Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: US School Shooting/Gun Control
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Here's a table of gun deaths per head: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate

The UK: .25 per 100,000 (we're pleasingly near the bottom).
The US: 9 per 100,000 - that's thirty-six times higher :s
El Salvador: 50 8)

0.04 vs 2.98 if you only include homicides. 75 times higher...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Charlie Brooker has a piece in the Guardian which sums up things nicely.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ie-brooker

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Twenty children shot at close range with an assault rifle. You could argue that the choice of weapon is irrelevant; that a truly unhinged individual would still find the means to kill. Maybe that's true; I don't know. All I know is that 20 children were shot at close range with an assault rifle, and that only a lunatic nation wouldn't try everything it could think of to make that less likely to happen again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:04 

TheVision wrote:
I still can't see one valid reason for owning a gun. People say they have then to defend themselves, but why do you never hear if crazed gun men getting shot before they've had chance to kill anyone?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... estigation
Quote:
Armed civilians attempting to intervene are actually more likely to increase the bloodshed, says Hargarten, "given that civilian shooters are less likely to hit their targets than police in these circumstances." A chaotic scene in August at the Empire State Building put this starkly into perspective when New York City police officers confronting a gunman wounded nine innocent bystanders.

We used a conservative set of criteria to build a comprehensive rundown of high-profile attacks in public places—at schools, workplaces, government buildings, shopping malls—though they represent only a small fraction of the nation's overall gun violence. The FBI defines a mass murderer as someone who kills four or more people in a single incident, usually in one location. (As opposed to spree or serial killers, who strike multiple times.) We excluded cases involving armed robberies or gang violence; dropping the number of fatalities by just one, or including those motives, would add many, many more cases. (More about our criteria here.)

There was one case in our data set in which an armed civilian played a role. Back in 1982, a man opened fire at a welding shop in Miami, killing eight and wounding three others before fleeing on a bicycle. A civilian who worked nearby pursued the assailant in a car, shooting and killing him a few blocks away (in addition to ramming him with the car). Florida authorities, led by then-state attorney Janet Reno, concluded that the vigilante had used force justifiably, and speculated that he may have prevented additional killings. But even if we were to count that case as a successful armed intervention by a civilian, it would account for just 1.6 percent of the mass shootings in the last 30 years.

More broadly, attempts by armed civilians to stop shooting rampages are rare—and successful ones even rarer. There were two school shootings in the late 1990s, in Mississippi and Pennsylvania, in which bystanders with guns ultimately subdued the teen perpetrators, but in both cases it was after the shooting had subsided. Other cases led to tragic results. In 2005, as a rampage unfolded inside a shopping mall in Tacoma, Washington, a civilian named Brendan McKown confronted the assailant with a licensed handgun he was carrying. The assailant pumped several bullets into McKown and wounded six people before eventually surrendering to police after a hostage standoff. (A comatose McKown eventually recovered after weeks in the hospital.) In Tyler, Texas, that same year, a civilian named Mark Wilson fired his licensed handgun at a man on a rampage at the county courthouse. Wilson—who was a firearms instructor—was shot dead by the body-armored assailant, who wielded an AK-47. (None of these cases were included in our mass shootings data set because fewer than four victims died in each.)

Appeals to heroism on this subject abound. So does misleading information. Gun rights die-hards frequently credit the end of a rampage in 2002 at the Appalachian School of Law in Virginia to armed "students" who intervened—while failing to disclose that those students were also current and former law enforcement officers, and that the killer, according to police investigators, was out of ammo by the time they got to him.

From the same source, on the suject of America's gun laws in general:

Quote:
Among the more striking measures: Eight states now allow firearms in bars. Law-abiding Missourians can carry a gun while intoxicated and even fire it if "acting in self-defense." In Kansas, permit holders can carry concealed weapons inside K-12 schools, and Louisiana allows them in houses of worship. Virginia not only repealed a law requiring handgun vendors to submit sales records, but the state also ordered the destruction of all such previous records. More than two-thirds of these laws were passed by Republican-controlled statehouses, though often with bipartisan support.

