Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wii-U
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 14:52 
Kvnt

Hero of Excellence wrote:
You can buy a VC game now, Balloon Fight, an early NES release. It's 50Hz only.

I hear they're still using the unoptimised 50hz PAL versions for the whole lot. Fuckinell.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 16:30 
Beloved member

YOG wrote:

I hear they're still using the unoptimised 50hz PAL versions for the whole lot. Fuckinell.

That and if you put your our-region Wii U into Wii Mode for backwards compatibility, that mode is locked to 50Hz 576i. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 17:07 
Kvnt

Jesus! Hopefully there'll be some program like Gecko (from the Homebrew Channel) to get around it, but that's really shit...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:02 
Bad Girl

Yarn Yoshi.

Unfortunately there's not much gameplay footage about.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:24 

YOG wrote:

This turned out to be false. Both F-Zero and Punch-Out!! are in 60hz.

And who in their right mind wouldn't want to play Yarn Yoshi?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 13:10 
SavyGamer

All previous virtual console releases are 50hz, mind, and they're not retroactively giving you 60hz versions of ones you've already paid for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 13:15 

Sorry, I thought the conversation was about the 30p virtual console specials Nintendo are doing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 13:22 
SavyGamer

Bluecup wrote:
Sorry, I thought the conversation was about the 30p virtual console specials Nintendo are doing.

Well F-Zero was the first 60hz one, followed by Punch Out.

I think they changed their policy because of a massive backlash against it on the Miiverse. Which is actually quite promising.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 15:42 

I'm disappointed we got the rubbish NES Punch-Out rather than the ace Super Punch-Out (arguably one of the first rhythm action games).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:15 

So, Earthbound (EARTHBOUND!) is going to hit the Wii U's Virtual Console service this year in Europe and the US. Wows.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 

You can now view Miiverse though a browser.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net

But you can only sign up for an account on a Wii U.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:02 
Skillmeister

Ninty aren't doing a big E3 presentation this year. Oof.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 
SavyGamer

But they are going to do more/bigger Nintendo Directs, and they are still going to have lots of games/announcements at E3.

Seems like a pretty smart move to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:14 

I'm in two minds about it. They only really got games to show this year and they won't be able to compete against Sony and Microsoft with their new toys. They can reach the gamers though their Nintendo Directs so what would Nintendo miss out on by not doing a big song and dance? The only thing I can think of is press coverage in the standard news outlets, which they wouldn't of got much of anyway due to the other console reveals.
But it does show signs of weakness I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 
Excellent Member

Nintendo finally realise what went wrong with Wii U -

http://gematsu.com/2013/04/nintendo-wii ... e-schedule

And it's taken them this long to come to this understanding?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 17:56 
Worst

Bluecup wrote:
But it does show signs of weakness I guess.

Didn't they do that a number of years ago, and have a Planet Nintendo show of their own, or something?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 16:10 

CVG are claiming that Nintendo are going to go all megatonnage on us with lots of surprise big name (as in Mario) games soon. You'd assume so, seeing how little effort they've put into pushing their new machine these last six months...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -october/#

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 16:30 
Excellent Member

Show me Metroid Prime 4 or some innovative Zelda and i might go for it.

And there's also SMT x Fire Emblem even though i'm still not sure how it's going to turn out.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 17:15 
SavyGamer

F-Zero, a new Starfox game (by Platinum, ideally), Excite Truck 2, something Metroid would all be nice.

We already know that a new 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros will be at E3.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 13:57 

There's a playable demo of Resident Evil Revelations - but on the Wii U - on the eShop as of last night. Major advantage over the 3DS version being that you don't have to have an unwieldy contraption enveloping your machine to get dual-stick control.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 22:22 
SavyGamer

New Sonic looks a bit like Mario Galaxy and a bit like Sonic XTreme.

Will probably be shit.

Wii U/3DS only.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 15:31 
Worst

If they can get that stuff to work in a game, it could be really good. Whenever I see promo videos or screens I can't really infer anything from them. Given I'm not a massive fan of Sonic Adventure, I can't be too optimistic, but we'll see... when it's a tenner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 15:57 
SavyGamer

Another attempt to get Gamecube games working on the Wii U seems to be gaining momentum.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 13:07 

Does anyone apart from me and LewieP own a Wii U at present? I have to admit, there's no reasons, compelling or otherwise, to buy one just now. Mine gets use purely as device to browse the web through my television(!).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 13:42 
Paws for thought

I'm keeping an eye on it. But for me currently it's not worth the asking price.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 14:33 
I forgot about this - how vain

I want one. Hopefully for xmas.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 15:20 
Worst

I want one when cheap. Mario, I need you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 15:28 
Awesome
Yes

So the Wii U doesn't require you to connect to the Internet every 24 hours any more?

