Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 20:32 
Chinny chin chin

metalangel wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

(above) Elite

Beeb owners would have probably played it on the keyboard. It might have supported a analogue stick. The Beeb had no digital joystick port which is a pain.

I found a boxed analogue BBC joystick recently and (a) its crap and (b) not many games support it.

Post subject: Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 20:32 
Isn't that lovely?

metalangel wrote:
Securing a certain pledge only happens when you've typed in your card details and address, not when you chose which tier you wanted.

Which is why it said 6 £20 ones left when I clicked on it, 5 left while I was typing everything in, and by the time I got to Submit SORRY THIS PLEDGE LEVEL IS SOLD OUT.

£25 then. Submit it. Back to the main page. Suddenly there's 1 £20 left again.

CUNT.

You can manage your account to 20 up until midnight uk time

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 20:37 
Honey Boo Boo

Meh, 500 credits extra.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 20:46 

Grim... wrote:
I jammed to "go" button down for ages to see what happened when you broke light speed. Nothing, it turns out :(

Future echoes, man.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 20:52 
EvilTrousers

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Beeb owners would have probably played it on the keyboard. It might have supported a analogue stick. The Beeb had no digital joystick port which is a pain.

I found a boxed analogue BBC joystick recently and (a) its crap and (b) not many games support it.

I used keys on my BBC for ages then tried a Quickshot joystick. It was a fucking abomination - the keys were miles easier to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 21:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I always preferred keyboard control for Elite.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 21:41 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:

:this: I wouldn't have even considered playing it on a joystick. Mind you, I played everything on keyboards till consoles and the Amiga came along.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:36 
Isn't that lovely?

Quote:
£1,578,166

Not bad!

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 13:41 

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

:this: I wouldn't have even considered playing it on a joystick. Mind you, I played everything on keyboards till consoles and the Amiga came along.

Same here.

Braben & Bell managed to get Elite on to the NES (and it's a terrific port BTW), but even then the controls are a bit of a fudge considering you're limited to a NES pad.

Elite and it's 2 sequels always had relatively complex controls, just the experience as a whole was always something fairly simple to get to grips with, unlike the likes of the X games.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 14:29 
PC Gamer

chinnyhill10 wrote:

I'm absolutely certain I had a digital joystick for my BBC B. in fact, I used 2 joysticks for Elite - a digital one for combat and general navigation, then I'd unplug it and plug an analogue one in for docking.

Post subject: Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 16:18 
baron of techno

Rodafowa wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I'm absolutely certain I had a digital joystick for my BBC B. in fact, I used 2 joysticks for Elite - a digital one for combat and general navigation, then I'd unplug it and plug an analogue one in for docking.

I definitely used a digital joystick to play it. White with red buttons. Think they were rare though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 16:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Malc wrote:
Quote:
£1,578,166

Not bad!

Malc

Until you compare it to Star Citizen. That's a surprise to me, because I thought everyone loved Elite. Did it exist in the US?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:52 
STOP BEING SO SHIT

Grim... wrote:
Malc wrote:
Quote:
£1,578,166

Not bad!

Malc

Until you compare it to Star Citizen. That's a surprise to me, because I thought everyone loved Elite. Did it exist in the US?

I'm pretty sure the majority of the pledges for this Kickstarter were from the UK. There's a big following for Elite in Eastern Europe, too, and I know the Aussies know the game, so I'd assume there's a fair few pledges from those types too.

It did come out on the US as far as I'm aware (The NES version for sure, and I would assume the C64) but you know 'Merkins... They wouldn't know a good game if it shat in their face. It probably didn't help that there was that whole videogame crash over there. That didn't really happen in the UK. By the time the 2600 was failing, we were all starting to buy C64s and Speccys.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 18:15 
and!

Original versions of Elite should be played on keys, definitely. I reckon it was okay playing on a control pad because that's not all that different from keyboard, in a way. Or at least not a shit as a Cheetah, or something. The menu strip interface on the NES was fine, I thought. The big problem I found with the othewise sublime Archimedes version was the fact that you has to play on mouse or stupid proprietry joystick.

