Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 2939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 13:48 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
Jem wrote:
Jem wrote:
I'm hovering around 160lbs because I can't be arsed to eat less, which is basically the only thing stopping me from reaching my goal of 150lbs that I set yonks ago. :S :DD


I reached 150lbs this week. I'm eating a teeny bit more sensibly but mostly it's just through the increased cardio I've been doing this year (lots of races).

I was hoping 150lbs would make my muscles more obvious, but it's not really done anything other than equal out that fatty hip I mentioned before (and depleted my generous boobage) so now not really sure what to do.

I guess I want to look like I work out. I'm not talking visible abs, because you have to lose crazy amounts of body fat to do that as a woman and I don't have the time/patience and I like burgers too much, but IDK... more obvious shoulders/upper back, bigger biceps? Not sure if losing another 10lbs would make a difference to that or if I just need to concentrate on hypertrophy. :shrug:


GJ on the weight loss; I know how difficult it can be to stick to a diet (as I never do)

Are you doing anything at the gym to specifically target your traps, lats and biceps?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 13:55 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
Yeah, I was pre-move, and had seen some more definition but it's a relatively recent change in my workouts in the grand scheme of things, so need to get back on track and keep that consistent. Probably expecting too much too soon, as is the norm.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 14:02 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
Jem wrote:
Yeah, I was pre-move, and had seen some more definition but it's a relatively recent change in my workouts in the grand scheme of things, so need to get back on track and keep that consistent. Probably expecting too much too soon, as is the norm.


:roll: guess you should go do some more pull-ups then!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 14:20 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
Working on it :S

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 14:44 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 9930
I fucking hate pull-ups/chin-ups, they're one of a couple of exercises (the other being various types of press-up) that I never seem to get any better at even while everything else improves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 15:10 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
If you're struggling with pull-ups, do some reverse bicep curls; also wide grip pull up is easier (or is for me) than chip ups.

I found a video that explained it once, it'll try and dig it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 15:13 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfGNjYogpiE

Here it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 15:20 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44206
Location: West Yorkshire
Youtube is great in some ways but not in others. If anyone says something like "In Laos, for $20, you can shoot a cow with an RPG", previously we'd all go "cool" and consider the draconian bovine-centric hegemony we live udder which prevents entertainment such as this, or cow tipping where one pushes cows over when they sleep. If it can happen, it on youtube now, bookended by "don't forget to like and subscribe". Kills the imagination and dreams so it does.

O tempora o mores.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 15:22 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
MaliA wrote:
Youtube is great in some ways but not in others. If anyone says something like "In Laos, for $20, you can shoot a cow with an RPG", previously we'd all go "cool" and consider the draconian bovine-centric hegemony we live udder which prevents entertainment such as this, or cow tipping where one pushes cows over when they sleep. If it can happen, it on youtube now, bookended by "don't forget to like and subscribe". Kills the imagination and dreams so it does.

O tempora o mores.



I always wondered if cow tipping was possible, I always heard stories about it but never considered either doing or looking it up lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 15:56 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 9930
In fairness pulls-ups haven't been in my rotation for a long time now so I might be better at them than I used to be given all the other stuff I've done in the interim. I just do what my PT gives me though because I can't be arsed thinking about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 15:58 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
That is fair; try doing some on your next gym session (you'll be more successful if you do them BEFORE you workout)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:00 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20017
Kris wrote:
If you're struggling with pull-ups, do some reverse bicep curls; also wide grip pull up is easier (or is for me) than chip ups.

I found a video that explained it once, it'll try and dig it up.


I find chin ups no problem at all, but I can't do a single wide grip pull up. Different strokes for different folks. Different pulls for different fools. Different ups for different pups.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:03 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
When you're doing them are you cheesing it by swinging or just PURE MUSCLE!?!?!? (I can't even do proper ones yet, I have to use the machine that pushes me up with an extra 10-15kgs on the bottom)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:06 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47149
Kris wrote:
That is fair; try doing some on your next gym session (you'll be more successful if you do them BEFORE you workout)


Today I learned there are people that don't consider pull-ups working out. Like some fun pre-workout hobby or snack or something.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:08 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20017
No swinging, pure muscle! My biceps are a lot stronger than my shoulders, which I assume is the difference. Like I say, I can't do a single wide grip pull up.

The one machine I really like is the the calf one, the one where you stick your toes on the edge and put the weight on your shoulders. I can pull some serious kg on that, makes me feel like superman :D. Everything else I feel like pewee Herman...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:26 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51695
Location: Nottingham
My upper body strength is laughable. I could pop your head off with my thighs though.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:38 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20017
Common fantasy of mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:42 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
Lonewolves wrote:
My upper body strength is laughable. I could pop your head off with my thighs though.

Basically this.

I have real problems with pull-ups and they've long been my #1 goal. I've been actively working on them over the course of the last fortnight by doing these negative pull-up things and am able to hold for longer and get a slower descent, so am fairly sure it's doing something.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:52 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34262
I have a strong back and shoulders, weak spindly arms and beer belly. Are we making a list? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:54 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12130
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
I have little problem with pull-ups (although I probably can't do loads in succession) but I'm pathetically weak at almost everything else.

I can do 15+ push-ups on my knuckles though.

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 16:59 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
:this: this is because you weigh like 3 stone or something :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 17:01 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
He's apparently only about 10lbs lighter than me, which I find hard to believe. And also I can squat him.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 17:08 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47149
DavPaz wrote:
I have a strong back and shoulders, weak spindly arms and beer belly. Are we making a list? :D


Are you a donkey?

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 17:24 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44315
Location: The erogenous zone
:hat:

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 18:31 
User avatar
Excellent Painter

Joined: 30th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6532
Location: Behind you
Jem wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
My upper body strength is laughable. I could pop your head off with my thighs though.

