And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dishono(u)red
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 23:57 
Skillmeister

LewieP wrote:
it's the game Assassin's Creed thinks it is

What a load of rot. Assassin's Creed is about flowing platforming as much as killing.

While this game is good, I'm still waiting for it blow me away and transcend what I thought a thought of gaming thoughts would think about forever (c) Tom Shiteread.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 0:49 
SavyGamer

AC is a game about walking to a place, watching a cut scene, following a guy (but not too close), playing a tower defence minigame, collecting flags that are strewn all over the place, running up to a guy and pressing a button to trigger a cinematic where you kill him and then doing the same over and over again.

Dishonored is a superhero assassin simulator.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:15 
Skillmeister

LewieP wrote:
AC is a game about walking to a place, watching a cut scene,

Exactly the same here, except you watch rubbery characters intone exposition to you.

Quote:
playing a tower defence minigame

In the fourth iteration of, yes. And it was so appalling I doubt we'll see it again. I'll wait until Dishonored 4 to pass judgement on that.

Quote:
collecting flags that are strewn all over the place,

Hardly what the game "is about". By that logic Grand Theft Auto 4 was all about riding in a police car and taking down small gangs to a time limit.

Quote:
running up to a guy and pressing a button to trigger a cinematic where you kill him and then doing the same over and over again.

Well I've been playing this since yesterday at three, and the repetition of watching guards is wearing me too. I haven't actually killed my main targets myself yet, opting for indirect sneaky means to take them out. Instead of cinematics I've got rubbery faced exposition in their place. Pick your poison.

The only thing it shares with Assassin's Creed is there's killings afoot. Or is this the game the sentient being Arkanoid thinks about while eating yoghurt?

If you're going to spout hyperbole about game comparisons, it would make more sense to use the Hitman games, as this plays closer to them than anything else. Small sort-of open world levels with patrolling guards. Hiding bodies/unconscious victims. Making your escape to a pre-determined exit point. Distractions. Traps. Hidey holes. etc etc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 13:17 
Excellent Member

Dimrill wrote:
Or is this the game the sentient being Arkanoid thinks about while eating yoghurt?

What in fuck's name are you gibbering about?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 15:41 
Honey Boo Boo

Dimrill wrote:
Exactly the same here, except you watch rubbery characters intone exposition to you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 15:53 
Skillmeister

Funnily enough, it reminds me of Kingpin as much as Hitman. Except no weirdly undulating faces. This is the game the sentient being Kingpin looks at across the street while it's on the toilet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 22:40 
Skillmeister

This afternoon I spent five hours unpicking just one level. No kills, no alerts, on hard. Satisfying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 22:19 
Skillmeister

Finished! Good. Very good. Susan Sarandon! Brad Dourif! Carrie Fisher! Michael Madsen! who'd thoughted it.

The Bioshockyness of the graphics makes you believe this could sit in that same Universe. It'd be lovely if there was a circle of developers adding to the same world without taking possession of it. Like Lovecraft & friends did with the Elder Gods. Of course, litigation and corporate suits would mean that could never happen.

Now to go back and see if I can ghost the early levels. I found the rhythm at the party level, so all missions after that I managed to ghost and not kill all the way to the end.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 22:36 

Dimrill wrote:
The Bioshockyness of the graphics

Yes! I can't put my finger on why, but yes. It's the water effects, I think, and the yellow highlight on pick-upable objects. That, and the strong sense of place (albeit a different place) -- and the whiff of steam punk.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 23:48 
SavyGamer

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
The Bioshockyness of the graphics

Yes! I can't put my finger on why, but yes. It's the water effects, I think, and the yellow highlight on pick-upable objects. That, and the strong sense of place (albeit a different place) -- and the whiff of steam punk.

The texturing on lots of the non-interactive objects, like mechanical stuff stuck to the walls in some places, is really similar too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:15 
Skillmeister

Oh for fuck's sake. Every achievement needs to be done in one complete run-through. Mission Select doesn't unlock them. Bad programmers. Bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 
Honey Boo Boo

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

All the previews and concept art reminded me of Half-Life 2, but then the guy who designed City 17 was in charge of the Dishono(u)red art team.

Dimrill wrote:
Oh for fuck's sake. Every achievement needs to be done in one complete run-through. Mission Select doesn't unlock them. Bad programmers. Bad.

