Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 560 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Call of Duty 8: Modern Warfare 3 **OFFICIAL TOPIC**
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 16:28 

Alright, MW3 is less than a week away. I've already dropped a fiver on it at Tesco to save 70-odd pence on Battlefield 3, so I might as well get it, eh?

Anyone excited? Who's getting it?

I'm warming to Battlefield 3 more and more, but I'm still struggling to shake the disappointment of how broken and buggy it is. CoD games generally deliver on that front, with a good user interface, loads of fun game modes (plus some new ones this year), and they make it easy to play with your mates. Rather than limiting you to yourself and three others, one of whom will inevitably be dumped on the opposing fucking team. But any way, this is a separate thread for MW3 discussion, so less of that.

:metul:

Post subject: Re: Call of Duty 8: Modern Warfare 3 **OFFICIAL TOPIC**
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 16:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

In a "much too lazy to read anything" way, do we know what's new? I saw that they've changed the killstreak logic to include things like flag captures and stuff - what else?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 16:39 

I've got work to be doing, but I'll briefly list what I can remember off the top of my heed!

There are now three killstreak "trees" to choose from. One is the regular one where if you stay alive, you get attack choppers and stuff (I'm not entirely clear on this one, actually - can someone confirm? Is it basically the same as killstreaks used to be, or is it modified slightly?). One is a support oriented one where even if you die, your kill streak continues and you're given support stuff like UAVs and care packages and stuff, and the final one is for "lone gunners" - with every other kill you unlock one of the perks until you've unlocked them all and you're a total badass. Resets when you die, though.

New game modes, there's one called "Kill Confirmed" or something, which is basically TDM, but you only get half of the XP for shooting someone and you get the other half for "confirming the kill" by picking up a dogtag they drop. You can also pick up the dogtags of your team mates to deny the opposition XP/points. There's also an "Oddball" rip off with a flag, where players must hold onto the flag for as long as possible whilst points are racked up. Which is good because Oddball is one of my favourite Halo modes.

I'm sure there's plenty more stuff, but that's all I can think of right now. I'm chuffed about the killstreak stuff, though. It tackles my main criticism of the previous games head-on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 16:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'll be waiting for some player reviews and to see what happens with BF3 over time.

I really enjoyed MW2, then moved to BF:BC2 and loved that, then bought Blops and thought it was rubbish. If MW3 is like MW2 I may be interested.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:01 

Oh yeah, and now you level your weapons as well as your character apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:03 
Decapodian

I've got BF3 but haven't had time to venture online yet - I've not played any of the previous ones so thought it was about time I played a slightly more thoughtful shooter.

That said, I've still ordered MW3 from Asda for £32 as I know I'll end up playing that a hell of a lot over the next few months.
Annoyingly I couldn't get the day off work this year so I'll have to wait till the evening to give it a go.

As for the changes, I like the sound of the weapon levelling but the killstreaks all sounds very confusing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 18:04 
Bad Girl

Without trying to sound glib, how does weapon levelling differ from MW2's system of unlocking attachments for kills?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 18:09 

It has a name now!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 18:10 
Decapodian

Ian Fairies wrote:
Without trying to sound glib, how does weapon levelling differ from MW2's system of unlocking attachments for kills?

I read it as enabling things like less recoil and faster aiming as opposed to physical attachments.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 19:20 
Excellent Member

As much as I'm loving BF3. MW3 running at 60fps makes a massive difference to play, slick fast very John Woo. Love it.

Killstreaks are digital crack - 'Pave low in bound' is music to my ears - break from cover whip out shot gun and clear rooms for people taking cover and take down rocket launching players in open space.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:38 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Where can I get this on release day?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

Personally, if it was me, I would try a shop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:42 
Rude Belittler

I think its going to be worse than BLOPS to be honest. I preferred BLOPS to MW2 in both single player and MP. Looking at MW3, it just feels like more of the same. CoD4 is one of my all-time faves, but MW2 was a let down. BLOPS was a pleasant surprise but still didn't really improve on 4.

The majority of 'improvements' are either *sigh* more gadgets, or altering how you obtain gadgets. Fuck that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:51 
Rude Belittler

Oh, and I bet they haven't changed the fucking knife.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:57 

They have, actually. HA!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:58 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Booo, save it for the BF3 thread! :)
I didn't really prefer Blops single player, it was a bit more polished, but it wasn't great. Going back to play mw2 after blops shows up mw2 a bit, but blops wasn't a huge increase over mw2. mw2 was a big step over mw1 though, but that may simply be my sheer desperation to play something new after playing so much cod4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 21:56 
It'll be shiny MW2

I don't see new game modes being such a big addition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 22:02 

I like new game modes. Plenty of variety. Halo is great for that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 22:27 
Sleepyhead

Having gone back to MW2 recently, I have to say that I think it's way better than BLOPS, albeit it with a couple of annoyances (overpowered noob tubes and no running dives).

