Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Being Nice about Rev Stu thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:14 

Mr Chris wrote:
I've just noticed someone has signed up as Titler...

We should get our first post in about an hour then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:15 
INFINITE POWAH

I think it's Grim... or Craster playing silly buggers.

EDIT - nope, WHOIS says not Craster. May be Grim... though. Hopefully. I'm not sure this forum is big enough for Titler.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:15 
Skillmeister

Oh you FUCKING STUPID CRETINS! Didn't any of you watch Field of Dreams!?!?!

*falls to knees*

Will we never LEARN!?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:16 
baron of techno

Mr Chris wrote:
I think it's Grim... or Craster playing silly buggers.

Nah, Mods would never do a thing like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:17 
What-ho, chaps!

Reading that thread has taught me one thing: I used to be a lot funnier. ?:|

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Um, I invited Titler a little while ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dudley wrote:
You know what I love 2 pages into that thread. Both Grim and Titler have mentioned me, but I don't remember the discussion at all, nor, till now did I think I'd EVER seen a post of Titler's ever. I assumed I never knew him.

I think you made rude assumptions about my wife, without realising that's who I was talking about, and we settled it in the space of about four posts, one of which I was quite angry in. That's why Titler thought I was going to "punch you in the face" (although I never, to my knowledge, said I'd do any such thing).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:36 
Skillmeister

If one is to punch someone, the face is a good place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:36 

That does sound considerably more like us. Hopefully someone will turn up the original.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:45 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

NOT WISE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:46 
Paws for thought

I agree with God.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:46 
Skillmeister

You would say that. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:48 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mr Chris wrote:
So, poll on whether we should invite him here to play with Grim..., then? ;)

[aside]Interesting to note that several people in that thread were bemoaning how crap WoS had become with all the silly threads, eh?[/aside]

I assume that was around the time everyone was making constant "would" jokes to any mention of women, about six months after the Triforce had worn it out. That was annoying, and it would go some way to explaining Titler's "knuckle-dragging" comments, for one thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:56 

Dudley wrote:
That does sound considerably more like us. Hopefully someone will turn up the original.

I appear to have found it here.
It's on the 3rd page, and is far less dramatic than anyone could have hoped.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fuck! All that was said was:

WoS_Grim... wrote:
Dudley wrote:
No,it's being a cunt. Just there are plenty of women that stupid, just as there are plenty of men that stupid.

I'd appreciate it if you called my wife stupid to my face, next time. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:01 
Paws for thought

Follwed by titler being titler.

Le sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:02 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
I'd appreciate it if you called my wife stupid to my face, next time.

Duly noted, sir.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:10 

Grim... wrote:
Fuck! All that was said was:

WoS_Grim... wrote:
Dudley wrote:
No,it's being a cunt. Just there are plenty of women that stupid, just as there are plenty of men that stupid.

I'd appreciate it if you called my wife stupid to my face, next time. :)

If only you'd reminded me last week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:13 
Paws for thought

So, was he big and 7 foot tall?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave wrote:
So, was he big and 7 foot tall?

Grim...'s wife?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:28 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Chris wrote:
I've just noticed someone has signed up as Titler...

Do I like Titler?

I can only remember about 6 posters names and 1 of them is Mr Dave and Mr Chris (who are the same person as we all know, rather like Jeckyl and Hyde).

I am yet to establish which one is good and which one is evil. :hat:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Craster wrote:
Grim...'s wife?

"Grim...a"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:42 
Paws for thought

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I can only remember about 6 posters names and 1 of them is Mr Dave and Mr Chris (who are the same person as we all know, rather like Jeckyl and Hyde).

I'm not sure who should be more worried about this, me or him. But I can, at the very least, handle my alcohol better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:56 
Worst

Anyway, found about Campbell from GamesMaster and Super Play as I was a console kid (and now I am a console adult, I suppose). Didn't follow him anywhere, but always rather liked that quotation my memory informs me was attributed to him, about Sensi and dying and being raised up on angel's wings.

Googled him in about 2000, when I 'discovered' the 'internet'. Not much happened. Maybe I was just upset there was no World Of Zy.

