Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: MAME Challenge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 21:00 
Hello Hello Hello

lasermink wrote:
And now I just discovered that Raiden II emulation is working. Don't know when that happened, but: WOO!

I love Raiden II, somehow it's the music that really makes it (IMO at least), it's mournful but inspiring at the same time.

Splendidly solid shooter, played an awful lot of the original Raiden in an arcade in Bury when it was shiny and new back in 1990.

Still got a lot of love for the whole series of Raiden games.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Currently up to the letter 'R' on my comprehensive MAME playthrough, this is where I am loading every single game in the list (4366 of them....) and taking at least a cursory look at EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The amount of utter shite that's been released into arcades over the decades is rather depressing.

Also, I really wish I knew how to play Mahjong. And read Japanese. There are some deliciously perverted Japanese games in there, often Mahjong but not always.

Found a few absolute gems as well, so it's a worthwhile endeavour to take a look at everything, even if it is taking fucking ages.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 13:09 
Paws for thought

Mahjong is easy to understand. Shouldn't be hard to pickup.

Japanese... takes a little longer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 14:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Dave wrote:
Mahjong is easy to understand. Shouldn't be hard to pickup.

Japanese... takes a little longer.

It's a shame because fantastic perverted stuff aside, there are some brilliantly bonkers looking Japanese quiz games in there, with all sorts of bizarre themes. The minigame style ones I can work some of out, but straight-up quiz games are basically impossible. (With enough patience and credits I could simply guess my way through the game as most are a question with four possible answers format, but that's no fun.)

Maybe I will learn Mahjong, just the title screens and introductions of some of the games were enough to make me want to, ahem - see more....

Also, Pachinko Sexy Reaction is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:31 
Paws for thought

Hearthly wrote:
Maybe I will learn Mahjong, just the title screens and introductions of some of the games were enough to make me want to, ahem - see more....

It's been approximately 16 years since I last played it, so apologies if I remember poorly, but it plays a little like a rummy variant with various special hands. And you get to shout fun chinese words. (well, probably not on computer version, but...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 21:13 
Hello Hello Hello

There's a spectacularly awful fighting game in here called Tattoo Assassins (I'm only up to 'T', there were a metric fuckton of 'S' games, including about fifty million starting with 'Super', 99.9% of which weren't super at all).

It's a a Data East fighting game that's clearly intended to be a pretty cheap Mortal Kombat cash-in, that ordinarily you'd play for a couple of minutes, laugh at, and never think of again.

However, it's got a fascinating 'trivia' entry. Every single game has this but sometimes it's blank apart from what MAME fills in automatically (hardware specs etc), and it goes full spectrum from effectively nothing to really long and detailed entries, which are often really interesting to read.

Here's the entry for Tattoo Assassins, it makes this awful game quite poignant.

Quote:
Tattoo Assassins (c) 1995 Data East Pinball.
Nine Tattooed Assassins are ordered by Mullah Abba to defeat Koldan and his minions in this unreleased one-on-one beat-em-up. Tattoo Assassins is little more than a flawed beat-em-up that was originally intended to cash in on the massive success of Midway's superior "Mortal Kombat" series.

- TECHNICAL -
Main CPU : ARM (@ 7 Mhz), M6809 (@ 2 Mhz) Sound Chips : BSMT2000 (@ 24 Mhz)
Screen orientation : Horizontal Video resolution : 320 x 240 pixels Screen refresh : 60.00 Hz Palette colors : 2048
Players : 2 Control : 8-way joystick Buttons : 6 (HP, SP, HK, LP, BLOCK, LK)

- TRIVIA -
Released in March 1995. Tattoo Assassins has become the stuff of arcade legend, but for all the wrong reasons. It represents one of the most tragic tales in game design - and perhaps the only verifiable example of a game being utterly dismissed by the actual programmers themselves.

The original premise was straightforward, if a little ambitious - use Data East graphics hardware to produce a "Mortal Kombat" beater. The gameplay would include over 200 Fatalities, Animalities (this was BEFORE "Mortal Kombat 3" introduced them to the world), Nudalities (although nothing TOO explicit) and an array of "sickening moves", which basically consisted of farting and spraying diarrhea at your opponent. This is true.

