Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: US School Shooting/Gun Control
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A chap some of you might have heard of called Cam Winstanley makes a good point: bullets aren't mentioned in the Constitution, so just ban them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I had no idea he was on Twitter! Good work Grim...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:25 

Grim... wrote:
A chap some of you might have heard of called Cam Winstanley makes a good point: bullets aren't mentioned in the Constitution, so just ban them.

That's the topic of a very old, very famous and very funny Chris Rock stand-up skit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Youtube us, biatch!

TheVision wrote:
I had no idea he was on Twitter! Good work Grim...

He wrote a book, too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:46 
Excellent Member

Things might happen this time around. Whilst there's obviously no appetite for repealing the 2nd Amendment, a few Senators and Representatives who are NRA members are making noises about supporting a new assault weapons ban and perhaps outlawing high-capacity magazines. I think that has the potential to pass next year, and the NRA may take the blow rather than look as if they're supporting the right to murder children...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:51 
Gogmagog

Peter St. John wrote:
Things might happen this time around. Whilst there's obviously no appetite for repealing the 2nd Amendment, a few Senators and Representatives who are NRA members are making noises about supporting a new assault weapons ban and perhaps outlawing high-capacity magazines. I think that has the potential to pass next year, and the NRA may take the blow rather than look as if they're supporting the right to murder children...

High volume magazines are a complete non issue, though. It is trivially easy to swap an empty one with a full one. I suspect any NRA members in positions of power are just making the right noises now, and later on will forget about things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:56 
Excellent Member

I doubt that an assault weapons/capacity ban is actually going to solve the problem - but it's an interesting step, seeing as how the past decade has been littered with win after win for the gun lobby (I think last week the 2nd Circuit Court basically made concealed carry the law of the land), so even some pushback is a bit of a victory for us gun control types.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:24 
Excellent Member

There have been a fair few deaths in Baltimore from street gang fights where the bullets that miss punch through the walls of houses wounding and killing people. In some bad neighbourhoods families have taken to sleeping in the basement.

The thought of an assault weapon being used in home defence chills me to the bone. Those bullets don't stop at walls.

The main thing is to limit the accessibility of guns. If the crux of their arguement is to defend against a tyranical government, surely highly secured local county militias - aka gun clubs - would be a safer place to store weaponry, with access only permissable to groups of members at a time to prevent lone gunmen nutjobs. It seems that the main policy behind the NRA's relentless and bizarre 'guns for all and everywhere' policy is to make a legal buffer zone between their core need to own a stupidly powerful weapon and any attempts congress may make. That way Congress has to fight lots of little battles before they can put serious laws in place.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:34 

NervousPete wrote:
It seems that the main policy behind the NRA's relentless and bizarre 'guns for all and everywhere' policy is to make a legal buffer zone between their core need to own a stupidly powerful weapon and any attempts congress may make.
I read a good piece yesterday (which I have now lost) from a former reporter who worked for many years for ESPNOutdoor, which is the part of ESPN that covered shooting sports. He had therefore spent a lot of time with NRA reps at various events and suchlike. He was crystal clear that most of them do not believe the stuff the organisation says; it's not about the "need to own a stupidly powerful weapon". It's about profits of the hundreds of companies that manufactures and supplies guns and accessories. It's corporatism, pure and simple.

Edit -- here's the link: http://deadspin.com/5968775/former-espn ... re-selling

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:38 
Excellent Member

Well can't we persuade the companies to make awesomely powered happy-fun-time Laser Tag equipment that works in the daylight hours? Or weapons that fire marshmallow like in Bugsy Mallone?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:44 
Bad Girl

Did we know that the Constituional right to bear arms in the states is based on the UK law's very own Bill of Rights

Quote:
"That the Subjects that are Protestants, may have Arms for their Defence suitable to their Condition, and as allowed by Law"

The Americans completely did away with the emboldened paragraph, cause, like, they're super smart. But had it remained they might not have the legislative problems that they have faced after each and every disaster.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:21 
Excellent Member

(as an aside, I live in a reasonably gentrified area of Durham, and yet I still hear gunshots late at night / early in the morning - on a bi-monthly basis or so, but still fairly concerning!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Peter St. John wrote:
(as an aside, I live in a reasonably gentrified area of Durham, and yet I still hear gunshots late at night / early in the morning - on a bi-monthly basis or so, but still fairly concerning!)