The laws have caused dramatic changes, including in the two states hit with the recent carnage. Colorado passed its concealed-carry measure in 2003, issuing 9,522 permits that year; by the end of last year the state had handed out a total of just under 120,000, according to data we obtained from the County Sheriffs of Colorado. In March of this year, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled that concealed weapons are legal on the state's college campuses. (It is now the fifth state explicitly allowing them.) If former neuroscience student James Holmes were still attending the University of Colorado today, the movie theater killer—who had no criminal history and obtained his weapons legally—could've gotten a permit to tote his pair of .40 caliber Glocks straight into the student union. Wisconsin's concealed-carry law went into effect just nine months before the Sikh temple shooting in suburban Milwaukee this August. During that time, the state issued a whopping 122,506 permits, according to data from Wisconsin's Department of Justice. The new law authorizes guns on college campuses, as well as in bars, state parks, and some government buildings.

And we're on our way to a situation where the most lax state permitting rules—say, Virginia's, where an online course now qualifies for firearms safety training and has drawn a flood of out-of-state applicants—are in effect national law. Eighty percent of states now recognize handgun permits from at least some other states. And gun rights activists are pushing hard for a federal reciprocity bill—passed in the House late last year, with GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan among its most ardent supporters—that would essentially make any state's permits valid nationwide.

Indeed, the country's vast arsenal of handguns—at least 118 million of them as of 2010—is increasingly mobile, with 69 of the 99 new state laws making them easier to carry. A decade ago, seven states and the District of Columbia still prohibited concealed handguns; today, it's down to just Illinois and DC. (And Illinois recently passed an exception cracking the door open to carrying). In the 62 mass shootings we analyzed, 54 of the killers packed handguns—including in all 15 of the mass shootings since the surge of pro-gun laws began in 2009.

In a certain sense the law was on their side: nearly 80 percent of the killers in our investigation obtained their weapons legally.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:07 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:
It may be small to you, but try explaining that to a parent who's lost a child who's been shot.
Guns primary purpose us to cause damage and kill something living where as cars are a mode of transport. Argument invalid.

Try explaining that to a parent who's lost a child who's been run over.

They're hardly equivalent situations-
Guns made pretty much for killing things. Or failing that, for some dubious pleasure.
Cars made for transport.

There's also a difference in what education can do to mitigate the risks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:11 

The "huntin', shootin', sportin'" argument is one thing for basic rifles and shotguns. What about 100-round drum-fed full automatic assault rifles? Or why should it entitle someone to wear a concealed .45 calibre pistol when he or she is out shopping at the mall, worshipping in church, or visiting their child's school?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:13 

Distinction should be made here between shotguns, as legitimately used by farmers and the like, and assault rifles, as deployed in this tragic case, which are clearly an out and out combat weapon?

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:15 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
What about 100-round drum-fed full automatic assault rifles? Or why should it entitle someone to wear a concealed .45 calibre pistol when he or she is out shopping at the mall, worshipping in church, or visiting their child's school?

Doesn't that fall under the incredibly nebulous "Right to arms" amendment?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:16 
Gogmagog

Lord Raiden wrote:
Distinction should be made here between shotguns, as legitimately used by farmers and the like, and assault rifles, as deployed in this tragic case, which are clearly an out and out combat weapon?

I agree. What about a semi automatic rifle for hunting?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:18 

MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

Personally, I'd say a semi automatic rifle is also a combat weapon.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:22 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:
Charlie Brooker has a piece in the Guardian which sums up things nicely.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ie-brooker

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Twenty children shot at close range with an assault rifle. You could argue that the choice of weapon is irrelevant; that a truly unhinged individual would still find the means to kill. Maybe that's true; I don't know. All I know is that 20 children were shot at close range with an assault rifle, and that only a lunatic nation wouldn't try everything it could think of to make that less likely to happen again.

I think it might have been on the same day as the shooting, but in China, where 23 children were attacked with a knife, but as far as I'm aware, there were no deaths. Had a gun been available it could have been worse. (Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of either incident)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

Whilst normally I'm very much in the "guns don't kill people" camp, I agree with Cavey and The Doc on this point.

Thing is, Americans (some Americans, I should qualify) own a gun specifically to protect themselves from other people with guns - so in that case, an assault rifle is a good choice. The fact that they feel the need to do so is another matter, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:32 

I thought assault rifles already were banned in America. You can't wander into a shop over there and buy an AK47 or M16 can you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:32 

Personally, I think having a gun is considerably *more* dangerous than not having one, in an aggravated burglary/home protection scenario, if you're not prepared to actually use it, which most sane people wouldn't be.