Bob Gale (producer of the Back to the Future movies) came up with the original 'story' and concept, while coding duties fell to 'Data East Pinball' (now Stern Pinball). Several problems soon became apparent, however, not least that of the host hardware falling some way short of being up to the task demanded of it. The game's production was doomed from the very beginning. Below is a transcript from one of the game's programmers who, due to the fact that he still works for the parent company, wishes to remain anonymous.

"Tattoo Assassins was the brainchild of Data East Pinball's (DEP) Head of Engineering, Joe Kaminkow. He had become buddies with Bob Gale after Data East produced the Back to the Future pinball table - and from time to time Bob would send Joe his latest movie script. One of these scripts involved tattoos that came to life and did battle with each other, and it was here that Joe got the idea for a video game. MK2 was in the process of becoming the biggest arcade hit in recent history, so in typical DEP fashion Joe decided to do a rip-off of MK2. We'd have more hidden moves and fatalities than anyone had ever dreamed of. In fact, you could just randomly hit buttons and get a fatality. Each character had their bodies adorned with tattoos, which gave them their various powers and fatalities. The Indian character, for example, had an eagle on his chest; one of his many fatalities was that his eagle tattoo would come off his chest and crap on the other character, who would melt away. Each character had their own sets of fatalities, but a lot of the fatalities weren't character specific, like the Godzilla foot stomp fatality, or the fly swatter, or Cruise Ship fatality. As far a nudalities went, there would be a puff of smoke and your character would be naked, but with arms and hands in the appropriate places. and we'd tie everything together with a Hollywood film shoot to get the hype machine going full tilt. He then sold DE Japan on the idea, which was impressive since before TA (and after) DEP only manufactured pinball machines.".

"As you may be aware, DEP (who became SEGA Pinball, then Stern Pinball) have always been known for cranking out sub-standard pins (pinball tables). The primary reason for this was lack of engineering manpower. While development teams at Williams would get a whole year to design, program & play test a given model, their counterparts at DEP were given only 3-6 months. To his credit, DEP survived because Joe was so good at snagging the best licenses for our pins, i.e. Star Wars and Jurassic Park.".

"The team was promised $25, 000 bonuses and $25 per game manufactured if we could make it to production within 8 months. This was a pretty juicy carrot, and we all hung out our tongues and nodded our heads and began chasing it like fools. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and all that but I think you will agree that the deadline was ridiculous considering we had no video game experience whatsoever amongst us.".

"During the whole project, we were required to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our lunch and dinner were take out - paid for by the company, which was great, but the purpose was to keep us from going out and having an hour long lunch or dinner break away from our desks. Every meal was a "working" meal, meaning we would have meetings in the conference room as we ate to keep from interfering with the "real" work. If we were late to work, or left early, we would be threatened with having some of our $25, 000 bonus docked. The 'carrot' had become a big baseball bat we were beaten with almost daily. One guy walked out after having his bonus docked for coming in at noon, and he quit on the spot. The next day he was placated and he came back. I remember this moment vividly--working away at 3:30 a.m. one morning. I was so physically exhausted that I casually leaned over to the garbage can and vomited, after which I went right back to tapping away. My fingers never left the keyboard.".

"Our biggest deadline was the ACME convention. We made it there with a game that played, but there were no special moves for any characters except for one electric zap thrown in for A. C. Current just before we got on the plane. The game was a joke but no one seemed to notice--we were congratulated at having made it that far, which was impressive only if you knew the whole story. One guy at the show made a point over and over again that he could get through the entire game start to finish by pounding the electric zap button over and over with one finger. I wanted to beat him senseless.".

"The biggest problem at this point was that we were all completely burned out. We knew the game was crap, and that we were no longer capable of fixing it. After we got back from the show, we were so "crispy" that we no longer cared about the money--our only true reward for finishing up was that we wouldn't have to work on it any more. The artwork looked pretty bad because it had all been a rush job to make the show. This was an incredible shame because the artists were so talented, but their talent were being scuttled in dealing with the crappy video source. New artists were brought on to help pitch in, but it was too little too late.".