Well, you are just down the road from Washington ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:04 
Skillmeister

Peter St. John wrote:

It's probably an old timey golddigger celebrating his find. I hear that happens a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:02 
Comfortably Dumb

Rather disturbing pro-gun spam I just got...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The primary-school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, approximately 45 miles from the Colt Arms Factory, is just another one in the long line of government psyops designed to persuade the public to allow the government to take away their guns, and their means to defend themselves against the government and the banksters that the politicians really serve.

The small children murders are designed to create hysterical emotions in women to get them to demand that guns are banned. If that doesn’t work they will continue with their evil agenda with worse and worse atrocities on younger children, until they get their way and disarm the people, so that they cannot fight back against government tyranny.

Newtown is the U.S.A.’s Dunblane, which was orchestrated in Scotland in 1996 by the British establishment, to whip up hysteria in order to ban all handguns from the U.K. It was a follow-up to the Hungerford Massacre in England in 1987, which was carried out by mind-controlled Michael Ryan, who then shot himself so he could not be questioned, and it was used to ban semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.

It’s always the same people behind it – the gun-grabbers who want the people to be defenceless against the gun-grabbers’ employers – the banksters who own all of the politicians. They get their politicians to pass legislation for them, in order to remove the people’s freedoms and means of defending themselves, and enslave them in a draconian police-state, under a mountain of debt, and then exterminate the useless-eaters.

The Dunblane massacre was supposedly carried out by Thomas Hamilton, who was a paedophile and procurer of children, for a high level paedophile ring involving senior members of the Tony Blair Labour-Party shadow-cabinet and others. The massacre served two purposes, it achieved their desired handgun-ban and killed the abused children, so they could not be witnesses against the elite-paedophiles. They then had the findings of the inquiry sealed for 100 years, which is proof of the above.

Like Newtown there were two shooters, Hamilton and a hit-man who shot Hamilton and made it look like Hamilton committed suicide after shooting 16 children, so that he couldn’t be questioned. Hamilton was found in the school gymnasium slumped against a wall and still gurgling, when an off-duty policeman PC Grant McCutcheon entered the gym and saw two semi-automatic pistols, one on either side of Hamilton’s body.

The autopsy revealed that Hamilton was killed with a .38 revolver. These people always slip-up with their crimes. There was no .38 revolver for him to have shot himself with. Thus, there was a second shooter who killed Hamilton.

Similarly, the first reports from Newtown were of two shooters, just like mind-controlled James Holmes in the Denver Batman Cinema massacre, the story then quickly changes to just one.

Columbine was similar, in that a team of shooters in black outfits were seen there and the two accused were on mind-altering prescription-drugs.

Wake up and see the pattern and their modus operandi and don’t fall for it. Never let them take your guns, except from your cold dead hands.

All of these are staged events to whip-up hysterical public support for banning the people from having guns. It works the same in every country – Hungerford in England, Dunblane in Scotland, Port Arthur in Australia and the list in America is endless, because of the Second Amendment and the people having a pro-gun culture. That makes it much more difficult to break the Americans’ love of guns and the Second Amendment, which was put in place to protect the people from the government.

Gun bans work well for tyrants. They worked well for Hitler, Stalin and Chairman Mao, to name just three.

If you want to stop these massacres, wake-up and get rid of the banksters, their puppet-politicians and all gun-grabbers; arm teachers and ban gun-free zones.

From one who can see the pattern and hopes to enable you to see it too.

The mind boggles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:32 
Best
Board Mother

Blimey.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 0:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Jesus fucking Christ.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:36 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Good grief? Who on earth would believe that tripe let alone write it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:46 
INFINITE POWAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:51 

Man alive, that's just appalling. :(

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:57 
Gogmagog

Crikey. That's mind blowing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:38 
Excellent Member

Incredible stuff. Fortunately I bet that even gun-nuts will be raising eyebrows at that garbage. It goes so far as to be absurd.

