Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dante's Commute
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:01 
Excellent Member

If someone is literally blocking the way I'd have zero qualms about physically pushing past them while 'muttering' "fuck sake" loud enough for them to hear. I can thoroughly recommend doing that instead of being quietly raging.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'd be doing that a hundred times a day in London. It's just easier to quietly tut and seethe inside.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 13:11 
Prince of Fops

Trooper wrote:
I have a new commute nemesis, but the most annoying thing is that he doesn't know he is.

Fat guy, gets on the train at the same stop as me, sits in the same carriage, spends all his time on his phone. All ok so far.
Gets off at my stop, walks through the train station, still glued to his phone the whole time, with no spatial awareness. The usual randomly speeding up, slowing down and meandering that all phone walkers do.
Waits for the same tube as me, in front of the carriage doors that I get on. Hasn't once looked up from his phone yet.
Tube arrives, he is standing in front of the doors... and he decides to wait for the next tube if it is slightly busy... but doesn't get out of the way, blocking the people behind him from getting on, ands the platform is pretty crowded and he is a big guy, so you can't exactly walk around him.

He has done it to me twice now, so I know to avoid standing behind him, but I hate him. I hate how oblivious he is to everything and everybody around him.

This would make me seethe. Nothing makes me quite so angry as the ones who just have the eyes glued to their book/kindle/phone/iPad Fucking Pro while they're walking along. They're effectively saying "Fuck all of you, I'm walking this way, it's up to you to ensure I don't crash into you."

I've failed to acquire a true bete noire on my commute, nobody has been truly egregious on a regular basis (apart from the train companies, natch. But that's too predictable and tedious to go into, though it has been truly, spectacularly awful since the timetable change. All the strikes were a walk in the park compared to this.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 14:14 
UltraMod

Aren't you lot grumpy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 14:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Less grumpy now i've vented.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 18:29 
Paws for thought

Generally, I'm easy going. Aside from the guy who used to take the same bus as me on the way to school. But not a bath. Or a shower. Or a trip to the laundry shop. Ever.
Words cannot describe how vomit-inducingly awful it was when he got on the bus (And the time he sat infront of me he nearly got it all over his back. He robably still wouldn't have washed). Although you could tell he had before he came up to the top deck from smell alone and prepare accordingly. Once you knew.

Although on the commute back from Epsom there was a crazy old guy would would mutter under his breath how much he wanted to kill me. For the sin of being next to the door that dropped you closest to the station exit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 18:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

In other commuting news, my train home has 12 carriages, the first stop is half an hour into the journey.

People are always crowded into the vestibules, standing up in the last half of the train, with the rest of the seats all taken.

I'm currently sitting in a six seat section, all on my lonesome, because I walked down to the front of the train and got on the second carriage. Same thing happens every day.
I'm not complaining about my oodles of space, I just find it weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 18:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's the fear of the doors closing without them getting on that makes that happen, I think.

People who try and avoid that by walking down the inside of the train though *shudder*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 18:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

I get to the train about 18:05 and the closest carriages are already full to bursting. The train leaves at 18:13...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 19:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

People are idiots, I guess?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 19:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

I assumed it was idleness, not wanting to walk all the way down the platform, but surely if you are that idle you want to be sitting down for the journey?

Maybe they have never been this far down and think it is packed in every carriage, that would make sense!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 
Excellent Member

On my train in the parts where there are three-seater bits people will tend to sit with a gap between them. Which is fine and understandable when the train isn't full, but after that point it's wasted seat. The weird thing is though that other people will then almost never dare to sit in these spare seats. It's incredibly rare that I need to stand during my commute because even at a point when the doorway and aisles are full of fucking idiots standing up there's usually loads of these spare seats; and I've got no qualms about pushing in between two fannies and sitting in one of them. I find it deeply odd: there's a spare seat, why stand instead of sitting in it? People are fucking weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:03 
Unpossible!

If no-one else does it... maybe you're the weird one

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:06 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
If no-one else does it... maybe you're the weird one

Statistically it seems I am. Behaviourally though I'd argue they are.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 

If all the two-person seats in a carriage have one spare seat each, I will pick the one with a bag on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:38 
Prince of Fops

Kern wrote:
If all the two-person seats in a carriage have one spare seat each, I will pick the one with a bag on it.

100% :this:

Or if they're sitting in the aisle with a spare window seat.

Though I was thinking about Trooper's unaware nemesis on this morning's commute. What if I am unwittingly someone's hated nemesis? What have I been doing wrong? I found myself getting weirdly wound up about this hypothetical antagonist.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
In other commuting news, my train home has 12 carriages, the first stop is half an hour into the journey.

People are always crowded into the vestibules, standing up in the last half of the train, with the rest of the seats all taken.

I'm currently sitting in a six seat section, all on my lonesome, because I walked down to the front of the train and got on the second carriage. Same thing happens every day.

Or people want to stand next to the door that lets them off by their relevant station exit.

I generally go and stand in the carriage that will drop me off exactly at the right point to swiftly swan off out of the station.

