Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: ZOMG APPZ
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dull people perhaps went out with friends, or had sex with a pretty lady, but like all the cool kids I've spent today learning to program mobile apps.

FEAST YOUR EYES ON MY BRILLIANCE, ANDROID OWNERS!
Attachment:
PewPew.apk

Kindle Fire folk - here's a special one for you:
Attachment:
PewPewKindle.apk

Apple folk - you would have something to try but I don't have a Mac so I'm not allowed to program iOS things :(

Anyway, quickly press the pop-up that appears and touch near the bottom of the screen to move left and right, and further up to fire your LAY ZOR. And don't let the baddies go past, or you die.

And when you die, you have to start the application again. I wrote that bit last, and realised that there was no realistic way of getting the game to reset :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: ZOMG APPZ
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:33 
Worst

Sweet! If my Sexus un-dies, I'll check this out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:34 

Grim... wrote:
Apple folk - you would have something to try but I don't have a mac so I'm not allowed to program iOS things :(

I don't understand why people always think that's remarkable. There's no version of Visual Studio for OS X or Linux either, to name just one shocking example of an OS vendor favouring its own platform. And given the shoddy state of iTunes for Windows, the mere idea of Xcode for Windows is quite, quite awful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

There's dot net compilers for other platforms, aren't there? Also, considering the fuck awful state of xcode on OSX I dread to think what it'd be like on windows. 8gb min requirement for a fucking IDE!

That aside, this was fun. I got 55 then one with a blue thingy appeared and I died. The game over text was fuxxored, btw.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

GOD I hate xcode. And iOS code signing.

Sorry. I'll shut up now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
The game over text was fuxxored, btw.

I saw - bizarrely, the simulator on the PC can't render text boxes (which I needed for centre alignment), so I couldn't tell.

I'd fix it, but it's not really worth the bother :)

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Apple folk - you would have something to try but I don't have a mac so I'm not allowed to program iOS things :(

I don't understand why people always think that's remarkable.

It's not that remarkable, I just thought I'd explain why there's no iOS version to try. Not that I know how you'd sideload an app on iOS anyway.

I do think it's a debatable position, though - if you made a killer app (which, you know, I clearly have) and sold it on the App Store Apple would make money. If Google suddenly decided that you could only release Android stuff if it was coded on Chrome OS I think people would be rightly surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:41 

Cras wrote:
There's dot net compilers for other platforms, aren't there?
There's Mono, a community-led open source reverse engineered project with partial .Net compatibility. That's a far cry from a Microsoft set of tools. Also, a compiler and a runtime are not an IDE.

Quote:
Also, considering the fuck awful state of xcode on OSX I dread to think what it'd be like on windows.
Yes. This.

Quote:
8gb min requirement for a fucking IDE!
I've run Xcode with 4 GB, so that's not right. If you mean "runs like a dog with less than 8 GB when doing anything non-trivial" then the same is true of Eclipse.

Grim... wrote:
Not that I know how you'd sideload an app on iOS anyway.
It's hard work, as Craster has intimated.

Quote:
I do think it's a debatable position, though - if you made a killer app (which, you know, I clearly have) and sold it on the App Store Apple would make money.
Writing Good Windows Software is a fucking long way down the list of Apple's core competencies. I'm not surprised it has no appetite for porting it's most complex (and arguably flakiest) product to an alien OS.

Quote:
If Google suddenly decided that you could only release Android stuff if it was coded on Chrome OS I think people would be rightly surprised.
Particularly given that Chrome OS is just a web browser.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I don't understand why people always think that's remarkable. There's no version of Visual Studio for OS X or Linux either, to name just one shocking example of an OS vendor favouring its own platform. And given the shoddy state of iTunes for Windows, the mere idea of Xcode for Windows is quite, quite awful.

But Apple making iTunes for Windows is precisely why they should do it... How is it that Windows is so ubiquitous they can't not release their godawful fucking media player for it but not sufficiently so that they have to release the dev environment?

And why would Microsoft port Visual Studio to such a small number of machines, especially when half the owners of those machines (and certainly the half who'd know Visual Studio from Python probably dual boot into (a nicked) copy of Windows anyway?