"New games like "Primal Rage" and "Killer Instinct" came out, and they blew Tattoo Assassins away. We resisted violently any attempt to change the game to make it better, because that would mean we would be working on it longer -- I've since read about this attitude being common in projects where coders are placed under very high pressure. The artists were hoping that the programmers would come up with some new game play feature to make the game sell, regardless of the quality of the graphics, whereas programmers were hoping that the ARTISTS would miraculously 'beautify' things so that the game would sell regardless of the game play. One programmer actually stopped working almost entirely in the hopes of getting fired -- he had signed a three year contract and would have to be paid off in a huge way if he got fired. He wanted out anyway to go get married and start up his own dot-com.".
"Karla Keller was never going to be "Nancy", although that was who she was obviously modeled after. Lyla Blue was indeed Slash's wife. TA was actually developed within Data East Pinball in Chicago, IL. We had a working relationship with Slash because of the Guns and Roses pinball we created. His wife is a professional model.".

"I remember our testers. One of them posted some really scathing stuff to Usenet. We had several of our competitors' games in the lab with our TAs, and we'd have to go down to the lab every half hour to stop them playing pinball and make them go back to playing our game. We couldn't even PAY people to play TA it seems :)".
Real Life : Gretchen Stockdale (Hannah Hart) gave up modeling and became a fully qualified attorney.
Carlos and Daniel Pesina from Midway's MK series worked in Tattoo Assassins. After that, Midway didn't want them to work with them in "Mortal Kombat 3", so they killed Johnny Cage (the only Daniel Pesina character that didn't wear a mask) and excluded Raiden (Carlos Pesina).