That said, I don’t think any of the carriages on my train are at all empty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:42 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Or people want to stand next to the door that lets them off by their relevant station exit.

I generally go and stand in the carriage that will drop me off exactly at the right point to swiftly swan off out of the station.

That said, I don’t think any of the carriages on my train are at all empty.

Good point, but it's a 30 minute journey, would you stand for half an hour, just to get out the station 30 seconds faster?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 13:37 
Soopah red DS

Last time I came back to the UK after a long break, I sat in one of those middle seats on the One/Anglia service out to Hertfordshire. Bloke next to me wasn't happy, he spent the next 15 minutes with his elbow in my side. He wasn't especially big, but perhaps felt the middle was his. I was too culture-shocked to say or do anything - nothing remotely comparable had happened to me anywhere else. After Heathrow tube station and blank-faced people in everyone's way as we tried to get in, it was quite the come-down welcome back.

I had a minor win, mind. At one point I glanced at him and he immediately piped up with a leer, and "alright?" I smiled at him and said "yeah, just fine, thanks".

But still, those 3-seats are just on the thin side of big enough to actually seat 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:21 
Isn't that lovely?

Findus Fop wrote:
Kern wrote:

Though I was thinking about Trooper's unaware nemesis on this morning's commute. What if I am unwittingly someone's hated nemesis? What have I been doing wrong? I found myself getting weirdly wound up about this hypothetical antagonist.

I nearly always sit in the aisle seat with the space by the window, I put my bag on that seat (cleaner than the floor) so if I fall asleep, it's harder for someone to try and steal it or get anything from it. It's also easier to get something out of the bag if I need to.

If the bus/train is busy I'll move the bag to between my feet, and if someone needs to sit next to me, they can have the window seat and I'll keep the aisle seat.

Much rather that, than be hemmed in by them. I also try and sit on the right side, so I can stretch my left leg into the aisle if I need to, as that knee often gets twitchy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:30 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Malc wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Kern wrote:

I nearly always sit in the aisle seat with the space by the window, I put my bag on that seat (cleaner than the floor) so if I fall asleep, it's harder for someone to try and steal it or get anything from it. It's also easier to get something out of the bag if I need to.

If the bus/train is busy I'll move the bag to between my feet, and if someone needs to sit next to me, they can have the window seat and I'll keep the aisle seat.

Much rather that, than be hemmed in by them. I also try and sit on the right side, so I can stretch my left leg into the aisle if I need to, as that knee often gets twitchy.

I bet you leave the house without makeup on because you can do it on the train and let everyone else suffer their commute in the misery of flailing arms and dust storms too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:31 
Prince of Fops

Malc wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Kern wrote:

First against the wall.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Malc, you're a terrible human being.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:38 
Hibernating Druid

Managed to grab a forward facing window seat in my car this morning.

Had my bag next to me on another window seat.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:40 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Zardoz wrote:
Managed to grab a forward facing window seat in my car this morning.

Had my bag next to me on another window seat.

Same here! AND I was playing music without my headphones in!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:44 

All of these things might be fine and dandy in the provinces, but on a rush hour Tube train they'll get you lynched. And you couldn't assemble a jury inside the M25 that would convict the killers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:55 
Hibernating Druid

Don't you Sarferners prebook your train tables anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, you can.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 15:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Yeah, you can.

On a commuter train?!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 15:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Tell me the fuck about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 15:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Tomorrow at 8am (arrives in London at 8:55):

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 
Isn't that lovely?

Cras wrote:
Malc, you're a terrible human being.

Attachment:
IMG_20180719_074214.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:46 

I bet you don't put down the handrest between the seats either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 
UltraMod

Getting a bit fed up with the traffic home from Derby at 5pm. Very much looking to starting my shift pattern, whenever that may be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:57 
Isn't that lovely?

Kern wrote:
I bet you don't put down the handrest between the seats either.

I'm too big for those things. I need the space to spread a bit. Especially as the leg room is often lacking...
Attachment:
IMG_20180719_075804.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 
Gogmagog

20 mins on train at momwnt. 4g signal for 15 of them. Much better than an hour in a car through Bradford

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Commute selfies?

Attachment:
IMG_20180719_085601.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:15 
sneering elitist

I approve of your t-shirt.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Myself and everyone who sees me will be singing it all day!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Stood next to nemesis on the tube today and caught a glimpse at his phone.
Fucking Angry fucking Birds! That's what he is doing as he meanders around all over the shop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 
Comfortably Dumb

Trooper wrote:
Fucking Angry fucking Birds!

Is that a more extreme version of Tinder?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 
Hibernating Druid

Trooper wrote:
Stood next to nemesis on the tube today and caught a glimpse at his phone.
Fucking Angry fucking Birds! That's what he is doing as he meanders around all over the shop.

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 
Hibernating Druid

Jesus Malc, is that your tip poking out?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 
Isn't that lovely?

Zardoz wrote:
Jesus Malc, is that your tip poking out?

Yes, I always travel to work with my flies undone.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
(I think it may be the seat)

Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next