I still say there's only one answer when it comes to "home protection", above and beyond what you yourself are capable of:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
I thought assault rifles already were banned in America. You can't wander into a shop over there and buy an AK47 or M16 can you?

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:34 

Grim... wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

Whilst normally I'm very much in the "guns don't kill people" camp, I agree with Cavey and The Doc on this point.

Thing is, Americans (some Americans, I should qualify) own a gun specifically to protect themselves from other people with guns - so in that case, an assault rifle is a good choice. The fact that they feel the need to do so is another matter, of course.

Surely it's a rubbish choice, they aren't made for fighting indoors particularly are they?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Yup.

Indeed you can (although it would be an AR-15 rather than M-16). However, they're de-automaticised, so they're just semi-autros, although you can legally buy a kit to re-automaticise them. Not sure if the re-automaticised gun itself is then legal, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Yup.

Indeed you can (although it would be an AR-15 rather than M-16). However, they're de-automaticised, so they're just semi-autros, although you can legally buy a kit to re-automaticise them. Not sure if the re-automaticised gun itself is then legal, though.

I thought you could buy full-autos in certain states?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:37 

Grim... wrote:

No, it isn't. I'll quote this from earlier:

Quote:
There was one case in our data set in which an armed civilian played a role. Back in 1982, a man opened fire at a welding shop in Miami, killing eight and wounding three others before fleeing on a bicycle. A civilian who worked nearby pursued the assailant in a car, shooting and killing him a few blocks away (in addition to ramming him with the car). Florida authorities, led by then-state attorney Janet Reno, concluded that the vigilante had used force justifiably, and speculated that he may have prevented additional killings. But even if we were to count that case as a successful armed intervention by a civilian, it would account for just 1.6 percent of the mass shootings in the last 30 years.

Any US police force gives the same advice: when confronted by a gunman, you hide, run away, or do whatever they tell you. Even if you're armed, no US police force will advise you to fight back, because you're going to get yourself killed and you're likely to kill others in the process. So an assault rifle is not a good defense weapon because the statistics are absolutely clear that there is no good defense weapon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:38 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Yup.

I thought you could buy full-autos in certain states?

Wikipedia says:

Quote:
Civilian ownership of assault rifles or any other full-automatic firearm is tightly regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives under the National Firearms Act of 1934 as amended by Title II of the Gun Control Act of 1968. In addition, the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986 halted the manufacture of assault rifles for the civilian market and currently limits legal civilian ownership to units produced and properly registered with the BATFE before May 1986. Some states have enacted laws against civilian possession of automatic weapons that override NFA clearance; Kansas, on the other hand, repealed its own state law against civilian ownership of assault rifles in July 2008.[24] Civilians may purchase semi-automatic versions of such firearms without requiring NFA clearance, although some states (including California and New Jersey) enforce their own restrictions and/or prohibitions on such weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:40 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So an assault rifle is not a good defense weapon because the statistics are absolutely clear that there is no good defense weapon.

But, Doc, you are applying rational logic to someone who considers an assault rifle to be a good home defense weapon, and feels the need to have one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:42 

MaliA wrote:
But, Doc, you are applying rational logic to someone who considers an assault rifle to be a good home defense weapon, and feels the need to have one.
Are we debating whether the US should have stricter gun control laws, or realistically could have stricter gun control laws? Your point is only pertinent to the second debate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:44 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Are we debating whether the US should have stricter gun control laws, or realistically could have stricter gun control laws? Your point is only pertinent to the second debate.

I'm talking about could gun control laws be better. I've given up on the idea of lollipops and unicorns and now stick to working with what we've got.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:48 

I'm far from convinced the US has the political will to change anything at all. I think that in the minds of far too many Americans, 20 dead kids is the price of doing business, and that's all she wrote.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:50 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'm far from convinced the US has the political will to change anything at all. I think that in the minds of far too many Americans, 20 dead kids is the price of doing business, and that's all she wrote.

Sadly, I agree.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:51 

Empirically speaking, there is surely no doubt *whatsoever* that US gun laws could be better; this is simply beyond any dispute. Even the most cursory glance at their homicide stats sees to that.

