All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Elite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 
Terrible Human Being

Cobracure wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Zio wrote:
It's shaping up, basically. The upcoming 1.3 update looks like it's going to be quite a big improvement - they're meant to be completely overhauling the currently quite barebones mission system and they're adding a drone system to improve mining, cargo scooping and player-to-player cargo and fuel transfers.

This is the nub of it for me, by all accounts there might be a 'proper game' worth playing a few more content patches down the line.

Certainly everyone who bought the game from my circle of gamer friends (and there were a few of them) have stopped playing it completely, with the intention of maybe returning in the future.

Any offline single player version coming yet?

It's never going to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 15:21 

Yeah, I would rule out single-player offline ever happening. The single-player online mode works well though if you don't want encounters with other players and Frontier have stated they'd make the server code public domain if they ever did shut it down. Whether or not you trust them to keep that promise is another matter of course.

I'm currently buzzing round Imperial space trying to get the necessary ranking to be able to buy an Imperial Clipper. I've got just about enough cash now I reckon if I trade in my Vulture.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 18:51 

I exchanged my Asp for a Type-7, and did one tour of the route I linked above, during which I was able to upgrade to the Clipper.

Now I have bought a Vulture and I am wondering what I should do with it. It is quite tricky to kit out, because it has very little power even with the A power plant. I ended up fitting class 3 thrusters even though it has room for class 4. This let me fit the best shield, a class 3 beam laser and a gimbaled class 3 cannon. Should be able to kick some serious behind with that.

I am wondering about thrusters in general. The ones I have now have the "optimal mass" exactly at what my ship's total mass is, even though they are a class below what they are supposed to be.

Edit: I completely misread what you said about trading in your Vulture. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 23:27 

Heh, I equipped my Vulture in much the same way, including going for Class 3 Thrusters. The only main difference is I have a fixed Class 3 Plasma Accelerator instead of a cannon, although to be honest I think I may ditch that as it's a tricky shit to use against anything other than really big ships, like Anacondas and Pythons. The Vulture is an amazing ship in combat though. In a one-on-one fight, an NPC Anaconda has no chance against it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 23:33 

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 16:36 
Terrible Human Being

Cobracure wrote:

Yeah you are right, but it is staggering how Android games are developing. I'm playing Asphalt 8 on an Android emulator and its like a Need for Speed Most Wanted from 2005. Yes you might say, that's 10 years ago, but Freelancer was on the PC (and my favourite game from 2003) so who knows?

Anyway, this thread is about Elite, so, looks like I wont be playing this one ever. Ah well. >:|

This speculative but from the point of view of someone who knows one way to do it write up of how the galaxy works is quite fun http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/ ... ne_around/

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:44 

For those still interested, the Mac version is released later today (12th May). I tried the initial Mac beta and it was absolutely a resource hog as suggested with those early specs, but I've just been playing the latest beta and it's vastly improved. Admittedly my Mac isn't a particular slouch - it's the Early 2013 MacBook Pro 15-inch, with 8GB RAM and discrete Nvidia GT 650M graphics, but I can set it to 1440x900 resolution, graphics to the High preset and it runs steadily between 50-60 fps. It's very, very playable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 13:32 

Rather lengthy but interesting video about how the new Power Play expansion is a step in a direction that is completely different from what was originally presented by Frontier Developments:

I find it baffling that Frontier has spent valuable time and resources implementing game design which has obviously been lifted directly from free2play and subscription based games where time sinks and grind/pay-to-avoid mechanics make perfect sense from a monetizing point of view, in a game that is neither - and that Frontier has promised never will be.

I certainly have no interest in spending any time on this grind fest, and I think I will just ignore the whole thing. Hopefully Frontier will at some point get around to actually injecting a bit of life into the galaxy, not to mention implementing the promised expansions that I have already paid for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 14:40 
Hello Hello Hello

That's a very polite 'rant' :)

Seems that the game is going in exactly the opposite direction from that which it needs to, certainly insofar as getting me interested enough to give it a go is concerned.

Sounds like the equivalent of WoW dailies, which were always an aspect of the game I had no love for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 21:44 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:09 
I forgot about this - how vain

Zio wrote:
For those still interested, the Mac version is released later today (12th May). I tried the initial Mac beta and it was absolutely a resource hog as suggested with those early specs, but I've just been playing the latest beta and it's vastly improved. Admittedly my Mac isn't a particular slouch - it's the Early 2013 MacBook Pro 15-inch, with 8GB RAM and discrete Nvidia GT 650M graphics, but I can set it to 1440x900 resolution, graphics to the High preset and it runs steadily between 50-60 fps. It's very, very playable.

Thanks, I only noticed this recently. Depressingly my mac is too old. In addition the system requirements states it doesn't work on case sensitive filesystems on mac. Which is mindboggling stupid.

Guess I'm going to have to wait for the PS4 version (or break for a Xbox One, which seems a bit silly...).

This powerplay stuff sounds worrying though (not watched the video yet though).

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 18:13 

Powerplay is entirely optional, you don't have to take part. It does seem pretty shit and pointless though... the time and money could definitely have been better used.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I will have a read through

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16