Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:27 

From as early as I can remember I've known that sugar is bad for me. I'm quite sure everyone else does too, sugary snacks have always been regarded as fattening. This documentary seemed to be reaching a little bit in order to present a more compelling narrative. There's a story there and a case to answer but the notion that wonky health advice issued at the behest of the food industry is chiefly responsible, nah. I think they basically nailed it in the opening five minutes, food got cheaper and as a species we are no good at resisting temptation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:29 
UltraMod

Yeah, no conspiracy here, but if you want to use it to make you feel better then that's ok, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm celebrating my 0lb loss this week, with 4 cookies from sainsbury's for lunch.

That's how this diet thing works right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:
And for all they demonised it, saturated fat is still bad for you. Sadly.

Sure - in excess. It's better for you than what they replaced it with though, the 'healthy' polyunsaturated fat products. And, of course, more sugar.

markg wrote:
There's a story there and a case to answer but the notion that wonky health advice issued at the behest of the food industry is chiefly responsible, nah. I think they basically nailed it in the opening five minutes, food got cheaper and as a species we are no good at resisting temptation.

I think it's a multi-part thing. I think the dietary advice we've been given over the last 30 years is, essentially, wrong. I think the massively powerful agricultural lobby in the US has been exceedingly effective at suppressing efforts to make changes to that - see the recent example of them stepping on the World Health Organisation to prevent them from issuing anti-sugar guidance, and the fact that there is a terrifying paucity of research out there into the actual biological impact of diet, and I think we're also rubbish at eating what we should, and not what we shouldn't.

The food manufacturers are also exceptionally good at marketing to us. The second episode of that series was fascinating. The fact that British manufacturers effectively invented snacking between meals. The tagline of the Milky Way "The snack you can eat without spoiling your appetite" takes on a frightening significance when you consider that the sugar/leptin action effectively means that the snacks you're eating between meals do the opposite of spoiling your appetite - they actively suppress your "I'm full" response.

Eat less, exercise more will always be the route to health for most people. The actual structure of the modern western diet though, is pretty much entirely based on that government issued advice in the early 70s - which is provably based on self-interest, not science.

I'm not considering it some sort of shadowy conspiracy, I'm considering it a painful oversight with dangerously far-reaching consequences, that we're just starting to see the impact of.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:41 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
I'm celebrating my 0lb loss this week, with 4 cookies from sainsbury's for lunch.

In the book I got MrsA, it says (amongst other things): "Exercise more, don't eat rubbish food or have snacks, eat sensibly get used to feeling hungry, don't eat rubbish at weekends, avoid fizzy drinks, even diet ones, drink water instead" which is exactly what I've been telling her for a while, but she never believes me it is in print form and costs more than a tenner.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:47 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:

Yeah, give up. You're obviously not motivated at this time to do it. It's a real 'mind over matter' thing and you have to buy into it 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:47 
Sitting balls-back folder

markg wrote:
From as early as I can remember I've known that sugar is bad for me. I'm quite sure everyone else does too, sugary snacks have always been regarded as fattening. This documentary seemed to be reaching a little bit in order to present a more compelling narrative. There's a story there and a case to answer but the notion that wonky health advice issued at the behest of the food industry is chiefly responsible, nah. I think they basically nailed it in the opening five minutes, food got cheaper and as a species we are no good at resisting temptation.
It's hard to know how much sugar is being pumped into, well, everything though. We're trained to look for low-fat and not eat sugary sweets... but everything else is crammed full of it these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:48 

Looks like I'm having a knee op next week that will mean I won't be able to run for probably six months if rehab goes well. Going to be so hard to not put on any weight, or at least it will once I regain sufficient mobility to reach the fridge. :'(

BikNorton wrote:
markg wrote:
It's hard to know how much sugar is being pumped into, well, everything though. We're trained to look for low-fat and not eat sugary sweets... but everything else is crammed full of it these days.

Yeah, that's true, they did mention that as well.

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And, don't forget, a significant portion of all the wheat we eat is basically turned directly into sugar as you metabolise it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:49 
Sitting balls-back folder

markg wrote:
Looks like I'm having a knee op next week that will mean I won't be able to run for probably six months if rehab goes well. Going to be so hard to not put on any weight, or at least it will once I regain sufficient mobility to reach the fridge. :'(
Have the leg removed just above the knee instead - no need for the complicated op and a factored-in weight compensator!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:

Ouch, six months? Harsh.

Couch To 5K week two starts tonight. I'm strangely looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Yeah, give up. You're obviously not motivated at this time to do it. It's a real 'mind over matter' thing and you have to buy into it 100%.

Pish and piffle. Buying in to it 100% and mind over matter arguments are just excuses for people who don't want to do anything about it.
Roughly 2000ish calories a day, and running 3 times a week, it's impossible to not lose weight doing that, it's very easy to do and that is still my plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:58 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Pish and piffle. Buying in to it 100% and mind over matter arguments are just excuses for people who don't want to do anything about it.
Roughly 2000ish calories a day, and running 3 times a week, it's impossible to not lose weight doing that, it's very easy to do and that is still my plan.