It's a shame that with encroaching senility a great man such as Heston was seduced by the NRA. He had a famously liberal attitude in Hollywood, was a campaigner for equal rights and anti-racism and was bold in portraying inter-racial love on screen. I always felt sadness at his being co-opted.

He also did a tremendously well informed and lovely big afterwood for one of Master & Commander novels.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:13 
Master of dodgy spelling....

oh my....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 18:19 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I'm always astounded that the conspiracy nut who think that the Government has mind-controlled assassins to forward it's evil plots would be dumb enough to do something like issue the second assassin the wrong type of gun.

Also, the inquiry into Dunblane is public. The revolver he used to kill himself was still in his hand when the emergency services arrived.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 20:30 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

You are picking holes in a sieve; the guy's a nutbar - end of.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 23:16 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Oh, absolutely. But I have a sort of grudging respect for a well constructed lunatic conspiracy theory. This one was just lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 15:19 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

You know what would stop these tragic school shootings? More guns in schools.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 15:26 
Rude Belittler

In other news, Republican Congressman discussed new 'gasoline based fire-fighting' policy and agreed it would be great!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 18:48 

Obama just announced a task force to look into gun violence. "This is a team that has a very specific task: to come up with specific reforms right now."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 18:53 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/us/po ... ml?hp&_r=0

Text follows

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Obama said Wednesday that he will submit broad, new gun control proposals to Congress no later than January and will commit the power of his office to overcoming political opposition in the wake of last week’s school massacre.

The president’s pledge comes as key House Republicans restated their firm opposition to enacting any new limits on firearms or ammunition, setting up the possibility of a philosophical clash over the Second Amendment early in Mr. Obama’s second term.

“This time, the words need to lead to action,” Mr. Obama said, referring to outrage to previous mass shootings that eventually led to little or no legislative changes. But he said that the proposals would not be just about weapons.

“We are going to need to work on making access to mental healthcare at least as easy as access to guns,” he said.

During the appearance in the White House briefing room, the president said he has directed Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. to lead an interagency effort to develop in the next several weeks what the White House says will be a multi-faceted approach to preventing similar mass shootings and the many other gun deaths that occur each year.

Mr. Obama, flanked by Mr. Biden, did not offer any specifics about the proposals. But he promised to confront the long-standing opposition in Congress that has previously blocked more aggressive gun control measures.

“I will use all the powers of this office to help advance efforts aimed at preventing more tragedies like this,” Mr. Obama said. “It won’t be easy, but that can’t be an excuse not to try.”

The president said Mr. Biden’s group will make proposals for new laws and actions in January, and he said those will be “proposals that I then intend to push.” Mr. Obama said of Mr. Biden’s effort: “This is not some Washington commission” that will take six months and be shelved.

He said the “conversation has to continue. But this time, the words need to lead to action. I urge the new Congress to hold votes on these new measure next year, in a timely manner.”

When asked about the fiscal negotiations, President Obama said that he would be reaching out to Congressional leaders of both sides to try to move the talks forward even as House Republicans were preparing to vote on their alternative proposals.

The deaths of 20 young children appears to have softened opposition to gun control among some Democratic lawmakers, particularly in the Senate. But there has been little indication that Republicans who control the House of Representatives are willing to accept new restrictions.

Representative Bob Goodlatte, a Republican from Virginia and the incoming chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said Tuesday that has has no interest in moving any sort of gun control legislation through the chamber.

“We’re going to take a look at what happened there and what can be done to help avoid it in the future, but gun control is not going to be something that I would support,” Mr. Goodlatte told the Roll Call newspaper.

Representative Howard Coble, Republican of North Carolina, said in an interview that he thought the talk of gun control was “probably a rush to judgment” that missed the real issue.

“I think it’s more of a mental health problem than a gun problem right now,” he said in an interview. “Traditionally states that enact rigid, inflexible gun laws do not show a corresponding diminishment in crime. I think we need to be careful there. I think we need to look at how the mentally impaired get access to firearms.”

While he said he would want to study any proposal made by the president, he suspected the rest of the Judiciary Committee majority would agree with his views. “I suspect it would be pretty much what Chairman Goodlatte told you and what I told you,” he said.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 20:05 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Apparently gun sales have shot up due to the fear the guvmunt will tek are guns.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 20:13 
baron of techno

“We are going to need to work on making access to mental healthcare at least as easy as access to guns,” he said.

