Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dishono(u)red
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 18:11 
Hello Hello Hello

It's also worth noting that this game runs very well on even a modestly specced PC, I'm currently installing it on Mrs AE's old laptop to see if that can handle it too as an extra frame of reference system-spec wise. (It was a high-end Sony Vaio when it was new, but it's cracking on a bit now and only has a Core Duo CPU (2.3GHz IIRC), 3GB system RAM, with a 4650M GPU, with 512MB of RAM. If that can run it nicely I'd say you could run Dishonored on anything.)

I realise Dishonored has had a fair amount of bummage in this thread, but not enough IMO, it's absolutely on my top ten games list of this generation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 19:18 
Hello Hello Hello

Laptop ran it fine at 720p with all settings on HIGH and lightshafts turned on and V-SYNC turned off. Wouldn't say it was a silky-smooth 60FPS but certainly up in that sort of range, framerate held up in combat too.

Doubtless it'd be possible to tweak various settings to get the exact required experience, but in essence, Dishonored is perfectly playable on a four year old laptop (albeit one that was pretty high end when it was new) - so considering Dishonored is now £3.99, there's really no excuse to miss it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 19:53 
Hibernating Druid

Gave this a go over a couple of evenings. Enjoyed it for a while then it felt dull.
I imagine its a problem with me and gaming in general lately.
Not much time and patience for games these days, prefer quick blast arcadey stuff if anything.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 20:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Zardoz wrote:
Gave this a go over a couple of evenings. Enjoyed it for a while then it felt dull.
I imagine its a problem with me and gaming in general lately.
Not much time and patience for games these days, prefer quick blast arcadey stuff if anything.

I can understand that but then again I felt Dishonored fitted that mould perfectly, I binned off WoW because I just don't have the time or inclination to play MMOs any more (the same reason I sort of 'looked at' EvE and then left it alone), but Dishonored is a great game to just play in 30-60 minute sessions I found.

I fell out with Bioshock Infinite because it wouldn't let me save when I wanted to, effectively forcing me to play past my preferred stop point (plus it was a bit shit too), but Dishonored has manual saves, auto saves and also a quicksave slot, so pretty much any time slot that you can assign to it is worthwhile.

If you've fallen out with 'normal' games pretty much full stop then fair enough (I remember I went through a phase a few years ago where MAME was about all I played games on for a few months), try Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed, that's a nice arcadey racer with a modern lick of paint!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 21:50 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, I'm in a trough gaming wise. Taken out the Blockbuster offer of 10 quid for 1 game until end of school hols with unlimited swaps so just checking bits out while I can. If it doesn't grab me I swap it.

Anyhow, enough derailing, sorry.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 23:41 
Paws for thought

Zardoz wrote:
Yeah, I'm in a trough gaming wise. Taken out the Blockbuster offer of 10 quid for 1 game until end of school hols with unlimited swaps so just checking bits out while I can. If it doesn't grab me I swap it.

Anyhow, enough derailing, sorry.

That's mainly as you're not playing on Dimrills plank.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 23:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I want to be on Dimrill's plank.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 18:46 
Hello Hello Hello

MORE DLC, AND IT LOOKS ACE!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... hes-review

I'm having to reinstall the game as I cleared it off to make some room on my SSD, reinstalling now.

Not sure if this DLC is actually available yet.....

EDIT - Available in the Steam Store now, FINISH REINSTALLING YOU BASTARD THING, CURSE MY 16MEG ADSL!

I knew I should have upgraded to VDSL (we don't have no fucking fibre over here).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 18:52 
SavyGamer

Save a couple of quid getting it here instead of steam
http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/08/13/disho ... s-pc-6-40/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 19:13 
Bad Girl

Ooh, out on Xbox yet?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 20:02 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
Save a couple of quid getting it here instead of steam
http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/08/13/disho ... s-pc-6-40/

Cheers Lewie but I have to register and stuff to be able to purchase from there, and I'm too impatient!

It's only a difference of £1.60 anyway, the extra time I'll get playing the new DLC is more important to me :hat:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 20:31 

Saturnalian wrote:
Ooh, out on Xbox yet?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 22:56 
Hello Hello Hello

The only bad thing about more Dishonored DLC is that I know I'll finish it fairly sharpish and then I'll be forced to play shitter games.

Obviously there's still the towering majesty of BF3 for multiplayer shenanigans, but for single player japes, I'm hard pushed to think of a better game of the last 'generation' if you will.*

Borderlands 2 and DXHR were pretty damn awesome, Max Payne 3 burned incredibly brightly but was very much a single playthrough and then leave it sort of affair, there was GTA4 too of course, but Dishonored is definitely right up there with the best of the best.