For some reason I got hooked on his site last year. Spent fucking hours reading it. I'm not one of these acolytes who hates anything with cut scenes or the word 'Fantasy' in the title, but his writing is cool (if meandering at times), a lot of recommendations were spot on (Outrun 2, Graduis V), and he got me into 'Red Light Spells Danger', for wich I will be forever grateful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:18 

Knew the name from mags, Sensible and so on - loved that Sensi manual. Then digitiser (on telly). Remembering Llamasoft stuff from years ago, I happened upon YakYak and there he was. I've only heard the Minter version of the spat between those two (and to be fair Minter is the only one of the two willing thus far to buy me a pint and fill me in) so I never really got the attitude towards him. Then when he was bullied off YY I followed (whilst staying behind, because you can do that on the internet) and then left for here from WoS when it bacame complicated just to have a nice surf over there.

But yeah, no bother here, really. Stu's ok. Also, I'm a fellow Rev, and everyone I've ever read or known who has had a pop at him, I can think of times they've been equally unpleasant on the net. Would be good to see him on here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:58 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:

You're so not getting any presents now.

Unless you invited him by using that "Hello Titler" picture.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 20:46 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Everyone seems to have my memories.
BUT:

* I was young. And stupid. I still am.
* Young, that is.
* Anyway, I, like Lave, used the "best coverdisks" method of mag purchasing. Well...you would if you were 9* year old buying magazines.
* As such, I used to flit between Amiga Action and Power. I remember having a One Amiga and a spattering of other mags like Format and so on. Format was nice (shiny covers in the later days) but never had enough on games.
* I also started reading Digitiser everyday. It used to feature a big baby headed Campbell and a scary, cyborgian Tony Mott.
* Anyway, scroll down the road of time a few years and I had stopped buying Amiga Magazines by now and moved onto PC Gamer (which I chose over its competitors, especially Zone and Computer Gaming something or other, purely on the fact that I thought it was the same magazine that I had gotten the previous month that had REALLY good cover disks, except this had a really good cover disk, so I stuck with it for 5 years. I think they were CDs by this time). I still read Digitiser.
* Come the dawn of the internet! Well, actually, it was quite a while after I'd had access to the web that I decided to search for Digitiser related things.... I found the Board of Biffo†. It wwas brilliant. Best Forum Ever. Except for the fact that it was populated by utter cunts. But it was great. Anyway, I got linked to WOS from there one day.
* I was bored one day so I read everything in the WOS archives
* I thought the forums were a bit boring and grown up compared to the loons at BOB, but after a while of seeing that stupid link pop up I eventually signed up. Mainly because I had a tendency (still do) to just sign up to any and all forums that I see.

*Age is estimated.
* That was an asterisk, not a psuedo bullet point.
† I really miss the Boards of Biffo‡. It was ruined by all those Champion cunts, wasn't it? Or did I make that up?
‡ I really miss Biffo, actually :(. It's a pity he recently raged and deleted his entire internet presence.

Goatboy wrote:
Knew the name from mags, Sensible and so on - loved that Sensi manual. Then digitiser (on telly). Remembering Llamasoft stuff from years ago, I happened upon YakYak and there he was. I've only heard the Minter version of the spat between those two (and to be fair Minter is the only one of the two willing thus far to buy me a pint and fill me in) so I never really got the attitude towards him. Then when he was bullied off YY I followed (whilst staying behind, because you can do that on the internet) and then left for here from WoS when it bacame complicated just to have a nice surf over there.

But yeah, no bother here, really. Stu's ok. Also, I'm a fellow Rev, and everyone I've ever read or known who has had a pop at him, I can think of times they've been equally unpleasant on the net. Would be good to see him on here.

a) I loved the Sensible Manuals as a youth but until a year ago had no idea who wrote them.
b) What's a fellow Rev, exactly?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 21:05 
Excellent Member

My first issue of Amiga Power was #33, after a false single issue start with (agh) Amiga Action. The writing staff impressed me from the off. There was the lovely Linda Barker (ironically and sadly she was actually recovering from horrible-thing, and Stu was filling in for her unknown to me) and the boyishly violent Cam and the immediately mysterious Nash with his excellent Doofus review, and gentlemanly J Davies and the cool Rich Pelly and Lisa and Sal and and and wow.

Amusingly, my first exposure to Stu on the Who De We Think We Are page had him talk about sweets, his pet rat and his vast library of computer games. Also looking back I've just realised that Linda is represented by Bjork. Tch, I am slow. But it's okay, I was only 14 at the time.

Stu impressed from the off with his Mortal Kombat review, which I duly bought over other recommendations in the magazine. I enjoyed many of his reviews over the years in AP, but the one I liked most was the Brutal Paws of Fury one, which had me hurting myself with laughter.

