Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dishono(u)red
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 0:49 
Bad Girl

This is brilliant. Really brilliant. I'm struggling to get the feeling that it's amazing - y'know, that feeling you get when something is exciting, edge of your seat, pant wetting amazing - but it's intelligent, well made, and has a certain amount of genius about it.

I love zapping places with super-zappy speed travel.

I love the fantastic level design.

I love the sense of place and character.

I love the stories.

I love the chatter, the sound, the graphics and the way your head rolls when it gets chopped off.

The "only" thing that's even slightly irritated me are the loading times. It's the best thing I've played in yonks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:01 
Bad Girl

Something groovy. I was doing the bridge level and was just about half way across. I was sneaking pretty good up until then. I snuck along the top of the bridge zapping from girder to girder, climbed some chains and disable the lights before zapping down the other side and under the bridge. A change of pace was needed: I possess a fish and swim to the far side. Not a sole (ho-ho) noticed my fabulous infiltration and extrication. Well, until I climb the stairs just as a guard is walking that way. Sloppy.

The guard charges at me, only for me to zappy zap out of harms way. Only thing was, the guard didn't stop running and the only thing behind me was a drop off the bridge onto craggy rocks. One guard splatted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 19:46 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Saturnalian wrote:
My favourite so far: the guard who's ill. He doesn't want his eyes to bleed and asks his colleague to kill him. He does. It's dark. It's great.

If you have a high chaos level when you reach this part then it'll play out completely differently.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:50 
Bad Girl

I might be inclined to play this a second time actually, unless it pisses me off towards the end. I can't see it happening though since its filled with awesome so far.

Did anyone pinch Sokolov as easy as me? Zapped up onto the roof with little fuss and escaped with his unconscious body! I tried a few times to get through the indoors part with no fighting but it was too much hard work, then I spied a chain outside and - bobs your uncle - I'm up top. Brilliant, brilliant level design.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 0:42 
Bad Girl

Character-wise, this reminds me loads of Timesplitters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:00 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Saturnalian wrote:
I might be inclined to play this a second time actually, unless it pisses me off towards the end. I can't see it happening though since its filled with awesome so far.

Did anyone pinch Sokolov as easy as me? Zapped up onto the roof with little fuss and escaped with his unconscious body! I tried a few times to get through the indoors part with no fighting but it was too much hard work, then I spied a chain outside and - bobs your uncle - I'm up top. Brilliant, brilliant level design.

Yep. My first time doing that level I just zapped up to the roof from one of the other rooftops, as I was already up there for whatever reason. Snuck in, walloped him over the head and snuck out. I made life hard by going downstairs to steal some fancy painting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 0:02 
Bad Girl

Oh fuck, I've just got into a duel thanks to Lord Pendleton but have no idea why. I think I forgot to read Pendleton's note he gave me - or was it sealed? Fuck. Anyway some guy is splatted thanks to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 0:10 
Bad Girl

The cigarette smoke drifting in the air in the smoking room at the Waverly party is bloody glorious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 0:56 
Bad Girl

The fact that this isn't being universally played and bummed by everybody on here is criminal.

The masked ball was pure Hitman. In fact, better than Hitman. Shit, I still need to finish Hitman.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 

I got to the start of the second mission on the PS3 before buying the PC version in the Steam sale at Christmas (I got the PS3 version as a Christmas gift). It is much nicer playing the PC one, so I've started again on that, but so far have only got as far as the High Overseer's office ready for that first assassination. I'm finding it to be more of a chore than I was expecting to retrace these steps in the game, particularly as that first mission seems to take so long. I'm hoping I'll get back in to it once I've caught up with my PS3 progress, because I was certainly enjoying it the first time around. I love the world they've created for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Is this cheap yet on the xbox?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 
Gogmagog

I looked this morning on amazon, it was sub £20.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 
SavyGamer

Morte wrote:

If you get in whilst they are still trading, it's £13.39 at Blockbuster with coupon "5MARKET", same on PS3.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 
Bad Girl

Goddamn, it's a freaking bargain at that price. Buy two.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 18:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

LewieP wrote:
Morte wrote:

If you get in whilst they are still trading, it's £13.39 at Blockbuster with coupon "5MARKET", same on PS3.

Beware.. It's pre owned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 23:00 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Saturnalian wrote:
Oh fuck, I've just got into a duel thanks to Lord Pendleton but have no idea why. I think I forgot to read Pendleton's note he gave me - or was it sealed? Fuck. Anyway some guy is splatted thanks to me.

You can't read it, nor can you avoid it if you talk to him. :(

Zio wrote:
I got to the start of the second mission on the PS3 before buying the PC version in the Steam sale at Christmas (I got the PS3 version as a Christmas gift). It is much nicer playing the PC one, so I've started again on that, but so far have only got as far as the High Overseer's office ready for that first assassination. I'm finding it to be more of a chore than I was expecting to retrace these steps in the game, particularly as that first mission seems to take so long. I'm hoping I'll get back in to it once I've caught up with my PS3 progress, because I was certainly enjoying it the first time around. I love the world they've created for it.

