Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 85  Next

Do you play tabletop wargames?
No, of course not. Tabletop wargamers are so nerdy they make PC fanboys look cool and studly. 34%  34%  [ 25 ]
Yes. I love my little painted figures. I give them all names and stroke them every night. I live for weapons damage charts. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I used to, but discovered girls. 52%  52%  [ 38 ]
What are you talking about? 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: Re: Tabletop wargaming - a quick survey
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 23:32 
Rude Belittler

*groan*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 23:33 
Skillmeister

*nods* I went there. *nods more*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 23:39 
Rude Belittler

Anyway, Craster's said something nice about my miniatures, which is more than you have, Mr Dimrill. *huff* And you're home late, your dinner's in the dog.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 23:41 
Skillmeister

I save our luvvin for xbawks chat, baby.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 0:09 
Rude Belittler

Shhh... We don't want everyone to know about those 'chats'.. the ones where the ability to make the other person's controller vibrate comes in handy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 18:18 
Rude Belittler

Work in Progress:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 18:19 
Skillmeister

Is that a new style or old lead Termy?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 18:40 
Honey Boo Boo

Pundabaya wrote:
going crusty on your mimi

fnarr!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 19:51 
Rude Belittler

Dimrill wrote:
Is that a new style or old lead Termy?

New style, ish. He came with both a 25mm slottabase and a 40 mm base (I used both!), which suggests that it was designed before Termies came on 40mm bases as standard. He definitely wasn't around in the lead age. I had an old lead Termie Captain, and he was totally different.

About 5 hours of work there, about 2-3 to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:28 
INFINITE POWAH

I may stick up some pics of my fairly recently painted Epic Space Marines and Orks soon. I am so looking forward to Junior Mk 2 going to sleep in the evenings so I can carry on painting...

I used to paint all sorts of GW stuff, and still have some interesting models knocking around (including an old Bloodthirster) that I'll have to get on to when I get the chance. I think I have a Blood Bowl Ogre around somewhere, as well as a big fuck-off dragon. Hmmm - I could have some fun if I had the time.

Re: Camo - You're right, Pundy, it doesn't always work on small scale (28mm) GW figures - and I've seen some horrible Tau painted up in camo that look a mess on the tabletop. However, it can work if done properly. For instance, you will often see 20mm and 28mm WW2 and modern military bods done in camo, and it can look quite decent. Eg:

I would love to replicate something similar on Space Marines. Actually, I have an old captain somewhere that I did up in something similar to the 1980s US pattern camo for AFVs. Didn't look too fussy. The trick is, I think, to have the difference between the colours in the camo scheme more muted than you would on a larger scale figure (e.g. 1/32).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
I would love to replicate something similar on Space Marines.

Marines don't use camo, man! That's like hiding or something. Guard units would take well to camo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:39 
Hibernating Druid

Terminators heads are so far into their chest, they look like the offsping of Ram Man & Sandy Toksvig.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
I would love to replicate something similar on Space Marines.

Marines don't use camo, man! That's like hiding or something. Guard units would take well to camo.

I [heard about - ed] a massive argument on a GW forum about the marines not wearing camo, cos they're well 'ard and don't need to innit, and besides it's in the Codex that they must not anyway, dont you know, waa waa waa, and someone on the other side pointed out that the old 40k Compendium had shedloads of photos and drawings of marines in camo.

They'd be bloody maniacs not to, to be honest. No matter how well armed and armoured they are, you don't paint your tanks and troops in bright red. Otherwise the yanks would be going into war in American football shirts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
Terminators heads are so far into their chest, they look like the offsping of Ram Man & Sandy Toksvig.

Indeed. They have such short torsos it's ridiculous. Marines and termies generally do seem to be grossly deformed.

There's a picture of Lord Macragge in terminator armour in the Ultramarines Codex that has him in such massive armour that his entire body (legs, arms and all) could only realistically fit in the chest space of the armour. There was no way his arms could have reached to the end of the power gloves unless they were about 15 feet long and had three elbows.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
. No matter how well armed and armoured they are, you don't paint you tanks and troops in bright red. Otherwise the yanks would be going into war in American football shirts.