I can only imagine MW3 will be a FIFA-esque upgrade to MW2, and I can live with that. New maps, new unlocks, etc. As shallow as it is, I loved the unlocks in MW2 for emblems and titles. Once I'd bought everything in BLOPS I had little to aim for other than winning individual games, and little incentive to change my style of play. MW2's emblems and titles made me change killstreaks, guns, perks and all sorts. Hell, I even earned two new titles in the last week, and loved it. Plus the killstreaks are more fun.

As for single player - I actually really liked BLOPS, but nothing beats a bit of Captain Price. As long as there are some memorable levels (and there always are), I'll be happy enough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 22:59 
Bad Girl

I said the same in the BLOPS thread. There just seems to be seething more satisfying about displaying something you've earned than showing how creative you are. Or aren't.

As much as I loved my ninja tag in BLOPS I'd knocked it up in an hours play and couldn't be arsed changing it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 23:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

The main reason i'm happy about MW3 coming out soon, is that it will split the two FPS camps again, and the current k/d obsessives on BF3 can decamp to MW3 :D
Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of lone wolf run and gun, and i'll happily do that in MW3 (assuming it is any good), but BF3 needs the people who don't "get it" to move on so that can thrive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 23:28 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
The main reason i'm happy about MW3 coming out soon, is that it will split the two FPS camps again, and the current k/d obsessives on BF3 can decamp to MW3 :D
Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of lone wolf run and gun, and i'll happily do that in MW3 (assuming it is any good), but BF3 needs the people who don't "get it" to move on so that can thrive.

Although BF3 having TDM servers means this isn't as bad as previous iterations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 23:57 
Can you dig it?

I'll probably buy this while it's still new, and try and join in with some multiplayer gaming.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 0:18 
Excellent Member

myp it wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I am finding TDM on Battlefield to be a bit shit. The spawn points are the worst I have ever experienced (since Blops anyway)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:00 
UltraMod

Terrypantsman wrote:
myp it wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I am finding TDM on Battlefield to be a bit shit. The spawn points are the worst I have ever experienced (since Blops anyway)

No, you miss my point. It means all the players interested in K/D ratios are playing that mode instead. I'm sticking to Conquest and Rush.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:12 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:

You can happily play team objective games with communication in Modern Warfare, and thrive... especially with the altered killstreak rewards now.

I think I remember itsallwater coming top in a game of Domination despite not killing a single person.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:56 
Excellent Member

@ myp it

ah, yes I agree - I think once MW3 comes out battlefield should calm down to more team play.

And Rush and conquest are the only modes worth playing.

I also think BF3 fucked up by having Gun unlocks associated with kill count. It just encourages solo play.

I have seen far less first aid dudes and medics actually heal people in this than BC2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:09 

Yep, no fucker is reviving anymore, and good luck getting any ammo when you run out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:09 

Hang on, this is the MW3 thread. *punches self*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:26 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

WTB wrote:

Perhaps you could make an unofficial topic and have the cross chat in there ? :D

Anyway - back on topic IGN livestreamed a lot of MW3 stuff earlier this week

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/11/02/mod ... ctid=69474

Theres lots of single player and multiplayer stuff mixed up in there and it looks good !

Jump to around the 18 minute mark to get an idea of some multiplayer - and just realized thats only part 1 - there seems to be hours of it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:41 
Excellently Membered

Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

You can happily play team objective games with communication in Modern Warfare, and thrive... especially with the altered killstreak rewards now.

I think I remember itsallwater coming top in a game of Domination despite not killing a single person.

oi! I kill people some times! :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:57 
Rude Belittler

WTB wrote:
They have, actually. HA!
It's still a one hit kill, they've just taken out Commando. So you can't teleport 5 metres to stab me, now you just have to ignore the three round burst I've just put into your crotch and stab me.

I hate the knife, if you round the corner and come face to face with an enemy, whoever presses the knife button first wins, even if the other guy is in the process of filling you full of lead.

