Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 36
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:46 

Interesting comments there Mimi, thanks for the reply. :)

I know that in my own case that, if an elderly person was crying for help in the street (most especially where other people were clearly involved), I'd intervene as a matter of course, that is my nature. At the very least, I'd make it my business to know what the cause of their distress was, and if it became clear they were being subjected to an assault, I would come out with fists or, more likely, with whatever I could immediately lay hands upon. (It wasn't always this way; although I would've always intervened, this 'first strike' resort to physical violence response is entirely due to events of some ago that I won't go into, save to say that I know first hand what it feels like to not receive any help from anyone in an unprovoked, life-threatening attack, when it was 'my turn').

As to his being a war veteran, decorated for bravery in defence of his country (and therefore his fellow countrymen), I do personally think that this makes an already terrible situation even worse, in my opinion.

I just think there are too many people, these days moreso than in previous times, who "don't want to get involved", to the point failing to meet even basic common decency? Of course, muggers and the like well appreciate this, hence the audacious nature of this, and many other violent crimes against the weak and the old, committed in broad public, in the middle of the day, just like this example.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 19:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Sadly I wasn't watching on HD so the picture quality was poor, but Craster was just on the One Show.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 19:31 
Skillmeister

Yep, that's Craster. I recognise him because he always looks like he's leaning at a 20° angle to you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:32 
Sitting balls-back folder

Fucksake. Just spent 2.5hours getting a tomato/aubergine chutney going, still 46 minutes of cooking to go before jarring. Why the fuck didn't I do this on Sunday? Or today, since i was working at home? Can't even be arsed ordering a.pizza now.

There aren't even any washing machines in it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:38 

Actually, it turns out I could be arsed ordering a pizza.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:46 
Worst

Captain Caveman wrote:
they would have been wearing broken bottles to their faces and bollocks to the consequences.

Trying to work out which would hurt more - the bottle to the face, or the bollock to the consequences.

But yeah. I was mad enough at the lad who watched the Rothko get defaced. Watching an old dude get mugged would get me angry. More so than usual.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:30 
INFINITE POWAH

throughsilver wrote:
But yeah. I was mad enough at the lad who watched the Rothko get defaced.

You could do anything to a Rothko and it would be an improvement, in fairness.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:32 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

«resists»

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:38 
Rude Belittler

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

I'd go for burning, myself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:43 
Gogmagog

Illness returned today with a claw hammer. Fucking hell, this is day nine of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:44 
INFINITE POWAH

I had swine flu a couple of years ago. That was fucking funny, I can tell you. Three weeks of being ill, and then another three weeks of being so tired I couldn't move.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:47 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I had swine flu a couple of years ago. That was fucking funny, I can tell you. Three weeks of being ill, and then another three weeks of being so tired I couldn't move.

I remember you having that. Hopefully this isn't as bad but i hope it clears by friday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Ha, good memory.

Mrs K had whooping cough this year, so she wins the "weird things to catch as an adult" award.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:50 

Beer in the evening and berocca in the morning cure all ills.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:52 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Ha, good memory.

Mrs K had whooping cough this year, so she wins the "weird things to catch as an adult" award.

Cripes, isn't that right dangerous for an adult? Hope she's ok now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:55 
Gogmagog

I think yesterday i accidentally flirted on facebook with the lass who was my girlfriend when I were 18. Oops.

Post subject: Bits and Bobs 36
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:56 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Me too. That was evil. It completely wiped out my energy for what I thought at one point would be forever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've had wine flu a fair few times this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:59 
Gogmagog

I've never had glueh wine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 23:04 
Worst

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

I probably could, yeah. But this lad was no throughsilver.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 23:12 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Ha, good memory.

Very dangerous for kids. I very nearly died of it as a wee baby. Intensive care and everything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 
INFINITE POWAH

Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Ha, good memory.

Very dangerous for kids. I very nearly died of it as a wee baby. Intensive care and everything.

Yes, it's v.v.v.v. dangerous for kids, which I why I get so cross at our idiot hippy friend who didn't have her kid vaccinated, who then got whooping cough as a 6 year old and was ill for two months, and will now have respiratory issues for life. (Then again, this woman is so fucking stupid that even though she has cancer she doesn’t want chemo or radiotherapy as they're "unnatural" and is instead attempting to cure her bladder cancer by drinking her own piss.)

The whooping cough vaccine's effectiveness degrades over time, so you can catch whooping cough as an adult even though you’ve been vaccinated, but it's relatively mild. The issue is that because all these IDIOT HIPPIES have stopped vaccinating, we've lost the old herd immunity and it means that the virus gets around and it more likely to get to those who can be killed by it - the babies who are under the vaccination age. This is why they've started vaccinating the mothers.