's intimidation, innit?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:50 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
. No matter how well armed and armoured they are, you don't paint you tanks and troops in bright red. Otherwise the yanks would be going into war in American football shirts.

's intimidation, innit?

Be shocked and awed by our pwetty paint?

"Sir, we can see large concentrations of 8 foot tall guys in bright orange armour moving around in the tree line over there."

"Artillery, please."

They're also making it almost too easy for any passing pilots hoping to have a quick dakka dakka dakka at a ground target.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:01 
Hibernating Druid

Re camo: They don't always fight in woods, on earth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:03 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
Re camo: They don't always fight in woods, on earth.

True - but then they can paint grey/black/white camo when they're fighting on a moon, or orange/brown camo if they're fighting on a world made of rust, or whatever.

Bright red or yellow is almost never going to be particularly stealthy. Unless they're trying to hide at a Man U/Sheffield match.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:07 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, I know man.

You want the reality? Games Workshop make much more money by telling everyone what specific colour to paint everything.

"Hmm this new range of Slug monsters should be predominantly brown, yes?"

"Flaps to that! we have a huge stock pile of lime green and orange paint in our warehouse, tell em they're er, well just tell em that's what colour they are."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:08 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
Yeah, I know man.

I know you know, man. I just gets bees in my bonnet about the weirdest things.

Quote:
You want the reality? Games Workshop make much more money by telling everyone what specific colour to paint everything.

"Flaps to that! we have a huge stock pile of lime green and orange paint in our warehouse, tell em they're er, well just tell em that's what colour they are."

Heh.

GW are, as has been expounded at length, cunts. But cunts with pwetty pwetty models. The cunts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:13 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Chris wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Yeah, I know man.

I know you know, man. I just gets bees in my bonnet about the weirdest things.

I knew you knew what I know, I just like, you know, wanted to let other people know now too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:04 
making out to faces of death

Craster wrote:

The funny thing is, there's a quote in the game fluff somewhere, I don't remember the chapter, but the main blokey has some quote about marines never wear camo. In either an old white dwarf, or the original Rogue Trader rulebook, on a double page spread of marine chapter colour schemes (this was back when Dark Angels were black), his chapter has "blarg system campaign" colors in.... camo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 
INFINITE POWAH

AceAceBaby wrote:
Craster wrote:

The funny thing is, there's a quote in the game fluff somewhere, I don't remember the chapter, but the main blokey has some quote about marines never wear camo. In either an old white dwarf, or the original Rogue Trader rulebook, on a double page spread of marine chapter colour schemes (this was back when Dark Angels were black), his chapter has "blarg system campaign" colors in.... camo.

It was in a White Dwarf that ended up as part of the old 40K Compendium, if we're thinking of the same thing. There was a page of Rhino camo colours, Land Raider camo colours and various Space Marine camo chapter designs including camo colours for such and such campaigns.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:15 

I honestly think the real answer was "camouflage is really hard for 10 year olds to paint and feel good about themselves in The Hobby. We need to get them to buy aerosol spray cans of ultramarine blue instead."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 15:18 
Rude Belittler

Mr Chris wrote:
I [heard about - ed] a massive argument on a GW forum about the marines not wearing camo, cos they're well 'ard and don't need to innit, and besides it's in the Codex that they must not anyway, dont you know, waa waa waa, and someone on the other side pointed out that the old 40k Compendium had shedloads of photos and drawings of marines in camo.

They'd be bloody maniacs not to, to be honest. No matter how well armed and armoured they are, you don't paint your tanks and troops in bright red. Otherwise the yanks would be going into war in American football shirts.

Well, I think the idea is that Space Marines don't use a lot of camo because they aren't footsloggers and don't spend that much time on the battlefield. They arrive via drop-pod/t-hawk/teleporter, kick some ass then disappear. The guard do all the tedious 'dodging artillery' stuff. And that's one thing that people seem to forget, as tough as Marines are, they're almost never deployed on their own, there's always Guard to back them up.