And they've included the tactical knife thingy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:03 
Excellently Membered

zaphod79 wrote:
WTB wrote:

Perhaps you could make an unofficial topic and have the cross chat in there ? :D

Anyway - back on topic IGN livestreamed a lot of MW3 stuff earlier this week

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/11/02/mod ... ctid=69474

Theres lots of single player and multiplayer stuff mixed up in there and it looks good !

Jump to around the 18 minute mark to get an idea of some multiplayer - and just realized thats only part 1 - there seems to be hours of it

Looks like the added team aspects isn't adding much. Checking the feed above everyone is all over the map with little direction. But to be honest that is what I like about COD. Fast paced madness, I don't have time to consider what everyone else is doing at every respawn. However this doesn't look much better than a map pack for MW2 at the moment. I'll probably get this at some point but after watching I think I can wait (a little while anyway).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 14:53 
8-Bit Champion

itsallwater wrote:
Looks like the added team aspects isn't adding much. Checking the feed above everyone is all over the map with little direction. But to be honest that is what I like about COD. Fast paced madness, I don't have time to consider what everyone else is doing at every respawn. However this doesn't look much better than a map pack for MW2 at the moment. I'll probably get this at some point but after watching I think I can wait (a little while anyway).

I've watched quite a bit of this and it really does look like MW2.5 rather than 3 , the two new game modes are interesting but i doubt they will make that much difference and the look / feel / perks / (deathstreaks) look so much more like MW2 than anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:57 
8-Bit Champion

Okay - first 'release day price'

Bestbuy £29.99

Image linked from hotukdeals : http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270 ... h/mod3.jpg

Only on Tuesday - i'd expect details from the supermarkets to start to come out over the weekend and on Monday

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 13:48 
Ready for action

There's a very good chance that i'll have this tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 14:44 
Gilly wrote:

how?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 15:42 
8-Bit Champion

Gilly wrote:

If so i'd suggest not playing it online

Twitter post from the head of Xbox policy enforcement (Stepto)

http://twitter.com/#!/stepto

Quote:
Stepto Stephen Toulouse
clarification: dblchk'd with Activision. Mw3 pre-release play not authorized. So pls be patient. Playing early may impact your account!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 15:50 
Ready for action

A shop selling it early. What sort of action would ms take when there could be people buying it without knowing it wasn't released yet, it getting it delivered early and not knowing that technically its not out til the next day?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 15:52 
8-Bit Champion

Gilly wrote:
A shop selling it early. What sort of action would ms take when there could be people buying it without knowing it wasn't released yet, it getting it delivered early and not knowing that technically its not out til the next day?

I have no idea - and for all the previous games they have always said if the shop broke release date then thats the shops problem - do what you want - however for this one they are saying something different.

Its really up to you but if i had it and read that i would be playing single player offline only.

** Edit ** I'm sure i've seen stuff posted online about 'stolen' copies and it wouldnt suprise me if there are already copies on the web somewhere and thats what they will focus on - i simply dont know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 15:52 

Complete bullshit. Why would Activision have anything to do with telling MS who they can and cannot ban from Xbox Live? If you buy it fair and square, you're allowed to play it. It has always been the case. It was the case with Halo Reach last year, MW2 the year before, Gears 2, etc. Journos have the game now and they're playing it online. Ignore that tweet - it's a lie intended to scare people into waiting until launch day so Activision can count as many single-day sales as possible in their willy-waving contest with EA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 15:55 

Plus, all it says is "may impact your account". The worst Activision could do is reset your XP on release day or whatever. It would never be more serious than that. But as I say, the journalists are playing it and probably have been for a few days now. There's no way of telling who is a journo and who bought the game or even who has downloaded the fucker. You'll be absolutely fine, Gilly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 16:00 
8-Bit Champion

There are a number of websites with various info about it today - my suggestion is check back in later today (America is only just waking up so this is mainly stuff from 'overnight')

geek.com says if you have it play it - no problems

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/mode ... e-2011114/

(also mentions some of these early copies are going for $200 on ebay / craigslist)

Digitalspy copies the tweet and says that he originally said if the streetdate was broken then go ahead and play but changed his message :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news ... osoft.html

Same from the inquirer

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/bof ... -xbox-live

Quote:
Playing CoD MW3 early could get you banned from Xbox Live
Even a legitimate copy

BE WARNED that if you have managed to get hold of a copy of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 you could be banned from Xbox Live by playing early.

The game is due out next Tuesday but it appears that copies have been on sale early at Kmart, according to Joystiq. Even if you've bought the disc legitimately, trying to play the game early could get you banned from Xbox Live.

