Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 15:02 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 21844
OK! Here we go. Might have to re-score these, considering some of the criteria.

Co-Op puff pastry mince pies.
Presentation : 2/20 (burned, but puffed up)
Taste : 1/20 (tastes of burned stuff)
Filling : 1/20 (was there actually any filling. Some ex filling had spilled out of sides.
Size : 5/20: quite big, but only because of puff pastry
Value : 1/20: £1.40 for 4. Not even that cheap and you are essentially paying for burnt air.

Score: 10/100

___________

Morrison’s puff pastry mince pies

Presentation : 5/20 ( pallid, not very puffy)
Taste : 1/20 (Like a sausage roll that lost its sausage. No sweetness due to lack of filling and savoury pastry with no sugar on top)
Filling : 1/20 (was there actually any filling? No.)
Size : 5/20: quite big, but only because of puff pastry
Value : 3/20: £1.20 for 4. Not particularly cheap and Verging on extortion for the amount of filling you get.

Score: 15/100

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 23:09 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 21844
Have you seen the co-op ad? What kind of monster breaks a mince pie in half before eating eating it?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 23:14 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36313
I cut one in half yesterday on the ridiculous notion that I would have the second half "later".

What. An. Idiot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 23:20 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 21844
Come on Davpaz. This isn’t your first Christmas. What were you thinking?

Unless it was one that came in a 8-12” diameter tin made for slicing* you made a serious error in judgement.

*even then, could go either way.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 0:15 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 2243
Hmm. I might put half a packet away, with the idea that I might eat them on a different day. Even that is pushing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 0:51 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48482
Mimi wrote:
Come on Davpaz. This isn’t your first Christmas. What were you thinking?

Unless it was one that came in a 8-12” diameter tin made for slicing* you made a serious error in judgement.

*even then, could go either way.


https://twitter.com/imbadatlife/status/ ... 1059948544



_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 36313
On a tangentially related Christmas foodstuffs theme: Do not be tempted by the heavily discounted "Prosecco and Peppercorn" Pringles that are currently being sold off at fire sale prices.

"They can't be that bad" you will tell yourself.
"They're Pringles! Pringles are delicious!" your lying brain will whisper.

These things are an abomination. They are mildly effervescent on the tongue. You read that right. They're fizzy. The underlying weirdness of the peppercorn flavour hits like an aftertaste freight train and stays with you for hours.

Do yourself a favour. Save your 50p. Do not buy.

We now return to your regularly scheduled mince pie review


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:37 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3453
Not a mince pie, but I've just heard the first Slade of the season. But it's not Slade, it's some terrible, Terrible europop version.

There may not be a lot of love for the original but that was an abomination.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:02 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9622
Location: Devon
DavPaz wrote:
On a tangentially related Christmas foodstuffs theme: Do not be tempted by the heavily discounted "Prosecco and Peppercorn" Pringles that are currently being sold off at fire sale prices.

"They can't be that bad" you will tell yourself.
"They're Pringles! Pringles are delicious!" your lying brain will whisper.

These things are an abomination. They are mildly effervescent on the tongue. You read that right. They're fizzy. The underlying weirdness of the peppercorn flavour hits like an aftertaste freight train and stays with you for hours.

Do yourself a favour. Save your 50p. Do not buy.

We now return to your regularly scheduled mince pie review

My wife and kids love that flavour. They're disappointed they can't find it this year!

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:03 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9622
Location: Devon
Findus Fop wrote:
Not a mince pie, but I've just heard the first Slade of the season. But it's not Slade, it's some terrible, Terrible europop version.

There may not be a lot of love for the original but that was an abomination.

Do you mean the Robbie Williams/Jamie Cullum version?

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:15 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3453
Malc wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Not a mince pie, but I've just heard the first Slade of the season. But it's not Slade, it's some terrible, Terrible europop version.

There may not be a lot of love for the original but that was an abomination.

Do you mean the Robbie Williams/Jamie Cullum version?


No it's not them. Looking at this link, I have no idea who it was, and I have no desire to wade through this sea of fetid mince.

Who knew there were so many covers of the damn thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:18 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 3453
Speaking of awful christmas things, I assume everyone has seen this? Diabolical.



Mini Fop loves it, though she thinks the lyrics are: "Have a shower, in the office"

Which makes it slightly less offensive and problematic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 13:24 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46218
Location: Cheshire
I love that

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mince pie review season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:39 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46270
Location: The erogenous zone
Had a few store mince pies last week, best of the bunch were M&S ones (deep-filled with vine fruit and a hint of cognac).

I award them 8 maids a-milking out of 10 lords a-leaping.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KovacsC, Majestic-12 [Bot], Malc and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.