Post subject: death of the guardian
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 21:58 
Participant in dramatic games

http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ ... ?page=full

which model will survive longest?

Post subject: Re: death of the guardian
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 22:19 
Gogmagog

The guardian is not a newspaper anymore. Instead, it is a collection of poorly written op- ed pieces on how America is bad, it is the best thing to be [insert minority sub culture here], people are terrible to the world and companies should give their cash away, a celebration of drug dealers making music (isn' t that great!), drug dealers are in prison ( but they never hurt a woman or child), the tories are bad, crime is because of the tories, israel bad, rioters misunderstood. I cannot wait for it to die and I bought it until 2010.

also, their open weekend lost them money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 22:27 

I find the 'Independent' to be even more irritating. It reads like a 'Daily Mail' cavalcade of hate, but coming from the other side.

I'd hate for the Graun to close as we need a vibrant newspaper scene with papers from all sides of the political spectrum, but I became increasingly irritated by a certain air of smugness amongst its main columnists.

Its news coverage isn't as good as it should be: I still think the Torygraph is best for world news, followed by the Times. The Observer shamefully shoves the 'world news' onto a couple of pages, from what I remember.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 22:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

The paper may be awful, but the software behind the guardian website is awesome.

<cough>

;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 22:49 
Skillmeister

Trooper wrote:
The paper may be awful, but the software behind the guardian website is awesome.

<cough>

;)

No good fishing for compliments here after you admitted culpability for the Gamestation atrocity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 22:50 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:

<cough>

;)

It's awful. Doesn't work with IE in my office, and asks it to stop running scripts on every page, making it a horror to navigate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 22:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

Dimrill wrote:
Trooper wrote:

<cough>

;)

No good fishing for compliments here after you admitted culpability for the Gamestation atrocity.

I did? I don't think we did gamestation?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 22:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

<cough>

;)

It's awful. Doesn't work with IE in my office, and asks it to stop running scripts on every page, making it a horror to navigate.

What version of ie are you using? We mainly did the cms and the underlying stuff, rather than the presentation layer though, for that you can blame the design agency. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 0:54 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Are any newspapers not-shit?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:05 
Excellent Member

I'm worried about newspapers cutting costs because we plebs want to spend less. Internet papers are all very well, but if they can only survive without charging then it is pretty much the death of journalism. A paper has to have clout and highly trained journalists digging away patiently to be able to properly reveal bad things that matter. See Woodward and Bernstein. Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the Guardian that it can't afford the smugness and laurel-resting, but I dearly hope it doesn't go away.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:17 
SavyGamer

Do people still buy newspapers? Is it just people that don't have computers or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:19 
Skillmeister

I like newspapers as it gives something for my gippynigs and rabbit to shit on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:20 

I got a good half way through that article before realising I'd already bloody read it, six months ago when it was first published!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:42 

Ach, every paper has the same downsides, just different flavours. And every paper will at some point have someone worth reading in them, I remember at the hight of The Mirror's Piersness, they'd have six pages of Pilger on the war in Iraq.

The Graun is full of aspirational lifestyle bollocks presently, but it's not irredeemable. Is Rusbridger going to run it forever?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:51 
Chinny chin chin

The Guardian is on borrowed time anyway. The newspaper loses money hand over fist. They've had to sell off the radio stations they owed and now the entire thing is being propped up by Autotrader (which they own). The paper loses something like 100 grand a year. Not alot in the grand scheme of things but it soon adds up.

The entire point of the Guardian Media Group is to support the newspaper. But you can only sell off the crown jewels for so long before you have nothing left to sell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:09 
Beloved member

Kern wrote:
I find the 'Independent' to be even more irritating. It reads like a 'Daily Mail' cavalcade of hate, but coming from the other side.

I'd hate for the Graun to close as we need a vibrant newspaper scene with papers from all sides of the political spectrum, but I became increasingly irritated by a certain air of smugness amongst its main columnists.

I wish we had a proper, actual centre-left newspaper in the UK. The Graun and Indie basically aren't, they're just smug middle class liberal rags. Who both were pro LibDem at the last election, let us never forget.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 

I don't think it's fair to pick on them for supporting the Lib Dems. No-one in their wildest dreams could have guessed the extent of the evil.

As for the hundred grand, sell the monthly sub for a quarter of what it is now, on Newsstand and the rest. I took the trial Graun for a week, liked it, insofar as the paper is likeable presently, then went back to the website, where I use Safari's one awesome feature, the reader facility. . Sadly the website promotes the less appealing parts of the paper and I tend not to get as much of the stuff I valued, but for two pounds fifty a month they'd get money out of me where presently they get next to nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 
Sleepyhead

The 'Lib Dems' are evil tag is just a lazy opinion formed from the reporting of pro-Labour and pro-Tory newspapers, and complete ignorance of what they were actually standing for and the point of political parties.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. The amount of people who have been duped by the Tory spin machine is simply astounding.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Are we talking about newspapers going under?

