Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1st world problems
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 20:54 
INFINITE POWAH

Fucking philistines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 22:28 
Sitting balls-back folder

MrChris wrote:
Fucking philistines

These must truly be the end times because someone agrees with MrChris.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 

Smoked cheese is lovely. The applewood is ok, a little sweet, but ok for an easy to come by selection. I’d definitely try the daurylea though because Dairylea is awesome.

Get some if the smoked cathedral city spreadable and smoke it more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Sainsbury's used to sell a smoked basil with chillies in it. I loved, but suspect I was the only one to buy it so they stopped selling it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:48 

Bobbyaro wrote:
Sainsbury's used to sell a smoked basil with chillies in it.
I hope the word "cheese" is missing from this sentence. Otherwise that's a weird foodstuff you're describing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:55 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Sainsbury's used to sell a smoked basil with chillies in it.
I hope the word "cheese" is missing from this sentence. Otherwise that's a weird foodstuff you're describing.

It’s one of their vape flavours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 13:59 

The word cheese was missing from their description as well, tbf. I think that basil was the type of cheese, but have never been able to find any reference to it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 14:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm pretty sure basil is not a type of cheese

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 14:44 

Bavarian basil. Something like that anyway, it has been a few years since I saw it.

Edit. I think it was this under a different, and ambiguous, label.
https://www.bergader.com/our-cheese-spe ... auchkaese/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 

Someone I don't know is sitting in my preferred seat in the office. Having to find a less-convivial place has got today off to a bad start for me. I know it's childish and we're all super-agile-hot-deskers etc but, grr, I like having a view.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:28 
Awesome
Yes

Kern wrote:
Someone I don't know is sitting in my preferred seat in the office. Having to find a less-convivial place has got today off to a bad start for me. I know it's childish and we're all super-agile-hot-deskers etc but, grr, I like having a view.

I can understand hot-desking as a concept if you're for example working on a project with some new people for a few weeks/months, but at least when you come in each day you know where you're sitting.

If hot-desking becomes a similar grab for prime spots in the same way as non-allocated parking spaces then it would be incredibly stressful to me:
1) Getting a spot I feel comfortable in.
2) Fighting anxiety that people are talking about how I always grab the 'good spot' because I come in earlier.
3) Where do I put all the stuff that reminds me of home, like my family photos and artwork Darwin has made.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:31 

And then I take someone else's preferred space, so they spend the day scowling at me whilst sitting in yet another person's space.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41 

Mr Russell wrote:
3) Where do I put all the stuff that reminds me of home, like my family photos and artwork Darwin has made.

I miss having postcards and other fun stuff to look at, but I'm too lazy to take in and out all day. My current office feels like a sterile workhouse. About the only decoration I carry with me is a beer mat so my cup doesn't stain the table. Still, when I get an upgrade to Windows 10 I'll be allowed to change the background picture, so I can exhibit my personality against the soullessness of the corporation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

We've gone fully hotdesking for the last year, and surprisingly everyone seems to have taken to it very well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:48 
Unpossible!

I wish some of the offices here would fucking hotdesk. Save us shuffling the fuckers around every fucking 3 months because some fucker has decided that mixing up the fucking desks makes for a better fucking team mixing environment. Which means moving all the fucking PCs, monitors and the like. Plus all of their fucking shit that goes with it.

Fuckers.

No-one's taking my desk from me though. Said the man who's been at a completely different desk miles from his own for 4 weeks. I miss my chair. And my lamp. I love lamp.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
I wish some of the offices here would fucking hotdesk. Save us shuffling the fuckers around every fucking 3 months because some fucker has decided that mixing up the fucking desks makes for a better fucking team mixing environment.

Amen, preacher!

Hotdesking FTMFW.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

We did hot desking at my old place and it didn’t bother me too much as I was always one of the first in so I had the same desk every day. The same happened with one of my colleagues. As we were in early, we always had the nicest desks.

One of the arsey managers made a passing comment one day that that’s not how hot desking works and we should move desks. Of course, I didn’t because we were following the rules of hot desking. First come, first served.

It didn’t help that we were about 5 desks short for the team so if no one was on holiday or off sick, the late comers had to go somewhere else in the building. Possibly another building.

I’m sure someone came in one morning, saw there were no desks and just turned straight around and went home.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:18 
Excellent Member

They have tried this at my place for years, what usual happens is that people get a preferred desk and they just take it over with personal stuff.

People like the fact they can work at home but still want a defined desk.

Recently a department here has tried again and made more effort so it might work this time.

Firstly they addressed all the push back from the staff, then lockers were added for people to put personal stuff into.