Scale's the important thing here. The fact that iTunes is even out on windows shows that Apple realise that the scale thing is huge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:12 

Xcode is a billion times harder to write and maintain on a second OS platform than iTunes. They aren't equivalent products.

Anyone serious about writing an app for iOS isn't going to be put off by requiring a Mac. Anyone put off by that isn't very serious, so is no great loss

iTunes on Windows was a way to unlock hundreds of millions of possible new iPod customers. Xcode on Windows might enable a few thousand extra devs, at a stretch, and they'll be the casual, novice devs. There's no scale. No upside for the vast effort.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:
There's dot net compilers for other platforms, aren't there?
There's Mono, a community-led open source reverse engineered project with partial .Net compatibility. That's a far cry from a Microsoft set of tools. Also, a compiler and a runtime are not an IDE.

They're not an IDE, but you can do all the rest in notepad, so the compiler's all that really matters. Although for iOS it's just gcc isn't it? Though with added complex voodoo logic to make it impossible to use without doing it via Xcode.

Quote:
Quote:
8gb min requirement for a fucking IDE!
I've run Xcode with 4 GB, so that's not right. If you mean "runs like a dog with less than 8 GB when doing anything non-trivial" then the same is true of Eclipse.

It'll run with 4, but 8GB is the published minimum, and means you'll get "Hai, add RAMS please" if you ever want to raise a support case without it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 

Cras wrote:
They're not an IDE, but you can do all the rest in notepad, so the compiler's all that really matters.
Sure. Or we could just go back to punch cards if we only care about compilers and developer efficiency means nothing. And we'll just debug via code walking, no need for the complete ARM emulator in the iOS Simulator.

Quote:
Although for iOS it's just gcc isn't it?
No. It switched to LLVM some time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Quote:
I do think it's a debatable position, though - if you made a killer app (which, you know, I clearly have) and sold it on the App Store Apple would make money.
Writing Good Windows Software is a fucking long way down the list of Apple's core competencies. I'm not surprised it has no appetite for porting it's most complex (and arguably flakiest) product to an alien OS.

That's not the problem I had, actually - I used a 3rd party SDK that lets you code for both platforms at once, and then compiles the files for you. Because I wasn't using a Mac, it couldn't compile the iOS version for me, so it's not a "software writing" issue - in my case, at least.

Out of interest, can you code for Windows Phone on a Mac?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Not saying an IDE isn't better, just saying that providing a compiler at least gives you options.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 

Grim... wrote:
That's not the problem I had, actually - I used a 3rd party SDK that lets you code for both platforms at once,

Which one?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:57 
Paws for thought

Cras wrote:
Not saying an IDE isn't better, just saying that providing a compiler at least gives you options.

Certainly one.of the guys here reckons the code you produce without an ide is worse and so doesn't always use one.
Trade off between usability and code.familiarity.

For much of the time.coding for mobile.phones, I didnt use an IDE as they tended to be.rather pap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:
That's not the problem I had, actually - I used a 3rd party SDK that lets you code for both platforms at once,

Which one?

Corona SDK: http://coronalabs.com/products/corona-sdk/

It's pretty good, and obviously easy to learn, but there are already a few things about it I dislike (not least the price, although the trial lasts forever, so it's fine for fiddling with).

But people who "know" say you should learn Lua (the programming language Corona uses) with this one, then switch to the free but less user-friendly MOAI (which also uses Lua): http://getmoai.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 13:07 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Which one?

Corona SDK: http://coronalabs.com/products/corona-sdk/

It's pretty good, and obviously easy to learn, but there are already a few things about it I dislike (not least the price, although the trial lasts forever, so it's fine for fiddling with).

But people who "know" say you should learn Lua (the programming language Corona uses) with this one, then switch to the free but less user-friendly MOAI (which also uses Lua): http://getmoai.com/

I do quite like Lua. Which makes it fairly unique among Scripting languages.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 13:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

As do I - I don't like the physics engine that Corona has, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 13:46 

I've been tasked with writing an app that's compatible with iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone. Corona won't cut it, by the looks.

D'oh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 13:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It'll get you half way there.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]