The Witches Dishonored DLC gets off to a very strong start, which is fine form considering it's the 're-tread' level, albeit with a very different take on Coldridge Prison. Gonna do low chaos first, and then go back and smash it all up in high chaos. (Same as I did for the main campaign and the first DLC.)

In an excellent little touch, it gives you the choice of starting the Witches DLC with either your low chaos or high chaos 'Daud build' from The Knife of Dunwall DLC, (I guess it affects the gameworld too), or to start the Witches DLC as a whole new endeavour. (Since the Witches DLC is played as Daud as well.)

* Admittedly I did spend some three years of the current gen playing WoW, but I've got games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim in my catalogue, played them both for a reasonable amount of time, and they really did very little for me. Dishonored truly is a class apart.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 22:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Witches of Brigmore DLC low chaos playthrough finish! Needless to say I'm going to jump straight back in and do high chaos (loading in my high chaos save from The Knife Of Dunwall DLC, for maximum high chaos).

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It's actually quite cleverly done, in that the Daud DLC basically runs alongside the main Corvo campaign in chronological terms, so that the Witches DLC ends with Corvo choosing to kill or spare you (effectively mirroring the bit in the main campaign where you come across Daud playing as Corvo), even though he doesn't know you've just saved Emily. I did low chaos on this playthrough so he spared me, I suspect of course that he'll kill me on high chaos.

The witches themselves are some nasty ass types, there's one bit where you find an overseer who's been force-fed the remains of his dead friend to the point of insanity, the little journal that the witch has kept next to him says it all, and he is indeed a gibbering wreck when you talk to him - renouncing anything and everything, it's saying something when you feel sorry for an overseer.

Also, loved the new 'pull' power, which is sort of like a reverse blink in that you pull things to you rather than jumping to them (Level 2 allows you to do people and animals as well as objects), although a quick blink>pull combo of course can cover a massive distance in a dizzyingly quick slice of time. (And if you chuck a bend time in there as well, it's really rude.)

Dishonored + DLC is the one of the best overall videogame experiences ever, Top Ten Lifetime entry, I'd say.

Attachment:
eat.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 21:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Well that's all done now, a low and high chaos playthrough of the entire game - main campaign, DLC one and DLC two. (And it's not quite as straightforward as that, I really have messed around with the game's mechanics to a quite stupid degree, saving and loading time and time again, trying multiple attempts to the same situation until I get the one I'm happy with.)

65 hours total playtime which in 'bangs for bucks' terms works out to an absolute bargain, but it's not a question of looking at the game in those terms, it's just been a glorious experience from start to finish, and the DLC has been genuinely worthwhile too. Having Corvo's story finish (one of three ways) and then moving to Daud for the DLC but in the same timeline was a design decision I wasn't too sure of to start with, but it works incredibly well.

The end of the second DLC is very binary, as befits the simple LOW and HIGH chaos choices, but it works for me. (And it's not just the outsider's commentary that changes.)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Low chaos - Corvo spares you. High chaos - Corvo kills you.

Sounds dead basic but having played out the entire game as Corvo in the main campaign, you know how trivial it is for him to kill you or not, so it works incredibly well when he makes his choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Ooooohhhh! Dishnored 2!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... d-tomorrow

I am going to be so all over this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:26 
Bad Girl

Should get its own thread for the hype train.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Fuck me, I spelled Dishonored wrong. How bad is that.

But yes, maybe a new thread would be appropriate, better wait for the official reveal though I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 13:09 

HYPE ACCELERATING

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 13:25 
Hello Hello Hello

My eulogising about the first game is well documented in the last couple of pages of this thread, it was just so damn good. (And I realise it got much well deserved bumming from many others earlier in the thread.)

I really do hope it's the same team who makes the sequel, and that they stay true to the 'feel' of the first game.

Dishonored would be up there in my all-time Top Ten games, I reckon. I only stopped playing it when I'd literally done everything there was to do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 21:16 
Gogmagog

Is this worth the £15 they want for it on PS4?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 21:19 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes.

I'd stick it somewhere in my Top Ten Games Of All Time list. The DLC is awesome too so if you can get some sort of GOTY edition, grab that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 21:24 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes.

I'd stick it somewhere in my Top Ten Games Of All Time list. The DLC is awesome too so if you can get some sort of GOTY edition, grab that.

Yeah. It says it is that so cool. Ta.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:29 
SavyGamer

Probably worth waiting until it's out. There's been a few examples of really bad ports of old games to the new consoles, and Bethesda/Arkane have said almost nothing about this new port. No technical specs released, no footage available, no confirmation about whether it was developed by Arkane in house, or farmed out to the lowest bidder.

In theory it should be an easy enough game to port over, but if they haven't dedicated enough resources to it, any port can end up being a shit port.

