Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4 confirmed
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:52 

All up & running?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Aye, spent a few hours on BF4 last night :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 13:42 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:

Is it as broken as The Internet is saying it is?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 14:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

SilentNight wrote:
Trooper wrote:

It crashed out once, but other than that it worked fine :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 14:02 

I got this BF4 from someone at work for £30 :metul:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 14:42 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Almost posted in the first world problems thread last night that Sony decide to do their system downtime to work out best for America so the PSN was down most of last night - and many games dont handle the lack of a network connection when they think they should have one particularly well :-(

So far i've had 1 'crash back to main desktop' for BF4 , and also one for Ghosts - so although things are not 100% I dont think they are quite as bad as a few internet posts would have you think.

Also Ghosts to me looks pretty much identical to the 360 version , whereas BF4 does look very shiny and new

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 16:15 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Also Ghosts to me looks pretty much identical to the 360 version , whereas BF4 does look very shiny and new

That's possibly because you've been playing CoD at 60FPS for years on 360 (and it's still 60FPS on PS4), whereas BF was always 30FPS or less on 360/PS3 but now on PS4 they are at least targeting 60FPS albeit not hitting it all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 16:27 
8-Bit Champion

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
That's possibly because you've been playing CoD at 60FPS for years on 360 (and it's still 60FPS on PS4), whereas BF was always 30FPS or less on 360/PS3 but now on PS4 they are at least targeting 60FPS albeit not hitting it all the time.

I could believe that - also COD still has all the COD limitations whereas BF does really feel like you can go anywhere / get to any point and the few missions i've played in the town map with skyscrapers and elevators to get to the higher floors feels really different (and although you can still be killed in seconds BF's spawns are so much better than Ghosts ones)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 16:47 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
I could believe that - also COD still has all the COD limitations whereas BF does really feel like you can go anywhere / get to any point and the few missions i've played in the town map with skyscrapers and elevators to get to the higher floors feels really different (and although you can still be killed in seconds BF's spawns are so much better than Ghosts ones)

Indeed, once you've got used to the way that the Battlefield world 'works' you may find it impossible to go back to CoD.

Me and the chaps kind of kept both the series on the go for a long time, even though BF always offered stuff that CoD didn't (vehicles, planes/copters, map size, role diversity etc), CoD still had a lot going for it as a balls-out fast action shooter.

However, once BF moved to the destructible scenery model it was all over for CoD really, and IMO that gulf has widened over the years as BF has got progressively better and CoD's just sort of..... stood still.

BF even 'did' CoD with the Close Quarters stuff, and did it better than CoD too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 17:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

zaphod79 wrote:

Were some of the buildings missing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 17:32 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:

Yes but they were missing at 60FPS, which is a better class of invisibility, twice as invisible as it would have been on the 360, in fact.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 18:09 
Unpossible!

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yes but they were missing at 60FPS, which is a better class of invisibility, twice as invisible as it would have been on the 360, in fact.

Oh, you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 18:18 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 21:42 
Unpossible!

;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 

Fucking hell BF4 is pretty. I'm really enjoying the single player campaign so far too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:09 
Excellent Member

I has a PSN+ related question please thankyou.

I've looked on the internets but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

What's the deal with sub accounts on the PSN? I'm asking because the boys have two houses, and come Christmas, each house will have a PS4. It's my understanding that a sub account can access all the benefits of the PSN+ if the master account has signed up (parental controls allowing) but that all the trophies, games saves etc. are on that machine only. With Xbox Live, we had a family subscription and all they did was sign in to one of four consoles in whichever house they happened to be in, and all their gamerscore etc. was all present and correct and linked to their email address; the accounts were still subject to parental controls so they couldn't belm everything up and talk shit to randoms on COD.

So is there a way to do this on the PSN+? If we need to buy them a PSN+ account each then so be it but I don't want to do that if it's still not going to work in the way it needs to. And how does that work with game purchases? If, for these purposes, the kids have their own accounts and one of them buys Ass Cred 4 from the store, does it only work on the console the purchase was made on or will he be able to redownload it on the console at his dads house? And will I be able to play it if he does? The reason we might want to do that, is that I'm always driving backwards and forwards so they can get the disks when they inevitably forget... And then back again when someone has put Tomb Raider in the Ghosts box. It'd be worth the extra money to have the digital download but only if it wasn't locked to a specific console.