Stu was cruel, contemptuous, savage - but always fair with his reviews. And people forget how loving he could be. Oh yes. Mmm. Of all the reviewers I imagine games publishers feared him the most, which is at it should be. Unfortunately, whilst in the real world the restaurant industry respects Jonathan Meades despite his inventive savaging because they are mature and work to overcome their deficiencies, Stu was frequently savaged by game programmers. As the Amiga died and the internet took off like some glorious unholy angel, the programmers cultivated their own cult followings and created the stupid idea that Stu and AP killed the Amiga. The wave of hostility was to duly nag Stu for the rest of his thntrntiee life.

"Hang on, why are you doing some potted and highly inaccurate history of Stu?"

I don't know. Perhaps its because Stu's legend always interferes with everyone's thoughts of him. John Ford always said, "When in doubt, print the legend." In Stu's case Ford added '20 goto 10'.

Stu wasn't my favest writer, I said as much - pettily and not terribly magnaminously of me - in fact the closest I've ever got to being bitchy - in the 'What the fuck?' £2 subscriber discussion thread. He was one I very much liked though, and its impossible to think of AP without him. Even more so with AP2, which is unfailingly great and unrelentingly fair. It's through the great FREE journalism and fascinating insight of AP2 that I found WoS. And although he barely ever responded to my posts, having seemingly no interest in G K Chesterton or long forgotten cartoons with Richard E Grant in them, he'd created a pretty toppo place that I really enjoyed.

Stu's work hit me at an influential time in my life, and it may sound a little tragic but I attribute part of my development towards Amiga Power furnishing me with a fine personality, and a desperate urge to tell the world what is good and what is bad. That urge infuses Stu's being like some giant tea-bag too, and though I may disagree with him from time to time, he's never worth dismissing out of hand.

So thank you Stu for helping shape my critical world. Most magazines are content to tell the consumer what is good and what is bad and in the wretched world of computer game magazines precious few of those at that. Amiga Power went further and tried to explain to us why it was so terribly important to try, and be honest, and be funny, and be imaginative. And I thank Stu for being part of that. The sweet-junkie rat loving big-boxless bastard.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 21:09 
Excellent Member

NOW THAT IS A GOOD POST

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 21:09 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
@ Mypo: Yeah, well, you say how much you dislike me on page four, so keep readin'.

Hardly. It was a backhanded compliment though, sure...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 21:58 
Goth

A long long time ago I can still remember
How the Rev used to make me smile
And I knew if he had had the chance
That he could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

But september made me shiver
With every page I’d turn over.
Bad news delivered to my doorstep;
Your sinclair was about to stop.

I can’t remember if I cried
About the way the hurtful people lied,
But Stu had touched me deep inside
The day Your Sinclair died.

So bye-bye, Stu and Andy Ide.
Played my speccy feeling heavy,
Really wishing I'd died.
And them good old boys were playing with tears in their eyes
Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."

But then Stu wrote for a book I love,
Inspiring faith more than god above
Amiga Power tells you so?
Can you believe it was never wrong,
That reading could inspire a song,
And could it teach me how to be goro?

Well, I know that I'm in love with them
Especially stu and that chap JN
They both kicked off reviews.
In a hate of gaming blues.

I was a lonely teenage spec chum
Who had lost his place to belong,
But I knew that I was in luck
The day AP arrived.

I started singin’,
"Hey hey, this AP is ace."
Out to the shops I better had race
To buy an Amiga along with some games
Them good old boys were in Amiga Power
I'm knowing.
"this’ll be a fine new hour"

But then AP Came to an End
I'd lost yet another dear friend
Kangaroo court was adjourned
And Stu met a stickier end

For years I then wandered all alone
Searching for a ruler for the trone
And a place for you and me
I found a world on the internet
Featuring a friend I'd already met
And his name was Stuuuuuuu

I started singing
Hey Hey world of stuart is great
Amiga Power Your Sinclair and lots, lots lots more
The good old boys reunited once more
Singing
I'm so glad I didn't die
I'm so glad we didn't die

Or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 22:02 

Nirejhenge wrote:

But december made me shiver
With every page I’d turn over.
Bad news delivered to my doorstep;
Your sinclair was about to stop.

Or something.

Didn't YS finish in the summer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 22:05 
Goth

September 1993 was the last issue month.. so yes it did really. Oops.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 22:09 

Internet says September, which is how I remember it because I was trying to get a copy of the final issue when I was on holiday. The last issue I got was December '92 though, so it works for me.