Maurice Travis (as A.C. Current in TA) became World Champion muay thai fighter just starred in Hong Fight film called The Champion. Won The Superbrawl extreme fighting Championships in Hawaii. Maurice character Zolar Become a kids WB 2 hour movie (The first live action at the KIDSWB).
Note : The game claims there are 220 fatalities (see 'Tips And Tricks' section for more info).
TA is the only Fighting game where you can kick while you block. And it's also the only Fighting game where you see a man undressing to fart, and a woman farts too...
The DeLorean DMC-12 which appears in the Hit and Stay fatality is a nod to co-creator Bob Gale (who worked on the 'Back to The Future' trilogy).
- TIPS AND TRICKS -
* Random selection : at the character selection screen, highlight Billy Two-Moons and press Up.
* Alternate colors : highlighting your characters and press Start to change their colors.
* Vs. Screen Tricks : 1. When your character walk - Press LP to speak. 2. When your character stop walking - Press SP to provoke.
* Common Fatality : Decapitation Uppercut : (close) Down+HP Exploding Roundhouse : (close) Back+HK Spontaneous Decapitation : (Anywhere) Block(x27) IT'S BURGERTIME!! : (Anywhere) LP, HP, Block WILDE THANG : (Anywhere) LP, HK, Block Farmer and Wife picture : (Anywhere) LP, LK, Block Mona Lisa picture : (Anywhere) LK, LP, Block Hit And Stay : (Anywhere) LK, HK, Block Whistler's Mother artwork : (Anywhere) HP, LP, Block Musketeer : (Anywhere) HP, HK, Block HOT STUFF! : (Anywhere) HP, LK, Block IT'S HAMMER TIME!! : (Anywhere) Block(x2), HP STRIKE!! : (Anywhere) Block(x2), LP Gotcha, Ya Little Booger!! : (Anywhere) Block(x2), HK Nudality : (Anywhere) Block(x2), SP Smoking Kills! : (Anywhere) HP, LP, LK, HK No Artificial Additives : (Anywhere) HP, HK, LK, LP Happy Thanksgiving! : (Anywhere) HK, LK, LP, HP Lipstick : (Anywhere) HK, HP, LP, LK Animality : (Anywhere) HP(x3), Block Morphality : (Anywhere) LP(x3), Block
* Various Fatality : Judgment Day!! (Luke, Derek, Truck, Billy) : (Anywhere) Block(x2), LK Eat Ship and Die!! (Maya, AC, Hannah, Karla) : (Anywhere) Block(x2), LK Oops, stepped in it! (Tak) : (Anywhere) Block(x2), LK Oh I Wish I Was A... (Hannah, Truck, Derek, Billy, Luke, Karla, AC) : (Anywhere) Down(x3), LK Oh I Wish I Was A... (Tak) : (Anywhere) Forward(x3), LK Oh I Wish I Was A... (Maya) : ??? Flamed! (Tak, Hannah, Truck, Derek) : (Anywhere) Back(x4), HK Flamed! (Billy, Luke, Karla, AC) : (Anywhere) Back(x4) LK Flamed! (Maya) : ???
* Fatality - Maya : Tiger Slice : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x3) Tiger Mauling : (Anywhere) Forward+SP or SP(x2), HP Club Decapitation : (Near) Back(x2), HP Claw Attack Splatter : (close) Down(x3), LK
* Fatality - AC Current : Laser : (Anywhere) Forward+SP or SP(x3) Electrifying victory!! : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x2), HP Decapitation Mace : (Close) Back(x3), HK Buzz Saw : (Close) Back(x2), HP
* Fatality - Luke Cord : Octopus : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x3) Eagle Morphality : (Anywhere) Forward+SP Heart Squish : (Close) SPC(x2), HP Heart Stab : (Close) SPC(x2), LP Boat Anchor : (Close) back(x2), HP
* Fatality - Derek O'Toole : Puking Skull : (Anywhere) Forward+SP or SP(x3) That's the name of the tune! : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x2), HP
* Fatality - Truck Davis : Swallowing Snake : (Anywhere) Forward+SP or SP(x3) My Day has Been Made : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x2), HP Explode Crowbar : (Close) Back+HP
* Fatality - Tak Hata : Two Headed Dragon : (Anywhere) SP(x3) Two Headed Barney : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x2), LP Nudeality : (Anywhere) Forward+SP
* Fatality - Hannah Hart : Spider Face Chew : (Anywhere) Forward+SP or SP(x3) Big Spider Mauling : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x2), HP Explode Cartwheel : (Near) Back(x2), Forward Baby Spiders Attack : (Anywhere) SP(x2), LP Deadly Venom : (Close) Forward(x2), HP
* Fatality - Billy Two Moons : Acid Poo Eagle : (Anywhere) Forward+SP or SP(x3) Man Eating Eagle : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x2), HP Axe Uppercut : (Close) Hold HP 2 seconds and Release HP Diamond Back Whip : (Near) Back(x2), HP Axe Scalp : (Anywhere) SP(x2), LP Decapitation Eagle : (Anywhere) Forward(x3), LP
* Fatality - Karla Keller : Man Eating Rose : (Anywhere) Back+SP or SP(x3) Lethal Thorns : (Anywhere) Forward+SP or SP(x2), HP Clean-up car : (Anywhere) HK, LK, Block Gut Slice : (Near) Back, Forward, HP
* Play as Rhina : ???
* Play as Deke Kay : ???
* Play as Prism : ???
* Fight against Mullah Abba : ???
- STAFF -
Created by : Bob Gale (Bob 'Koldan' Gale) Designed / Created / Directed by : Joe Kaminkow (JEK) Art direction / Software : John Carpenter (JWC) Security officer / Artist : Jack Liddon (Heart-a-Jack Liddon) (JAK) Party supplies / Artist : Kurt Andersen (Kurtquake Andersen) (KRT) Sound Deity : Brian Schmidt (BLS) Art grunts : Todd Faris, Jim McNally, Scott Melchionda, Ish Raneses, Deb Lowman, Sally Davis Software support : Orin Day, Neil Falconer, Lonnie Ropp (LON), Brian Rudolph Cabinet Art : Paul Faris Technical support : Allison Quant (ADQ), Qhah Thattamveetil, Phillis, Jay Alfer, Michael Toler Executive producers : Mike Marvin, Allen Munro, Bob Short, Eddi Wilde
* CAST : Billy Two Moons : Eddi Wilde Truck Davis : Kevin Knotts Luke Cord : Charlie Rice Maya : Melanie Baer Tak Hata : Rick Mali Hannah Hart : Gretchen Stockdale A.C. Current : Maurice Travis Karla Keller : Christine Dupree Derek O'Toole : Nicolas Andrews Prizm : William Zipp Rhina : Joanna Lee Deke : William Zipp Koldan : Kevin Knotts Mullah Abba : Mark Urgello Wilde thang : Marushka Wilde Lyla Blue : Rene Hudson
- CONTRIBUTE -
Edit this entry: http://www.arcade-history.com/?n = tattoo-assassins&page = detail&id = 2841&o = 2
Mameinfo:
GAME: Tattoo Assassins (US prototype)
The video emulation isn't 100% accurate.