Stephen Toulouse, director of policy and enforcement at Xbox Live tweeted, "For those asking about MW3 pre-release play: If your copy is legit and obtained legitly, have fun. It's a great game."

So it all seemed fine, but then Toulouse tweeted a few hours later, "clarification: dblchk'd with Activision. Mw3 pre-release play not authorized. So pls be patient. Playing early may impact your account!"

If you have managed to get a copy, then you might want to think twice before placing the disc into your Xbox 360 before next Tuesday. µ

Vg247

http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/04/microso ... -live-ban/

Quote:
Microsoft: Early MW3 playing “may” risk Xbox Live ban

Got a copy of Modern Warfare 3 early? Is it for Xbox 360? Online-connected? Protip: probably best not to play it until next week at least.

Director of Policy and Enforcement for Xbox Live, Stephen Tolouse, has said anyone playing it before its been authorised for full play by Activision may end up risking a ban.

He said: “clarification: dblchk’d with Activision. Mw3 pre-release play not authorized. So pls be patient. Playing early may impact your account!”

It comes hours after he said that if anyone started playing the game, as long as it was a legit copy, was fair game.

Tweet went like this: “For those asking about MW3 pre-release play: If your copy is legit and obtained legitly, have fun. It’s a great game.”

Probably best to avoid going online with it until at least Monday. For those who haven’t come into possession as yet, it’s out on PS3, 360, PC and Wii on Tuesday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 16:04 
Paws for thought

Activision... All soft and fluffy, aren't they.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 16:07 
8-Bit Champion

Mr Dave wrote:
Activision... All soft and fluffy, C**TS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER aren't they

FTFY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 16:34 

As I've said, EVERYTHING all of those sources are saying is completely moot because journalists are playing it right now as we speak. Activision and Microsoft have absolutely NO WAY of knowing who is playing a PR copy and who is playing a "bought early" or even a pirated copy. Games journalists don't have their gamertags registered with Activision. You get sent a copy of the game by the relevant PR company prior to release. The journos have their copies. I know this for a fact. There's naff all Activision can do, and they're just trying to scare people into waiting. As for the various websites reporting it, they want hits, CoD news always delivers, simple as that. I can guarantee that Patrick Garrett of VG247 knows for a fact what I've said above. In fact, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have his own fucking copy already.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 17:27 
Paws for thought

WTB wrote:
Activision and Microsoft have absolutely NO WAY of knowing who is playing a PR copy and who is playing a "bought early" or even a pirated copy.

Bollocks there isn't.

They control what gets sent out. If they want a differentiator, they can put one there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 18:36 

Uh, they can't!

All you get is the same disk everyone else gets, but in a shoddier box. They can't tell one copy from t'other. As far as I'm aware, there are no individual identifiers built into any Xbox 360 disks. That would take effort. They're all identical copies. Maybe next gen we'll all get serial codes or something, but it was an oversight this generation.

I'm not saying they couldn't do it, but I am saying they don't.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 18:59 
8-Bit Champion

zaphod79 wrote:
(also mentions some of these early copies are going for $200 on ebay / craigslist)

Change that to $1725

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1211626p1.html

**note link contains some game spoilers (not copied below) **

Quote:
A leaked copy of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has been sold on eBay for $1,725.

Unauthorized copies of the game were mistakenly released into the wild this week, when a retailer placed the game on sale. MW3 is not due to be officially released until November 8th.

One copy of the game was placed on eBay and has been picked up for nearly 29 times the retail price of the game. It received a total of 88 bids.

But early play may carry an additional price. Xbox Live's Director of Policy and Enforcement for Stephen Tolouse warned that playing the game online pre-release could result in a ban. He tweeted, "Pre-release play not authorized. Please be patient. Playing early may impact your account!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 19:12 
Sleepyhead

WTB wrote:
Uh, they can't!

All you get is the same disk everyone else gets, but in a shoddier box. They can't tell one copy from t'other. As far as I'm aware, there are no individual identifiers built into any Xbox 360 disks. That would take effort. They're all identical copies. Maybe next gen we'll all get serial codes or something, but it was an oversight this generation.

I'm not saying they couldn't do it, but I am saying they don't.

It'd be possible by making a supplied Gamertag be a prerequisite of getting a review copy.

Then just ban anyone playing before the release date unless they're on the Safe List.

I don't think they have done that, but it's a very easy way to keep track.

Reply to topic  [ 560 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next