Basically this.

I have real problems with pull-ups and they've long been my #1 goal. I've been actively working on them over the course of the last fortnight by doing these negative pull-up things and am able to hold for longer and get a slower descent, so am fairly sure it's doing something.

Am I wrong in thinking that you’re tall? Pull-ups is all about the principle of moments so if you’ve got long arms you’re going to find it exponentially harder to do than someone say 5’4” with consequently shorter arms.

_________________
twitter || website
Malibu Stacy. Everybody's favourite back seat driver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 19:37 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 26th May, 2008
Posts: 3229
Jem, overhead press and bent over rows or inverted rows are great for back and shoulders. OHP is great for your core too, back, shoulders and waist were the first places I got some proper degree of muscle definition.

Those exercises, and the good old bench press, will really help your upper body strength and help you build towards pull ups, if you really want to do them.

_________________
NOTHING TO SEE HERE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 20:32 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34262
Cras wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
I have a strong back and shoulders, weak spindly arms and beer belly. Are we making a list? :D


Are you a donkey?

Giphy "wink":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/dhCx7EyeGYD7O/giphy-loop.mp4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 21:06 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
DBSnappa wrote:
Jem wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
My upper body strength is laughable. I could pop your head off with my thighs though.

Basically this.

I have real problems with pull-ups and they've long been my #1 goal. I've been actively working on them over the course of the last fortnight by doing these negative pull-up things and am able to hold for longer and get a slower descent, so am fairly sure it's doing something.

Am I wrong in thinking that you’re tall? Pull-ups is all about the principle of moments so if you’ve got long arms you’re going to find it exponentially harder to do than someone say 5’4” with consequently shorter arms.

I am 5' 8", but Gaz is over 6' tall so how come he can do them when he's a weed? :'(

(As he quite rightly just pointed out, as I've lost weight, I am also now only 4lbs heavier than him, although unless his bones are made of osmium I don't see how that's possible.)

flis wrote:
Jem, overhead press and bent over rows or inverted rows are great for back and shoulders. OHP is great for your core too, back, shoulders and waist were the first places I got some proper degree of muscle definition.

Those exercises, and the good old bench press, will really help your upper body strength and help you build towards pull ups, if you really want to do them.

I can OHP til the cows come home, and that's been part of my workouts for years. Only recently added bench though.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 21:10 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
One thing I do have that Gaz doesn't is weird elbows. I can't straighten my arms fully. I have often wondered how - if at all - that impacts upon various lifts and movements.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 21:59 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20017
Gaz may be a beanpole, but he will still have greater muscle mass and that muscle mass will be concentrated more in the upper body, purely because he is a bloke, and being a beanpole goes in his favour. You may be a similar weight, but he will be a much greater percentage of muscle than you are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 23:05 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
I know, my disbelief is not entirely serious - I regularly moan at him that he has biology in his favour. It doesn't make it any less frustrating though when I'm shifting 50, 60 kilos above my head and still can't do a pull up whereas he can barely lift a bag of cat litter and still bloody knocks them out one after the other :P

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
Have you tried doing chin-ups instead of pull-ups Jem?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
I can't do any "ups". I can't get my feet off the ground except by jumping.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:33 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
I bet you can do Hicc-ups.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
Yes, ok, I can do them. And I'm pretty great at fuck-ups too.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:41 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
I have been sat trying to think of other -ups you can do.

Fry-ups; you definitely do a good fry-up

This is all I've got


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:44 
User avatar
sneering elitist

Joined: 25th May, 2014
Posts: 2126
Location: Broseley
I'll take that.

_________________
i make websites


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:32 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10951
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
I've lost a stone.

Image

Mostly from my waist and bottom. I'm down to a 44, from a 48+ on my wedding day.

Still 3 stone to go..

Image

But it's hard because of the meds I am on. I cut 30% of my food intake and swapped out sugar for sweetener. I've been on this diet about two months, with a lot of exercise but I feel I should have lost more. Especially with all of the riding I have been doing.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:40 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34262
Good work. Crazy stare!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 
Best
User avatar
Board Mother

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 9797
Location: Mount Olympus
That's really good!

I think I found it though...

_________________
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GJ is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 21:01 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 9930
Well done dude.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:40 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
Well done great effort

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:48 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10951
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Thanks all. It is nice to be back in a XL Tshirt again, without it rolling up your stomach every time you sit down lol.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
I went the other way, I was down to slim-fit shirts; I gained a bunch of weight over a year after getting a girlfriend (wtf is that about) and now have to wear regular ones; I tried one of my shirts on the other day I am at a loss how this shirt EVER fit me at all.

Semi-related however, I threw in a couple of chin-ups when I was doing my pull-ups as I was curious as to whether or not I could do these now. I could do definitely do them but still find the pull-ups MUCH easier!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:22 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
I did a power test on the bike.. in 6 months gained 50 watts across all the tests.

Did a 100km bike ride yesterday, including a PB up the hill back in to my town at the end of the ride..

Feeling a bit chuffed.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:25 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
Nice work mate; how long did the 100km take you?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:27 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
Just under 5 hours.. took it steady on the way out, and dropped the hammer on the way back.. did 10 miles in 33 mins :)

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:30 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
Fuckin' smashed it mate; don't forget to work on your swim as well as your cycle for the next ironman!

Next stop 04:30:00 100k? :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
Kris wrote:
Fuckin' smashed it mate; don't forget to work on your swim as well as your cycle for the next ironman!

Next stop 04:30:00 100k? :P



yes I am working on my swim... that 1 second hurt me :P

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:40 

Joined: 5th Jun, 2018
Posts: 314
I'd be gutted; that being said I've not swam since I was about 16 so I don't even know how quick I'd be.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 2939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lonewolves, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.