So who here actually buys and reads a newspaper on a regular basis?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:31 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:

During the week, I'll flick through the Times if I am in the pub on my way home from work (they have a copy of it in there, but I won't buy it). At the weekend I might buy the grauniad as the TV guide is OK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 
Gogmagog

It is £100k a day it is losing.

Quote:
for three years running, the Guardian has been losing £100,000 a day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Good grief.. That's a mind blowing amount!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:49 

I wonder if Times readers are mostly older and that it'll go the same way once their current readers die off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
I wonder if Times readers are mostly older and that it'll go the same way once their current readers die off.

I think that as people grow older their views shift further away from the left toward the right. As such, one is likely to like the Grauniad's stance on many things in their late teens when anything is possible, but through their mid to late twenties, their world experience puts aside these utopian ideals and their hopes and aspirations become more realsitic, so the grauniad becomes less relevant. it has always been really cheap at uni (20p or so) so that probably helps their circulation and maybe defines the articles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think "i" is quite a good paper when people leave it on the train for me to read.

I used to read the Times sometimes because they gave it away on the BOTE, that used some big words but was also okay. The business section was good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 
Where are you?

Curiosity wrote:
The 'Lib Dems' are evil tag is just a lazy opinion formed from the reporting of pro-Labour and pro-Tory newspapers, and complete ignorance of what they were actually standing for and the point of political parties. The amount of people who have been duped by the Tory spin machine is simply astounding.

The party that could have essentially shown some bottle and vetoed the Health Bill, but let that through, while claiming to have improved it? The Lib Dems are too often polishing turds and passing them off as gold. I don't doubt a Tory majority would have been even more toxic, but the Lib Dems aren't exactly coming across like a liberal, moderate party these days. There's doubtless spin (not least with student fees, say), but when yet another appalling piece of legislation sails through, backed by a party that wouldn't have touched it pre-election, you wonder about the level of said spin. I imagine 'confidence and supply' is looking like a good idea in hindsight—or having the balls to do what happens in other coalition governments and not always vote with the senior party.

As for newspapers, we can already see the trend (and the same for magazines). The shift towards opinion from proper investigative reporting is what happens when no-one will pay for anything. It's great having the Guardian for free, on the web. But when there's no money in advertising, what happens next? I think a lot of people see the web as some kind of beautiful and free utopia, but we're heading towards the point where journalists and journalism simply won't exist—and that would be a huge loss, regardless of your political colours.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:09 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:

Quote:

Fuck me!

Gosh, well they are stuffed then. Auto Trader is the only thing propping the entire edifice up. No wonder they sold the radio division for a quick buck when it had been doing well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:14 
Soopah red DS

chinnyhill10 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Quote:

Fuck me!

Gosh, well they are stuffed then. Auto Trader is the only thing propping the entire edifice up. No wonder they sold the radio division for a quick buck when it had been doing well.

Autotrader has always been propping the whole thing up, but they do seem to have had a slightly mad year and sold off some other bits. As you rightly said before, the whole group is there to support the paper - that's just the way they do it, much as they're shifting a bit towards trying to lose less from the paper - but selling off the family silver isn't going to help that. But so long as Autotrader supports the Guardian, it'll continue.

Not that I agree with the premise that the tone of the thing has shifted too badly, and I think it's still in some ways the only 'brave' paper. Torygraph has its moments, though only the MP expense scandal comes to mind, but if you're looking for journalistic success over the last year, surely you're looking at the Guardian? Waging war against Murdoch and winning is pretty cool, and I'd excuse them a bit of smuggery afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:18 

The sight of Polly Toynbee getting her P45 will be utterly delicious. Personally, I can't wait for that, can't stand her. Absurd woman.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:42 
Hibernating Druid

Ah, so that's why Autotrader is full of spelling mistakes.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:46 

TheVision wrote:

I used to get the Herald every other day then they filled it with fucking opinion pieces. Now I buy it at the weekends for the telly page :shrug:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 16:03 
INFINITE POWAH

Mali - have you been following the "I hate trannies" Burchill-geddon? I've never understood why the Guardian/Observer give her money, the ghastly person.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 16:21 
Worst

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mali - have you been following the "I hate trannies" Burchill-geddon? I've never understood why the Guardian/Observer give her money, the ghastly person.