Those cookies are about half of your day's allowance then. Good luck with that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

Craster wrote:
markg wrote:

Ouch, six months? Harsh.

Couch To 5K week two starts tonight. I'm strangely looking forward to it.

Run 2 of week 2 for me when I get in from work tonight :) I'm also looking forward to it in a weird way. My thoughts are usually along the lines of:

Stage 1) T-minus 2 hours = Can't wait to get out there.
Stage 2) T-minus 1 hour = Hmmm... looks like rain, i'm gonna go out anyway.
Stage 3) T-minus 5 minutes = ugh, I really don't want to do this.
Stage 4) T-minus 0 minutes = right, lets do this!
Stage 5) T-plus 15 minutes = Whose fucking idea was this bullshit.
Stage 6) T-plus 30 minutes = Awesome, can't wait to do it again.

Breaking through stage 3 is the difficulty...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:00 

BikNorton wrote:
markg wrote:
Have the leg removed just above the knee instead - no need for the complicated op and a factored-in weight compensator!

I don't think I could be any more trepidatious if I was having it removed. Especially after I had to go and watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtiRdmRfb80

:spew:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Indeed, i'm well aware of that, 1000 calories for the rest will be easy, I have about 500 left for dinner, plus an extra 300 burned off due to the run.

Piece of piss.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:05 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Indeed, i'm well aware of that, 1000 calories for the rest will be easy, I have about 500 left for dinner, plus an extra 300 burned off due to the run.

Piece of piss.

Quoting for posterity!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hey, i've lost 5lbs in 2 weeks so far, i'm doing ok ;)

In all serious, the whole "maximum attack, you must commit, losing weight is really difficult" mindset I find very weird.
I was putting on about a pound a month over the past year, which is 3500 calories a month. So I need to eat around 100 calories less a day than I was to maintain my weight.
Cutting out that extra 100 calories a day is extremely easy to do, then add on doing exercise on top of that and it is impossible not to lose weight.

Putting a load of mythology around weight loss is just an excuse to be idle. I should know, i'm the most idle person I know, procrastination is going to be my middle name when I get round to sending in the forms.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:17 
UltraMod

I think you've pretty much misunderstood everything I've just said, but ok. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think you've pretty much misunderstood everything I've just said, but ok. :)

"Yeah, give up. You're obviously not motivated at this time to do it. It's a real 'mind over matter' thing and you have to buy into it 100%."

Seemed pretty clear to me :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:37 
Gogmagog

I might try Bradley Wiggins's diet:

Quote:
"When he's at the Tour de France, his calorie intake will vary from about 4,000 to maybe even 9,000 calories a day. it's a lot but because cyclists are on the bike and in that seated position it does mean they can eat while they are racing so they can consume quite a lot of calories while they are actually doing their job.

"The team provides eating opportunities pretty much all the time for the riders - they get up in the morning and have breakfast, then on the way to the race on the bus there is snacks and food available on the bus. And when they are actually doing the race they are fed during it.

"Then immediately afterwards, they have a recovery drink followed by food on the bus, back to the hotel, snacks and food, evening meal and a bit of supper before bed. They are pretty much constantly eating while they are racing."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:

Quote:
"When he's at the Tour de France, his calorie intake will vary from about 4,000 to maybe even 9,000 calories a day. it's a lot but because cyclists are on the bike and in that seated position it does mean they can eat while they are racing so they can consume quite a lot of calories while they are actually doing their job.

"The team provides eating opportunities pretty much all the time for the riders - they get up in the morning and have breakfast, then on the way to the race on the bus there is snacks and food available on the bus. And when they are actually doing the race they are fed during it.

"Then immediately afterwards, they have a recovery drink followed by food on the bus, back to the hotel, snacks and food, evening meal and a bit of supper before bed. They are pretty much constantly eating while they are racing."

That was pretty much me this weekend, just without the racing....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 16:09 

Quote:
You have a lower BMI than 86% of males aged 15-29 in your country
You have a lower BMI than 61% of males aged 15-29 in the world
If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 29,327,825 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population
You're most like someone from Chad
8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:01 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Quote:

That was pretty much me this weekend, just without the racing....

Yesterday I had a bowl of porridge and a cheese sandwich. Then went cycling on one of the hardest routes I've ever done. It wasn't enough. I ran out of water about 2/3rds of the way through. On completion, I had a double chocolate muffin, a large cup of coffee,a bottle of lucozade, a bottle of coke and ome more water in about 10 minutes. I've been hungry all day, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:12 

When I was a bit younger and knew no better I used to go skateboarding all day and skate hard on literally nothing but haribo, fags and cans of coke. Always felt fucking great, too. I think that for all but proper athletes concern about correct nutrition etc contributes little more than a source of excuses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:20 

markg wrote:
When I was a bit younger and knew no better I used to go skateboarding all day and skate hard on literally nothing but haribo, fags and cans of coke.

