Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Airmiles
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 13:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

So, I have a fair amount of Avios points. Just over 107k in fact, so I should be able to do something with those, shouldn't I?

First thought, I'll use them to upgrade my honeymoon flights to a higher class. Nope, can't do that, can only do that on the flexible highest priced tickets.
Ok, so why don't I use the points to buy the flight tickets instead? Nope, cost of the tickets on top of the points is more than I can get them elsewhere without using any avios points at all.
Ok, so why don't I book the whole honeymoon through avios? Nope, same holiday is twice the price via Avios, and uses all of my points as well.

Ok, give up on that, I'll save them and do something else with them. Had the bright idea of going to Disneyland Paris next weekend for free on them. Nope, all points used plus £550 needed to do that, due the eurostar tickets costing a fortune in avios points.

I give up, I guess i'll just use them to buy a few boxes of shit wine. Oh, that's actually not a bad idea, depending on corkage charge for the wedding reception! It won't be me drinking it anyway :D

Bloody Avios, has anybody actually managed to use them for anything useful?

Post subject: Re: Airmiles
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 15:54 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Huh, in that case the 450 I have lost in the void somewhere might get me a free post-it or an old pen lid or something.

I guess you need in the millions to actually get anything valuable from them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 16:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

100,000 is enough for a flight to australia, apparently. But then supposedly you could upgrade an economy ticket to first class for 50,000, apart from all the small print which turns out you can't unless you bought your ticket on a tuesday from a man in peru.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 16:27 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
But then supposedly you could upgrade an economy ticket to first class for 50,000, apart from all the small print which turns out you can't unless you bought your ticket on a tuesday from a man in peru.

It's also dependant on what colour socks you were wearing at the time. If you were wearing no socks then all your Airmiles are null and void; also Airmiles execs can now hunt you and your entire extended family for sport during the next company away day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 16:49 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Do Nintendo farm out the handling of their Star Points to the Air Miles people ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 16:56 

Used a hell of a lot for a hotel room near Heathrow last year so I wouldn't have to get up at stupid o'clock for my flight o Tennessee. I then used several thousand more this year for a room in central London so yank friend and I could crash somewhere after a night on the town.

So they can be useful for odd little things.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 17:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

Don't put yourself down like that, you're not that little.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 18:31 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I got two flights to Sweden for £10 each through them, but it was bloody hard work and I couldn't use them on the way back either. still worked out cheaper over all, but they are a real faff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:22 
Excellent Member

Worst thing with BA is the Avios availability for tickets. A guy at work has a companion ticket which means whatever ticket he buys the companion ticket gets him another one the same.

He can also only buy the first ticket with Avios points. He is after a 1st class ticket to Cape Town and there is no availability for 18 months or more.

Best place to spend these is the Avios site, they have some OK deals for EU city breaks if you check there regularly. Ones that are nice and clear where is “X” amount of money and “Y” amount of points.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]