Edit - Now you've made me look unnecessarily argumentative ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 22:14 
Soopah red DS

I have a chequered history with magazines - I subscribed to Amiga Format, for instance, though did at least claim some karmic credibility back by flogging them all on ebay, one by one. Most made 80p, one random (to me) one made £10, go figure. As such I came to Your Sinclair late and couldn't at first see why it was better than Sinclair User (chequered, see, here meaning "n absence of taste in my"), and I only occasionally bought Amiga Power but found that I could happily pick up any old issue of it and have a flick through and be entertained; I still quote from it now, with my favourite being the list of things that were not as bad as (was it?) Kick Off 3. Or something. Many years later I searched the net for Campbell and came across the site.

Once I'd fixed that little problem, much later, I found the forum and have enjoyed it massively and now here I am reunited but sadly having missed being a beardless wonder in a bearded drinking encounter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 22:20 

There will no doubt be another one. Of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 22:29 
Goth

My first issue of YS was August 1990 if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 23:13 

December 1988 I think, it had Combat School on the cover. Think I started subscribing the following christmas.

Edit - It was actually December 1987, I feel really old now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 23:20 
Chinny chin chin

Joans wrote:
Internet says September, which is how I remember it because I was trying to get a copy of the final issue when I was on holiday. The last issue I got was December '92 though, so it works for me.

Edit - Now you've made me look unnecessarily argumentative ;)

Yep, came out mid August 1993.

Sold my copy a few years back when I needed the money. Sad I had to do it but at least I can read it online. Really went out in a blaze of glory unlike Amstrad Action which just dribbled off into nothingness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 23:24 

I never got the last one, I cancelled my subscription in December 1992 and moved onto the Amiga. I remember seeing the final issue advertised in Amiga Power (or maybe Format), but I never managed to pick up a copy. I remember Stu's top 100 speccy games feature with Deathchase at number 1, but it was mainly the AP stuff that I remember. I'm guessing it was AP2 that lead me to WoS, but it could easily have been the other way round.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 23:24 
Chinny chin chin

Nirejhenge wrote:
My first issue of YS was August 1990 if I recall correctly.

My first regular issue was December 1991. I had purchased a few previous copies though.

Meanwhile, with all the talk of the new Indiana Jones movie, lest we forget the forgotten gem "Indiana Jones and the curse of the YS cross eyed scrawlings".

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/showmag.cgi?mag=YourSinclair/Issue45/Pages/YourSinclair4500001.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 23:28 
Chinny chin chin

Joans wrote:
I never got the last one, I cancelled my subscription in December 1992 and moved onto the Amiga.

I moved to the Amiga but still purchased AA and YS every month. Christ knows how I found the money frankly. I used to buy shit loads of magazines. Probably because our town had no decent software shops.

We did of course have "Hitler Games", but that closed down..... and it was shit. Got Putty in there though....... and some reall shit CPC budget re-releases like Kick-Off and Tin Tin On The Moon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 23:31 

I doesn't surprise me that a place called "Hitler Games" closed down. I can't even imagine how much money I've spent on magazines (or got my parents to spend for the most part). YS, Sinclair User, Crash, occasional C+VG, then Mean Machines, then AA, AP and The One with plenty of CU Amiga and Amiga Formats thrown in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 0:21 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Joans wrote:
I never got the last one, I cancelled my subscription in December 1992 and moved onto the Amiga.

I moved to the Amiga but still purchased AA and YS every month. Christ knows how I found the money frankly. I used to buy shit loads of magazines. Probably because our town had no decent software shops.

We did of course have "Hitler Games", but that closed down..... and it was shit. Got Putty in there though....... and some reall shit CPC budget re-releases like Kick-Off and Tin Tin On The Moon.

Hitler games?

Seriously?

Like, an actual shop named with the name "Hitler" in there somewhere? Phew, it's a good job it closed down before very, very violet games started to get released. "HILTER SELLS PROSTITUE KILLING SIMULATION" etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:23 
Paws for thought

"Titler Games"

Special offer in today: Buy a game and get patronised for 10 minutes, or your money back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:31 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mr Dave wrote:
"Titler Games"

Special offer in today: Buy a game and get patronised for 10 minutes, or your money back.

Punch Grim's wife for money off... or ... or something. What was he arguing about again?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:39 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 
Excellent Member

And at length.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:46 
Gogmagog

I read AP a lot when I was younger. It has influenced some of my humor. This could go one of two ways.

Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next