When we were in hospital with First Born a few years ago we saw quite a few babies in oxygen tents with whooping cough. Absolutely terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:43 
Unpossible!

But the MMR causes the Autism!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:55 
It's all pish

*yawn*
Can someone tell my daughter that four o clock in the morning is not the time to want to play with all her toys.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:15 
Sleepyhead

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Ha, good memory.

Yes, it's v.v.v.v. dangerous for kids, which I why I get so cross at our idiot hippy friend who didn't have her kid vaccinated, who then got whooping cough as a 6 year old and was ill for two months, and will now have respiratory issues for life. (Then again, this woman is so fucking stupid that even though she has cancer she doesn’t want chemo or radiotherapy as they're "unnatural" and is instead attempting to cure her bladder cancer by drinking her own piss.)

The whooping cough vaccine's effectiveness degrades over time, so you can catch whooping cough as an adult even though you’ve been vaccinated, but it's relatively mild. The issue is that because all these IDIOT HIPPIES have stopped vaccinating, we've lost the old herd immunity and it means that the virus gets around and it more likely to get to those who can be killed by it - the babies who are under the vaccination age. This is why they've started vaccinating the mothers.

When we were in hospital with First Born a few years ago we saw quite a few babies in oxygen tents with whooping cough. Absolutely terrible.

Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Ha, good memory.

Couldn't agree more.

It's part of their "meek shall inherit the earth" plan. They've been pushing "introverts are people, too" and gathering some momentum with wearing glasses, skinny jeans,riding fixed wheeled bikes, camping in the street and organising flashmobs. And then the loud, cash rich other people ruin it for them by banging all the chicks anyway whilst they sit in a corner playing Black by Pearl Jam on an acoustic guitar and really, really hoping that Dr Sloan makes it and blogging about how cruel the world is. SO they don't vaccinate their kids in an attempt to off everyone else. As stratagies go, it's a bit fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I hold the same opinion on people that don't want their babies born in a hospital.

I normally ask them something along the lines of "Is that because you don't want your babies born?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:28 
Hibernating Druid

Er, didn't you kave your kid at home?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 
Hibernating Druid

Just realised the medicine we've been buying for our Pooch is £16.50 when bought online. They've been charging us £45 a bottle at the vets. Still need the prescription from them that costs us £6.50, but still saving a shit load doing it this way now.

Money grabbing sods.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:39 
Gogmagog

So, disporportionate force, then. The example given on the radio was "if you render an intruder unconcious, stabbing them would be considered going too far". it's really quite depressing, reading about this and the "victims can choose the punishments", as Mr Chris has rightly said that the victims are the worst possible people to have a say in a punishment for an offender.

All this rhetoric is raking up the embers of a seemingly real desire to lurch toward some form of mob justice.

As Cavey mentioned yesterday about people walking on by when bad things have happened, I think there's a real danger that if people do wade in, they'll get the wrong end of the stick. If person A is being attacked by person B, how can a bystander make a judgement involving the narrative leading up to those events? Maybe Person A had robbed person B a few minutes previous and happened to have stumbled over a drain cover and was caught? Maybe Person A is mentally ill and wants to throw themselves in front of a bus and person B is trying to restrain them? What if person A was standing by the side of the road, coutning his money out, and Person B runs past and bundles him to the floor? Seconds later, a piano drops onto the spot where Person A was seconds previous. Intervening is all very well and good when talked about, but 'street justice' is a terrible thing. We grew out of that a long while back, and this causes me real concern.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:45 
Hibernating Druid

Also means more armed burglaries too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:53 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Is it really an issue currently? Are people currently being jailed for anything less than chasing the intruder down the street with a cricket bat and beating them on the floor or shooting them in the back when they're running away?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:

Hells no. Quite simply, if we had, he wouldn't have survived.

Which is why I'm a bit of an evangelist for this, now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 
Hibernating Druid

I was sure Mrs Grim... was set on a home birth and you went to Hospital half way through when things got difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
Also means more armed burglaries too.

Reminds me:

nicking bikes is a very low risk crime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:
I was sure Mrs Grim... was set on a home birth and you went to Hospital half way through when things got difficult.

Not us.

She was "high risk" so had to be in a hospital. Turns out she was fine, just the kid was an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:02 
Hibernating Druid

Sorry, got my wires crossed somewhere then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 
Gogmagog

Squirt wrote:
Is it really an issue currently? Are people currently being jailed for anything less than chasing the intruder down the street with a cricket bat and beating them on the floor or shooting them in the back when they're running away?