:attitude:

:D

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:21 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
When I was a bit younger and knew no better I used to go skateboarding all day and skate hard on literally nothing but haribo, fags and cans of coke. Always felt fucking great, too. I think that for all but proper athletes concern about correct nutrition etc contributes little more than a source of excuses.

That's fuck tons of sugar and stimulants, though. A banana half way round would probably have sorted me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:29 
Gogmagog

I think that this topic has pushed me over into getting a road bike to get a bit of variety. I'm not great at running, and only really enjoy riding bikes when it comes to exercise. From around here, there's loads of big hills to go up, so I might take the jump and get lyrca'd up and aim for 100 miles a week to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 19:34 
Worst

I want to improve my diet. Every day, I'm consuming so much sugary stuff and white pasta.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 19:35 
Ready for action

Following on from what I said earlier about the weight I've been trying to lose, here's my inspiration.
The photo that made me realise I wanted to lose weight, taken at my cousins 30th last July...
Attachment:
185350_10150286416312241_4792112_n.jpg

...and a photo of me taken 12 months later, July 2012 last week on holiday.
Attachment:
DSCN1761.JPG

:metul: Check oot those pins!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 19:51 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Fucking hell. That's an incredible change.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 19:54 
Unpossible!

As much as I would argue that slumped over in a chair is never going to give the best picture, you look amazing in the second picture.

Well done you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 20:05 
Sleepyhead

Jen must be like :DD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 20:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

Well done! :D

2nd run of week 2 done, not a problem fitness wise but i've still got quite painful shins when I run. I know it's mostly the shock to the system due to doing fuck all for years, but I was hoping it would start to calm down now, it's the thing that stops me from running rather than being out of breath.
I think i'm going to have to get a gait analysis done and see what they say, i've got some quite good shoes but I haven't made sure they are the right ones for my style. I'm not expecting a new pair of shoes to stop the ache completely, but I might as well if i'm going to carry this on properly, at least i'll know it's just needing to get used to it then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 21:06 

DAYUMMM!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 21:12 
Best
Board Mother

*wolf whistles*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 21:30 
Worst

Gilly: awesome fat loss! myp and I are crying at the minute.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 22:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Impressive stuff, Gilly!

Trooper wrote:
2nd run of week 2 done, not a problem fitness wise but i've still got quite painful shins when I run. I know it's mostly the shock to the system due to doing fuck all for years, but I was hoping it would start to calm down now, it's the thing that stops me from running rather than being out of breath.
I think i'm going to have to get a gait analysis done and see what they say, i've got some quite good shoes but I haven't made sure they are the right ones for my style. I'm not expecting a new pair of shoes to stop the ache completely, but I might as well if i'm going to carry this on properly, at least i'll know it's just needing to get used to it then.

Same here. Last week no problem, this week unhappy shins. I've had my gait analysis done, and bought appropriately supportive shoes, so I'm not sure that'll help you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 22:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm not expecting it to help a great deal, but it's worth doing.
It's just a matter of of keeping at it until my legs strengthen I think, it's just annoying more than anything else. I know it isn't anything serious like shin splints, as the pain is completely gone after about 30 minutes, and it feels more like muscle ache than anything else.

How did you get on with week 2? I found it a bit harder than week 1, but still quite manageable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 23:01 

The shin thing will go after a while. Happens to me every year at the start of the new football season. How many days a week are you running? You having days off in between?

Post subject: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 23:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's only 3 times a week, so plenty of rest days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 23:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Trooper wrote:
How did you get on with week 2? I found it a bit harder than week 1, but still quite manageable.

Yeah, fine. Shins ache, but only when I'm running. Stops immediately the minute my bulk stops pounding the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 0:39 

Three days is fine. Give it a few more weeks and the shins will stop hurting. It's bloody agony when it happens though, so don't let it grind you down!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:25 
Honey Boo Boo

WTB wrote:
The shin thing will go after a while.

But when it does, it steals your cat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 
UltraMod

throughsilver wrote:
Gilly: awesome fat loss! myp and I are crying at the minute.

Crying into my burger.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:00 
Excellent Member

Gilly, you look amazing! Well done, you must be so pleased with the results :)

I want your legs... *reaches for axe*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 
Unpossible!

Woah... wait, I missed something!

Craster... CRASTER mind you, CRASTER is... I can't quite believe it I'm typing this... Craster is exercising.

These truly are the end of days. I'm heading home to be with my family. God speed to you all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 
Hibernating Druid

I'm surprised no one's called a low fat margarine 'Middle Aged Spread' yet.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:59 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
I'm surprised no one's called a low fat margarine 'Middle Aged Spread' yet.

a cheese spread surely? Not quite mild, not quite mature.

Reply to topic  [ 4062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 82  Next