What a Wii U-turn!

(am I doing this right?)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 15:32 
Isn't that lovely?

I quite like the look of some of the new Nintendo games, and would like to have them, but not enough to actually buy a wii u.

If I had more money I'd probably buy one.

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 16:00 

I have one but likewise I couldn't recommend it to anyone. Maybe after christmas after a few big games are out.

Currently I'm making my way slowly through Trine 2 but am playing Super Metroid a lot more. It's really nice playing it just on the gamepad, it's a bit more intimate. Then there is always Zen Pinball to have a go on, just a shame they haven't released more tables. Oh, and Runner 2 is excellent.

Lego City Undercover is complete and I enjoyed it a lot but might be a bit lightweight for most on here. I'm unsure whether to get Pikmin, still got a couple of games on the 3DS to get though. Am tempted by Super Luigi U also.

And the web browser is handy. Boots up quicker than the laptop, larger screen size than the phone and without a tablet in the house it fills that void.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 17:27 
Excellent Member

After the Wii Nintendo will be hard pushed to ever get any more money from me. Well, for a living room console anyway; I've got nothing against the 3ds and would consider one if I'm ever in the market for an other hand held. Like any right thinking person is really love to play Bayonetta 2 but not enough to buy yet another gimmicky piece of shit that was utterly outclassed technically within months of being released. That's just me though and I won't shit up this thread further for people that are interested by it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 16:35 

Anonymous X wrote:
So, Earthbound (EARTHBOUND!) is going to hit the Wii U's Virtual Console service this year in Europe and the US. Wows.

It's available today, if you're interested in playing a mental old JRPG with blocky C64-ish graphics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 22:05 
Paws for thought

Pikmin 3: Apparently quite good.

Not sure it's enough to persuade me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 17:47 

Blimey, Pikmin 3 came early, wasn't expecting it till the weekend. But alas, I'm going out tonight so can't play.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 19:11 
Bad Girl

Pikmin is a funny old game. It's good but it's hardly amazeballs Ninty stuff. It's certainly not tempting me to drop some serious coinage to play it but I suppose if you've got a WiiU there's nowt much else out there to play.

That being said, if all the E3 games came out tomorrow I might have a serious think about thinking about maybe thinking of setting aside some room on the credit card. After I'd thought about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:04 
Worst

Anonymous X wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:

It's available today, if you're interested in playing a mental old JRPG with blocky C64-ish graphics.

Granted, it was no Chrono Trigger, visually, but it's a bit past a C64 ;)

Besides, I'm seeing loads of games with a similar aesthetic nowadays.

Plus, it's a really good game. 'Bought' it for my PSP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:11 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

The Wii-U is really not doing well

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/31/457417 ... ii-u-sales

Quote:
Nintendo posts quarterly profit despite terrible Wii U sales

Nintendo posted a return to positive results for the first quarter ended June 30, 2013, despite poor worldwide sales of Wii U hardware, the company said today in its fiscal earnings.

Results in both ordinary and net incomes saw 14.8 billion yen ($150 million) and 8.6 billion yen ($877 million), respectively, for the first quarter ended June 30, 2013. The company reported net sales of 81.5 billion yen ($831 million), where overseas sales contributed to 63.7 percent of that figure, with 51.9 billion yen ($530 million).

Wii U sales still have a "negative impact" on its profits, Nintendo reports. Only 160,000 Wii U units were sold worldwide for the quarter: 90,000 in Japan, 60,000 in North America and 10,000 in Europe and Australia. 1.03 million Wii U games were sold within the three-month period. According to the company, revenue from digital content increased by nearly 150 percent versus the same period last year.

An operating loss of 4.9 billion yen ($500 million) was attributed to greater 3DS promotion overseas to increase sales and research and development for Wii U games.

For the quarter, sales of both 3DS hardware and software saw an increase of 12 percent and 10 percent worldwide, respectively, compared to the same quarter last year. 11 million units of 3DS software and 1.4 million units 3DS hardware were sold globally.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf sold more than 1.54 million units worldwide for the quarter, with 1.19 million of those units sold outside of Japan. Tomodachi Collection moved 1.39 million units in sales. Worldwide unit sales of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon reached 1.43 million units while Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D "has been well received."