Finally I put in a Condeco hot desk system, these are small devices about the size and shape of an Echo Dot. They light up Red or Green to show if the desk is free or not and are fitted to screening around the desks. When you walk into the open plan area you can see if what is free.

People can book a desk via a smartphone, or on a touch screen in the department or even just walk up to a green one and touch it to book the desk.

The other issue with hotdesks was the endless models of laptop and docking stations that you would get from in our case HP, you would find 2 years in none of the newer models worked with the older docking stations, we have a single USB3 solution for the screen and other devices now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 15:21 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I don't mind hot desking.

As long as it has a monitor, so I can read my docs better, not really fussed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 15:35 

I would fucking hate the idea of hotdesking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 0:08 
Noob as of 6/8/10

But what about ACTUAL hotdesking?

We had hot desking for the last three or four years of my civil service career, and generally, it wasn’t a problem, EXCEPT that we no longer had waste bins at each desk. Some staff did the office equivalent of a dirty protest and had plastic shopping bags under their desks or hanging off the back of their chairs to put their rubbish in, the lazy fuckers. That did cause quite a lot of discontent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 0:19 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I’m not in my usual Travelodge in Glasgow this week, I’m a couple of miles down the road in the airport hotel. I don’t think they expect anyone to stay more than one night,as there’s not enough floor space to open a suitcase, the only place big enough is on the bed.

And some twat appears to have tried to cook something in the kettle, possibly a Cuppa Soup (TM), as there is some substance burned on to the bottom plate which probably explains why it switches off before the water has boiled. I spoke to a nice, helpful lady in reception about it and she said she’d have it replaced. Unfortunately she didn’t say WHEN, as I called over two hours ago and I still have the offending appliance. Maybe the chambermaid will swap it when I’m out working tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:30 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Not sure if this is a first world ‘problem’ but once again I’ve heard sexual activity in a hotel room close to mine. Unlike the incidents in Bracknell last year that involved a good deal of ecstatic moaning from both rooms adjacent to mine, tonight’s was just some steady rhythmic bed squeaking for around five minutes, building up to a speedy climax before a sudden stop. As this wasn’t followed by an ambulance siren a while later, I assume it was a happy ending.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:48 
Sleepyhead

I can’t imagine doing actual hotdesking.

People went mental when they went down from two to one pedestal each. Gotta have space for all those reams of paper!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Warhead wrote:
Not sure if this is a first world ‘problem’ but once again I’ve heard sexual activity in a hotel room close to mine. Unlike the incidents in Bracknell last year that involved a good deal of ecstatic moaning from both rooms adjacent to mine, tonight’s was just some steady rhythmic bed squeaking for around five minutes, building up to a speedy climax before a sudden stop. As this wasn’t followed by an ambulance siren a while later, I assume it was a happy ending.

Five minutes? Who were they trying to impress?!

[edit] Oh - you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:47 
Noob as of 6/8/10

On the plus side, WiFi download speed in this hotel is around 85mbps and quite bizarrely, upload is over 90mbps and it’s free, compared to Travelodge which is £3 for 24 hour’s and download is rarely over 10Mbps.

But why do so many hotels that have card keys for their rooms often activate them for only the first night, meaning that when you can’t get in to your room on the 2nd night, you have to traipse back to reception to get it reactivated? I’m often told, ‘you must have had it near your phone which has scrambled it,’ but this is bollocks as I always put my key in my protected wallet. I’ve had to do this each evening in this hotel. Maybe it’s because most guests are only here for one night and flying out from Glasgow airport the following day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Warhead wrote:
download speed in this hotel is around 85mbps and quite bizarrely, upload is over 90mbps

On synchronous connections upload is often faster than download, as fewer people on the network will be uploading.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:04 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Grim... wrote:
Warhead wrote:
download speed in this hotel is around 85mbps and quite bizarrely, upload is over 90mbps

On synchronous connections upload is often faster than download, as fewer people on the network will be uploading.

Yes, as far as I can tell, they’re all having hotel sex and saying off the net,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 17:12 
Best
Board Mother

After being awake for 24 hours and getting home, we find out the electricity has been off for a few days and we need to throw all the food from our fridge and freezers away. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 17:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Harsh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 18:25 
Best
Board Mother

Smelly.

