And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Important Engagement News
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
It is ungentlemanly to correct another man's wife.

Safer than correcting your own though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:22 
Sleepyhead

Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:

How can you correct someone who is always right?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:23 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:

How can you correct someone who is always right?

Calipers.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:20 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Hoorah! Firm congratually handshakes and backslaps all round!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Russell wrote:
Thank you everyone :)

It means a lot to be able to tell you guys x

Can we talk about video games now? ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:36 
Chinny chin chin

Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:
Amazing news! So pleased for both of you! I love the ring, such a pretty setting. That was the sort of ring that I wanted for ages, and it was only about a year ago I saw the style I ended up with and fell in love with it as well. Did Russell chose it alone or was it a joint decision? Whoever chose it has great taste :)
I am so ridiculously momentously happy for you both, I love engagement news :D x

Russell chose the ring all by himself. I had no input whatsoever,

Thank god you aren't dating Craster. He would have ordered it drunk from Bid Up TV.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

So have you set a date yet or is that it now Russ? You've done your bit and the rest is up to Mimi?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:59 
baron of techno

Congrats.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 13:05 

Congratulations to you both :D

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:06 
Ready for action

Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:
Amazing news! So pleased for both of you! I love the ring, such a pretty setting. That was the sort of ring that I wanted for ages, and it was only about a year ago I saw the style I ended up with and fell in love with it as well. Did Russell chose it alone or was it a joint decision? Whoever chose it has great taste :)
I am so ridiculously momentously happy for you both, I love engagement news :D x

Russell chose the ring all by himself. I had no input whatsoever, and it is just perfect for me. I am so impressed as he has told me all about researching different diamond cuts, and different types of diamond grading scales for clarity and colour and all sorts of stuff I don't understand, but he now seems to be an expert in. I don't know about any of that stuff, but I can see that it is beautiful and that I will love it and him both forever.

Did he keep it a total surprise then? And get really nervous trying to decide when to do it?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:12 
Hibernating Druid

Mimi wrote:
Russell chose the ring all by himself. I had no input whatsoever, and it is just perfect for me. I am so impressed as he has told me all about researching different diamond cuts, and different types of diamond grading scales for clarity and colour and all sorts of stuff I don't understand, but he now seems to be an expert in before deciding on the second cheapest

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:13 

sdg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:

Russell chose the ring all by himself. I had no input whatsoever, and it is just perfect for me. I am so impressed as he has told me all about researching different diamond cuts, and different types of diamond grading scales for clarity and colour and all sorts of stuff I don't understand, but he now seems to be an expert in. I don't know about any of that stuff, but I can see that it is beautiful and that I will love it and him both forever.

Did he keep it a total surprise then? And get really nervous trying to decide when to do it?

Well, we had one of those finger measury things, and we had spoken about it and we thought we'd get engaged before Christmas, which to me meant 'just before Christmas' (perhaps on my birthday?) but yes, I wasn't expecting it yesterday,by a long shot. In fact, I did mention that he had been REALLY fidgety yesterday, and I was worried that he was unwell, or nervous about going to visit my nan (though we have vivited her quite a few times before, and he often speaks to her on the phone, so I wasn't sure why). I don't think he'd mind admitting that he was a little bit shaky when he asked, and his voice broke up a bit, then he got a little bit teary, but it was just perfect.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:14 

Zardoz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Russell chose the ring all by himself. I had no input whatsoever, and it is just perfect for me. I am so impressed as he has told me all about researching different diamond cuts, and different types of diamond grading scales for clarity and colour and all sorts of stuff I don't understand, but he now seems to be an expert in before deciding on the second cheapest

I genuinely wouldn't care if was the the cheapest ring he could find. It's beautiful and I love it, and if it were the thinnest band of the cheapest metal I would still feel just as happy.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:15 
Hibernating Druid

My mother in law took Mrs Z out and then they decided which ring I was buying.

Bloody platinum too, and not the budget game kind ffs.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:17 
Hibernating Druid

Mimi wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I genuinely wouldn't care if was the the cheapest ring he could find. It's beautiful and I love it, and if it were the thinnest band of the cheapest metal I would still feel just as happy.