160,000 Wii-u's sold worldwide in the last 3 months

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 0:43 

Wii U owners who aren't me (if there are any here) might like to have a look at Art Academy Sketchpad on the eShop. For £3.49 you get a nice painting and drawing set with oil pastels and everything - but on the Wii U.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:38 
Skillmeister

Wind Waker HD vs GameCube graphics comparison. HD on the left, GC on the right.

Prefer the original Gamecube version for the most part. Given that they're trying to sell a ltd console on the back of this it's incredibly underwhelming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 13:04 
Excellent Member

Heh, I was just watching that very video on my phone when I clicked this link! I do prefer the HD version simply because the higher res textures make for cleaner lines that are easier on the eye but the difference is very slight and certainly less than I was expecting. I suspect the difference will be more obvious when seen on a full size screen but still.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 13:06 
UltraMod

To be fair, any Gamecube game looks terrible on an LCD screen that's larger than about 26". I had mine hooked up via RGB to my 32" and it looked bad.

Old consoles look best on small CRTs in my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 13:41 
Can you dig it?

A small embedded youtube video (watched on my laptop) maybe isn't the most representative, but I found that I'm with Dimmers, the GC version looked a bit better - the colours were a bit more vibrant (maybe oversaturated) and although they said the HD version has a better draw distance it looked a little 'foggy' and blurry.

Regardless, I thought Wind Waker was one of the best Zelda games, I loved the art style of the game and at the time found that intro (and music) AMAZING, and a little emotional actually, especially after my fond memories of Ocarina of Time.

None of the other Zelda games I've played, either before or since, really grabbed me like those two.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 13:52 
Excellent Member

Sir Taxalot wrote:
None of the other Zelda games I've played, either before or since, really grabbed me like those two.

:this: I consider myself a Zelda fan but that's based mostly on loving OoT and TWW. I liked A Link To The Past but it never grabbed me like the later two did and I couldn't get on with fucking Majora's Mask at all; the first time I ran out of time in the middle of a dungeon it got switched off in disgust. Twilight Princess was pretty good as well actually but it doesn't occupy the same place in my heart as OoT and TWW.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 16:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

SilentElk wrote:
To be fair, any Gamecube game looks terrible on an LCD screen that's larger than about 26". I had mine hooked up via RGB to my 32" and it looked bad.

You want to try an N64 on a modern LCD screen. I've had one hooked up with S Video for some time and it looks shocking. Everything is super bright and you're stuffed if the game uses a lot of white. Snowboard kids is unplayable.

Only recently have I found a proper N64 RGB scart and it's changed the console immensely. The colours are sharper and you can make out what's going on. It still looks a little rough around the edges but that's to be expected from a console this age.

I think that the best way to play Gamecube games is via a Wii hooked up with a Component cable... That's my experience anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 17:51 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

You want to try an N64 on a modern LCD screen. I've had one hooked up with S Video for some time and it looks shocking. Everything is super bright and you're stuffed if the game uses a lot of white. Snowboard kids is unplayable.

Only recently have I found a proper N64 RGB scart and it's changed the console immensely. The colours are sharper and you can make out what's going on. It still looks a little rough around the edges but that's to be expected from a console this age.

I think that the best way to play Gamecube games is via a Wii hooked up with a Component cable... That's my experience anyway.

You all might find this Gaf thread useful, it's a good and helpful read:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630556

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 17:53 
Worst

TheVision wrote:
SilentElk wrote:

Aye, I have my GC plugged into my telly via component, and I love it. It's not quite 32", but component is a lovely connection.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 

Surely the problem is that wind waker still looks good today. Also I don't think that video conveys the resolution upgrade that well. This Nintendo video, of course, makes the hd version look better.

But I'm not getting it purely because they are charging full price for it.

Anyone got toki tori 2+? I'm tempted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:46 

Bluecup wrote:
Anyone got toki tori 2+? I'm tempted.

Well, as it was on sale I got it and have played an hour or so. It's a nice little puzzle game were you have to walk from one puzzle to the next instead of selected from a menu. I wouldn't of called it a metroid type game as you don't really power up, well I haven't yet, just gain some helper tunes the bird can whistle. But there might be some backtracking later on. I'm enjoying it so far, much more than trine 2 which I stopped playing because of having to fight against the physics despite knowing what to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 

Online Wii Sports? £9 a sport. Really Nintendo?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/0 ... us_support

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 21:25 

The Wii U is really screwed if all Nintendo can think up to save it is Wii Sports in high definition with an inflated price tag.

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next