ORIGINAL:
Tattoo Assassins (US prototype)

CLONES:
Tattoo Assassins (Asia prototype)

Attachment:
tattoo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 21:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I demand to know what the "It's burgertime" fatality is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 22:03 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
I demand to know what the "It's burgertime" fatality is.

Turns around, pants down, bend over, burgered

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 22:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's really interesting trivia and yes, the game is terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 18:13 
Hello Hello Hello

IT IS COMPLETE.

4366 games loaded up and looked at ('played' would be stretching it a bit in some cases).

I deliberately didn't look at how many Favourites I'd accumulated at any point during the run, lest it influence my willingness to add further games as I worked through the collection.

As such, my 'Favourites' list - (again, 'favourite' would be stretching it a bit in some cases, 'games I'll take another look at' would be far more appropriate in many cases) - currently runs to some 704 games, so clearly that's going to need some serious pruning.

It has felt like a bit of a slog at times as there's just so much shit in there, but it's also one of these pointless tasks that once I set it for myself, it's absolutely going to get completed.

Oh yes and so much for all those laserdisc games chewing up HUNDREDS OF GIGABYTES, there was one single laserdisc game in the entire lot that made it into the Favourites list, and even that will probably get removed on a further sweep. (It was some abstract sort of shooter thing, the name of which escapes me, that had some quite nice streamed backgrounds coming from the disc.)

Anyway, scanning down the Favourites view as opposed to the normal view has made it all worthwhile already, as it's just game after game that I could very much fancy having a crack at, as opposed to the full view, where it's like pulling needles out of shit game haystacks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 18:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Once you've got it down to about 200 you're going to repackage it and upload them, right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 19:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Once you've got it down to about 200 you're going to repackage it and upload them, right?

Anyone who wants any/all of the collection is welcome to it at any time, certainly you could strip out the laserdisc stuff which would get you down into USB stick territory. Some of the hard drive based games aren't entirely terrible though, for example the Killer Instincts have hard drive images associated with them but they're only a few hundred megabytes apiece.

Currently the most 'valuable' aspect of the collection (for me at least) is the myriad ini files which I've created along the way, so decent controls, analogue settings, autofire settings, high score files etc and of course the big one which is the favourites.ini. (God knows how many hours they represent, either way they all got backed up earlier this evening....)

An upload of the entire MAME folder less the laserdisc stuff would most likely be the feasible option, otherwise I'd be sifting through fuck knows how many folders pulling out the relevant files for each game on the final Favourites list, which would be very tedious.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 22:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Ahhhh this is just pure delight now, even though 704 games is still far too many for a 'Favourites' list, it's massively easier to browse through a list of 704 games and pick something I like or want to have a go at, than it is to blunder aimlessly through a list of 4366 games, most of which I know nothing about, trying to find something I want to play. (Which normally just ended up with me playing Chase HQ.)

I've created a custom folder in MAME called 'MegaFavourites' (as always, you need to manually edit an .ini file for something like this, you can't do it through the GUI), which I'll use to create my 'A Team' of games (so adding stuff to MegaFavourites, rather than deleting anything out of Favourites).