I found that with Knowledge of the maps I could just ZIP across them. Both times I finished the games I just maxxed out the running and ZIPPING skills and I could get from one side of the map to the other in no time at all. If you're not doing a stealth playthrough it's even faster, as you can just sprint past people openly :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 23:48 
Bad Girl

My new toy is ace: pushy windy blow pops. Just resting on that precarious railing, aye? WHOOSH. The physics are very pleasing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 0:22 
Paws for thought

Pod wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

You can't read it, nor can you avoid it if you talk to him. :(

Although you can just hit him with the a tranq. dart. That counts as winning, but not as a kill.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 0:57 
Bad Girl

This is better than Bioshock. Far better. I liked Bioshock but it was linear corridors really wasn't it? Not in a bad way, mind, but Dishonoured feels more like a spiritual successor to Half Life 2. Not least the graphics - it's Edwardian City 17 - but the smart layout of the levels and the people brimming with personality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:57 
Honey Boo Boo

Saturnalian wrote:
Dishonoured feels more like a spiritual successor to Half Life 2. Not least the graphics - it's Edwardian City 17 - but the smart layout of the levels and the people brimming with personality.

Same art director.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 0:24 
Bad Girl

Finished.

That. Was. Ace.

What a great, and surprisingly understated for a computer game, ending.

It just misses out on GOTY 2012 just because Journey was so memorable and beautiful. And Dark Souls DLC was Dark Souls DLC.

I can't wait to jump straight back into it and go all balls out and slash people's faces off since I largely snuck about. I wasn't afraid to kill when the moment required though - I played it my way and it let me. What a smart and intelligent game.

Play this game. Play it or I'll, er, um, look, just frickin' play it alright. It's aces.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I got as far as meeting the chap with the boat after the sewers (so not far at all, then).

It gets better, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 
SavyGamer

It does.

I really fucking liked Dishonored, but similarly had no desire to replay it immediately. I know I'll return to it at some point though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:50 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:
I got as far as meeting the chap with the boat after the sewers (so not far at all, then).

It gets better, right?

That's basically the "how to move" tutorial. You don't even have you teleporting powers. At least try the first mission.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 20:03 
Bad Girl

Pod wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It gets better, right?

That's basically the "how to move" tutorial. You don't even have you teleporting powers. At least try the first mission.

Yeah, what Pod said. I really got into it after the first mission. It's proper bangin' yo.

I've started again with murder on my mind and its astonishing how quickly you can smash through the game just being a dick. It reminds me a lot like Hitman in that regard, since you get out of it what you put in. That is surely a very good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:19 

DLC teaser image tweeted by company account, slightly spoilery, very exciting:

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/dir_2985/image_298566.jpg

Fuck, yeah!

(Too wide to embed.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 13:26 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DLC teaser image tweeted by company account, slightly spoilery, very exciting:

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/dir_2985/image_298566.jpg

Fuck, yeah!

(Too wide to embed.)

Now that does look interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 15:08 

Reveal: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... l-revealed

Quote:
Dishonored publisher Bethesda has announced two new story-based add-ons for the game starring antagonist assassin Daud.

The Knife of Dunwall arrives first on 16th April for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (likely the 17th April for PS3 in Europe). It'll cost £7.99/800 Microsoft Points.

Daud's story will then be concluded in a final add-on, The Brigmore Witches.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 16:22 
Bad Girl

Oh, I'll definately be all over this. I was going to trade it in but sharn't bother now. Yippie! More story based goodness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 16:23 

I'm going to pick this game up. I really enjoyed what I played of it, even though I was taking turns with my nephew who was just killing everyone in sight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 17:07 
Excellent Painter

Even though I have a fairly large collection of unplayed games due to having sod all time to play nowadays, I've just ordered this :facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 18:32 

DBSnappa wrote:
Even though I have a fairly large collection of unplayed games due to having sod all time to play nowadays, I've just ordered this :facepalm:

It's really good. I took a week off work about a month ago so that I could make some headway into the CCENT / CCNA course I'd bought online and ended up spending literally the entire time playing this.

I won't deny I sometimes think I maybe should've done the course though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 21:06 
Excellent Painter

Zio wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

It's really good. I took a week off work about a month ago so that I could make some headway into the CCENT / CCNA course I'd bought online and ended up spending literally the entire time playing this.

I won't deny I sometimes think I maybe should've done the course though.