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't 60fps, but if it was surely they would have advertised that fact by now?

Either way it is a great game, but personally I'd want to know a little more about the quality of the port before handing my money over. If it's just "barely improved" rather than "actually worse" it'll still be worth playing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:16 
Hello Hello Hello

1080p/60FPS should be a shoe-in for the PS4 I'd have thought, I installed it on Mrs Hearthly's old laptop which has a Radeon 4850 with 512MB of RAM and even that could shunt it around pretty nicely at 720p. (Laptop RAM is 4GB, the GPU has its own 512MB of RAM.)

I take your point though, it is conceivable that they'll completely knob the port up so best to wait for some reviews.

TBH I didn't realise it wasn't already out, hence my unequivocal recommendation of it to Mail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:31 
Rude Belittler

It's alright. It's not a patch on Bioshock Infinite.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 18:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
It's alright. It's not a patch on Bioshock Infinite.

In some countries that sort of comment is punishable by death, and quite rightly so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 19:30 
SavyGamer

It is better than any of the Bioshocks (especially Infinite), and better than DXHR or nuThief.

Turns out my suspicions were correct, and it runs at 30fps on PS4/Xbox One.

Certainly not a case of the hardware not being capable of running it at 1080p/60fps, but they most likely wanted to do the port as cheaply as possible. More to just get it available on the same platforms that the sequel will be coming to than to actually deliver a definitive version of the game.

If you have a mid range gaming PC from the last 3/4 years, it will probably play better on that. A real missed opportunity, and I think the game deserves better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 19:55 
Gogmagog

Nnnñnnnng!

I shall wait for a review of it.

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 20:22 
SavyGamer

That is a shit article. Frame rate obviously matters. I'm not going to argue that all games need to be 60 fops, that would be madness, but it's pretty clear that this game only isn't because Bethesda cheaped out on the port.

Perception of framerate is also highly subjective, we all have different eyes and brains. For me it matters far more in 3d games with a fast moving camera. Especially first person games.

Totalbiscuit is a dick, and I'm not going to harass any developers about framerates, but I think it is a good idea to be an informed consumer, especially when so many publishers try to get away with all sorts of dodgy stuff. Bethesda are calling this game Definitive, but haven't even told anyone what they mean by definitive!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 0:52 
Rude Belittler

Dishonored was enjoyable enough... I didn't like some of its combat (the way the enemies could totally hit you through one another was bullshit) and the idea that you were a better person for essentially selling people into slavery or giving them to a creepy, rapey as fuck dude was better than killing them didn't sit well with me. Sure, they were horrible people, but you can hardly take the high ground over some of the shit that goes down. The first dude you deal with ends up as a weeper. killing him would have been a better fate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Well Corvo is quite a morally ambiguous character from the start so it works in that regard, plus he's like, a lethal assassin.

The DLC helps flesh out his story really well, especially the whole Daud <> Corvo thing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 21:41 
Gogmagog

This is pretty good so far. I am on the lam thanks to help from some people and seem pretty handy with a blade and pistol. The graphics are pretty enough and the sound is good. Good stuff so far.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
This is pretty good so far. I am on the lam thanks to help from some people and seem pretty handy with a blade and pistol. The graphics are pretty enough and the sound is good. Good stuff so far.

I hope you're not killing too many people!....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:30 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I hope you're not killing too many people!....

Define "too many". I am super assassin in the employ of terrorists and page to a demon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:52 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
Define "too many". I am super assassin in the employ of terrorists and page to a demon.

'Too many' in any given level will tip over your chaos rating to high, if more than 50% of the levels are completed at high chaos, then you'll get the high chaos ending when you finish the game, which is the 'bad' ending.

The game also changes depending on the chaos state, in high chaos there are more weepers, characters react differently to you, the weather is different, and so on.

Personally I don't see high chaos as intrinsically bad, my take on it is that it's really two games in one (I completed the game in low chaos first, and then started all over again and deliberately did high chaos).

By all means do a high chaos playthrough, but I'd suggest a low chaos playthrough is a worthy endeavour - and makes for a very different game too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:28 
Gogmagog

Thanks. I am about an hour in or so. I try really hard to not kill people. But it is pretty fun when you sneak up behind someone and non lethal them but their mate sees you and you block his sword attack and then POW! Pistol bullet in the kisser.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:45 
Rude Belittler

I'd just play it how you want, see what the results are. I killed a fair few people, but still got low chaos. I didn't kill any of the marks, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:15 
Paws for thought

I killed 0 peoples.

(I think I may have temoprarilY killed one, but I played it as being detected =failure)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 17:06 
SavyGamer

High chaos isn't "bad", it's the ending (and route to the ending) that reflects your playstyle.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 19:58 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
High chaos isn't "bad", it's the ending (and route to the ending) that reflects your playstyle.