I've also never, ever seen a rule ever that says 'Space Marines can't use camo'. There are references to the Codex Astartes containing 'standard camouflage schemes' in 2nd edition, at least. I've seen a Blood Angels army in a red camouflage scheme which looked fucking awesome. Being played in a Games Workshop Store, which allegedly runs by 'The Rules'.

Zardoz wrote:

Except they don't?! Most stuff about colour schemes is very vague. If you want your Marine army to be Blood Angels, you have to paint them bright red and black. However, If you want them to be pink, you can. They just can't be Blood Angels. Even stuff like Eldar Aspect Warriors, where the classic version is widely known, the actual guidelines are much, much vaguer. Like Striking Scorpions are 'greens and yellows' which gives a lot of scope. It's just that when most people paint them, they bring out the Scorpion Green.

Of course, nowadays, you have 'counts as' rules too. Remember those pink Space Marines up above, that you really, really wanted to be Blood Angels? Now you can call them 'Love Angels' and have them count as Blood Angels, use Blood Angels Special Characters and units, as long as you tell any opponent you face what counts as what.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 16:02 
Hibernating Druid

Chillax Pundster!

I won't rip into GW again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 17:36 
Rude Belittler

Zardoz wrote:
Chillax Pundster!

I won't rip into GW again.

Oh, I don't mind you ripping into GW. Just make sure that it's factually accurate ripping.

Here's a free one: The horrendous treatment of staff in GW shops, because they know that if someone leaves, they can just go out in front and say 'who wants to play games for a living, and get a discount on miniatures?' and be beating applicants off with sticks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:31 
INFINITE POWAH

Oh good lord, a 40K scale Capitol Imperialis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:41 

Pundabaya wrote:
Of course, nowadays, you have 'counts as' rules too. Remember those pink Space Marines up above, that you really, really wanted to be Blood Angels? Now you can call them 'Love Angels' and have them count as Blood Angels, use Blood Angels Special Characters and units, as long as you tell any opponent you face what counts as what.

They always had those things where you could make a "descendant" chapter or something, to do this. So you could have different color schemes and whatnot. They had some examples too, like the Blood Drinkers were an offshoot of the Blood Angels, as were the Flesh Tearers I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 17:12 
Rude Belittler

Now it is far more flexible. Back in the day, you had to be THE Dark Angels to use Azrael, or Deathwing. No arguments. The successor chapters could have a feel of the original, but a lot of the special stuff was off-limits. Now, your Dark Angels successor chapter can easily use specials (with the serial numbers filed off, of course), and as I understand it, as long as you don't mix and match army lists, theres little an opponent can do about it. If your Angels of Rave (with their bright green armour, and individually modelled glowsticks, not to mention stupid white gloves) count as the DA army list, then they are essentially Dark Angels rules wise, no opponents permission needed.

And in the new Space Marine codex, this is how they do the slightly special chapters (stuff like UIltramarines, Salamanders, White Scars, Imperial Fists, rather than the really special ones like Dark Angels, Blood Angels Space Wolves that have their own codex). A White Scars army is a bog standard Space Marines army, unless you take the White Scars character as your commander. He then imposes special rules on your army, to reflect the White Scars rapid response/assault background. And any SM army can take these characters, via 'counts as'.

Ooh, Capitol Imperialis. Shame it used to be shit. 'yay lets put all our troops in the Capitol Imperialis!' Kaboom! 'ahhhh...shiiiit'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 17:14 
INFINITE POWAH

Pundabaya wrote:
And in the new Space Marine codex, this is how they do the slightly special chapters (stuff like UIltramarines, Salamanders, White Scars, Imperial Fists, rather than the really special ones like Dark Angels, Blood Angels Space Wolves that have their own codex). A White Scars army is a bog standard Space Marines army, unless you take the White Scars character as your commander. He then imposes special rules on your army, to reflect the White Scars rapid response/assault background. And any SM army can take these characters, via 'counts as'.