All food disposed of, fridge freezer cleaned out and slightly repopulated, doors firmly closed on freezer for tomorrow's Jazzy to worry about and Chinese ordered.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 18:26 

Oh no! Do you know why it went off? Do you have that covered with freezer insurance or similar? I hope it’s not ruined any flooring, etc or created any smells. Sorry to hear that :(

Please get some rest, use the excuse to enjoy your favourite takeaways and re-stock with your favourite foods.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 18:27 

Haha, you were literally answering all the questions and suggestions I was typing at the same time as you were :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 18:40 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Oh no! Do you know why it went off? Do you have that covered with freezer insurance or similar? I hope it’s not ruined any flooring, etc or created any smells. Sorry to hear that :(

Please get some rest, use the excuse to enjoy your favourite takeaways and re-stock with your favourite foods.

Haha! We don't know why it tripped, but it must have been a while ago as everything was defrosted while still in the freezers and our cordless phones had lost their charge.

We do have insurance, but it's not really worth the hassle of claiming on it this time. We had been trying to wind the contents down for moving anyway. It's more the inconvenience as we had bread in there and some batch cooking that Joan's had done for when we got home.

Never mind though, we have had a lovely holiday, cereal bars for lunch and are in a position when we can just pick up our phones and have food brought to us. It's just an annoyance when you are so tired anyway and want to feed others.

You can tell the cat has been on holiday, he's put some weight on and come back with a new toy! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 

I found out today that I've been paying 40p more for parking than I should be, because I left a couple of boxes about receiving notifications by text message ticked each time I used that particular app. 40p! That's a pint every ten days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 16:56 
Gogmagog

Not having a smartphone sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 17:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Get a smartphone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 18:09 
Prince of Fops

Get an Xbox.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:25 
Excellent Member

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
After being awake for 24 hours and getting home, we find out the electricity has been off for a few days and we need to throw all the food from our fridge and freezers away. :(

Think you can get compensated for that from the electricity company?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... power-cut/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 20:37 
Noob as of 6/8/10

My daughter’s had a Samsung TV for about 18 years and decided she’d like a smart TV for Christmas. She doesn’t have an aerial connection in her bedroom so gets almost all her TV content via a Virgin TiVo or BluRay player. She went with my wife and bought a Samsung 40” 4K TV yesterday and I set it up today. She immediately said that the picture quality was worse than her old HD ready 37” TV. The assistant in Curry’s/PC World tried to sell her a fifty quid HDMI cable, telling her that she wouldn’t get the full benefit without it, but most places I’ve looked for cable reviews say that you’re being ripped off if you’re paying that much, and that as long as you get an HDMI 2 cable, it’ll be fine. We noticed that standard definition broadcasts could be a bit blurry when there was a lot of movement, and HD channels were noticebly better, but not nearly as crisp as the Samsung TV+ transmissions or stuff from her BluRay player. I buggered about with the settings but in the end the content is only going to be as good as the quality of the source signal, so she’d probalby have neen better just going for a smart HD TV. Trouble is that Currys returns policy only applies if you haven’t opened the box so she may be stuck with a good TV that she doesn’t really like.

Modern technology’s a minefield, innit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 20:53 
Best
Board Mother

asfish wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Think you can get compensated for that from the electricity company?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consu ... power-cut/

Meant to say thank you for this. But I'm pretty sure it's something in house that has tripped it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 20:55 
Best
Board Mother

Burnt my tongue on the mince pie I heated up to taste test for Mimi. Must have been the caramel inside it. :(

I still ate the cold one afterwards though. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 20:59 

To cool it back down?

Best have some ice cream to be sure.

(And oops, sorry!!! Xx)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 21:10 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mince pies can be dangerous. Mrs. H heated one up in the microwave a couple of years ago and the damn thing exploded and pebble dashed its interior.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 21:29 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
To cool it back down?

(And oops, sorry!!! Xx)

Heh, not your fault, totally my own. :)

No ice-cream, got thrown out last week. Only replacing essentials (yes I know) until the house move.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 22:13 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Mimi wrote:
To cool it back down?

(And oops, sorry!!! Xx)

Heh, not your fault, totally my own. :)

No ice-cream, got thrown out last week. Only replacing essentials (yes I know) until the house move.

Does not compute.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 22:14 

Warhead wrote:
in the microwave

Does not compute.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 23:30 
Paws for thought

Warhead wrote:
The assistant in Curry’s/PC World tried to sell her a fifty quid HDMI cable, telling her that she wouldn’t get the full benefit without it, but most places I’ve looked for cable reviews say that you’re being ripped off if you’re paying that much, and that as long as you get an HDMI 2 cable, it’ll be fine.

Ask Grim... He's the expert on this topic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:25 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Everyone’s an expert in this topic, Shirley. At least, everyone appears to have an opinion, it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Don't buy expensive HDMI cables - unless you'd also buy an expensive network cable to get the data from one PC to another in better quality.

Reply to topic  [ 2112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 43  Next