Is that because of the cumulative 'chaos' thingy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 
Excellent Member

Just started playing it last night, great game

Not that orginal in style as you go to one area eachtime, speak with somebody then get a mission etc

The missions are fun and there are a number of ways to do them (sneak, kill everyone etc)

Also a mixture of magic and tech to use.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:35 
Skillmeister

metalangel wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Is that because of the cumulative 'chaos' thingy?

Not only that, but I missed out on one non-lethal option early on in the game, went back and did it and no achievement pop. Also reports of no-kills-entire-game and no-alerts-all-game achievements not popping by replaying the missions. Considering it took me five hours of creepy crawling to do one level, I'm not sure I've got it in me to do them all again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:42 

Having the second mission require re-playing through a lightly changed chunk of the first mission's map is a curious choice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:46 
Skillmeister

Yes, it fair put me off, that. I thunked it were going to be re-treading old ground for every mission. It may me do a "phhhhhhh" sounds with the hole below my nose. Luckily it weren't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 19:01 
SavyGamer

I had the same reaction to that too. Wonder why they did it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 19:57 

Also, razor trapping a patrolling guard then rewiring a Wall of Light before luring guards into it as a rewired turret bombards them is hellishly tempting, despite my "minimal casualties" ideals. I keep thinking of the graffiti in Corvo's cell; "we are all born innocent, until we make ourselves guilty."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 20:06 
Bad Girl

Considering its been clocked already, what's the total play time on this thang that I don't got (yet)?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 20:11 
Skillmeister

Depends how you play. If you jam the difficulty to easy and mindlessly slash your way through like a Cookie, 3-4 hours. If'n you take your time and creep silently 15-25.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 20:33 
Bad Girl

Ta muchly. I think I'll stick to enjoying the game as intended. If I wanted to piss my hard earned coins away I'd throw them at yuppies with ties and feet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 20:38 
SavyGamer

It hit a point where I thought it was about to end, and I was all like "Woah, this game was great but very much on the short side", then it actually carried on for about half as long again. It's much shorter than something like Deus Ex, but definately not so short that it should put you off. I've seen some people say they spent 3/4 hours on the first proper mission, whereas it was more like an hour for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:01 

It was 3/4 hours for me. I stealthed everywhere, killed almost no-one, and rinsed it for every side item and coin I could find (although I still missed a chunk according to the taunting stats at the end of the level).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:06 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I AM ACE BEST.

Yesterday I finished the game and got the low chaos ending, but I was DISSAPOINTED. (There wasn't even a cheevo for doing it on hard :'(). I was going for ultra stealth, and when I finished mission 7 (the flooded district) I saw a CIVILIANS DEAD: 1. I couldn't figure out who or what that was, but mission 7 is the longest in the game. I couldn't be fucked re-doing it so I just completed the last two mission and got Shadow.

After seeing Dimril say that I can't just use the menu option to replay that mission I loaded up one from the start of mission 7 today and then BREEZED though to the end. Once you know where to go and where most people are you can absoutely fly through the levels. I think the very last mission takes about 10 minutes. (The level were you infiltrate the fortress early is also very very quick if you know the way in and out). The house power even browned out half way through and that didn't deter me.

When I first did it I was strangling everything, much like in missions 1 to 6. But this time, to avoid ANY problems with rats/ledges/whatever killed that person, I didn't touch a single person, including the flooded level boss. The only skils I had were blink, eye-vision, stop time, the jumping/speed powerup and a stealthy boots option I found later. It meant I would just sprint around the places like a ghost :)

I am ultra proud. I wish I did that from the start (the not-choking thing). Anyway: I am now a clean handed ghost in addition to being a shadow.

Whenever I play through to get the high chaos ending I might just slit all the throats, or whatever is required to get the remaining cheevos.

According to steam the only rarer cheevos are these, and two of them seem really simply?
Versatile Kill characters with each weapon and offensive gadget 0.3%
Mostly Flesh and Steel Finish the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink 0.3%
Harm's Way Cause 5 unintentional suicides 0.2%
Inhabitant Stay in possession of others for most of a 3 minute period 0.2%

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:17 
Skillmeister

Pod wrote:

Easy, possess an person near a wall of light, stand just outside it and unpossess. They'll take a step forward to throw up, frying themselves.

Pod wrote:

Easy, possess a rat and hide in a vent for 3 minutes. Pops as soon as you exit and become a big boy again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:56 
SavyGamer

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It was 3/4 hours for me. I stealthed everywhere, killed almost no-one, and rinsed it for every side item and coin I could find (although I still missed a chunk according to the taunting stats at the end of the level).