You can also make up any Marine Chapter you fancy using the Chapter traits system in the Ultramarines codex - which is quite nifty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 17:28 
Rude Belittler

Oh, they've fucked all that off for the new one. The traits system is essentially replaced by the new Special characters, which puts some reins on the whole thing. Buying models because they fit your army's theme is good, choosing your army's theme by what models you've bought is bad.

Before, players would choose advantages that were useful for their army, and choose their disadvantages by what they weren't going to do anyway. Otherwise known as the 'No bikes? No problem!' method.

The new rules have fixed traits, and you have to buy points heavy special characters to use them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 17:29 
INFINITE POWAH

See, this is why they need to stop changing the fucking rules.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 17:31 
Rude Belittler

Ah, its not so bad. It seems like a sensible thing to do, stops the munchkins.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 20:24 
Rude Belittler

Finished!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 20:25 
Skillmeister

Noice. Very noice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 20:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Very nice. Has he got a flag?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 20:41 
Hibernating Druid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 20:41 
Hibernating Druid

Nice work Pundster.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 20:42 
Rude Belittler

Grim... wrote:
Very nice. Has he got a flag?

not yet, I'm putting off doing his banner, cos I hates it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 0:53 
Rude Belittler

Oh, any hardened veterans/people interested in starting/weak-willed recidivists might want to look at the new 40K boxed sets, out September. Not wanting to sound like a GW shill, but the stuff you get is pretty awesome

1– Space Marine Commander
1– Space Marine Tactical Squad (10 models)
1– Space Marine Terminator Squad (5 models)
1– Space Marine Dreadnought

1– Ork Warboss
2– Ork Boyz Mobs (10 models each, 20 all together)
1– Ork Nob Mob (5 models)
3– Death Koptas

For about £40. They're all clip-together, but they're bloody good clip-together minis.

Oh, yeah. and rules'n'dice'n'those-crappy-red-pointy-measuring-sticks'n'shit. But who cares about those?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:38 
PC Gamer

AceAceBaby wrote:

Man, I used to love those White Dwarf "loads of marine chapter/colours" spreads. Remember when White Dwarf used to be any good? Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 
INFINITE POWAH

White Dwarf these days seems to be 50% ads for GW products.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 19:29 

Mr Chris wrote:
White Dwarf these days seems to be 100% ads for GW products.

Predictable FTFY! :DD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:33 
Rude Belittler

Nifty Chaos Titan

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153485

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 21:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well, for my first attempt in many years, I'm really quite pleased.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 23:28 
Rude Belittler

Not bad... With practise, you'll get better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 0:34 
Skillmeister

Aw man, don't make me start buying eldar now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:25 

I was rummaging on my old pooter and found pics of some cyborks I made out of leftovers. I'll see if I can get them off it and put them up. Though my painting is a bit rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 21:32 
Rude Belittler

Oi, Dimmers! (or anyone!)You painted any more stuff? Specifically Forgeworld gubbinz.

Meanwhile, I'm currently trying to stop my painting progress from going from slow to glacial, I'm trying to spend an hour or so a night painting to make up for not being able to sit down for five hours every other day. (Stupid work)
Oh, I'm picking up a copy of Assault on Black Reach on Saturday. For the luvverly miniatures contained within. And the D6s. Can't have too many D6s.

If you include the stuff from there, my 'to paint' list for my 40K army looks like this:

2 and a half tactical squads,
1 Assault Squad
1 scout squad and an odd Scout
2 terminator squads
1 captain in power armour
1 Dreadnought
1 Rhino

So that'll be 46 miniatures and 2 vehicles then. ETA 2030.

And I need some more vehicles. A land raider for some termies to ride in. A couple of Razorbacks. A Predator. I would like a Forge World Chaplain Dreadnought. And 2 or 3 more Rhinos.

*cries*

Oh, and I'm a convert to Citadel Washes. They are awesome.

*tries to forget about the Lizardmen he bought on a whim.)

Reply to topic  [ 4249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 85  Next