More helpfully I guess, they should surely try to emulate those peer nations - and their legislation - which have demonstrably yielded far less gun-related deaths, and therefore much less human cost and misery. This simple empirical approach (adopting demonstrable best practices, as (often painfully and expensively) determined by others), as I have long argued ad nauseum, applies to a very great number of policy areas, for all countries - from healthcare to welfare, business models to politics - not just mere gun legislation. But of course, each country seems to like reinventing the wheel (coming up with something square-shaped for much of the time), which is somewhat exasperating and inexplicable to my admittedly simplistic world-view and way of thinking.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Lord Raiden wrote:
Empirically speaking, there is surely no doubt *whatsoever* that US gun laws could be better; this is simply beyond any dispute. Even the most cursory glance at their homicide stats sees to that.

More helpfully I guess, they should surely try to emulate those peer nations - and their legislation - which have demonstrably yielded far less gun-related deaths, and therefore much less human cost and misery. This simply empirical approach, as I have long argued ad nauseum, applies to a very great number of policy areas, for all countries - from healthcare to welfare, business models to politics - not just mere gun legislation. But of course, each country seems to like reinventing the wheel (coming up with something square-shaped for much of the time), which is somewhat exasperating and inexplicable to my admittedly simplistic world-view and way of thinking.

However, have any of their other peer nations put in legislation to combat 115 million handguns already in circulation?
The answer seems to be ingrained in that old joke of "I wouldn't start from here".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:54 

Lord Raiden wrote:
Empirically speaking, there is surely no doubt *whatsoever* that US gun laws could be better; this is simply beyond any dispute.
"Realistically could". As in, something that stands a cat-in-Hells-chance of getting passed into law.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:54 
Gogmagog

Lord Raiden wrote:

More helpfully I guess, they should surely try to emulate those peer nations - and their legislation - which have demonstrably yielded far less gun-related deaths, and therefore much less human cost and misery. This simple empirical approach (adopting demonstrable best practices, as (often painfully and expensively) determined by others), as I have long argued ad nauseum, applies to a very great number of policy areas, for all countries - from healthcare to welfare, business models to politics - not just mere gun legislation. But of course, each country seems to like reinventing the wheel (coming up with something square-shaped for much of the time), which is somewhat exasperating and inexplicable to my admittedly simplistic world-view and way of thinking.

EMERGENCY:

If this is the case then you must think that Thatcher was wrong to implement a Reagen way of thinking in her UK policies. POS

Post subject: US School Shooting/Gun Control
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:55 
baron of techno

The prez is making noises that things need to change.
He doesn't have much to lose really. Apart from a number of federal agents when they start to go around collecting guns :s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:56 

Trooper wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

More helpfully I guess, they should surely try to emulate those peer nations - and their legislation - which have demonstrably yielded far less gun-related deaths, and therefore much less human cost and misery. This simply empirical approach, as I have long argued ad nauseum, applies to a very great number of policy areas, for all countries - from healthcare to welfare, business models to politics - not just mere gun legislation. But of course, each country seems to like reinventing the wheel (coming up with something square-shaped for much of the time), which is somewhat exasperating and inexplicable to my admittedly simplistic world-view and way of thinking.

However, have any of their other peer nations put in legislation to combat 115 million handguns already in circulation?
The answer seems to be ingrained in that old joke of "I wouldn't start from here".

True enough, but you have to start somewhere. Just because something is going to be bloody difficult to implement, over however long is ultimately needed, doesn't make it wrong, or indeed somehow not worthwhile starting that process?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:56 

Trooper wrote:
Closest I know of is the Australian government, which bought and destroyed "631,000 firearms, mostly semi-auto .22 rimfires, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:57 

MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

EMERGENCY:

If this is the case then you must think that Thatcher was wrong to implement a Reagen way of thinking in her UK policies. POS

Why?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:59 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
Empirically speaking, there is surely no doubt *whatsoever* that US gun laws could be better; this is simply beyond any dispute.
"Realistically could". As in, something that stands a cat-in-Hells-chance of getting passed into law.

Call me insanely optimistic, or just plain stupid. I'm not suggesting these things will be easy, but as per your Australian example (probably a commensurate gun-per-capita density), I say it *could* be done and it would be worthwhile so doing. As well as, IMO, the morally and responsibly correct thing to do anyway.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:00 
Gogmagog

Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
EMERGENCY:

Why?

Because, if, as you say, America's thinking and policies have been wrong, and wrong for a long, long, time, then Thatcher, whose Reagen influenced policies were brought to fruition in the UK must also be wrong. Which is against how I think you think.