I was trying to stealth everywhere too, but making a bit of a mess of it. I was doing side quest stuff, but not exploring a huge amount at first. Not til I got a bit more confident and upgraded a few things.

For the coins, it includes money on guards person too, so you have to pickpocket everyone and find all the coins elsewhere to get 100% I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:55 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Dimrill wrote:
Pod wrote:

Easy, possess an person near a wall of light, stand just outside it and unpossess. They'll take a step forward to throw up, frying themselves.

Pod wrote:

Easy, possess a rat and hide in a vent for 3 minutes. Pops as soon as you exit and become a big boy again.

EXACTLY! As is the one about shooting people with each type of weapon. We can be members of the elite. We can be the 0.4%, Dimrill. YOU AND I. I'VE NEVER FELT AS POWERFUL AS I AM NOW.

Quote:
For the coins, it includes money on guards person too, so you have to pickpocket everyone and find all the coins elsewhere to get 100% I think.

If not being a sneaky person, just kill them all and take their phat loot. There's also lots of coins in really random places, and the level 2 vision spell really helps with that. (It highlights pickupable objects in green, as well as highlighting the fancy paintings)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:58 
Skillmeister

And people say cheeeeweeeeeevs don't matter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 16:39 
Skillmeister

Well that's my Clean Hands, Ghost and Shadow run done. Sneaky. I forgot to mention how out of place and crap the end credit music is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 18:07 
Honey Boo Boo

Dimrill wrote:
I forgot to mention how out of place and crap the end credit music is.

Is it like the hip-hop that played over the credits of the 1930s-set Mafia?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 22:56 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

metalangel wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

It's MODERN. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT2q51Zvf0#t=1m10s

Dimrill wrote:
Well that's my Clean Hands, Ghost and Shadow run done. Sneaky. I forgot to mention how out of place and crap the end credit music is.

I just finished my KILL EVERYTHING ONE. Including the girl. I killed the boat dude, but the ending credits showed me weeping over his grave. NOT LIKELY. HE SAID A NASTY THING TO ME. Only 'Harm's Way' and 'Only Flesh and Steel' not picked up, and I can't be bothered to do them. I did try Harm's Way, but couldn't figure it out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 23:00 
Excellent Member

metalangel wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Random tangent: the entire soundtrack for Mafia 2 though was mind-bogglingly good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 23:11 
Honey Boo Boo

Bamba wrote:
metalangel wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Random tangent: the entire soundtrack for Mafia 2 though was mind-bogglingly good.

As was the one for Mafia 1... a different track for each area, from a bustling tune for the downtown area to increasingly sleepy melodies the further you got into the suburbs and wealthy neighbourhoods.

Like LA Noire, it had a lot of historical inaccuracies (Playboy wasn't being printed until 1953, the Thunderbird wasn't built until 1955) but I guess they figured an 18 year old who was shipped off to war in 1943 would be in his thirties - and thus too old - at the end of the 50s and so they had to accelerate the rise of 1950s culture to 1951.

I tended to just ignore those niggles because they capture the atmosphere so well, albeit with the noticeable Eastern European influences on the look of the city that had also been present in the original.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 23:21 

Pod wrote:
I did try Harm's Way, but couldn't figure it out.
Rewire a Wall of Light. Stand on one side with a bunch of guards on the other. Make noise, causing the guards to run into the Wall and get zapped.

Edit -- apparently not. Letting a guard fire before stopping time, possessing him, then moving him infront of his own bullet sounds like fun though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:03 
Skillmeister

Wow, those last two missions change a lot for the high chaos version.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:11 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

By 'the last two' do you include the bit at the pub? Everything up until Daud is basically the same, which I was a bit dissapointed by as I the game continually tells you how that lots of things change.

At the very end I reloaded
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
to let the girl fall
, expecting it to say 'MISSION FAILED, reload', like when you
slice up one of the goodies during a normal pub visits
. NOPE.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 18:21 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Pod wrote:
I did try Harm's Way, but couldn't figure it out.
Rewire a Wall of Light. Stand on one side with a bunch of guards on the other. Make noise, causing the guards to run into the Wall and get zapped.

Edit -- apparently not. Letting a guard fire before stopping time, possessing him, then moving him infront of his own bullet sounds like fun though.