Also, from my Favourites list, I can get a very clear idea of which manufacturers have produced the games I tend to like, which gives me a further chance to go back to the main 4366 games list, and reappraise their games in case I missed something. (Although in the main it's all the names you'd expect really, but Capcom, Konami, Namco, Taito and Sega do particularly well, but there are niche companies like Cave and Psikyo whose shooters I love to pieces, and of course the likes of Atari, Irem, Data East etc have all got some really solid stuff out there.)

MAME and Hearthstone, nothing else is getting a look-in and hasn't done for weeks, normally Pinball Arcade grabs some of my games time too, but at the moment even that can't get a slot.

Fun gaming times for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 22:58 
Bad Girl

Erm, hello.

Can anyone remember when Zaphod was awesome and let us download MAME32 with all the games already on it? Well, I've come back to it and I want to play some old games again. I was using the keyboard before but I want to use my Xbone pad on it.

In Options, the Default Options is greyed out for some reason...

...so using my noggin, I thought I'd use Joy2Key but apparently Joy2Key hates Mame so it doesn't work.

I checked to see whether it's the config file but the Mame I downloaded doesn't have a config file, so, erm, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Any ideas anyone to help a brother out so I can play Rolling Thunder with a pad?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:27 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Satsuma wrote:
Any ideas anyone to help a brother out so I can play Rolling Thunder with a pad?

I'd need to redownload it and get it into a VM to check but it should be as simple as enabling joystick support in the main menu (where you select the game) , starting up what you want to play and hitting <tab> on the game - selecting the control options and then setting them for your pad

Let me check

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:39 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Okay so for me - i dont need to do anything else

In windows 10 - connect joystick and let it detect it (i'm using my DS4)

Start up MAME

Start up the game

Press <tab>

Using the arrows go down to Input (this game)
Go down to the various controls and press return on each one you want to setup and then press the direction on the joystick or the button you want to use
Press <tab> again to come out

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:11 
Hello Hello Hello

There shouldn't be any need to configure it on a game-by-game basis for standard controls. Mine defaults to what you'd expect on the pad (up/down/left/right and buttons 1-6 on any game are defaulted to the pad's analogue stick and face + shoulder buttons), it's only customisation beyond that I have to do individually.

I'll have a look at how mine is set up when I get home, although I'm on MAMEPLUS I do have MAME32 as well.

The first thing I'd check is making sure the pad is recognised and working normally in Windows, as Windows-MAMEs just pick it up from there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:15 
Awesome
Yes

Well done guys, they were some great, thoughtful answers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hearthly wrote:

The first thing I'd check is making sure the pad is recognised and working normally in Windows, as Windows-MAMEs just pick it up from there.

This is what I was going to suggest as I'm sure I remember having a similar problem with a generic USB pad a few years ago. Windows wasn't recognising it but as soon as that was sorted, I rebooted MAME and it appeared in the default options for all games. Something like a tick box with "use game controller" in it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 19:56 
Bad Girl

So I tried Zaphod's idea first...

...didn't work.

So I connected and calibrated the xbone pad as per AE/TheVision. All done.

Then tried Zaphod's idea again. Still no joy.

Restarted. Opened and closed Mame. And all that shit. Nothing. Nadda. Zilch.

Any other ideas homies? I ain't going to ever get to play Rolling Thunder except on the crappy stupid keyboard, like a loser.

I also need to check if B.Rap boys is on there. And E-Swat too. I fancy looking at that again. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 20:09 
Hello Hello Hello

What's the exact version of MAME32 that you're running?

Help > About

Attachment:
mamever.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 20:15 
Bad Girl

This one right here. As I said before, good old Zaphod uploaded it a few years back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 20:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

In typical Beex fashion, I'm going to recommend something you didn't know you wanted.

Have you thought of getting one of those USB Saturn pads off eBay? They're very good and they're bound to work.