Ach, it's fine. I usually get around to playing most of my games eventually. It's SP so that's double fine with me, as I won't be missing out on time sensitive MP, so even if I don't get around to it for a month or two, it's all good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 16:18 
Excellent Painter

Just started this, done the escape bit and the first two runes. Loving it so far — it looks really rather good in a painterly kinda way, doesn't it? Even though I've basically only just started it I already have good feelings toward it — I hope it isn't too stealthy as though I'm quite patient I don't want to spend hours peering through bloody keyholes watching guard movement patterns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 16:25 

Screw looking through keyholes for anything, just fire up Dark Vision.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 16:35 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

:this:

I've never had the patience for things like the Thief games or the Splinter Cell series, etc, but I loved this. The stealthy-ness never gets in the way - part of the beauty of having the Blink power is you can use it to vanish away any time you get spotted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 17:10 
Skillmeister

Can't use it on a no-powers run-through. *buffs nails on lapel*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 17:21 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Heh, this was the first power up I added with the runes after meeting, "dum dum dum" THE OUTSIDER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 18:19 
Excellent Member

When I went in to pick up the new Tomb Raider today I saw this sitting on the swap shelf at the same class as the recently finished Kingdoms of Amalur so I could've picked it up for a fiver if I'd bloody remembered to pick Amalur up when I left the house this morning. I'll give it a shot tomorrow but it seems unlikely someone else won't have made off with it by then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 18:25 

DB- be aware there are 50-odd runes needed for a full suite, but only 30-odd in the whole game. So you can't have everything.

Everyone needs Dark Vision, Blink, and Agility though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 19:55 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DB- be aware there are 50-odd runes needed for a full suite, but only 30-odd in the whole game. So you can't have everything.

Everyone needs Dark Vision, Blink, and Agility though.

Thanks for the heads up — I shall think carefully about how I want to play.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:52 
Bad Girl

Gah, I thought there was more talk of the DLC when this thread jumped to the top. Really interested in some of that.

Anyhoo, don't worry about the relic powers so much. As long as you don't piss it away on extra health or the rubbish bottom line of powers you'll soon have a corking contingent of cuality cilling, er, cowers to play with. Powers.

In fact, the ones that seem most boring (eg. aren't about aggressive killing) are actually some of the most fun. I got the most 'useful' first and then dabbled with the killing ones. Then hardly used the killing ones at all. Tch. Whirlwind, for example, is a bit rubbish unless you're going for straight up murdadefkill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 14:36 
Skillmeister

First dulluck's only 160pts today only.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 21:09 
Bad Girl

Knife of Dunwall DLC, oot! Oot naaaah!

(On PS3, I'd imagine its on Live too) (Xbox Live, not onLive) (its probably not on onLive) (who knows though, aye? I ain't checking everything for ya. Lazy shits)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 23:46 
SavyGamer

Started the Knife of Dunwall DLC tonight. Pretty good so far. It's more of the same gameplay with new environments/missions, and a new character with somewhat different equipment/abilities. If you liked the main game and would like more, seems worth getting to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 19:40 
Bad Girl

This DLC is freakin' ace. I'm still on the first level and I've been playing it for over an hour. After the whaleless campaign the added whale is whale, whale, whale. Whale. I will make those fuckers pay for hurting these whales. I'll make them wail. I mean, whale. No, hang on etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 20:39 
Bad Girl

Ace. Got to the end of the first level and already I want to redo it!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I knocked out Rothwell and left him with Abigail for two minutes. I came back and she'd stuck an ice pick in the back of skull! Damn, I wanted to get him in the chair, a substantial journey and challenge, and interrogate him as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:15 
Bad Girl

Did I mention how ace I reckon this is?

There's nothing quite like zapping across rooftops like a hyper terminator assassin.

Tip tip tippity tip: get the increased zapping range early on to really help unlock your assassin potential.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 17:22 
Excellent Member

I'm playing this right now and really enjoying it as well. I seem to have all the cash in the world though and nothing I need to spend it on which is an odd position to be in. I'm also only using the 'see through walls' and 'teleport' powers and not really worrying about the other ones but it's excellent fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 21:51 
Bad Girl

DLC: Done Le Campaign, more like!

Three missions is what you get and they're big un's. Two new un's and one that you'll have done on the campaign but approached differently, natch.

I'd say it was worth the pennies since its just about the best game in recent times since all the tired shooty pew pew became a staple diet for gamers.

Just be aware that to get the decent ending you'll need low chaos going into the last mission.

I haven't checked up I reckon you'll get four to five hours of awesome if you play it the stealthy way; less if you go balls out on a murderizing death spree. I did do a fair few reloads if I got caught unaware so I could get the low chaos, which added to the run time. There's some lovely written bits of paper knocking about as well to read. There were four brilliantly written, and spooky, ones around four dead bodies if anyone finds it in apartment 7. Or was it 10? I'll rehash them here if I can be bothered...

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next