I tried again and did it. I think the mistake last time was that I rewired the wall. Even though it still fried the guests, that didn't count for some reason.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 18:23 
Skillmeister

Yeah, I think it's because you mess with it and make it a trap, it's not technically a suicide. It took me about half an hour of constant retrying, because of psychic guards somehow knowing it's your fault they died, or from the guests scattering and running away to gods know where.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:03 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Dimrill wrote:
Yeah, I think it's because you mess with it and make it a trap, it's not technically a suicide. It took me about half an hour of constant retrying, because of psychic guards somehow knowing it's your fault they died, or from the guests scattering and running away to gods know where.

It helps if you disable the alarm in the closet. Only 2 or 3 guards come. I think these are the guards already 'on' the map, whereas the alarm causes spawns or something. (As I definitely killed more guards than I saw when sluething round the place).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:05 
Skillmeister

Hmm. Good point. I never thought to do that. I walked the two music-box Overseers into the closboard and slat their thruts, then waited until there were 3-4 guests in the area before starting my slaughter. Luckily one had decided to cower in the dining room. Took three possessions to get her back to the Wall :S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:17 
Skillmeister

The creators have had a good, hard think about how they can make this game better with their DLC. After what must have been months of brainstorming and creative thinking they've decided to make a wave-based arena mode for the first DLC. How very unusual.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Dimrill wrote:
The creators have had a good, hard think about how they can make this game better with their DLC. After what must have been months of brainstorming and creative thinking they've decided to make a wave-based arena mode for the first DLC. How very unusual.

It doesn't even make sense. The combat was the least interesting part of Dishonoured. I can understand it's an 'easy' thing to do, but really, who thought up the idea? It's can't have been anyone who'd ever seen the game.... surely?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:43 

Finished.

Following Havelock's sudden yet inevitable betrayal, I decided my Corvo had finally had his innocence knocked away and became a murderous killing machine. No more choke holds and ghosting past people. I killed practically all of Daud's crew (left Daud though), left most of the people at the Hound Pits alive (they were innocents), then went brutal and neck-sliced and face-stabbed some 60-odd guards at the lighthouse. The power that turns people to ashes when you kill them, combined with the zoomy-zoom and the crossbow, is very powerful. I left Havelock alive to face torture and prison because fuck that guy.

Oh, and I sided with Slackjaw, not Rags.

Being a goody two shoes in earlier missions got me the Low Chaos ending though. I've watched the other two endings on Youtube, and read up on soe of the differences towards the end of the game -- I'm very impressed by some of the clever stuff the devs did.

I did most of the sidequests, although I see now that I missed one about escorting plague victims to safety in the chapter 7 -- not sure how that passed me by.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:47 

I assume I'm not the only one who noticed that
the heart is the Empress's?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Is this cheap yet? Or am I going to have to wait till after Christmas before I've got it gathering dust on my shelf?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 20:49 

I just spend a fun half hour or so mopping up some cheevos that looked amusing. Kill 6 people in 1 sec; travel 30m in 1 sec; kill 4 people with the crossbow in 1 sec; cause 5 suicides; cause someone to kill 5 of their allies. Tried for "fight five guys at once" but couldn't get it to drop. I did get "escape from 5 guys" though. I neglected to kill blokey feller for Regicide when I had the chance, and I might try the "kill someone with his own live grenade" one. And then I'm done; the others would all demand a complete second (and more) play through, which I'm not fancying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 20:57 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
Is this cheap yet? Or am I going to have to wait till after Christmas before I've got it gathering dust on my shelf?

What platform you getting it on Vision?

I've got this as a 95% certainty for the Steam Christmas Sale at a tenner, me and my PC spod chums are hanging on for that almost certain eventuality.

Not sure how it'll pan out on the 360 but pre-owned should be at about that price by then?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 20:35 
Terrible Human Being

Picked this up on PC, as Green man were doing Steam Keys for it for 15 quid. Gameplay is fun, but graphics have a bit of a retro feel to them, in a bad way. I know you get hordes of them running around so they're not going to be super intricate, but the rats look like they're done with three polygons and a 16x16 texture. I guess this is the price you pay for cross-platform development where the other two platforms are out of date and underpowered children's toys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 20:44 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:

Game are doing it for £21.49 according to a poster I saw in their window. Might well go for it at that price.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 21:51 
SavyGamer

£12:
http://savygamer.co.uk/2012/11/23/dishonored-pc-11-99/

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next