Now I think about it, I believe I had problems with an older version of Mame and getting a controller to work. This was fixed by upgrading my version of Mame.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 20:46 
Hello Hello Hello

That really is an ancient version of MAME, I'm not sure if an XBox One pad will work with that out of the box as it were.

Just as a test, why not download a new version of MAME and a ROM or two and see if it works, that'll sort out whether or not it's the elderly nature of your MAME build that's the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 20:51 
Bad Girl

I've just done exactly that. Great minds and all.

Then the batteries ran out on my pad... hnnngh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 21:16 
Bad Girl

I've got batteries!

And now it works. Well, I had to copy all the Roms into the roms folder, but even I could figure that out. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 21:24 
Bad Girl

Only, it doesn't work apparently, because a fair few games with roms that work in Mame32 don't work in Mame64. Seriously, PC Gamers, who do you get get anything done with all this farting about? When can you just find the time to sit down, play a fucking game without any hassle and complain about the frame rates!? Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 21:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Satsuma wrote:
Only, it doesn't work apparently, because a fair few games with roms that work in Mame32 don't work in Mame64. Seriously, PC Gamers, who do you get get anything done with all this farting about? When can you just find the time to sit down, play a fucking game without any hassle and complain about the frame rates!? Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

The ROM sets change over time, as a lot of older dumps were imperfect, or MAME used hacks to get them working that were resolved in later versions of MAME, and so on - it's nothing to do with PC, it's entirely a MAME thing. Most of the time there's absolutely no difference to how the game looks or runs in MAME itself across ROM and/or MAME revisions, but under the hood the emulation is more accurate, which is the MAME team's declared mission - being able to play old games using MAME is almost like a secondary consideration for them, which is why other people have to write nice frontends to make it usable.

Basically, if MAME doesn't get the exact ROM it's expecting, it won't run it.

Generally speaking you want to 'freeze' your version of MAME with a known working set of ROMs, which is what you've got there but unfortunately it's too old to support XBox One pads.

If you send me a 500GB portable hard drive in the post, I'll send it back to you with a 100% complete and working 0.164 version of MAME, including all laserdisc and HDD based games and other such delights. (And for example, if I took the Rolling Thunder ROM from my MAME collection on PC, and FTP-ed it over to my old chipped XBox which is running a really old version of MAME, it most likely wouldn't run on the XBox either, because it's a MAME thing.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 16:36 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hearthly kindly copied his MAME roms to a hard drive I sent him last week. I had a mess with them all over the weekend and I've fallen in love with arcade gaming once more!

It’s amazing. I can sit at work and get bored with a task after a few short minutes but put me in front of MAME then I’ll happily spend over an hour trying to get Virtua Racing to work with a Playstation NeGcon.

It doesn’t work with the Jogcon by the way.

But anyway, MAME is great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 16:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Jnr has been complaining about being bored because she's finished her Minecraft expansion, so we're angling around for other games for her to play, I decided to crack out MAME on the media centre PC (which is actually Mrs Hearthly's old gaming PC), to see if she fancied some oldschool arcade gaming action.

Turns out 55 inch Virtua Racing with your arse parked on the couch is really good fun!

I mean, really, all three current gen consoles sat there, and I'm playing a 27 year old Sega racing game in MAME......

Attachment:
virdtuers.JPG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 19:20 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's glorious. I love Virtua Racing.

It's coming out on the Switch soon with something crazy like 8 player split screen and possibly online support. I can't wait.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 19:24 
UltraMod

Can’t wait to play 8-player split-screen in tabletop mode!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 22:54 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
That's glorious. I love Virtua Racing.

Tonight was a Sega and Konami night, it's so easy to fall back in love with these games after just a minute or two, Magical Sound Shower never ceases to be amazing.

Also, the soundtrack for Thunder Cross II never gets old.

Attachment:
saggers.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:15 
Participant in dramatic games

Apparantly next week virtua racing is out on the switch in japan.. lets see how the oort is

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 13:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

romanista wrote:
Apparantly next week virtua racing is out on the switch in japan.. lets see how the oort is

Cloudy I expect.

Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8