It's pretty shit that sub accounts can't be upgraded to master accounts, too. That's a lot of potential trophy loses. I'm hopeful that they'll change it all about in the future, like MS did on Live, where all the separate Gold subs were consolidated and we ended up with about 28 months of subscription time!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:28 
8-Bit Champion

flis wrote:
What's the deal with sub accounts on the PSN?

They are messed up and cant be changed.

I have 3 PSN accounts

Account 1 I created when I had my first PS3 (middle of 2007) and it was used on my PS3 until it was possible to hack it and then the PS3 was never back online until I got rid of it

Account 2 I created as a sub account of the first one so they were linked together - at the time I did not understand the limitations of sub accounts and this is the account i'm using on my vita and PS4 (Zaphod_79) - its also the account I registered for PS Plus so it has all my PS Plus games on it (and if i let it lapse i'll lose all of these)

Account 3 I created when I got my PS4 and its an account on the American PSN so I can buy items online from there.

The sub account seems to have no restrictions on the Vita , but on the PS4 I cannot use any of the game upload / video streaming services - it just tells me I have a sub account and its not allowed.

Game purchases on the PS4 are fine for the account that bought them and anyone on the console which is designated as that persons 'main' console , so I can happily play my US bought titles on my PS4 with my UK 'sub account'

I can also play online on any tag since my sub account also had this machine designated as its 'home' console.

I've not tried it but I dont see any reason why in your scenario they cant simply 'swap' which is their main console (depending on where they are) and then all that content will be available

I dont know if you can do the same for a PS Plus subscription but it would probably be worth checking out beforehand.

Also if you have not then sign up for at least one US account and have a look at the PS4 offers that Lewie has put up so you can buy stuff like AC4 or BF4 digitally for about 1/2 price

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:15 
8-Bit Champion

Todays Amazon US deal is NBA2k14 on just about everything for $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/NBA-2K14-Xbox-360/dp/B00C710AZ0

You can buy the PS4 version digitally which works out at about £25

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

PS4 headset compatibility list

#gid=0">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 14:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

Man, the included "headset" in the PS4 is awful. I really need to find a working adaptor for my xbox headset, or buy a new headset completely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 0:19 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
Man, the included "headset" in the PS4 is awful. I really need to find a working adaptor for my xbox headset, or buy a new headset completely.

Just use any one from a phone - iphone ones / android ones work fine plugged into the bottom of the Dual Shock (you can also set it to mute the TV sound when you do this if you want)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

zaphod79 wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Just use any one from a phone - iphone ones / android ones work fine plugged into the bottom of the Dual Shock (you can also set it to mute the TV sound when you do this if you want)

Weirdly, considering quite how many cables I have in my cable box, I don't have any of those. I did have a good rummage around.

I've ordered a 4 pole 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor, which hopefully will do the trick and get my 360 turtle beach headset working. I need both game audio and chat coming through the headset, not just chat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:20 
UltraMod

Pretty sure any headsets for use with Microsoft systems will not be compatible, hence Turtle Beach do separate versions for Sony. However, most PC or PS3 headsets should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:30 

I'm quite tempted by one of those spendy Sony Pulse headset things. I want wireless with decent sound and chat built in, are there any just as good or not too much worse alternatives that are cheaper?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

SilentNight wrote:
Pretty sure any headsets for use with Microsoft systems will not be compatible, hence Turtle Beach do separate versions for Sony. However, most PC or PS3 headsets should be fine.

It'll be fine, I pull the game audio from the TV, so it's just the chat that needs sorting, and you can buy a cable from turtle beach that makes that work for the 360 headset I have, but either they don't have any in stock or their website is so awful that I can't find the "add to cart" button :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
I'm quite tempted by one of those spendy Sony Pulse headset things. I want wireless with decent sound and chat built in, are there any just as good or not too much worse alternatives that are cheaper?