Apparently you can run it on the Raspberry Pi with the Pi RISCOS and an Archie emulator. As a welcome back thing for students I'm teaching on Monday I'm going to let them have a go on it. Will they be interested, or will they just say 'it's just blocks' in the same way idiots said Elite was 'all lines' back in the day? Alternatively, they might just humour the nutcase computer guy do his thing whilst waiting for the programming lesson.

Also, that video posted by Dimrill was actually quite emotional. Anacondas! Attacked by Cobra Mk IIIs! This is so great. Odd that they didn't manage to get me that excited before the kickstarter finished.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 18:37 
Honey Boo Boo

Mentski wrote:
It did come out on the US as far as I'm aware (The NES version for sure, and I would assume the C64) but you know 'Merkins... They wouldn't know a good game if it shat in their face. It probably didn't help that there was that whole videogame crash over there. That didn't really happen in the UK. By the time the 2600 was failing, we were all starting to buy C64s and Speccys.

*bites*

I had a friend who, along with his dad and brother, were constantly on BBSes throughout the late 80s and 90s. My parents also had friends with two sons. They all yarred mercilessly and through them I think there were very few DOS games that I didn't play or watch them play at some point or other. However, I never heard about Elite until I saw Frontier in the second issue of PC Gamer circa 1993, and I didn't actually play it until 1998.

The Wing Commander series was far bigger and so most people over there knew and loved Privateer as their space trading game. They're interesting in comparison: Frontier has the huge universe with full control of your ship and lots of customization while Privateer has far nicer presentation and story and arguably better combat.

The video game crash would not be much of if any influence as it didn't affect home computers - in fact, they benefited from it. The C64 was beloved over there (whereas the Spectrum was practically unknown and was not a success, likewise the Amiga) and computer gaming development carried on just fine while all the video game makers shriveled up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 18:58 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
I definitely used a digital joystick to play it. White with red buttons. Think they were rare though.

Would have been. The Beeb uses a PC analogue style connector and just like the early days of PC gaming, analogue sticks ruled the roost. Have never tried an actual PC stick on my Master for fear it might explode.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:02 
Chinny chin chin

Mentski wrote:
I'm pretty sure the majority of the pledges for this Kickstarter were from the UK. There's a big following for Elite in Eastern Europe, too, and I know the Aussies know the game, so I'd assume there's a fair few pledges from those types too.

It'll be all the places the big 3 UK 8 bits were big. Forget the Beeb, it sold a third of what the CPC did and didn't export well. It'll be where people played it on Speccys, C64 or CPC's. And of course later the Amiga and ST (which again sold into the same markets).

So it will be Europe, Scandinavia, Australia/NZ, and lots of ex-comminist countries thanks to the proliferation of Spectrum clones and pirated games. Basically the places you'd expect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 

Presumably it's lack of success in the US would be why all the console ports (except the NES) version got canned. I'm positive I read about a SNES version in production in the early 90's and Ian Bell's website has test versions of the Megadrive/Genesis and Gameboy versions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:11 
Skillmeister

Backers should've received a link to the website in order to reserve your Commander name. Just sayin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 
Comfortably Dumb

Dimrill wrote:
Backers should've received a link to the website in order to reserve your Commander name. Just sayin.

Cheers, Dimrill. I saw the email, but was in no rush to do anything with it. 'Devilman' goes quite quickly on some sites, so at least I have it reserved now :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:31 

As I understand the page, you are submitting a name now, but they will be processed in the order of pledging.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 21:59 
Decapodian

I was in pretty early, so hopefully Commander Zoidberg will be mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:10 
Sleepyhead

I reserved all your names.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 0:58 
Skillmeister

Some groin trembling stuff in the latest newsletter.

Cities!
http://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... f.jpg.html

Sidewinder!
http://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 7.png.html

HNNGH!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:54 

Yeah, pretty awesome stuff. Can't wait to see some proper renders of what the universe is going to look like, but that's probably still far off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 20:57 
Skillmeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:44 

Has anyone received the latest newsletter yet? Some of the ideas they're touting for this game are incredible, enough so that I'm worried about the possible Molyneux-effect, but Braben's generally delivered the goods in the past.