They like hits/traffic. Ms. Trollface gets that for them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 16:24 
INFINITE POWAH

That's the usual explanation in CiF land for a lot of what they're currently doing (blatantly anti male, anti Israel, pro-any crazy fuckers etc etc). Given that Rusbridger has said that it's a digital first publication I can well believe that they might do that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 16:46 
Excellent Member

Well, it works for the Heil. The Graun tends to be a bit more subtle about it - when I was talking to Andrew Orlowski (CLANG!) he told me it was an open competition between the Graun and the Telegraph for as many pro-Twitter articles they could write to get favourable access and hits.

Having said that it works for the Heil, depends on your definition of work. Despite effectively being a website that trolls the entirety of the Net, publishes soft porn and aims to be an absolute car crash, Mail Online gets fewer daily viewers than the average episode of Emmerdale.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:09 
INFINITE POWAH

Why the fuck were you talking to Orlowski? Especially without punching the fucker in the face.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:45 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Why the fuck were you talking to Orlowski? Especially without punching the fucker in the face.

:this: He's a fucking twat that guy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:47 
INFINITE POWAH

A deliberate twat at that, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:47 
Honey Boo Boo

Plissken wrote:
Despite effectively being a website that trolls the entirety of the Net, publishes soft porn and aims to be an absolute car crash, Mail Online gets fewer daily viewers than the average episode of Emmerdale.

Much of that traffic comes from Mrs Meaty :facepalm:

"I only read it for the celebrity stories and funny pictures of animals!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:59 
Chinny chin chin

Bamba wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

:this: He's a fucking twat that guy.

:this:x 1000

Post subject: death of the guardian
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 18:04 
baron of techno

MaliA wrote:
The guardian is not a newspaper anymore.

Are you basing you opinion on the physical paper? Because I agree, the website, which largely links to Comment Is Free troll fests, is depressing. The paper itself is great, although I only buy the Saturday one now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 18:07 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
MaliA wrote:
The guardian is not a newspaper anymore.

Are you basing you opinion on the physical paper? Because I agree, the website, which largely links to Comment Is Free troll fests, is depressing. The paper itself is great, although I only buy the Saturday one now.

Nobody came here for a lecture on communism.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 18:30 
It's all pish

metalangel wrote:
Plissken wrote:
Despite effectively being a website that trolls the entirety of the Net, publishes soft porn and aims to be an absolute car crash, Mail Online gets fewer daily viewers than the average episode of Emmerdale.

Much of that traffic comes from Mrs Meaty :facepalm:

"I only read it for the celebrity stories and funny pictures of animals!"

And a ton of hits come from Mrs Malc74, for exactly the same reasons.
:facepalm: :facepalm:

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 19:22 
Honey Boo Boo

Malc74 wrote:

I tried to think of a way to put a stop to it, but blocking the page just presented a glaringly obvious "NETGEAR ROUTER HAS PREVENTED ACCESS TO THIS PAGE" message.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 20:20 
Paws for thought

metalangel wrote:
Malc74 wrote:

I tried to think of a way to put a stop to it, but blocking the page just presented a glaringly obvious "NETGEAR ROUTER HAS PREVENTED ACCESS TO THIS PAGE" message.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29

- point the mail site to 127.0.0.1. Will appear to always be down unless you're hosting a web page on your local machine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:53 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

It was the Twestival thing that I kicked off on the Guardian site. Can't remember the exact chain of events, but he was following it because of the potential for an article on El Reg and so he contacted me and we had a decent chat about the whole Twitter hype-train and that.

The only other thing I remember about the conversation is he had never heard the phrase "don't piss on my back and tell me it is raining".

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 23:12 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... NTCMP=SRCH

Quote:
One commenter – "Plissken" – complained that "the people involved says it all, really", referring to the fact that several of the people quoted in Kiss's piece work in, gasp, marketing. "Itchybollix" agreed, asking whether "looking at that front-page photo should it be 'twatter'?" Seriously – what the hell is wrong with these people? Is it really more important for them to attack the people who use Twitter than to admit that, while they may not be a fan of the medium, the message it sends out with events such as Twestival can be pretty incredible?

Not as cool as wanting to punch Stewert Lee in the face, mind, but still, good work!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 23:16 

So when did the Graun switch its vision from the future away from Second Life and on to Twitter?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 23:39 
Honey Boo Boo

Kern wrote:
So when did the Graun switch its vision from the future away from Second Life and on to Twitter?

Ugh. Don't remind me.

BBC Radio 1 Big Weekend Virtual Music Festival by louisetidus, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 
What's this bit for exactly?

Psst, Pliss...
Your blog is arsed (server error)
I reckon you've been haxxord good...

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next