The pulse isn't fully compatible with the PS4 yet, voice chat doesn't work I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:37 

I just went for a cheapy headset like the 360 designed
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORB-Wired-Chat- ... B00GH7U79Y

Not that I play multi-player much had a session on Killzone last week but truthfully did not really enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

gospvg wrote:

See, that's exactly what won't work for me :) I need both game audio and chat through the one headset.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 

Trooper wrote:
gospvg wrote:

See, that's exactly what won't work for me :) I need both game audio and chat through the one headset.

Game audio I am happy with the television sound most multiplayer games there is not much game audio apart from "BANG !! BANG !!! KABOOM !!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
I've ordered a 4 pole 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor, which hopefully will do the trick and get my 360 turtle beach headset working. I need both game audio and chat coming through the headset, not just chat.

Connecting to the bottom of the Dual Shock can be set to just give chat or to give both through the headset depending on what you want to do.

You can also use quite a lot of different bluetooth headsets depending on what you already have around (my previous wireless headset is not really practical for the PS4 which is why i've just gone to the phone connection one short term)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

zaphod79 wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Connecting to the bottom of the Dual Shock can be set to just give chat or to give both through the headset depending on what you want to do.

You can also use quite a lot of different bluetooth headsets depending on what you already have around (my previous wireless headset is not really practical for the PS4 which is why i've just gone to the phone connection one short term)

I'm pretty certain that bluetooth headsets don't work on the PS4 yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:10 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
I'm pretty certain that bluetooth headsets don't work on the PS4 yet.

Your right - pretty sure I paired mine with it but only used it for game audio (not for voice) but since I use it on my main computer it was just done to test and i'm using my phone headset instead :-(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 15:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.game.co.uk/en/gameware-delux ... n-4-235614

Game do this for £25 instore, I might give one a go if my adaptor from ebay doesn't work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 18:15 
I may have been watching youtube stuff of ps4 footage.

I'm pretty certain I want one now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 19:20 

After my reservations before release I'm glad that I've stuck with my preorder. It's an amazing console & getting used daily by me & the boys.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 19:23 
UltraMod

You didn't stick with it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 0:02 

SilentNight wrote:
You didn't stick with it!

Well the 4th preorder I did :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm sitting next to my PS4 today, and it's in standby mode, but the hard disk is clicking away and it is doing "stuff". I wonder what it is up to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Plotting your death.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

Sending my every keystroke to the NSA, probably.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 17:36 

Trooper wrote:
I'm sitting next to my PS4 today, and it's in standby mode, but the hard disk is clicking away and it is doing "stuff". I wonder what it is up to.

Updates to installed games?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 18:20 
Sitting balls-back folder

Seeding torrents of Sony/Universal films to give Sony plausible deniability.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:25 
8-Bit Champion

Bluetooth and USB drivers to allow you to use your Dualshock 4 in Windows - seems to be progressing (although i'm still just using a 360 pad since it does everything I want but may be of use to someone)

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:27 

Sounds like an incredifaff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 14:56 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
SilentNight wrote:
Trooper wrote:

It crashed out once, but other than that it worked fine :)

Looks like you're lucky then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 15:04 

It's crashed a couple of times for me but I've never lost any progress, it's weird as well, I guess it's just how the PS4 handles these things but there were no signs of any impending trouble it just instantly went to an error screen. Apart from that it's my most favourite shooter I've played in years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 15:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

It really isn't that bad, i've had a few crashes now, which is annoying, and sometimes the sound goes a bit screwy for a few seconds, but it isn't fundamentally broken in any way. I've put in about 16 hours in multiplayer so far, so i've played it a reasonable amount to know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 15:36 
UltraMod

Your anecdotes are not data. There must be something in it or why would there be talk of legal action? It's unprecedented, isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 15:41 
8-Bit Champion

SilentNight wrote:
Your anecdotes are not data. There must be something in it or why would there be talk of legal action? It's unprecedented, isn't it?

I read the legal stuff as more they misrepresented that the product was actually in a shippable state and so their investors expected more of a return.

I've not played it as much as trooper but i've not really had problems with it and from what i can see online the last patch (which was about a gig) seems to have fixed a lot of the issues ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 15:48 

Yeah, the legal action isn't from unhappy gamers, I don't think there has been a Sim City style uproar or anything approaching it.

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 52  Next