It's certainly an astonishingly small number of cases. And those that have been done have been done for going overboard. The law, as it stands, is fine, it's the lynch justice mentality I dislike, and can't understand why it is being pushed forwards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:14 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Hells no. Quite simply, if we had, he wouldn't have survived.

Which is why I'm a bit of an evangelist for this, now.

Ditto. I don't think our living room would have been correctly equipped for the Mrs losing half of the blood in her body...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:18 
Gogmagog

Squirt wrote:

Quote:
An informal trawl by the CPS suggests that between 1990 and 2005 there were only 11 prosecutions of people who attacked intruders in houses, commercial premises or private land. Only seven of those resulted from domestic burglaries.

So, Grayling is basically a fucking idiot of the highest order.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:

That was us, with Second Born. We got more care and attention and had quicker potential access to a doctor then we did in the hospital with First Born. We also weren't exposed to as many filthy unwashed bloodstained surfaces.

Frankly, if you don't need to go into hospital you really shouldn't - you're taking your life in your hands every time you go in there. Mrs K, having worked in the NHS, is rather too aware of this.

Then again, if having the potential to get MRSA* is your idea of a good start to life for your kid, knock
yourself out.

*Mrs K's unclde had a brain tumour in January. He had it operated on, then got MRSA on the brain and needed further brain surgery to clean it all up. Win!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

A huge amount of people are a carrier of MRSA, your mrs will certainly be a carrier if she worked in the NHS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:27 
Unpossible!

Curiosity wrote:
Ditto. I don't think our living room would have been correctly equipped for the Mrs losing half of the blood in her body...

Snap. MrsP had a similar problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
had quicker potential access to a doctor then we did in the hospital with First Born

How does that work? Surely "In the building, ready to be summoned if necessary" is about as quick as it gets? Not criticising, just confused as to the process.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Trooper wrote:
A huge amount of people are a carrier of MRSA, your mrs will certainly be a carrier if she worked in the NHS.

Yup, although it was years ago so she may have stopped asymptomatically shedding by now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:32 
Gogmagog

If you're not putting selective pressure on genes, they tend to go away pretty quickly as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 
INFINITE POWAH

SCIENCE:

Home birth vs hospital birth, and again

I suspect it comes down to "very much depends on the individual, ultimately", and any lower risk profile for home births is due to them being self-selecting "safe" candidates.

Your biggest risk is being in a hospital at the weekend - highest death rates at theweekend due to lack of consultants.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 

Squirt wrote:

I think the issue is, or appears to be, that many people these days "don't want to get involved" in the first place - presumably out of fear of prosecution or being otherwise put through the wringer as it were? I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, though, to be sure. I'm assuming it doesn't just boil down to sheer cowardice, selfishness and/or general contempt for their fellow human beings in need, on their part.

I hear what Mali is saying about "street justice"; it's not ideal. But then, it's hardly an ideal situation in the first place, being confronted with an acute situation (entirely of the assailant's making), requiring a snap decision there and then. Like I've said, for me personally, there is no doubt: if a person is being beaten up in the street in the middle of the day, screaming for help - especially if they're vulnerable (i.e. they're a woman, child or elderly), the question of whether or not to intervene with all the force I can muster simply does not arise, but people differ and I'm not claiming to be 100% right or whatever.

Besides, 'street justice', for all its limitations, certainly prevented entire communities and their businesses from being burned to the ground during the youth riots - that is beyond doubt. More would've been saved, too, if more people were prepared and willing to stand up and be counted in the face of such adversity, intimidation and violence; to have a care for their fellow citizens, people they rub shoulders with every day. (This reminds me of Trooper's commuter thread stuff the other day; the whole "I'm going to ignore you for 20+years every morning" sentiment on the morning/evening train or whatever)

However, I believe in Karma - what goes around comes around. Sooner or later the perpetrators of these ghastly acts will come up against a Grim..., a Throughsilver or a Cavey type of person.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

That was us, with Second Born. We got more care and attention and had quicker potential access to a doctor then we did in the hospital with First Born. We also weren't exposed to as many filthy unwashed bloodstained surfaces.

How quickly can you get from your living room to your operating theatre room, though?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

How quickly can you get from your living room to your operating theatre room, though?

20 minutes or so. However, we were far, far, far less likely to need an operating theatre than we were likely to have something go wrong due to being in hospital.

Hospitals basically try to kill you while you're there. Facetious, yes, but that's basically what it amounts to, given the increased risks you have whilst there. I'll ask Mrs K for the stats later.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 60  Next