I did put the 'bad' in apostrophes to indicate that, although I'd argue it is objectively bad as well :)

There's also the REALLY bad high chaos ending too :o

For reference for those who don't know:

Low chaos = Good ending
High chaos = Bad ending
High chaos with a final choice = Horrible ending

It only takes two playthroughs to see all three, as the two high chaos endings branch right at the end of the last level, so you can use a save/autosave to go back and see the alternative.

The DLCs have the low/high chaos thing going on too, and well worth seeing both endings IMO. (They only have two possible endings.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Definitive edition reviews are in, pretty lazy port by all accounts, 1080p@30FPS, running on PC 'high' settings.

Doesn't make the game any less awesome though I suppose, but I find it hard to believe the XBone/PS4 couldn't manage 60FPS if they'd put a bit of effort in.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... n-face-off

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 
Gogmagog

Pow! I run around the ground and BOOM now I'm in your face teleporting and KERBLAM catch that in your teeth oh no you cannot as you don't have a head. I use sleep darts until I run out then crack heads.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:48 
Gogmagog

BOOM! I'm a dog and I am behind you walking to heel. POW! I am a human and strangling you! Boom! I am a dog again.

Love it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 23:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Nice retrospective on Dishonored at Eurogamer has just gone up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... every-play

This game remains firmly as an entry in my 'best ten games ever list', and is one of those rare examples of a game where I only stopped playing when there was literally nothing left to do, having completed low and high chaos playthroughs of the main game and all DLCs, done every mission in the game, etc etc.

Very much looking forward to the sequel, which is tantalisingly close now!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 16:35 

Dishonored 2 is great. If you liked Dishonored, this is very much More Of That Sort Of Thing but With Some New Stuff Too and Some Old Wonky Bits Now With Less Wonk. It also features two characters with different powers, which further incentivises doing a High Chaos and a Low Chaos playthrough. I have a lot of game to go, but I have high hopes it can capture a perfect 5/7 score.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 18:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Unfortunately it's an absolute disaster zone on PC at the moment so I'm waiting for it to get patched up, it's already had one patch to address the worst of the clusterfuck but the developer openly admit it needs more work. (In its released state, mouse sensitivity changed with the framerate, if you can believe that.)

Once it's fixed I'll buy it, by which time it'll probably be half price too!

Very frustrating as I rank the original Dishonored as one of the finest games ever, but as I do not possess a PS4 or XBox One I will have to wait for them to fix the PC version. (Not that I'd want to take the game on with a pad anyway as I'm utterly hopeless in FPS games with a pad.)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... n-december

I quite liked the following comment in response to this from the developer:

Quote:
This is just the beginning though, as Arkane is aware that it has other technical issues to iron out for different rigs. "Our work on Dishonored 2 continues," the developer said. "Update 1.2 development is underway and will address a broader range of issues including performance and is estimated to be available in the next week."

Attachment:
workdh2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:25 
Hello Hello Hello

PC version is now up to patch 1.3 and has entered the realms of 'mostly working', but another patch is confirmed to be in the works, target release date later this month.

Who knows, maybe the game will be (a) Fully functional just in time for (b) The January sale!

It's come to something when you feel like buying the sequel to one of YOUR ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE GAMES EVER at launch is a bad idea, because it'll almost certainly have loads of technical issues that'll need ironing out first.

I had a quick go on the PS4 version when I was down at the board game night the other week, this was on a PS4 Pro, but it still ran at 30FPS and as expected I was fumbling around like a buffoon trying to control my character with a gamepad, plus the input lag was annoying, and I don't have a console anyway so I'll just wait for the PC version to get properly fixed.

You could make a case for running a year behind on games, by which time the GOTY edition (i.e. fully patched + all DLC) will be out for about half the cost of the original base game release.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 14:06 
Hello Hello Hello

STEAM FAIL.

£39.99 or £20, tough call.

I'll probably wait for the next patch before I play it though.

There is a single DVD in the box but it's basically just an activation code, it says words on the box to the effect of 'the game isn't in the box, you'll need to download it all through Steam, and have a Steam account'.

So a Steam game basically, for half the price Steam are selling it for.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-12-12 at 13.00.17.png

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-12-12 at 13.01.17.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 19:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Wow, that's how much of the game they managed to get on the disc :)

I'll take a look at it and see what the performance is like once I get to the first outdoor section (which is when it starts to tank a bit apparently), and take it from there.

I'm just looking at it as a cheap CD key really, (wasn't expecting any sort of meaningful game install on the disc), cheaper than the CD key sites even, without any extra layer of potential dodgy Russian dealings.

Attachment:
lurcho.JPG

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next