Highlights for me include visible wear and tear to player ships, so the longer you hold on to a ship and the more scrapes you get into, the more dings and dents and scratches in the paintwork your ship picks up, letting other players see just how tough a life you've put your ship through. There's also talk about the emergency personal life support systems they're planning on implementing and some stuff about Hyperspace is meant to work in this game. There's talk of how mis-jumps can take you to previously hidden places and systems and so on. You can also piggy-back through someone else's hyperspace jump, allowing groups of players to travel together, but I suppose also allowing for rescues. Who doesn't remember fruitlessly sending out distress calls in Frontier for help that will never come? With this game, other players potentially could come to your rescue.

All in all, it sounds fucking amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 13:05 
Skillmeister

Every newsletter makes me more and more excited. Trying not to froth. So hard right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 13:57 

Dimrill wrote:
Every newsletter makes me more and more excited. Trying not to froth. So hard right now.

:this: x eleventy-billion.

I'm sure there'll be a certain level of Molyneux to it all, but I'm sure they could do quite a lot with 1.5million!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 20:24 
Skillmeister

Hnnnnnghh.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 20:57 
Excellently Membered

I just want to start playing. I don't even care anymore if its bork

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 23:05 
Unpossible!

Bork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:09 

I'm so excited about this game I'm in serious danger of becoming incontinent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:37 
Excellently Membered

DavPaz wrote:
Bork

I try to be creative.. some times it works others not so.

Bork and Bindy o/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 
UltraMod

itsallwater wrote:
Bork and Bindy o/

The Bollywood version.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:42 
Excellently Membered

SilentElk wrote:
itsallwater wrote:
Bork and Bindy o/

The Bollywood version.

Oh yeah! Bring it to masses. Now just need a Bollywood version of Alf and I'm golden.... BALF?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:51 
Excellent Member

A disco Bollywood version of 70's Buck Rogers would also be ace. Think about it.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 14:20 
UltraMod

I've decided I'm more excited about Star Citizen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 17:58 
Skillmeister

HHNHNNNNGH! Gods' cocks...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 22:37 
Excellent Member

I hope it's everything Space Rangers 2 was, and more!

Space Rangers 2 was the best.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:16 

Dimrill - I wasn't able to translate your comment. Did you think it good or bad? :nerd:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:51 
Worst

Cobracure wrote:
Dimrill - I wasn't able to translate your comment. Did you think it good or bad? :nerd:

I think 'HHNHNNNNGH!' is his arousal sound.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 16:19 
Skillmeister

yes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 17:45 
Excellent Member

The big question is - how many game-breaking bugs will it be released with? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:38 

Wasn't First Encounters bugs meant to be largely the fault of Gametek, the publisher? My understanding of it was that the company were going bust, so decided to hastily chuck out the very latest version of the game Frontier had sent them as a retail product, despite the game still being in the fairly early beta stages. Braben took the company to court over it. I certainly remember being surprised when I saw it on store shelves for sale as I'd been looking forward to the game being released but wasn't expecting it to come out anything like as early as it did.

The initial release barely worked at all and had to be very quickly patched just to get it to load on many PCs. There are 3rd party versions of the game now (I used to play one called JFFE), which have fixed a great number of other bugs with the game - it's possible to get the Thargoid ship now for instance. There's little point in it, since it's so massively overpowered that nothing else in the game will so much as scratch it's paintwork, but you can get it now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 
Chinny chin chin

Zio wrote:
The initial release barely worked at all and had to be very quickly patched just to get it to load on many PCs. There are 3rd party versions of the game now (I used to play one called JFFE), which have fixed a great number of other bugs with the game - it's possible to get the Thargoid ship now for instance. There's little point in it, since it's so massively overpowered that nothing else in the game will so much as scratch it's paintwork, but you can get it now.

It demanded impossible amounts of base memory to get it working and even that was without sound. The patch fixed that but it was still one of the tightest games I had.

What a pain in the backside base memory and boot floppies were. It's a marvel anyone wanted to play games on PC's at all!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:08 
Skillmeister

The latest newsletter about the procedurally generated space stations was great. Trying to keep on top of my excitement for this game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 

Tasty new video rendered using the game engine!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And suddenly I'm very interested in Elite.

I wonder how that would look in actual gameplay, though (probably a lot like a "Game Over" screen for me).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:08 

Apparently that is actual gameplay.

Hnnngh.

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next