Helluva good line. Hopefully it doesn't get him shot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:12 
Hello Hello Hello

More guns required!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/de ... ds-schools

Quote:
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," LaPierre said. He said that if Adam Lanza, the Newtown gunman, had been confronted by a qualified armed security guard as he began blasting his way into Sandy Hook elementary school last Friday, "isn't it at least possible that 26 little kids might have been spared that day".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:22 
Bad Girl

If there'd been a security guard he'd probably been the 2nd victim and the total dead +1.

What you need are THREE armed security guards. With bazookas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:45 
Excellent Member

A lot of the time in US school shootings, it’s a teenager who has had a shitty time at school via his peers, not for one minute saying this makes it right, but in these cases there is some twisted logic and reason why the wrong person can go mental when bullied and when they have access to guns.

With this guy I don’t understand he was 20, and shot a load of 6 years olds, what could they have ever done to hurt him? He was 14 when most of them where born.

This must be the worst every school shooting the US has had and hopefully they can introduce some sensible rules on guns moving on.

Spent a lot of time thinking about this with my wife expecting etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:49 
Hello Hello Hello

As far as I can tell his mum was a fucking paranoid mentalist 'prepper' who was convinced apocalypse was imminent.

Probably not a good match for an Aspie/autistic lad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:51 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
As far as I can tell his mum was a fucking paranoid mentalist 'prepper' who was convinced was imminent.

Its amazing how many people are hording stuff, spending at lot of money in the process for the "apocalypse" in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 20:14 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Given the recent statements by the NRA, this doesn't seem that outlandish

http://newsthump.com/2012/12/15/us-nati ... n-schools/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 20:18 
Worst

asfish wrote:
This must be the worst every school shooting the US has had

In terms of utter malice, the Bath school massacre boggles my mind nearly a century on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 
Participant in dramatic games

I first thought that NRA-man was a parody.. incredible

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:43 
Excellent Member

romanista wrote:
I first thought that NRA-man was a parody

Um...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 15:36 
baron of techno

Astounding, that NRA thing. It was like that bit in Mars Attacks - in the preceding week they'd done a bit of PR, hinting that yes, perhaps it was time to make real concessions, let's give it a few days out of respect, we're moving with the times.

And then all guns blazing, NRA cliches turned up to 11, almost gleefully entrenched in the same stupid arguments. Oh well, it pays to be massively cynical!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:42 

Saturnalian wrote:
If there'd been a security guard he'd probably been the 2nd victim and the total dead +1.

What you need are THREE armed security guards. With bazookas.

Patriot missile batteries are obviously the way forward... but there again, what happens if the missile operator gets shot?
... Ach, install D5 Trident Missiles at every primary school; just enlarge the pond. Job job! :D

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:13 
Bad Girl

The world will be a safer place as soon as someone makes ED-209 a reality.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 13:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
The world will be a safer place as soon as someone makes ED-209 a reality.

First into the crosshairs should be Mr NRA.

Robocop is 25 years old now 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:59 
INFINITE POWAH

asfish wrote:
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
As far as I can tell his mum was a fucking paranoid mentalist 'prepper' who was convinced was imminent.

Its amazing how many people are hording stuff, spending at lot of money in the process for the "apocalypse" in the US.

Sometimes they're proved right, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y_6H617Fcs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 20:17 
Where are you?

Quote:

:(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:41 
Comfortably Dumb

Uh oh.. I've just found myself on Piers Morgan's side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:49 
Sleepyhead

Two cops were shot dead yesterday too.

The NRA should campaign to get the police to have guns too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 13:37 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Has anyone else seen the Piers Morgan/Alex Jones video that's doing the rounds?

If you haven't.. you should. Alex Jones is an American DJ (I think) but he's also a lunatic who's against gun control.

It's got to be seen to be believed.. The guy goes off on one like he's from the WWF in the 80's. I don't like Piers Morgan but this has warmed me to him a bit. He conducts himself admirably in the face of this nutter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XZvMwcluEg

Here's the link to the video on YouTube but if someone can embed it for me, I'm sure that would be better for everyone.

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next