Hey you can chill out with the nice act now, you've landed him.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
im just being a twat :luv: its lovely and I'm chuffed for you both x

I'm sure it was a high mid range ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:
I'm sure it was a high mid range

Good for sand or very loose surfaces, especially if you're driving uphill. Otherwise you should really choose low range.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 14:25 

Congratulations Mimi and Russ! Most Excellent News indeed!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:02 
Excellent Member

Well done to you both.

Enjoy the wedding I enjoyed planning (not to mention attending) our wedding

Nothing quite like the bit where you walk into the room for the meal last and they all clap.

Book a good honeymoon as well, before you know it you will have a kid on the way like me and long haul decadent holidays will be a thing of the past.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:03 
Chinny chin chin

asfish wrote:
Nothing quite like the bit where you walk into the room for the meal last and they all clap.

Who are you, Bruce Forsyth?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:10 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
asfish wrote:

Don't get the pun

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:20 
Ready for action

Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:

Well, we had one of those finger measury things, and we had spoken about it and we thought we'd get engaged before Christmas, which to me meant 'just before Christmas' (perhaps on my birthday?) but yes, I wasn't expecting it yesterday,by a long shot. In fact, I did mention that he had been REALLY fidgety yesterday, and I was worried that he was unwell, or nervous about going to visit my nan (though we have vivited her quite a few times before, and he often speaks to her on the phone, so I wasn't sure why). I don't think he'd mind admitting that he was a little bit shaky when he asked, and his voice broke up a bit, then he got a little bit teary, but it was just perfect.

That's wonderful :) I still get a wee bit teary when I think about mine! I had a ring sizer too but I had all but given up hope it would happen. I always wondered (and worried) about wearing an engagement ring, because I'm not one for jewellery, but now I hate not having it on. It's become a bit of a habit to touch my thumb to the back of my finger and feel the band, and I've noticed I do it when I'm thinking, or stressed. I don't wear it at work and as soon as I get in the car to drive home I panic if I haven't put it back on yet.
I'm honestly so pleased for you both and hope you really enjoy planning the wedding. Try not to let family politics stress you out, stay true to what you want your day to be and don't end up spending loads of money on things for the wedding if you would rather spend it on the honeymoon. Xx

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:20 
Chinny chin chin

asfish wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
asfish wrote:

Don't get the pun

The only people in everyday life who expect to be clapped as they enter a room are entertainers.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

sdg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:

That's wonderful :) I still get a wee bit teary when I think about mine! I had a ring sizer too but I had all but given up hope it would happen. I always wondered (and worried) about wearing an engagement ring, because I'm not one for jewellery, but now I hate not having it on. It's become a bit of a habit to touch my thumb to the back of my finger and feel the band, and I've noticed I do it when I'm thinking, or stressed. I don't wear it at work and as soon as I get in the car to drive home I panic if I haven't put it back on yet.
I'm honestly so pleased for you both and hope you really enjoy planning the wedding. Try not to let family politics stress you out, stay true to what you want your day to be and don't end up spending loads of money on things for the wedding if you would rather spend it on the honeymoon. Xx

Mrs T can't wear hers for work either, and hates that. Plus the band that will go with it is shaped around the setting, so she won't be able to wear that either, as it will look silly on its own!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:27 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
asfish wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
asfish wrote:

Don't get the pun

The only people in everyday life who expect to be clapped as they enter a room are entertainers.

Ah ok sorry, at our wedding when we went for the sit down meal, we had to go in last and a guy said "please be upstanding etc etc" Then all the guests clapped. I liked that bit, as I'm in no way an entertainer hence the enjoyment :DD

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:30 
Chinny chin chin

asfish wrote:
Ah ok sorry, at our wedding when we went for the sit down meal, we had to go in last and a guy said "please be upstanding etc etc" Then all the guests clapped. I liked that bit, as I'm in no way an entertainer hence the enjoyment :DD

You should have hooned it in like Matthew Kelly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RcdAngCM4NM#t=41s

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:31 
Excellent Member

Quote:
I always wondered (and worried) about wearing an engagement ring, because I'm not one for jewellery, but now I hate not having it on

After we got married my wife got into running and used to go at lunch time from work. She would take her rings off before she went. One day she put them down somewhere and we never found them again.