Thus makes no sense and I recommend a stiff brandy and a cigar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:03 

MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
EMERGENCY:

Why?

Because, if, as you say, America's thinking and policies have been wrong, and wrong for a long, long, time, then Thatcher, whose Reagen influenced policies were brought to fruition in the UK must also be wrong. Which is against how I think you think.

Thus makes no sense and I recommend a stiff brandy and a cigar.

Not sure which rabbit-hole you're advocating here mate, but I think I'll pass. :)
Note I'm only saying American gun policy - never even remotely enacted within the UK - was, and is wrong. Not everything they have ever done, about anything, evarr...

Still, a brandy and cigar is always a good move :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

More investigation shows we are both a bit wrong - you can buy them in certain states, but you can't just buy them from a shop.

[edit]Yeah, that took me a while to post. I'm talking about automatic Assault Rifles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:05 

Guardian article on ten ways in which the NRA has aggressively lobbied for reductions in gun control: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ap ... ntrol-laws

I think this is my favourite: "The NRA has also been lobbying for several years to expand the right to carry hidden loaded guns into bars and restaurants." Because, obviously, fights never break out in bars, so there's no downside to arming drunks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:07 
Gogmagog

Lord Raiden wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

Call me insanely optimistic, or just plain stupid. I'm not suggesting these things will be easy, but as per your Australian example (probably a commensurate gun-per-capita density), I say it *could* be done and it would be worthwhile so doing. As well as, IMO, the morally and responsibly correct thing to do anyway.

but, if such a scheme was even mentioned, lots of people would start the cry "they are trying to take our guns in violation of the constitution!" and Congress or Representatives, posisbly both, would never pass it, because tehre's a lot of votes in the constitution and one thing the politicians are not going to give up on is votes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So an assault rifle is not a good defense weapon because the statistics are absolutely clear that there is no good defense weapon.

This. An assault rifle is bigger, shinier and bangier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:10 

MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

but, if such a scheme was even mentioned, lots of people would start the cry "they are trying to take our guns in violation of the constitution!" and Congress or Representatives, posisbly both, would never pass it, because tehre's a lot of votes in the constitution and one thing the politicians are not going to give up on is votes.

I don't deny any of that. But what's right is right (or, more accurately, though somewhat less catchily: "what's empirically demonstrated as efficacious and best practice in terms of hard data, cold facts and actual, demonstrable results is what's empirically demonstrated as efficacious and best practice in terms of hard data, cold facts and actual, demonstrable results" :D )

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:10 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

This. An assault rifle is bigger, shinier and bangier.

Given the choice, and not bothering to read much, I'd have an assault rifle. for those reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:12 

To be fair here, having stuff that's bangier than the next man's isn't too bad a maxim to adopt.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:12 
Gogmagog

Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

I don't deny any of that. But what's right is right (or, more accurately, though somewhat less catchily: "what's empirically demonstrated as efficacious and best practice in terms of hard data, cold facts and actual, demonstrable results is what's empirically demonstrated as efficacious and best practice in terms of hard data, cold facts and actual, demonstrable results" :D )

It is a mystery, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:13 
Gogmagog

Lord Raiden wrote:
To be fair here, having stuff that's bangier than the next man's isn't too bad a maxim to adopt.

I'd strap an assault rifle to a rottweiler.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:13 
Sleepyhead

At the end of the day, a lot of people are in the pay of the NRA, whose aim is for all people to be in possession of a firearm at all times, regardless of any scale of risk, such as previous felonies, mental state, etc.

For the NRA, and their supporters, 20 kids is a happy price to pay for gun ownership, and in fact means more people should have guns. If it had been 2000 kids, they'd just shout louder that more guns were needed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:14 

MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

He doesn't need one

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:14 
Gogmagog

Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

He doesn't need one

Good point.

I'd strap TWO assault rifles to a rottweiller.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:16 
Comfortably Dumb

MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

Plus I guess there'd be plenty of moaning about ruining the US firearms industry. I say guess.. I've no idea where most of these guns are made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:16 

MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

He doesn't need one

Good point.

I'd strap TWO assault rifles to a rottweiller.

At this rate I am going to show him your photo and say "now boy, go fetch those two meatballs I hid in that man's trousers" :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:18 
Sleepyhead

I support the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment.

All people should have the right to own a gun of equal quality and effectiveness as those that existed in the 1700s.

Might be harder to go on a spree.

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next