wavesandwild.com/shop/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 16:33 

Aw, super. I might get myself some joggers and dungaree patterns.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 13:44 
Best
Board Mother

Made my nephew a couple of jumpers as his parents we struggling to get him to wear one (not in this heat) and he loves cars, so I'm hoping these help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 13:58 

Not in this heat? Is it hot where you are? I am quite literally shivering here.

Anyway, they’re beautiful, and I hope your nephew takes to them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 18:24 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Not in this heat? Is it hot where you are? I am quite literally shivering here.

Anyway, they’re beautiful, and I hope your nephew takes to them.

Yes, it's been in the mid 20s. We've been wearing t-shirts and shorts for days.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 18:30 

Giphy "narrows eyes":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/wYRRFhjKTyRhXXXCaP/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 22:20 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Giphy "narrows eyes":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/nmlDukof6MmBvK1Zui/giphy-loop.mp4

You feel the cold much more than me and I'm pretty much always warm. It could be the same temperature and I'd be in shorts and you'd be under a blanket. :D

I made these to finish off the elephant fabric too. The plain cycling shorts are to go with the top made before.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 15:58 

I knit a jumper for D. It was going to be for his birthday next week but I’m going to give it to him today, as it’s been his first day back at school and I miss him a lot. It’s been too quiet all day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 16:35 
sneering elitist

That is SO nice. I love it :luv:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 17:18 
Best
Board Mother

Before I read your post I actually thought that you'd made it out of the fabric I sent you! :D

It really is beautiful though, I'd wear that. D is one lucky boy. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:15 

Thankee both! I do love it ever so much. I’ve got some sewing to do as well soon and have made some T-shirts and things recently because D has grown out of so much. It’s ok in summer as he has grown lengthways, so shorts just get a little shorter and T-shirts the same in the body, but come autumn the trouser hems and and sleeves that are too short are far more noticeable.

I was going to buy some things, but it seems that once boys reach 6 years of age they are limited to black, grey, white and navy. Maybe a dark khaki green for a bit of pizazz…:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:01 
Can you dig it?

That rainbow jumper is amazing (nice photography too)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:04 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
I was going to buy some things, but it seems that once boys reach 6 years of age they are limited to black, grey, white and navy. Maybe a dark khaki green for a bit of pizazz…:rolleyes:

Urgh, tell me about it. :S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:09 
Can you dig it?

We're still in the heavy character-branded clothes stage with our boys. Minecraft, Lego, Star Wars.

Our daughter, on the other hand, has loads of beautiful clothes with charming designs or prints.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:15 
sneering elitist

My eldest is at the stage where she pretty much chooses to wear black, but most clothes targeted at her are pink, and yet my son wants to wear pink and all "boys" clothes are dark and ugly.

We do a lot of clothes swapping / shopping across the aisles in this house :DD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:31 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I love the jumper...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:02 

Jem wrote:
My eldest is at the stage where she pretty much chooses to wear black, but most clothes targeted at her are pink, and yet my son wants to wear pink and all "boys" clothes are dark and ugly.

We do a lot of clothes swapping / shopping across the aisles in this house :DD

I used to shop across the aisles a lot, when I went in shops, but even then we hit a stage where the girls clothes were all cut ridiculous. Shorts that just skimmed the bum, T-shirts much shorter than in the boys section, wider necklines, huge ruffles on the hems or shoulders.

There is absolutely no bed to have a different cut of shorts or T-shirts for girls and boys at these age. I honestly just want a nice unisex cut in bright colours, but they are nigh on impossible to find without spending stupid money’s (even our beloved Maxamorra trousers top out on size… Darwin’s are half way up his shins but he refuses to let them go, they are his favourite things to wear).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:03 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
That rainbow jumper is amazing (nice photography too)

Thank you. I took the pictures with my phone. Profesh!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:38 
Best
Board Mother

I made this for my niece a couple of weeks ago.

My overlocker broke again shortly after. New parts on order.

Not really browsing new overlockers...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:08 

That’s very lovely. I love the little pink neckline binding. Your overlocker is really giving you trouble. I wonder if something is out of alignment?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:17 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
That’s very lovely. I love the little pink neckline binding. Your overlocker is really giving you trouble. I wonder if something is out of alignment?

Pretty sure this is my fault. I'd noticed the blade wasn't cutting properly but carried on using it anyway. I think some uncut fabric got stuck and that broke the upper looper (again).

New blade is here, just waiting for the upper looper to arrive. I'm frustrated because I'm at home this weekend and want to make the new W and W bra (and finish off Sam's pants that broke the overlocker in the first place :D). But the looper is due to arrive on Wednesday.

#firstworldproblems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:34 

Oh, I’d be interested to hear what you think about the bra. I tried to buy it yesterday but the site was timing out and tried this morning but it keeps failing at checkout, so I gave up.

I’d really like a good soft bra pattern. My only concerns are that I don’t find cross fronts that comfy (though I think a fake cover stitch over the cross should help that) and the cross back straps, which I seem to get in a tangle when I put them on, but also I find sit very close to my neck, so they can be a bit conspicuous and not always comfortable for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 
Best
Board Mother

Oh yes, the site completely crashed! I was just resting on the sofa though, so managed to get it. It's printed off and waiting for me to cut my fabric. I might do it this afternoon.

It looks like it does come down reasonably low at the back, and there's already been hacks for straight straps from the testers. Pretty sure I saw one where they had adjusted to remove the crossover too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 

I wasn’t sure whether to post this in the advent calendars thread or this one, but here is the advent calendar I made for Darwin. It’s a copy of our house, to celebrate our first Christmas here (though I hope we’ll be using it for many years). There’s a box of decorations and a tree in the loft, and our two Christmas trees and rainbow wreath.

Though I’ve blanked it out in the picture, there is also a road sign with our street name in the bottom left.

It took me a ridiculously long time, on and off, and I only finished it yesterday night. Each door has a little tree decoration in it for Bean to hang on his own little Christmas tree that I bought him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Absolutley delightful!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:08 
Master of dodgy spelling....

That is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:10 

That's wonderful!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:39 

Aw, thanks folks!

It feels like ages ago since I started it, so I’m glad I got it finished in time. I thought it’d be a nice thing to mark what we’ve done this year. I’ve put a little message on the back to say what year it was made and why I made it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 13:27 
sneering elitist

I love it Mimi :luv:

Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next