You need specific insurance (Jewellery in transit or something) so I had to buy the engagement ring again, her mother gave her a wedding band that belonged to her grandmother.

My wife even worked me over and got a bigger stone in the 2nd one!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 15:38 
Sleepyhead

Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:

... gay!

[/ShaunOfTheDead]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 18:05 

Thanks, folks. Now that we are back home from work I have had a proper read of the thread and everyone's kind words and sentiments are very much treasured.

We haven't even started to think about dates and arrangements, though about ten people at work have asked me when it will be today (is it normal to have things like that planned already?! I am enjoying the glow of this at the moment so haven't even begun to think about things like timings yet).

I had what would have been one of the most stressful days I had every experienced at work today, but as it happens that stress couldn't touch me today.

I'm feeling a little bit tired and worn out now we are home from work and trying to relax, but it's been a wonderful last 24 hours.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 19:23 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
I have already sought to secure Jazzy as my maid of honour, and she has agreed.

I fear you haven't thought this through.

*orders cases of wine and books Darryl as a gorillagram*

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 19:46 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Post subject: Important Engagement News
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 20:21 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I have already sought to secure Jazzy as my maid of honour, and she has agreed.

I fear you haven't thought this through.

Totally thought it through!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 20:26 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Heartiest congratulations! Hugs and kisses all round.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 16:37 
I forgot about this - how vain

This.
Is.
Amazing.

I thought Russell's amazingness peaked that time I discovered years and years into forumness that we went to university together.

So happy for you both.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 19:03 
Excellent Member

Sorry guys, being the infrequent lurker that I am, I have only just seen this.

Congratulations, you make a most excellent couple.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 20:13 

Thanks folks :D

It's been a wonderful few days and it's lovely to read all of the well-wishes! We've spent the last few evenings making things together (not babies! Some candles, some beer that we are brewing, and a few other bits) and for the next few evenings we are occupied with friends and workmates.

Lovely moment today when we were given a voucher that work had all chipped in a little for, plus a card signed by everyone in the department apart from the one girl who has given me filthy looks every day since I started there. I looked for her name and giggled to myself that it was the only signature not present :)

We bought a slow cooker and some heart shaped crockery with the voucher on the way home. The slow cooker I have wanted for a while and the bowls were just cute!

I'm waffling now, I know, but the plumber is here.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 21:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Make pulled pork!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 22:25 
Hibernating Druid

There's plenty of time for pulled pork after marriage.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:08 

Grim... wrote:
Make pulled pork!

Russell asked fir this straight away. I shall look into a recipe for the magic box.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 

He's going to be so disappointed when he finds out you've got a slow cooker.

Oh, and belated congratulations to you both, am already looking forward to the beex themed wedding.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:46 
Excellent Member

Congratulations!
Weddings are great :)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

Joans wrote:

Oh, and belated congratulations to you both, am already looking forward to the beex themed wedding.

Half the guests flounce out before the end?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:51 

Only half?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Make pulled pork!

Russell asked fir this straight away. I shall look into a recipe for the magic box.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1360&p=414605&hilit=discard#p414605

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Om to the nom nom nom

Attachment:
2013-05-10 20.02.09.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
Joans wrote:

A great start, a big bust up at the reception, an extended honeymoon period and then slowly dwindling off to a few regulars?

Actually, that sounds like a lot of marriages.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 

There's no wedding list, just a cover charge of £2 a month.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Congratulations.

I think I'm more surprised that Mimi is about this whole event. Is there a BEEX weeks for who's dating who?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pod wrote:
I think I'm more surprised that Mimi is about this whole event. Is there a BEEX weeks for who's dating who?

I had to look at that several times before I realised "that" should be a "than".

At least you've given the Beex Weexer an idea for this week:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:09 

Trooper wrote:

And join a splinter wedding at the smaller venue over the road?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:38 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trooper wrote:

And join a splinter wedding at the smaller venue over the road?

And when asked if there is a legal impediment, a protracted discussion follows for the next half an hour before those involved become bored and start talking about soemthing quite different, but only after blaming those scheming tories.

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next